K-25

Above Average
8 (30.8%)
Average
9 (34.6%)
Below Average
9 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Oak Ridge K-25 (ETTP)  (Read 54352 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Oak Ridge K-25 (ETTP)
« on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:25 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006, 08:58 by Rennhack »

DABIGUNC

Re: Rate Oak Ridge
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2003, 01:35 »
Oak Ridge is definately an interesting place, lots of things you dont get to see on the Nuclear Power circuit. It's kinda like lots of small operations all tucked away in the woods (and at 3 different plants) and there are all kinds of HP's running around. A good place to work and not worry about being layed off (generally), a nice little place.

The only draw back to Oak Ridge, well lets just say sometimes they get so strapped for warm bodies to fill slots that if you can read a book and pass the Core Test - now your qualified to do everything the 20 year road tech can. And because there is such a gap in experience sometimes, the unexperienced are paired with the experienced.......kinda a CYA thing that most companies do.

But don't get me wrong, most road techs are gods around here in DOE land. Sure we dont know everything about all the other isotopes, but we make up for any technical lapse by knowing good, practical job coverage techniques.

Somethings have to be learned the hard way, somethings that alot of the "Home Grown" talent lack. But hell, they love ya if you can keep them out of trouble, just dont laugh too hard when the real work starts and they have to stand on their own, I laugh all the way to the bank, every 2 weeks. ::)

MOONLIGHTER6

Re: Oak Ridge
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2004, 07:47 »
One of the best DOE sites, new ventures, new facilities, visited last year.  A lot of DOE facilities are closing or restructuring, material leaving, that means contract RCT's leaving, not Oak Ridge, TN.  Cost of living is very reasonable an additional plus.  Mountain terrain with plenty of green vistas, Knoxville is the closest large city.  Navy and NRRPT qualifications are desired but don't expect more money at DOE sites.  Broad range of radiological activities "L" and "Q" DOE clearances required for some.

feathersmoke

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2004, 02:21 »
Oak Ridge is a great place to work.

roadhard

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2004, 03:02 »
Yeah, even the part-timers like it.  8)

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
  • Never Happy Until Happy With Yourself!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2004, 12:59 »
Any place that has as many places to eat as Oak Ridge has can't be all bad, it's a pretty good place, been here 8 yrs now.
I NEVER KNEW LOVE, I JUST KNOW THE SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT LIES!

MOONLIGHTER6

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2004, 08:14 »
Did someone say eating places in Oak Ridge, TN !!

I love Calhoun's on the river, just sent some of my biker friends by there during a recent trip.  Needless to say, they raved about the food and the location, prices were nice too.  Calhoun's has three locations but "on the river" is my favorite, excellent lunch buffet so you can try many different foods.   

http://www.calhouns.com/cal/loc_knoxville.htm

radman5030

Re: Oak Ridge: ETTP
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2005, 02:10 »
Hey Mike,
Many people don't know that K-25 site is within ETTP. Maybe you can put K-25/ETTP or ETTP/K-25 that way people who are not familar with Oak Ridge or ETTP will be able to ask questions, or comment on K-25.  Just a suggestion.  Thanks, LD5030 :)

alphadude

« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2005, 02:57 »
I guess the kitchen got too hot for all them cooks???

merlin_the_wizard

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2005, 04:04 »
Anyone information on ETTP/K-25 site would be greatly appreciated.  Are the supervisors good to work for?  Is it "typical" RCT stuff?  Thanks.

merlin_the_wizard

Re: Oak Ridge: ETTP/K25
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2005, 09:41 »
Still interested in any info about K25.  What is the nature of the RCT jobs there?  Is it research/development, radwaste, etc.....  Are the supervisors good to work for? 

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Oak Ridge: ETTP/K-25
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2005, 10:29 »
K-25 used to be used in Enriching Uranium.  It is in D&D.  A RCT would most likely need to perform job coverage in highly enriched Uranium environment, as well as other hazards do to the mothballed state, i.e. guano, mold, etc.

seanbuckeyefan

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2005, 08:51 »
Hey mike whats going on in there, or are you not there anymore ,i heard through the grape vine some things.
wow big nerws what is next, maybe i should of stayed a bit longer. well im not going to spread the news but just wanted to say hi and see if you can tell me whats going on there. email with more info sean brenner

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2005, 01:15 »
I was/am working on the K-33 side of it, at least for a few more days.

