Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu eligibility for nupoc program honeypot

Author Topic: eligibility for nupoc program  (Read 13755 times)

ibrewer0310

eligibility for nupoc program
« on: Apr 25, 2007, 10:43 »
Hello,
This is my first post to this website. I am considering joining in the nuclear field with the navy, but need a little help before I have *fun* with the recruiters.

I applied for the nuke program 2 years ago, but due to a petty theft misdemeanor I could not get into the program. The recruiter said that the electrician side would be nearly identical, but I didn't fall for it and backed out.

Now, 2 years later, I've went back to school, was on the Dean's List, my 99 on the ASVAB is still valid and am considering going to the nupoc program for nuke officer or the enlisted side. I had a full ride to college at Case Western Reserve University, am married with two children, and while I hate to say that money is an issue, I'll be dropping my business which I make 8000 a month in to this program where I'll barely get by. I am considering this because I want to be a Nuke officer, but not at the sacrifice of my family's well-being.

The question I have is, the recruiter is saying I have no chance of making the nupoc program, but to make officer I would have a better chance by going throught the enlisted side and opting for OCS. Is this true? Last time I checked, OCS is the last resort for officers and I figured the already enlisted soldiers will have a better chance since they have proved themselves rather than myself, a "fresh fish". Is there a way to get minor misdemeanors (stolen pack of cigarettes...it was a stupid prank) waivered and make the NUPOC program?

any input would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
isaiah

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
Re: eligibility for nupoc program
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2007, 07:26 »
If family is the most important thing to you, then why would you want to spend 6-8 months at a time away from them?

Find some other way to improve your self-esteem.  OCS is never ever a gimme, or a sure thing!

I can almost assure you that your marriage will suffer greatly if you change careers.

YOU MUST HAVE BUMPED YOUR HEAD!
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2007, 03:34 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2007, 07:39 »
Are you serious??? You have a full ride to CWRU one of the most selective and expensive schools in the country and you want to leave it to become a nuke officer??

I doubt I'd want to have you working for me because I have SERIOUS doubts about your judgement.

Mike

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2007, 08:16 »
Ain't taken the bait. :-X

Offline peachie

• Light User
  • It's my own private, personal, private business.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2007, 12:07 »
I implore you, DON'T BE AN IDIOT!!  As an ex-Navy nuke (enlisted) with a son currently attending CWRU, I truly believe you'd be making one hell of a life altering mistake.  Don't get me wrong, it took me quite a while to truly appreciate the education I received in the Navy.  However, missing the birth and the first three months of my aforementioned son's life (while out to sea on the 1st of 3 West-Pacs and 1 "surge ops" during my 6 year enlistment) was devastating.
Better living through chemistry.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2007, 04:52 »
Hello,
This is my first post to this website. I am considering joining in the nuclear field with the navy, but need a little help before I have *fun* with the recruiters.

So, help us understand here...during a time of war, you want to waste a recruiter's time, and possibly soak up a billet in a complex and difficult profession, to stoke your ego.

Last time I checked, OCS is the last resort for officers and I figured the already enlisted soldiers will have a better chance since they have proved themselves rather than myself, a "fresh fish".

Last resort,interesting choice of words, seems you would certainly look down from your lofty 8000/month position at those enlisted who, with hard work, great evals and study, would apply for a commission that you should get, just for showing up!

Is there a way to get minor misdemeanors (stolen pack of cigarettes...it was a stupid prank) waivered and make the NUPOC program?

Integrity violation, hopefully not waivered.

Naval Nuclear Power is a club not everyone can join...

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2007, 10:54 »

So, help us understand here...during a time of war, you want to waste a recruiter's time, and possibly soak up a billet in a complex and difficult profession, to stoke your ego.

Bit harsh dont you think? Cant blame a dude for being interested in serving in the military, whether or not he has doubts!

Integrity violation, hopefully not waivered.

Naval Nuclear Power is a club not everyone can join...

You do know they are letting cheaters stay in the program now right? Petty larceny is bologne compared with some of the stuff our shipmates are doing with there lives around that school. When I said Rickover High, I really did mean Rickover High. I think my pipeline is far different then the ones you guys went through, unfortunately.

