Diablo Canyon

Above Average
71 (86.6%)
Average
8 (9.8%)
Below Average
3 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Diablo Canyon  (Read 184737 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Diablo Canyon
« on: Aug 12, 2001, 02:37 »
Don't forget to vote. Keep it civil.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007, 05:58 by Marlin »

Pet_Cow

Re: Rate Diablo Canyon
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2002, 08:47 »
Oh sure- the food is great, pay is nice,  every sunset is a postcard, they let you play cards, the bars are open in the morning, and you can visit Charlie Manson in your off time, (we bonded) but why would anyone want to work there? Where is the challenge?

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2002, 04:48 »
Cause they treat you like a human being. :)  As for the challenge, obviously you have not been there recently.  Techs have gotten less and work load more.  They actually expect you to be a tech, not just show up for money.  Best treatment ever.
It is what it is!

felowe

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2003, 06:51 »
Great place to work. Wonderful weather. Good relations between management and union. Good people all around.

BuffyTheNukeSlayer

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2003, 11:51 »
Good place to work.  Nice environment.  Biggest Problem:  THE SECOND MOST EXPENSIVE PLACE TO LIVE IN CALIFORNIA :o

What you make you will need for the rent or hotel - Think of it as a working vacation.  Studio Apt = 750 to 900 per month, Hotel = 60+ per night.  Since the area is a resort/retirement community and median house range is $700,000 - You get the idea.  Plus don't expect to stay more than 3 to 4 weeks.  That's all I got to say about that :-/

jrc0429

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2003, 08:55 »
This is my third rodeo (house) and this is THE Cadillac Ranch.

Pet_Cow

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2003, 03:37 »
Good place to work.  Nice environment.  Biggest Problem:  THE SECOND MOST EXPENSIVE PLACE TO LIVE IN CALIFORNIA :o

What you make you will need for the rent or hotel - Think of it as a working vacation.  Studio Apt = 750 to 900 per month, Hotel = 60+ per night.  Since the area is a resort/retirement community and median house range is $700,000 - You get the idea.  Plus don't expect to stay more than 3 to 4 weeks.  That's all I got to say about that :-/

You mean not everyone just gets a sleeping bag and lives on the beach?  (Name that tech.- Or is this one too easy?)

Marlene_Souligny

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2003, 07:24 »
Diablo Canyon is my favorite plant in the country to work.  Unfortunately, I've had some long term assignments that have kept me away for the last couple of outages.  At Diablo you are hired by the utility and not through a contract company.  Thus, avoiding co-employment problems and getting better treatment and pay.  You are eligible to join the IBEW union when you are hired.  I, actually filed a grievance while I was there,(which I later won) and still get invited back every outage.  This is unheard of at other sites!  I really miss all of the house techs.  They make you feel welcome and treat you as if you're one of them.  Very professional supervisors that are always very helpful and keep an open door policy.  Hopefully, some day I'll be able to go back for an outage.

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
Re: Diablo Canyon
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2003, 07:35 »
Outage extended by 5 days so far, lots of interesting stuff going on, I would love to hear more details.  Anyone no why containment was evacuated more than once?  

Diablo6293

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2003, 06:21 »
Containment was evacuated due to Containment not ventilated like normally done to reduce possible spread of contamination. Workers cleaning areas on the 91' were using GOSH and Simple Green. One guy was very sensitized to those chemicals from previous exposures at other plants but decided to use them anyway. He complained of dizziness and nausea. Other workers followed suit. Containment evacuated to figure out the cause. ???

classickid

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2003, 01:26 »
;DThis morning at 11:15 Diablo Canyon Experiences and hefty little 6.5 Earthquake.  :o Since all the power is off in this nice little community I was wondering how is the Plant Status.  Of course, the media will not tell us the truth :-X they are even lying about which fault it was on.  We all know that the San Semian Fault is the one and the same Hosgri Fault.  I think it funny that they are trying to say that the upper half of the fault is called one name and the bottom half which amazing starts at the plant is called another.  Well being the fault is not to far from the front door of the plant I am sure you guys over there really felt it.  

I hope you are all okay  ???and no major damage has occured.  At least if someone in there has power to a computer please let your fellow Nukers know you're okay and the plant will be open for another outage or maybe a decommissioning. ;D

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2003, 03:02 »

I hope you are all okay  ???and no major damage has occured.  At least if someone in there has power to a computer please let your fellow Nukers know you're okay and the plant will be open for another outage or maybe a decommissioning. ;D

For the record, use some discretion when replying. There was a minor tremor near the AL/GA/TN state lines about 4:00 AM in the spring. A buddy called in to a talkradio station, and gave his name, and that he was the "Licensed operations instructor for emergency response" at SQN. He wanted to reassure the listeners that the tremor was well below design basis for continued operations.
When he got to work an hour or so later, there was a PER sheet (TVA corrective action program, same as CR some other utilities) on his desk for him to fill out. The plant management considered his call an unauthorized press release. :o
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2004, 09:47 »
QUESTION :  Anyone know Diablo's policy about motorhomes on the access road?  (I know they let me bring my pickup/camper combo, but made me drop my trailer at Fat Cat's, so...)

I'm thinking about buying a 20' motorhome, but don't want to have to hitch-hike from the checkpoint every day.

Thanks!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2004, 08:40 »
20ft?!  What, you gonna sleep with your feet hanging
out the back window? ;D

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2004, 10:34 »
20ft?!  What, you gonna sleep with your feet hanging
out the back window? ;D

Yeah, probably!  ...but Diablo'll be warm enough to do that and YOU will still be chipping out from this freezing rain crap! :D

(Actually, I did a 20' motorhome for a couple of years and it's the PERFECT size for one rent-a-tech on these new short outage parties they are throwing.)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2004, 05:32 »
I've never been to the Canyon, but based on personnel presently at BFN, I have only three words:

WHAT ABOUT BOB??!!!   
He's here, and we want him there.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2004, 09:35 by Roll Tide »
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2004, 05:36 »
Unca Buffalo--- They used to let you park the motorhome on site and stay.  Now they no longer do it.  You can get a space at the end of the access road, and then either drive in or hitch a ride with someone.
It is what it is!