I don't know anything about the K-25 side of the fence.

merlin_the_wizard

« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2005, 04:27 »
Anyone have information on K-25/ETTP in Oak Ridge?  Is it a place you would recommend to work?  I seem to be having a hard time getting any info about what it is like to work there and Kelly can't tell me much.

Angel

« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2005, 04:52 »
I don't work there but my husband works there as a forman.  He says they are still working out the bugs and a little confused at this point.  They haven't done much as far as work at this point but are trying to get started.  As far as working there, he says its fine just aggrivating to get started on something and then made to stop because they forgot to cover something in the work package or put you on something else.  It'll take awhile to work the quirks out.  As far as the supervisors its the usual complaints from what I hear.  Anyway, maybe this helped you a little.  Have a great day!

merlin_the_wizard

« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2005, 05:56 »
What is the specific nature of an RCT's job at ETTP/K-25? 

Offline TN-Man

• Light User
  • It's not the ending that matters..It's the journey
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2005, 11:58 »
I work at the X-10/ORNL site, Melton Valley to be exact. A lot going on here. I have noticed that Kelly is now advertising 32+ hours OT!!. Many of us here do not like the long hours and it is only going to get worse. The work is the easiest work I have ever done. All we are doing is moving dirt. They say the work will last 5-8 years and I can believe it. Every time we dig a site we find more hot dirt. A lot of stories that folks at commercial sites would not understand. Merlin, don't be upset with Kelly, they simply do not know the details about what we do. They just supply RCT and the sites get them accoding to need. You could end up at K-25 or X-10 or???? There is no way of knowing where you will be. I can tell everyone that there is a lot of oppertunities, once you are here. Great place to build senior time.
Sometimes I look back on my life and think I could have had to work for a living. Thank God, I'm an HP.

Offline TN-Man

• Light User
  • It's not the ending that matters..It's the journey
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2005, 10:16 »
What hours are they working at K25??
Sometimes I look back on my life and think I could have had to work for a living. Thank God, I'm an HP.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 08:20 »
Does anyone have any idea  if and when they are going to be hiring more HP Techs for K-25 or X-10. Have gotten some different stories from different companies and other sources.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #20 on: Jul 26, 2005, 09:25 »
Who is running the Shonka show now?
I know D.D. is with Millenium. I ran into him a couple times in Knoxville.
Are we still running SCM's over there?
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2005, 12:07 by Camella Black »

Shonkatoys

« Reply #21 on: Jul 26, 2005, 11:34 »
We are still running SCM's at the BNFL project. Shonka and Millenium are teaming on this project. Shonka has opened a office in Oak Ridge near the Y12 Credit Union on Illinois.  It is in the Pine Ridge Office Complex about 1/4 mile on the right past Y12 Credit Union. You can check out some 21st century HP on Nukeworker pictures at,  http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/thumbnails410.html
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2005, 12:11 by Camella Black »

foreverajr

« Reply #22 on: Jul 27, 2005, 08:28 »
Does anyone know of any projects similar in nature that will be coming up?  (Surveying, surveying and then going back to survey some more) 

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #23 on: Jul 27, 2005, 09:14 »
I would assume this:

When the big fiscal budget opens itself to all the eaglets looking for a worm, the K-25 project would begin bringing technicians in.
That would include: Decon, Survey, Junior RCT, Senior RCT, Lead RCT, RCT Supervisor, and on up the line.

Remember, this is just one man's opinion. Nevertheless, I will post more here when the rumor mill begins to churn. The latest rumor was they wanted to staff up for K-25 "big-time", around Mid-August or Early-September.

This is probably your best time to send resumes to all the different companies.

foreverajr

« Reply #24 on: Jul 27, 2005, 01:44 »
I've heard that rumor as well, but don't know what to think about it.  I've sent my resume out to a few companies.  Who/Where would you suggest I send it to? 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?