-graham

Charles U Farley

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2007, 12:34 »
You do know they are letting cheaters stay in the program now right? Petty larceny is bologne compared with some of the stuff our shipmates are doing with there lives around that school.

Why do you think there is a large vacuum at the 8 to 12 year window?  Zone B bonuses keep going through the roof, yet they can't seem to convince decent guys to stay in.  Peoples honest intentions are exacerbated by the juggernaut, unable to change anything for the better.  The NR CMC said something to the effect that they are making the wrong people chief.  That was in response to someone asking him why all the 8 year chiefs were rolling out.  He thought they should reserve advancement for those who were "committed" to the navy.  So be it.

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2007, 12:38 »
You do know they are letting cheaters stay in the program now right? Petty larceny is bologne compared with some of the stuff our shipmates are doing with there lives around that school. When I said Rickover High, I really did mean Rickover High. I think my pipeline is far different then the ones you guys went through, unfortunately.

-graham

[/quote]
And that is a shame in itself too.  My My, and I have to surrender myself to security when I have anything over a fine of $200 including traffic violations.  Where did I go wrong?  Maybe I wouldn't have dropped if I lowered my standards too.  The irony!

Don't do it Isaiah without really laying it out and thinking where you want to be 8-10 years down the road.  

It's a Canoe Club or a Rat Race;  structure or flexibilty; fixed income or perfomanced based income; look darn good in that uniform or look darn good as member of the Chamber of Commerce; "we didn't issue you a family in your seabag" or home most nights, tired, kids kiss you before their off to bed - Priceless!
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Sirveri

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2007, 02:59 »
You're making 8k a month and want to take a pay cut of 6500/month and get to spend a ton of time away from your wife and family. If you hate your family, you hate the money you are making, you hate having the freedom to do and say what you want, then by all means, join up.

Oh and this is MY little power school 'fallen standards' story.
I am fairly new and nubbly (fleet wise), hence being bitter and pissed off all the time. But back when I was in NPS a bit over a year ago I decided I was going to tutor the weaker students because I am incredibly good at the school environment. The one I took under my wing had waivers for:
Assault
Jail time
Drug usage
GED
and my favorite waiver, too many waivers waiver. Get more than ten and that will be your eleventh. He is not allowed to own a baseball bat in the state of New Jersey. He failed A school math in the square root club (lower than 1.0 both tests). But he was my classmate, and we were all going to get through this together, so since I didn't need to spnd the time studying, I helped him study instead. He graduated with a 2.7 something. Not a single person in our section failed out, we got them all through. That's called being a shipmate and helping the weakest link. As for integrity, he was told by a chief, if you ain't cheating you ain't tryin'. That's NNPP today. I'm happy to say that all he needed was to buckle down and pay attention and to try and retain the material in ways that made sense, that was his problem, he tried to study and would get distracted and goof around, or he would just try to rote memorize the material. If you understand then you know, if you know it then you sure as heck won't forget it for the test, because the answer will be obvious and make sense. You might get hit for the way you say it, but you will still get a passing score on the question.

ibrewer0310

« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2007, 10:28 »
i wasn't trying to give the recruiters a hard time...give you an example...i went to the recruiter and asked about the nupoc program and he said he didn't know about it and that it didn't exist.

when i was filling some of the paper work at his desk i went on the NAVY site and pointed it out and he said it was pre-dated. I was in sales before i had my business so i understand he didn't really want to help me to find something out that he wouldn't get credit for

...I wasn't joining the Navy NUkes because of money and so I was willing to give up the "great" money because i thought it would make me happier....yes it's a cliche but money doesn't buy happiness.

what i wanted help with is...is it possible to make the navy nupoc program with a misdemeanor...that's what i wanted to go for so i could 1) make enough to live on and have more future and eventually captain a ship.

any help?

Charles U Farley

« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2007, 10:40 »
Yes, just about anything is waiverable.  Go for what you want and be honest and forthright with everything asked.

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2007, 01:48 »

what i wanted help with is...is it possible to make the navy nupoc program with a misdemeanor...that's what i wanted to go for so i could 1) make enough to live on and have more future and eventually captain a ship.

any help?

Go for it dude.  Can't mess with a man's dream!  Being a Captain would be too cool!!
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?