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2004, 10:10 »
I can't see why they wouldn't let you park in the upper lot, it is outside the primary vehicle barrier system.  I will check with them though and find out.  How about buying a moped, and riding that up the hill.  Sounds like fun to me!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2004, 11:51 »
Unca Buffalo--- They used to let you park the motorhome on site and stay.  Now they no longer do it.  You can get a space at the end of the access road, and then either drive in or hitch a ride with someone.

I don't need to stay every day...that's the nice thing about a 20-footer...you don't mind driving it back & forth to the campground each day.  I was 18 mpg in my last motorhome...Dolphin on a Toyota chassis.

Thanks for the info and good Karma onya! :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2004, 11:54 »
I can't see why they wouldn't let you park in the upper lot, it is outside the primary vehicle barrier system.  I will check with them though and find out.  How about buying a moped, and riding that up the hill.  Sounds like fun to me!

Actually, a moped (or Vespa Scooter?) sounds like a GREAT idea!  I'll check into that. :)

Thanks!  Karma onya!

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:44 »
Short Duration Stays, where money isn't a problem:

The Cliffs at Shell Beach (Hotel).  You can't beat the Cliffs, excellent food, great view, good bar, and better happy hour (with free food).

The Oxford Suites is also good, as every nites stay comes with a ticket for free breakfast (a real buffet not one of those stupid continental things), and two tickets for free drinks at the bar.  Not as nice as the cliff's, but more reasonable.

F. McKlintocks is a great steakhouse with a fun attitude, but bring your appetite and your wallet, cause your going to need it.

A.J. Spurs is similar to the above, for those who seek variety in there steak intake.

Watch out for sharks when swimming in the ocean!

IBENNUKED

« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2004, 03:59 »
Love the area, the plant is good... long walk from lot 1 though.

Nuetrino

« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2004, 04:54 »
I will have 2 rooms for rent for the upcoming Diablo Outages.  It is a brand new fully furnished, 3/2 house with a washer/dryer, full kitchen, living room and private porch for each room.  It is in a quiet neighborhood in Arroyo Grande, off street parking, just 15 minutes from the Diablo Gate, 1 mile from the ocean, and convienient (1-3 miles) to stores and restaurants.  I work in operations and will be on an outage schedule too. Linens, dishes, towels, utensiles etc provided.  Bedroom wall are insulated and doors are solid (quiet) and lockable.

Master Bedroom: King size bed, private bathroom, private porch $225/wk, $250/couple.

Guest Bedroom: Queen size bed, rear porch, shared bathroom, $200/wk, $225/couple.

Will be available 3/15 (if needed sooner, make inquiry)

Contact WJML@PGE.com

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:44 »
FINALLY! This is the best Lodging post I have seen.

This is the kind of place I would want to stay for the Outage, but the kind of information usually available only on message boards when you get to the site for training. I will include Diablo Canyon on my future wish lists for outages.
+Karma to you. 8)

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Apr 05, 2004, 05:50 »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is 1R12 / DCPP?
It sounds like a good post, but I will move it to the most relevant location (Talk About:???? most likely).
THANKS. 8)

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2004, 10:00 »
Looks like NASCAR translated. Other than location, it's a good post.

terance of baywood

« Reply #26 on: Apr 06, 2004, 06:36 »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is 1R12 / DCPP?
It sounds like a good post, but I will move it to the most relevant location (Talk About:???? most likely).
THANKS. 8)
1R12, unit 1  refueling #12/ DCPP, Diablo Canyon Power Plant.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2004, 08:26 »

Whoops, my bad.  Shouldn't try to think on the 2nd Owl watch.  We'll get it moved to the correct thread.  Thanks Terance.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2004, 07:15 »

Oh Toto, we're home now!
(Thanks for your patience!)

duke99301

« Reply #29 on: Apr 07, 2004, 04:13 »
I worked there in 94 it was a great place to be at.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Diablo Canyon
« Reply #30 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:01 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information please post it here.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Apr 09, 2004, 08:20 »
Jocko's in Nipomo...THE steakhouse!

terance of baywood

« Reply #32 on: Apr 11, 2004, 05:30 »
How about Blue sky cafe, Blue, in SLO and Sweetsprings saloon in The Valley Of The Bears.
Barbara's/ Mr. Rick's, Avila Beach. Enjoy!

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
« Reply #33 on: Apr 12, 2004, 03:27 »
How about F. McKlintocks (best steaks on earth, and watch out for the waiter pooring water on your head), or Happy hour at the Cliff's!

IPREGEN

« Reply #34 on: Apr 20, 2004, 07:01 »
Harry's in Pismo.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #35 on: Apr 24, 2004, 04:35 »
Does In 'n' Out Burger count?

Candyce

« Reply #36 on: Aug 16, 2004, 02:55 »
Hello-
We have lodging available at Blacklake Golf Resort in Nipomo, located approximately 20 miles south of Diablo Canyon/Avila Beach area.

We have a group of about 30 privately owned, fully equipped and furnished vacation rental condos and houses at Blacklake.  Beautiful and quiet area; available for nightly (three night minimum), weekly or monthly rental.  Discounted daily rates for golf at Blacklake and Avila Beach Golf Resorts, monthly golf rates also available.

For info, please contact Candyce at 805-343-1895.

http://www.vrbo.com/vrbo/16988.htm
http://community.webshots.com/user/candycereed
http://www.a1vacations.com/blacklake/0/

Thanks -
Candyce
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 09:43 by Candyce »

fhp

Diablo Canyon 1983-1985
« Reply #37 on: Sep 04, 2004, 01:14 »
I'm looking for anyone that worked there during these years.

mushroom

Re: Diablo Canyon 1983-1985
« Reply #38 on: Nov 09, 2004, 02:33 »
Diablo
Yep, I was there.  Part of the infamous night shift perge just prior to startup.
Mushroom

Offline hdpaul1

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
in-house planner payscale at diablo canyon
« Reply #39 on: Oct 17, 2006, 03:50 »
Does anybody know the payscale for an in-house maintenance planner at Diablo Canyon?

