Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke to Pilot?  

Author Topic: Nuke to Pilot?  (Read 16561 times)

drbyyz

Nuke to Pilot?
« on: Apr 19, 2007, 01:08 »
Anyone know anything about going through Nuke school and then getting picked up for flight school?  I've heard of a couple people doing it before and just wondering what the best way of doing it might be if I decide Nuke life isn't for me.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Nuke to Pilot?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2007, 01:45 »
I don't remember any Nukes going pilot but there were pilots with a career path of Carrier CO that went back to Nuke school as Cmdrs. I did a few training watches with them and they were the easiest students to work with, much better than the JO's.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007, 02:09 by Marlin »

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2007, 02:36 »
I don't remember any Nukes going pilot but there were pilots with a career path of Carrier CO that went back to Nuke school as Cmdrs. I did a few training watches with them and they were the easiest students to work with, much better than the JO's.

Those carrier CO Designates were some of the coolest and easiest to get along with officers that I ever met.

Mike

Charles U Farley

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2007, 03:11 »
Anyone know anything about going through Nuke school and then getting picked up for flight school?  I've heard of a couple people doing it before and just wondering what the best way of doing it might be if I decide Nuke life isn't for me.

The STA21 program has a flight option.  Learn to fly a Cesna on your own, get the basic flight license and apply for STA 21.  The few people I know of who have had a decent grasp on the exam material have all been picked up to go to flight school.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007, 03:13 by Charles U Farley »

gregthornton26

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2007, 06:36 »
 Hey going Nuke to pilot is the way to go.  As a matter of fact a couple of years ago one of the blue angel pilots was a prior enlisted Nuke ELT.   That is sooo WaAAAAAAY COOOOL.  Keep in mind that the navy is having a shortage of nuke qualified officers.  Allot of the kids that go through the commissioning sources that would have gone nuke due to eyesight have had that hurdle removed through the advent of lasik surgery,  I have known a couple of guys who went Nuke and held their noses and became non nuke officers as well as aviators.  Keep in mind the competition is tough.   You may want to think about a little known commissioing source.  Its known as the United States Merchant Marine Academy.   Although it doesnt have the Name recognition that the Naval Academy does we do have a few guys who commanded squadrons as well as Aircraft Carriers as well as a couple of astronauts.   If you have gone nuke and arent wild about the hours consider applying for an appointment to Kings Point.  Its not easy but you wont have to crawl over everyone trying to get to the recruiters door.  Orders to Kings Point are just like orders to the Naval Academy.  If you dont like it after two years you can go back in the navy to serve out your commitment or back to being a civillian.  Good Luck !!!!!

Vr Greg Thornton CDR USN(RC) USMMA 1986

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2007, 07:47 »
Just wondering when this became www.pilotworker.com?

Mike

navytwinmom

« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2007, 10:31 »
Just wondering when this became www.pilotworker.com?

Mike

Well BZ per the time stamp  "on: Today at 10:08"  Gosh for a guy that preaches about looking things up for yourself you should really take your own advice!  :P

Ahhhhh BZ you know I am just kidding....could not resist...besides after 16 years I am unemployed....had a couple of beers.... :-X

Good luck with the nuke to pilot project....hope it works out.

SuperStang

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 08:45 »
If you are currently enlisted the best way o go is STA-21.  You do not need to get your pilots license (it may help).  I was just commissioned through that program (going nuke).  There are plenty of ex-nukes in the program going to whatever URL they want.  If you are not pre-selected for pilot when you get picked up for the program (Core) you will have to compete with all of the MIDN for an aviation billet.  Right now they are approving everyone for pilot that passes the test.  Hope this helps.  Good luck   :)

Ron Simmons

wolfy659

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:05 »
I can speak from personal experience...my to-be roommate in NY just got accepted for NFO, INTEL & FLIGHT. He's and EM3, had his master's before coming in, and was class leader of my a-school section and his power school section. It is EXTREMELY rare (I think he's only the second one to get accepted since they moved the program to SC) He's not an outstanding student (mid range) or Mr. Go-Navy either, but works hard and deserve it (plus he already had his degree...so right to OCS).

So it is possible, if you want it bad enough (and more importantly, if you make yourself a canidate  they just can't turn down)

Best of luck!

CharlieRock

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 08:35 »
Not rare at all.  Just when I was on staff at NNPTC (Orlando 97-98, Goose Creek 98-2000) two staff members were picked up right to OCS as pilots.  I can't say how many of the students went aviator (as officer pick ups) BUT I was eating in the wardroom of the CVN 75 less than a year and not one but two of my former enlisted students came up to me to say hello - both pilots in the same squadron (now that's a coincidence).  Pilot/NFO is a very attainable goal.

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2007, 11:57 »
Going to Nuke to Pilot is absolutely possible.  I am currently in the Nav and served aboard the USS John C. Stennis for about 4 years.  My third CO onboard which to over last April was an ex-nuke pick up in ELT school for a program similar to STA-21.  So, yes it is most certainly possible, but I would be willing to bet it is rather difficult to attain.  Funny though, the whole Rx Dept was excited about getting this guy.  We figured being an ex-nuke he would have a soft spot for us, this was not the case however.  Unlike most CO's who come on board he actually knew his stuff about the plant and studied it constantly so if we went up to boards with him it was no longer just a formality.  Later.

cleonard19

« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2007, 12:49 »
Sorry to bring up a relatively dead topic, but I just went through MEPS today, got a 95 on my ASVAB, Chief pulled me aside and sold me on nuke, which I'm perfectly fine with. I'll gladly do my 20 years (assuming my patience lasts that long) in nuke if I don't make it, but I've always wanted to be a pilot (uncle, cousin, father... all pilots) and I want to do it from the enlisted ranks.

So my question is...... when's the best time to apply to STA-21?  Do it out of boot? after A school? after power school? Or should I wait a couple years, make PO 2nd class then apply? I'm just trying to figure out when the BEST time to apply is, as far as chances of getting accepted are concerned. I understand that at the end of the day you stand on your own merits, but working in the admissions office of my old college (no, i dont have a degree, decided I didn't like where I was going with life) I know that there's better times to apply than others.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Chris

Samabby

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2007, 09:03 »
So, you have been in college but didn't want to be in college and NOW you want the STA21? Time to have a serious talk with yourself, young fella. I am sure that you are bright (all Nukes are !) but this doesn't always translate into instant success. You face an amazing amount of hard work for the next 20 months.Good luck.

cleonard19

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2007, 04:16 »
So, you have been in college but didn't want to be in college and NOW you want the STA21? Time to have a serious talk with yourself, young fella. I am sure that you are bright (all Nukes are !) but this doesn't always translate into instant success. You face an amazing amount of hard work for the next 20 months.Good luck.

There was a death in my immediate family. College wasn't in the cards at the time. And me being away at school when it happened instantly made college the last place I wanted to be at for a very long time.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2007, 04:52 »
You should apply for STA-21 ASAP. A lot of kids go through it several times until they are picked up or give up.

Goodluck.

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?