Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Contest: New Forum Badges  

Author Topic: Contest: New Forum Badges  (Read 14220 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Contest: New Forum Badges
« on: Jul 09, 2010, 10:11 »
Our Forum Badges are getting a little long in the tooth.  I'd like to have some new ones.  I think it will make a good contest.

The winning entry will recieve their choice of NukeWorker shirt.  No site staff or relatives of site staff are eligible to win.

Below are the current Badges, next to them are the "Current" titles, as we have updated most of the titles:

Gold Member
Forum Administrator
Senior Forum Staff
Forum Staff
Probation
And potentially a Gold Member with "NoHolds Barred" access badge.

I prefer GIF files in the 2-3 kB file size range. About 107 x 21 pixels, as the that is the size of the current images, but one pixel in either direction shouldnt muck things up too bad.

For bonus points, you can make some to replace the stars for the post dependant member groups:

Lurker  (Zero Posts)
Lite User (1 Post)
Moderate User (10 Posts)
Heavy User (50 Posts)
V Heavy User (250 Posts)

Contest ends July 23rd, 2010 at 10pm Eastern time so don't delay.  First entry also gets a bonus point.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Contest: New Forum Badges
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2010, 11:21 »
"Badges?... We don't need no... stinkin' badges!"

Sorry, predictable, trite, banal, and unimaginitive but it seemed a moral imperitive that it be said.

Offline RFleming

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2010, 11:55 »
no worries. this is a forum.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2010, 04:01 »
We have had no interest in this contest, so it has been canceled extended until the September 15th.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2010, 04:35 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2010, 03:38 »
This is what I have changed the badges to.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2010, 03:42 »
I didn't think I was going to like the new badges, but it's a nice change.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2010, 10:34 »
I'd like to respectfully dissent; the old Gold Member badge with the little St Gaudens $20 gold piece (for so few pixels to work with, looked darn nice!) added a nice flair. Any chance that might be a version 2.1 mod? Thanks!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:00 »
I'd like to respectfully dissent; the old Gold Member badge with the little St Gaudens $20 gold piece (for so few pixels to work with, looked darn nice!) added a nice flair. Any chance that might be a version 2.1 mod? Thanks!

Too bad you didn't make a submission to the contest.

I really expected you to submit several ideas, as you typically love to dabble with your photoshop.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2010, 11:01 by Rennhack »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:17 »
Too bad you didn't make a submission to the contest.

I really expected you to submit several ideas, as you typically love to dabble with your photoshop.

swapped from nights to dayshifts, 7 in a row, not enough time.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:37 »
swapped from nights to dayshifts, 7 in a row, not enough time.

All I can say is that in 8.25 days, no one expressed any interest other than saying that we didn't need any badges, and apparently I spelled something wrong.

There was not one positive comment.  Not one person said they intended to enter.  Not one person said they thought it was a good idea.  Nothing.  Just a couple of people making fun of the idea.

I only started the contest to try to give people a little fun in their day.  What I got was derision and snotty comments.  Thanks.

I'm sure in 8.25 days you could have at least posted and said you intended to create some badges when you had time.  Or said that the contest sounded like fun, and you couldn't wait to get time to make something.  It's not as if you didn't log in and post during those days.

It isn't until everything is canceled and changed that you decide to critique what was done.

I know I am being sensitive, grouchy, and argumentative.  I’m sorry.  But for months now, I’ve heard nothing but complaint after complaint after complaint.  I think the score is 578 complaints to 2 kind words.  And those kind words were in the last 2 days.

I can only take so much.   Sometimes I need a little pat on the head, or a hug… or something.  Maybe a love fest, and we can all sing kum bay ya.

But for months now…. Nothing but attacks.  Maybe I should take the Advise I gave Camella.  Maybe I should take a few weeks off.  See you in August.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:55 »
All I can say is that in 8.25 days, no one expressed any interest other than saying that we didn't need any badges, and apparently I spelled something wrong.

There was not one positive comment.  Not one person said they intended to enter.  Not one person said they thought it was a good idea.  Nothing.  Just a couple of people making fun of the idea.

I only started the contest to try to give people a little fun in their day.  What I got was derision and snotty comments.  Thanks.

I'm sure in 8.25 days you could have at least posted and said you intended to create some badges when you had time.  Or said that the contest sounded like fun, and you couldn't wait to get time to make something.  It's not as if you didn't log in and post during those days.

It isn't until everything is canceled and changed that you decide to critique what was done.

I know I am being sensitive, grouchy, and argumentative.  I’m sorry.  But for months now, I’ve heard nothing but complaint after complaint after complaint.  I think the score is 578 complaints to 2 kind words.  And those kind words were in the last 2 days.

I can only take so much.   Sometimes I need a little pat on the head, or a hug… or something.  Maybe a love fest, and we can all sing kum bay ya.

But for months now…. Nothing but attacks.  Maybe I should take the Advise I gave Camella.  Maybe I should take a few weeks off.  See you in August.

well i tried to give you karma but i gave it to you last night... so i owe you one. i wanted to entire the contest and even dabbled a little but lacked the belief in myself so i never submitted my ideas.  i like the new ones, they are cleaner and it is easier one the eye.

you do a good job, and although i get bent out of shape at times i am glad that i decided to visit n.w. all those years ago.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2010, 12:12 »

Or the win-win...we all take a breath, mellow out, extend it til August or September. Heck, I won't even smite ya for the scolding  :P

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2010, 12:28 »
extend it til August or September

Only if you promise me at least 2 people will submit entries.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2010, 12:45 »

I'll see what I can do!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2010, 01:21 »
I did not respond to the contest because I am not an artist and I liked the old ones. Instead of being negative, I was going to give the submissions a chance to see if someone came up with something better. They didn't. To me the new ones are a significant downgrade from the originals, but that is an opinion, not a complaint. Change for the sake of change is not always a good thing. (That's another opinion, just in case you missed it.  :))
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2010, 01:34 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2010, 02:10 »
I'd love to submit an entry but alas, I'm ignorant when it come to telling a computer what I want it to do.  Like Roger, I was going to wait to see entries from more compatent users and comment on them.
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2010, 04:36 »
See? Game on !! :)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2010, 07:16 »
It's open till September 15th, 2011

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2010, 08:36 »
Any limit on post count icons? And, must they be .gif, or is .jpg possible? Thanks!

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:20 »
Maybe have Flame Warrior designations like,Troglodyte, Wienie, Fragile Fem, Yuk Yuk, Whiner etc. for Gold members to vote on. Only agree to be rated by others or opt out. For Example I give HydroDave the Yuk Yuk!!! For the magic flute in the Gold area.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:38 »
Any limit on post count icons? And, must they be .gif, or is .jpg possible? Thanks!

No limit.

Maybe have Flame Warrior designations like,Troglodyte, Wienie, Fragile Fem, Yuk Yuk, Whiner etc. for Gold members to vote on. Only agree to be rated by others or opt out. For Example I give HydroDave the Yuk Yuk!!! For the magic flute in the Gold area.

Um... No.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:39 »

I'm not agains NEW names for the post count groups, just not THOSE names.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?