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #40 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:24 »
barbara, rick, grady, ellsworth, harry's ...this is not an experience one takes lightly...it will change your life...for better or worse...it will change your life.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #41 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:21 »
Great place to work.  Unlike PVNGS, they seem to appreciate you and the work you do.

FatMalky

« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:32 »
How does one actually get into Diablo Canyon?

Where do you apply for outage work etc.?

Help would be much appreciated, thanks.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:51 »
While at work during my plant's last outage I was told that you can sit on top of the turbine building and watch whales swim by.  Man if I could afford to live there, I would apply for the NLO ops positions that they have open.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:37 »
I was there for big blue's last staffing. '91 I think
During training, which was held in the evening for the upcoming night shifters, the instructor called a break because the whales were visible out the training building window. We weren't due one, he just thought we should take that opportunity to contemplate our place in the world.
Definately the finest place I ever went.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:09 »

..."before 1973 the sierra club had been in favor of nuclear power...the sierra club was one ot the main reasons the diablo canyon facility was built. after 1973  the united states did not need additional plants, and the sierra club and the environmental movement supported only solar and wind power. the fact is that from 1973 to the present day the united states has had no need for new power."   nuclear power and the spread of nuclear weapons, leventhal, p 226

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2007, 06:59 »
Does anyone have any information on where to stay when at Diablo?
Heading there in April, wondering about rates near the plant.

Thanks.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:43 »

...wondering about rates near the plant.

Second highest in the country last I heard...

We paid $2300 for an okay two-bedroom condo last time I was there.  (...2003?  ...2004?)

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2007, 11:01 »
Batman,
Check out the Rose Garden Inn in S L O.  They had great weekly rates when I was there ('97) and the place was clean.  It was a lot better than it looked from the outside.

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2007, 01:20 »
Batman,
The Rose Garden Inn in Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande is cheaper than SLO.  If you are looking to motel it, there are several with kitchenettes in Pismo Beach, and most give outage rates.  If you want a furnished condo, check out Coastal Vacation Rentals, http://www.coastalvacationrentals.net/rentals/index.php, they have a lot of furnished condos.
Looking at anywhere from 1400 a month and up for a one bedroom, most have washer/dryers and you have to pay a cleaning fee and security deposit.
They all charge a room tax unless staying over 30 days.

If it is your first time there, check with other techs when you get to training.  Usually, there is someone looking to share a condo.
Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions, I am going there this outage.
It is what it is!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #50 on: Feb 08, 2007, 06:37 »
I appreciate the information guys.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #51 on: Feb 08, 2007, 10:36 »
I stand corrected.  I actually stayed at the Rose Garden Inn in Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande.  Sorry, it's been a while.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #52 on: Feb 08, 2007, 12:06 »
I did a little checking around, looks like the hotels start around $1400/month and the rentals start at $1500 for a 1 bedroom and go up from there.  Good thing the per diem is federal rate!
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2007, 04:10 »
WOW!  It's went up.  I paid $600 a month for a hotel when I was there.  Good luck.

Fermione

« Reply #54 on: Apr 05, 2007, 09:07 »
Any hints on places to stay for long term say > 1 year.  Entertaining the idea of heading out there.
Thanks for the help,
Fermi

Evilpixie

« Reply #55 on: Apr 06, 2007, 06:08 »
I would come out and get a hotel for a week or so and look around... some apartments come up that aren't routinely listed... and aren't apartment buildings. 

Things to keep in mind:
We get lots of tourists in the summer.  Avila and Pismo get overrun with them.  Tourists are fine, it's just the extra traffic that gets generated; makes it hard to just get around.

In June it will be easier to find a place to stay in SLO, the college students are leaving.  You could find a really nice apartment within walking distance of downtown, which is the arrangement I recommend.  SLO is a really nice town with alot to do. 

Arroyo Grande and Grover Beach are also good places to stay, cheaper than SLO.  You can get way cheaper in Santa Maria, Atascadero and Paso Robles but you're trading commute time for lower rent. 

What sort of things do you like to do?  When would you be coming out? 

Fermione

« Reply #56 on: Apr 09, 2007, 10:41 »
Hi Pixie,
I love to fish and do anything out of doors.  Mid june is the potential start date. Big decisions coming up.  Thank you for the information.
Fermione

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #57 on: Apr 10, 2007, 11:12 »
One more bit of info please.  I know this sounds a bit dumb but...If one were to map quest Diablo Canyon, what address would one use?
I know how to get to San Luis O. but am unsure of how to get to the plant.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #58 on: Apr 10, 2007, 12:38 »
One more bit of info please.  I know this sounds a bit dumb but...If one were to map quest Diablo Canyon, what address would one use?
I know how to get to San Luis O. but am unsure of how to get to the plant.

If you google map it, look for Avila Beach, then follow Avila Beach Dr. As you approach Port St. Luis, you'll see a road that runs up the coast and appears to end at nothing. That's the plant access road - one of the prettiest drives you'll ever take!
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

Evilpixie

« Reply #59 on: Apr 10, 2007, 12:55 »
Hey Fermione,
  Is that ocean fishing?  Or really any fishing?  My boss has a ginormous boat and loves to fish... you two should go out sometime.  I also heard that Lopez Lake is a good place for trout.  

Hi Batman,
  to google Diablo, try googling Avila Beach or Diablo Canyon California and zoom in.  To get there, from the 101, take the Avila Beach exit and head west.  You'll pass Avila on your left, you'll cross a bridge and will be along the beach... start looking to the right for the main gate.  Not sure if anyone told you, but the access road is about seven miles long.  It's a pretty drive, though.  The speed limit is posted, some areas it's 40, some it's 50.  I heard they were going to be enforcing this (you get caught speeding too much, you could lose your parking pass... which means you have to get a ride from the gate :o).  You might want to give yourself some extra time the first week or so- we've got alot of extra peops coming in and they are all on days right now... coming in at the same time.... some days there are long lines at the gate.  

Hope this helps!
ePix

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #60 on: Apr 10, 2007, 01:34 »
That's the plant access road - one of the prettiest drives you'll ever take!

Esp. in a spring outage!  :)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #61 on: Apr 10, 2007, 04:26 »
Thanks for the info.  Looking forward to the outage for sure, see ya there.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #62 on: Apr 24, 2007, 10:00 »
Motel 6 at San Luis Obispo and at Pismo Beach always has rooms for about 40 a night.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2008, 05:35 by Mike McFarlin »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

LaFeet

« Reply #63 on: Apr 25, 2007, 07:11 »
Whats the normal per diem for this plant / location??

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #64 on: Apr 25, 2007, 08:26 »
156 a day
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

LaFeet

« Reply #65 on: Apr 25, 2007, 10:37 »
I could get by on that...  Camp Pendleton is right there aint it

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #66 on: Apr 25, 2007, 11:11 »
I could get by on that...  Camp Pendleton is right there aint it

That'd be SONGS by Pendleton.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

LaFeet

« Reply #67 on: Apr 26, 2007, 06:20 »
That'd be SONGS by Pendleton.

Thanks.... I have not been out that way yet.... and realy have not researched it
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2007, 06:21 by LaFeet »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #68 on: Apr 26, 2007, 06:39 »
There are some good outages over the next few years at SONGS and Diablo.  Now would be the time to look into it.  S/G replacements at both plants.  SONGS would be a 5 - 6 month deal I would be willing to bet, not as much $$ but if you do the travel trailor thing it would still be a money maker when compared to 5 weeks here and 5 weeks there.  Not a bad area to spend time either. 
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

LaFeet

« Reply #69 on: Apr 26, 2007, 06:45 »
Thanks Bat MAn  I will look into it

BTW  Great likeness in black and white

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #70 on: Apr 26, 2007, 08:28 »
Great money for the techs at Diablo, cause its union.

LaFeet

« Reply #71 on: Apr 27, 2007, 03:04 »
  You going.. I could use a duty driver out there

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #72 on: Apr 27, 2007, 08:00 »
About 7 miles of winding 2 lane road, but oh so beautiful.

LaFeet

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2007, 10:31 »
About 7 miles of winding 2 lane road, but oh so beautiful.

Is that wiith or wothot the tequila??

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2007, 02:15 »
Thanks Bat MAn  I will look into it

BTW  Great likeness in black and white

I have always considered myself a handsome rascal!!!
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2007, 09:41 »
Is that wiith or wothot the tequila??
Without today, with tomorrow.......
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 06:41 by Mike McFarlin »

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2007, 09:42 »
  You going.. I could use a duty driver out there
I'm still there.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2007, 06:21 »

Also, there is no overhead and profit margin for a contract company.  $35 - $40 plus perdiem is a fantastic deal for us carnies, my house payment is in Michigan, $42 - $45 for our house tech brothers and sisters does nothing to buy a $800K house in Shell Beach.  Doesn't seem like such a great deal for them.  Great plant however, very capable group of people both house and contract.  A pleasure to work here for sure.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Evilpixie

« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2007, 10:13 »
$42 - $45 for our house tech brothers and sisters does nothing to buy a $800K house in Shell Beach.  Doesn't seem like such a great deal for them. 

Hey Bat Man!  I couldn't agree more!  We should get more money (wink wink, nod nod!)  You want to tell this to my boss?  It's 'bout time for me to get a raise! 

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2007, 05:38 »
Hey Bat Man!  I couldn't agree more!  We should get more money (wink wink, nod nod!)  You want to tell this to my boss?  It's 'bout time for me to get a raise! 

I would be glad to have a talk with the boss, come see me in the containment breakroom and we'll formulate a plan!!! ;D
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2007, 05:52 »
Great plant and good people make it a favorite. And the scenery is breathtaking. Can catch a whale tail every now and again from your office window.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:30 by Mike McFarlin »

Evilpixie

« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2007, 02:32 »
How does one actually get into Diablo Canyon?

Where do you apply for outage work etc.?

From the outage intranet website:

All interested external applicants may submit resumes to our external email address:
 DCPPOH@pge.com

805-545-HIRE (4473)
Callers may leave a message.

Evilpixie

« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2007, 02:40 »
Great plant and good people make it a favorite. And the scenery is breathtaking. Can catch a whale tail every now and again from your office window.

I was out on the boat sampling ocean water and had three dolphins come up five feet away from me!  I had seen them out there before, but never that close... it was such an epic experience! 

LaFeet

« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2007, 06:08 »
Thanks for the email contact EP

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #84 on: Sep 26, 2007, 10:40 »
Can anyone tell me who (PG&E, or a contract company?) staffs the medical facility...and how to go about trying to apply for an RN (or other nursing-related) position for the 2008 SGRP?  Thanks!

I know, it's late to try to line up something like that...but I just found out I am going to be working down there...and would like to find my wife a good nursing job...
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2007, 01:27 by UncaBuffalo »

Evilpixie

« Reply #85 on: Sep 27, 2007, 12:15 »
Can anyone tell me who (PG&E, or a contract company?) staffs the medical facility...and how to go about trying to apply for an RN (or other nursing-related) position for the 2007 SGRP?  Thanks!

I know, it's late to try to line up something like that...but I just found out I am going to be working down there...and would like to find my wife a good nursing job...

I don't think the medical facility brings in extra peops for the outages... but here is the head guy's number: 805-545-4441.  His name is Craig Gallagher.

I do have a friend that runs a place called Maxim Health and he has said that he can definitely find work for her.  His name is Jadd Martinez; he said to either call or send him an email:
805-937-2787

Jamartin@maxhealth.com

I thought you were working for Canberra?  Will you be here with them?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #86 on: Sep 27, 2007, 02:49 »
I don't think the medical facility brings in extra peops for the outages...

Thanks for the info, Evil!  :)

I thought you were working for Canberra? 

I have just proven (yet again) that 'permanent job' & 'UncaBuffalo' do not fit together in a sentence...so I gave myself early parole!  ;)

Should be a great reunion...I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and getting to work with you guys again!  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2007, 08:55 by UncaBuffalo »

fit4denver

« Reply #87 on: Oct 07, 2007, 03:22 »
Hey Bat Man,  who did you contact for work at Diablo Canyon? 

LaFeet

« Reply #88 on: Oct 07, 2007, 06:20 »
Congrats to all that have bveen told they made it in,  me Ima hoping still to slide in as a tech.
But I will take any position just  to try out the Diablo

ramdog_1

« Reply #89 on: Oct 07, 2007, 11:31 »
who has the craft contract  at the site?
who is doing oversite for the SGRP?

Evilpixie

« Reply #90 on: Oct 08, 2007, 11:53 »
Craft is Day-Zimmer; SGT is doing the SGRP.  Granite Construction is also doing alot of building out here, too.  I'm sorry, but I have no idea who the contact peops for each company are... 

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #91 on: Oct 08, 2007, 09:48 »
Hey Bat Man,  who did you contact for work at Diablo Canyon? 

It is a "who you know" situation. You must have a reference from a returnee and the timing just right. I tripped ass over backwards into an opportunity there with the help of a dear friend. You need to check your network and see if you have a reference that could help you.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #92 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:17 »
I'm new to nukeworker. I worked 3 outages in a row starting with the 1st U-2 outage at Diablo. Any old timers that were there? Just trying to hook up with old friends. Remember the Breakfast Club? Pat Persky almost crashed our plane on Catalina Island.

MR BIG

« Reply #93 on: Oct 10, 2007, 01:04 »
Yeah, I worked the 1st Unit 2 outage there (Mark Aller). Haven't been back there since. Should have kept going. Don't know why I stopped. Great plant! Going to this one though. Hope to see you there.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #94 on: Oct 10, 2007, 09:58 »
I haven't worked hp since 95. I'm in ops now at calvert

Evilpixie

« Reply #95 on: Oct 10, 2007, 12:31 »
Patty is still house out here. Dawson now flies commercial jets (jet blue)... Moretti still flies, though the Breakfast Club isn't really around anymore  :(

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #96 on: Oct 10, 2007, 04:55 »
is this sandy.

jess.addison

Diablo Canyon
« Reply #97 on: Oct 26, 2007, 05:41 »
Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can find out who has the contract for the Diablo outage for Decon and HP work. Please let me know
Thank you
Jess

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #98 on: Oct 26, 2007, 10:16 »
Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can find out who has the contract for the Diablo outage for Decon and HP work. Please let me know
Thank you
Jess

Diablo Canyon Hires their own HP & Decon for the outage, and they have neer 100% returnee rate.  So getting in is next to impossable.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #99 on: Oct 26, 2007, 10:17 »
Thank you
Jess

The house does the hiring for both, need to be reffered by a returnee.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

RADBASTARD

« Reply #100 on: Oct 26, 2007, 10:56 »
It was staffed months ago

Evilpixie

« Reply #101 on: Oct 29, 2007, 02:38 »
From the outage intranet website:

All interested external applicants may submit resumes to our external email address:
 DCPPOH@pge.com

805-545-HIRE (4473)
Callers may leave a message.

I'm not sure what their status is as far as staffing, you'll have to give them a call.

LaFeet

« Reply #102 on: Oct 31, 2007, 05:33 »
Apparently the HP positions have been filled and they are selecting the deconners

ageoldtech

« Reply #103 on: Nov 16, 2007, 12:31 »
You're right Lafeet, They are now selecting Decon personnel. They like to hire locals so they don't have to pay perdiem. I'm out here now and even the ALARA folks had to have References.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #104 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:35 »
Diablo Canyon asked me to post a link to their in-procession help page.  If you are going out there for the outage, please visit this page, and follow the instructions:

http://www.pge.com/microsite/diablo/
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007, 12:41 by Rennhack »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #105 on: Dec 06, 2007, 12:02 »
Diablo Canyon asked me to post a link to their in-procession help page.  If you are going out there for the o-utage, please visit this page, and follow the instructions:

http://www.pge.com/microsite/diablo/

Interesting that they view you as an effective way to provide information to their incoming workers....NUKEWORKER ROCKS!! :D
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

nogle

Diablo canyon
« Reply #106 on: Nov 04, 2008, 05:30 »
Does anyone happen to know who has the contract for the sgr at diablo

RD

newbie having hard time
« Reply #107 on: Nov 05, 2008, 12:33 »
hi im new to nuke world. i was told to come to this website to apply for diablo canyon outage for jan 09. i did my resume but i have no idea where it is and if it even got to the diablo personal. when i was in point beach the others went on to this website and suposidly got in. how do i get in for this outage for 09?

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #108 on: Nov 05, 2008, 08:46 »
SGT, and some Suntech have the contracts for most crafts.

If you are an electrician, mech maint or rad protection, it is the utility itself.  I know rad protection is already staffed, probably the other utility based hires are also.  Lots of returnees from last and previous outages.
It is what it is!

gaetano01

« Reply #109 on: Dec 19, 2008, 06:24 »
Hi all -- Does anybody have an email address or phone number to a nuke recruiter or ops manager type at Diablo Canyon they'd be willing to share?  I'm transitioning out of the Navy and am interested in applying to this plant, but it sounds like it's all about contacting the right person ...  Thanks in advance!

nicad

« Reply #110 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:55 »
Anyone have insight on upcoming plans for hiring operators?  Spent some time in the canoe club as an ELT, and currently work at a gas fired utility plant at a domestic beer brewery (couldn't turn down the free beer)

Looking for something more challenging to be honest. Have my goals set on a license one day.

thanks!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #111 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:53 »
How goes the SGRP?  We want stories!  ...and pictures!  ;)

I've been kicking myself every day for not being there...  :(

RADBASTARD

« Reply #112 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:56 »
UNCABUFFALO I forgot you took that house job,I thought you were at diablo again.
Sounds like a real money maker again.
How much longer is the outage?
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009, 08:58 by RadBastard »

work thru lunch

« Reply #113 on: Feb 12, 2009, 12:46 »
I wish I was there to make some  real money with you guys.

Evilpixie

« Reply #114 on: Feb 12, 2009, 01:16 »
The schedule has us being parallel to grid going to 100% the week of March 30th. 

Oh, in answer to an earlier post, most of the crafts out here are Day-Zimmerman.

I'll ask around to find out about who to talk to about hiring operators.

Other than that... how's the new house job Unca?

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #115 on: Feb 13, 2009, 10:54 »
How goes the SGRP?  We want stories!  ...and pictures!  ;)

I've been kicking myself every day for not being there...  :(

We miss you. And I am sure that the refuel floor miss's you even more. All is well and we are having a good time. It has been raining a lot more than last outage but every other Friday we all get a 5 digit ray of light that makes it all better!!! ;D

The pre-outage party was a blow out like I have not seen since highschool, but I think "beer-run" has been retired.

The outage is going pretty well, dose on track for the most part and nobody has been hurt. That is the real measure of success. You are mentioned often. Take care.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

underpar3535

« Reply #116 on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:57 »
Looking at the Pacific Gas and Electric Site. Does anyone know if Diablo Canyon is starting any Nuclear Learner Operators Classes

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #117 on: Feb 15, 2009, 11:03 »
UNCABUFFALO I forgot you took that house job,I thought you were at diablo again.
Other than that... how's the new house job Unca?
We miss you. And I am sure that the refuel floor miss's you even more.

Yeah...house jobs...gotta love them, right?  :(  Always takes a bit to get into the pace of non-outage work...I've been on this new gig since Labor Day - just got my first qualification Friday...  :/  So now I can start seeing how I do like the job! 

I'd definitely rather be on the refuel floor (or in the cavity!) with you guys!  :)

All is well and we are having a good time. It has been raining a lot more than last outage but every other Friday we all get a 5 digit ray of light that makes it all better!!! ;D

The pre-outage party was a blow out like I have not seen since highschool, but I think "beer-run" has been retired.

The outage is going pretty well, dose on track for the most part and nobody has been hurt. That is the real measure of success.  Take care.

Glad to hear you are getting some sun & entertainment.  Ham said the pre-outage party was most memorable!  Are you guys continuing any of the other traditions...paintball...voll eyball...poker tourneys...sunrise karaoke...?  Someone has to be taking some pix, right? 

Glad everyone is staying safe!  You guys take care, too!  :) 

If you guys get tired of that coast (not likely, I know) come see us poor displaced-Diablo-types!  ;)

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2009, 06:49 by UncaBuffalo »

ageoldtech

« Reply #118 on: Feb 15, 2009, 06:40 »
Diablo update: If we follow the current schedule we could come in at 53 days. The best was Comanche Peak at 55 Days 13 hours.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #119 on: Feb 15, 2009, 10:35 »
Diablo update: If we follow the current schedule we could come in at 53 days. The best was Comanche Peak at 55 Days 13 hours.

I wonder if this record pace takes into consideration all of the hours of labor that was spent while we were still making neutrons?
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2009, 07:06 »

So...what was the final score?

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2009, 11:11 »
I believe it came in around 58 days.  Another world record on PCEs and maybe dose too.  64 PCEs I think and made the dose goal by less than 100 mrem.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2009, 08:16 »
I believe it came in around 58 days.  Another world record on PCEs and maybe dose too.  64 PCEs I think and made the dose goal by less than 100 mrem.

That's cool...I was thinking they would have problems meeting the PCE goal in Unit 1.  Glad I was wrong!  :)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #123 on: Jun 15, 2009, 09:28 »
I'm in San Luis Obispo County, and I was wondering of Diablo has a visitors center?  I googled it, and it doesn't look like it does.  But I'm this close, I thought I would ask.

Anyone in the area want to get together? I'm in Morrow Bay for the night.

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #124 on: Jun 16, 2009, 12:22 »
They have a center right off the highway (101) near the San Luis Bay Dr exit.  They used to have one on site but that closed before I ever came here.  I'm in the area but it's already pretty late for a work night. If you're here tomorrow, pm me. I get out at 4:30.

Jonathan

Evilpixie

« Reply #125 on: Jun 17, 2009, 12:11 »
From Morro Bay:
Take Hiway 1 south until it dumps you into SLO- just stay on it until you get to the fourth intersection after you get into town- There's a taco bell and a burger king on the righthand corners... I want to say it is Olive, but I'm not certain.  Take a right there and follow it to get on the 101 freeway south.  Take San Luis Bay Drive exit, make a right, then a very immediate left onto Ontario road (not sure if there is signage saying that or not?).  Ontario is the frontage road next to the freeway.  The PG&E community center is on the right.  I believe there is signage for that?

Diablo used to have a visitor's center onsite along with a bio-lab and aquarium set up... but that all went away with the terrorist concerns.  Which is too bad, it was actually pretty cool!

I'm actually in a class tonight... and I didn't get this last night- Sorry!  I hope your visit here is nice and you like SLO and Morro Bay! 

Sande

Offline firersq692

• Lurker
« Reply #126 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:54 »
Seems like no one leaves Diablo Canyon, any suggestions on how to get into the fire protection department there. I have never seen a posting on their corporate employment web page... thanks for the help! :D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Diablo
« Reply #127 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:17 »
Any one have info about Diablo. Just general is OK.

Anything in particular you want to know?

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #128 on: Jul 30, 2010, 03:53 »
 :(
Much sadness, just found out today that this fall outage is the last one that the utility will staff.  Starting next spring they have a contract with Bartlett to staff outages once again.
The good money making days are behind us, it couldn't last forever. :'(
It is what it is!

LaFeet

« Reply #129 on: Aug 03, 2010, 12:09 »
Is that because Johnny C left???

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #130 on: Aug 03, 2010, 08:50 »
looks like it got too expensive to administer.....

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #131 on: Aug 04, 2010, 12:17 »
Did anybody REALLY think $35/167 would last in this market?

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #132 on: Aug 04, 2010, 08:31 »
Sorry Sun Dog, but that will be a reduction in pay.  It is now $41/hr and $172/day, plus no travel caps.  And union dues where generally only about $100 for the entire outage, which got you about $3500 in perks on a standard outage ( I figured it out).
   Can see the hourly going down (don't know about $35/ hr, seems high for a contract job), but you do need the diem rate and no travel cap.  Area expenses keeps going up.  Rental rates went up 12% in a year.

The administrators of the program said that it cost about the same, just that the techs got more money.  Think the union didn't want to deal with it anymore.

I know things change, just sad to see it happen.
It is what it is!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #133 on: Aug 04, 2010, 02:03 »
I don't believe that this has anything to do with affordability and everything to do with the champion of this program moving on from Diablo Canyon. Seems a shame, time will tell if it was all worth it.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #134 on: Aug 04, 2010, 10:38 »

But, it does not snow (at least along the central coast) and there are fewer illegal aliens and gang bangers (along with the associated crime) than that plant to the south.

Gang bangers and aliens in San Clemente?  Unless they are young, blonde, tan, and driving Range Rovers they must have all moved on.....

Offline wokrdan

• Very Lite User
Ops jobs
« Reply #135 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:14 »
A few questions. I have been researching for a few months now for Diablo Canyon, but have not come across a single opening for an ops job at this plant. Nothing on the PGE website. Can anyone tell me where to find these? Also, I've noticed the cost of living in and around SLO is ridiculous. Trying to find out roughly what NLO's/AO's make hourly to compensate for this, and are the ops jobs part of a union?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #136 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:22 »
I doubt it, other than emphasis on turbine building and auxiliary systems having seismic ratings reviewed.

nukegirl_07

« Reply #137 on: Apr 21, 2011, 06:48 »
Spring outage 2011 - not using Bartlett or anyone else.
No plans to in the future, pure business decision, not because of a sinlge individual.

Hiring ops like crazy - place is crawling with operators. Still light in the HP area. Damn chem AND rp
requirement.

However,

State of CA  and the lovely grandmothers for peace are trying to shut down the plant due to fear of a tidalwave washing it into the ocean or a fault off shore shaking it into the ocean.

RPM is leaving two days before outage starts...wonder if this is signs of things to come.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #138 on: Apr 21, 2011, 08:56 »
Spring outage 2011 - not using Bartlett or anyone else.
No plans to in the future, pure business decision, not because of a sinlge individual.

Hiring ops like crazy - place is crawling with operators. Still light in the HP area. Damn chem AND rp
requirement.

However,

State of CA  and the lovely grandmothers for peace are trying to shut down the plant due to fear of a tidalwave washing it into the ocean or a fault off shore shaking it into the ocean.

Interesting.  Not using Bartlett or anyone else?  What does that mean...curious.  Are they still doing that thing where they hire outage RPs as utility temps?    thanks

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #139 on: Apr 21, 2011, 09:45 »
MFP would be elated if DCPP (and several hundred well paying jobs) vanished.
Where did you hear that the state of Kalifornia has the same agenda?

The "state of Kalifornia" & MFP were successful before!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #140 on: Apr 21, 2011, 10:46 »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #141 on: Apr 21, 2011, 11:01 »
Please explain.

Google 'Rancho Seco'.
Ok, then just click this ----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_Seco_Nuclear_Generating_Station

Thanks RDT you got back before I did!  +K

Also look up Bodega Bay NPP.  They got that one before it ever got off the ground.
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: Apr 21, 2011, 11:51 »
Telling me or anyone else to google Rancho Seco does not help to explain how Kalifornia or the MFP negatively impacted Diablo as implied.  The disinformation campaign launched by the Sacramento Bee (and promulgated by local academia) that effectively duped the voters into opting to prematurely close the Ranch is not the same threat that DCPP faces.  There is a big difference in the approach foes take to impact a power plant owned and operated by a private company and one managed by a municipal utility district.

I am still interested in learning about the claimed state agenda to eliminate DCPP...

and the implied victories by the MFP and Kalifornia to negatively impact or close Diablo...

The "state of Kalifornia" & MFP were successful before!

Please explain.

I responded to that post. It explains it. The voters (i.e. California) succeeded in shutting down a viable, operating Nuclear Plant. If you wanted more you should have been smart enough to ask for it the first time. A terse 'Please Explain' without details gets exactly what you asked for -- an explanation of the quote you used. If you are to stupid or too lazy to get your information with that start, then never mind... you are not worth the spoon it would take to feed you.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #143 on: Apr 21, 2011, 11:53 »
Telling me or anyone else to google Rancho Seco does not help to explain how Kalifornia or the MFP negatively impacted Diablo as implied.  The disinformation campaign launched by the Sacramento Bee (and promulgated by local academia) that effectively duped the voters into opting to prematurely close the Ranch is not the same threat that DCPP faces.  There is a big difference in the approach foes take to impact a power plant owned and operated by a private company and one managed by a municipal utility district.

I am still interested in learning about the claimed state agenda to eliminate DCPP...

and the implied victories by the MFP and Kalifornia to negatively impact or close Diablo...

SD: you don't need to yell!

They use many different methods.  What RDT was pointing out was that they used a particular method with the ranch.  They used a different method to stop the continued licensing effort on Bodega Bay.  And they continue every day with their efforts on SONGG.

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #144 on: Apr 22, 2011, 08:49 »
I don't know if it's true or not, but a former house tech at Humbolt Bay said that PG&E made a deal with the state to close Humbolt in order for the "politics" of Diablo to be easier for permits and the like. Like I said..I don't know if it's true, but it is plausible.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #145 on: Apr 22, 2011, 07:49 »
I don't know if it's true or not, but a former house tech at Humbolt Bay said that PG&E made a deal with the state to close Humbolt in order for the "politics" of Diablo to be easier for permits and the like. Like I said..I don't know if it's true, but it is plausible.

It may have played into it but I believe the primary reason Humboldt shut down was due to the cost of upgrades. Humboldt was only a 65 MegaWatt plant built right on the bay with the vessel sitting -66' below sea level. It just wasn't worth spending the money on. The plant was more of an experiment than anything, I think we had the #2 license.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: Apr 23, 2011, 06:26 »
It would have been much simpler, and accurate, if you would have admitted that you do not know the answers.

Actually it was much simpler to tell you to do some of your own work. I don't spoon feed people that have shown no desire to do things for themselves.  If thinking I don't know blows your skirt up, be my guest.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #147 on: Jan 10, 2012, 01:06 »
Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation Event Number: 47580
Rep Org: DIABLO CANYON
Licensee: PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC CO.
Region: 4
City: AVILA BEACH State: CA
County: SAN LUIS OBISPO
License #: SNM-2511
Agreement: Y
Docket: 72-26
NRC Notified By: MICHAEL QUITTER
HQ OPS Officer: BILL HUFFMAN  Notification Date: 01/09/2012
Notification Time: 23:44 [ET]
Event Date: 01/09/2012
Event Time: 14:05 [PST]
Last Update Date: 01/09/2012  
Emergency Class: NON EMERGENCY
10 CFR Section:
72.75(d)(1) - SFTY EQUIP. DISABLED OR FAILS TO FUNCTION
 Person (Organization):
RYAN LANTZ (R4DO)
WILLIAM RULAND (NRR)
CHRISTEPHER MCKENNEY (FSME)

Event Text

NUT ON HOLD-DOWN STUD WAS FOUND LOOSE

"On January 9, 2012, at 1405 [PST], plant personnel notified the Diablo Canyon shift manager that a nut on a hold-down stud on an Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation(ISFSI) HISTORM spent fuel storage cask was loose to the touch. Plant personnel hand tightened the nut and verified that none of the other 16 casks in the facility had nuts that were loose to the touch.

"The Diablo Canyon ISFSI design requires that each spent fuel storage cask be installed with the cask compressed against the embedment plate using 16, two-inch diameter, anchor studs. Each stud is pre-loaded to approximately 157,000 lbf. This design ensures the cask will remain stable during a seismic event. A manufacturer's analysis of the stability of the cask with all of the 16 hold down stud nuts installed with no pre-load concluded that the cask would maintain its stability during a seismic event.

"PG&E has contracted the vendor to re-tension the stud and expects completion by 1/13/2012. PG&E will assess the need to verify tension of the remaining studs based on the extent of condition evaluation.

"Cause of the loose nut has not yet been determined.

"The NRC Senior Resident Inspector has been informed."
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2012, 01:07 by HydroDave63 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #148 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:03 »

Offline jamcad

• Very Lite User
« Reply #149 on: Apr 18, 2012, 09:25 »
What contractor handles the trades portion of the outage at DC?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #150 on: Apr 28, 2012, 04:45 »
Speaking of a "SALP 1" rating....  ;)

"Diablo Canyon nuclear plant in California knocked offline by jellyfish-like creatures called salp

This photo provided by the Diablo Canyon Power Plant on Friday shows salp, a gelatinous sea creature, at a nuclear reactor intake structure.
By James Eng, msnbc.com

In Japan, it was a monstrous earthquake and tsunami that brought down the Fukushima nuclear plant. In California, it’s a tiny, jellyfish-like sea creature called salp that’s causing problems at the Diablo Canyon atomic plant."

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/27/11432974-diablo-canyon-nuclear-plant-in-california-knocked-offline-by-jellyfish-like-creatures-called-salp?lite

Offline IonEyes

• Very Lite User
  • Time is an illusion; Lunchtime doubly so.
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2012, 08:14 »
What contractor handles the trades portion of the outage at DC?

Fluor mostly.
"Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter."   -- Ayn Rand

Offline justme

• Moderate User
Diablo Canyon Spring 2013 outage
« Reply #152 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:47 »
Am looking for a roommate for upcoming outage.  Work in RP.  Have a 2 bedroom apt from mid Jan till end of Feb-1st week in Mar.  Looking for quiet non smoker, maybe couple.
Condo is in Pismo Beach, near downtown. Send me a message if interested.

TY
It is what it is!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #153 on: Jul 11, 2013, 08:07 »
Sometime those Super Soakers can get a lot of mist going...

Power Reactor    Event Number: 49184
Facility: DIABLO CANYON
Region: 4 State: CA
Unit: [ ] [2] [ ]
RX Type: [1] W-4-LP,[2] W-4-LP
NRC Notified By: MICHAEL QUITTER
HQ OPS Officer: DANIEL MILLS    Notification Date: 07/10/2013
Notification Time: 16:13 [ET]
Event Date: 07/10/2013
Event Time: 09:50 [PDT]
Last Update Date: 07/10/2013
Emergency Class: NON EMERGENCY
10 CFR Section:
50.72(b)(2)(iv)(B) - RPS ACTUATION - CRITICAL
50.72(b)(2)(xi) - OFFSITE NOTIFICATION
50.72(b)(3)(iv)(A) - VALID SPECIF SYS ACTUATION
   Person (Organization):
DAVID PROULX (R4DO)

Unit    SCRAM Code    RX CRIT    Initial PWR    Initial RX Mode    Current PWR    Current RX Mode
2    A/R    Y    100    Power Operation    0    Hot Standby

Event Text
UNIT 2 AUTOMATIC REACTOR TRIP

"On July 10, 2013, at 0950 PDT, the Diablo Canyon Power Plant Unit 2 500kV line differential relay actuated. This action tripped the turbine and opened the generator output breakers to isolate the generator. With the turbine tripped and Unit 2 operating above the P-9 50% power permissive, a reactor trip was initiated from the reactor protection system.

"All plant equipment responded as designed. All three Unit 2 Auxiliary Feedwater pumps started, the Containment Fan Cooling units started and ran in slow speed, and the standby Auxiliary Saltwater train started, all as expected.

"Unit 2 is stable at normal operating temperature and pressure. All power transferred to the plant startup source without incident. Condenser vacuum was maintained.

"The preliminary cause of the differential relay actuation was a flashover of Phase A 500 kV to ground across the Phase A lightning arrestor during maintenance activities to wash the 500 kV insulators.

"NRC Resident Inspector has been informed of this event.

"A press release is planned for local media."

Decay heat is being removed by steam dumps to the condenser. No relief valves lifted during the transient. The steam generators are being supplied by the auxiliary feedwater pumps. There were no injuries to personnel. Unit 1 was not affected.

Offline charly13243

• Very Lite User
« Reply #154 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:32 »
hey all.  I have a phone screen with a senior recruiter next week for an I&C tech job at DCPP.  She said it would be twenty minutes.  Anyone been there done that and/or know what to expect from this company's screening process?

Thank you in advance.

Josh.

Offline charly13243

• Very Lite User
« Reply #155 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:28 »
Hey guys.  So the phone screen went well I guess because now I have an interview in a couple weeks at DCPP for shift control technician.  Please, can anyone shed some light on what to expect for the interview, etc.?
Thank you.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2017, 10:56 »
Anyone know how to reach the Training Manager or RP Training Coordinator here?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?