Diablo Canyon

Above Average
71 (86.6%)
Average
8 (9.8%)
Below Average
3 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Diablo Canyon  (Read 184701 times)

Evilpixie

Re: Diablo Canyon
« Reply #125 on: Jun 17, 2009, 12:11 »
From Morro Bay:
Take Hiway 1 south until it dumps you into SLO- just stay on it until you get to the fourth intersection after you get into town- There's a taco bell and a burger king on the righthand corners... I want to say it is Olive, but I'm not certain.  Take a right there and follow it to get on the 101 freeway south.  Take San Luis Bay Drive exit, make a right, then a very immediate left onto Ontario road (not sure if there is signage saying that or not?).  Ontario is the frontage road next to the freeway.  The PG&E community center is on the right.  I believe there is signage for that?

Diablo used to have a visitor's center onsite along with a bio-lab and aquarium set up... but that all went away with the terrorist concerns.  Which is too bad, it was actually pretty cool!

I'm actually in a class tonight... and I didn't get this last night- Sorry!  I hope your visit here is nice and you like SLO and Morro Bay! 

Sande

Offline firersq692

• Lurker
« Reply #126 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:54 »
Seems like no one leaves Diablo Canyon, any suggestions on how to get into the fire protection department there. I have never seen a posting on their corporate employment web page... thanks for the help! :D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Diablo
« Reply #127 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:17 »
Any one have info about Diablo. Just general is OK.

Anything in particular you want to know?

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #128 on: Jul 30, 2010, 03:53 »
 :(
Much sadness, just found out today that this fall outage is the last one that the utility will staff.  Starting next spring they have a contract with Bartlett to staff outages once again.
The good money making days are behind us, it couldn't last forever. :'(
It is what it is!

LaFeet

« Reply #129 on: Aug 03, 2010, 12:09 »
Is that because Johnny C left???

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #130 on: Aug 03, 2010, 08:50 »
looks like it got too expensive to administer.....
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #131 on: Aug 04, 2010, 12:17 »
Did anybody REALLY think $35/167 would last in this market?

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #132 on: Aug 04, 2010, 08:31 »
Sorry Sun Dog, but that will be a reduction in pay.  It is now $41/hr and $172/day, plus no travel caps.  And union dues where generally only about $100 for the entire outage, which got you about $3500 in perks on a standard outage ( I figured it out).
   Can see the hourly going down (don't know about $35/ hr, seems high for a contract job), but you do need the diem rate and no travel cap.  Area expenses keeps going up.  Rental rates went up 12% in a year.

The administrators of the program said that it cost about the same, just that the techs got more money.  Think the union didn't want to deal with it anymore.

I know things change, just sad to see it happen.
It is what it is!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #133 on: Aug 04, 2010, 02:03 »
I don't believe that this has anything to do with affordability and everything to do with the champion of this program moving on from Diablo Canyon. Seems a shame, time will tell if it was all worth it.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #134 on: Aug 04, 2010, 10:38 »

But, it does not snow (at least along the central coast) and there are fewer illegal aliens and gang bangers (along with the associated crime) than that plant to the south.

Gang bangers and aliens in San Clemente?  Unless they are young, blonde, tan, and driving Range Rovers they must have all moved on.....

Offline wokrdan

• Very Lite User
Ops jobs
« Reply #135 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:14 »
A few questions. I have been researching for a few months now for Diablo Canyon, but have not come across a single opening for an ops job at this plant. Nothing on the PGE website. Can anyone tell me where to find these? Also, I've noticed the cost of living in and around SLO is ridiculous. Trying to find out roughly what NLO's/AO's make hourly to compensate for this, and are the ops jobs part of a union?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #136 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:22 »
I doubt it, other than emphasis on turbine building and auxiliary systems having seismic ratings reviewed.

nukegirl_07

« Reply #137 on: Apr 21, 2011, 06:48 »
Spring outage 2011 - not using Bartlett or anyone else.
No plans to in the future, pure business decision, not because of a sinlge individual.

Hiring ops like crazy - place is crawling with operators. Still light in the HP area. Damn chem AND rp
requirement.

However,

State of CA  and the lovely grandmothers for peace are trying to shut down the plant due to fear of a tidalwave washing it into the ocean or a fault off shore shaking it into the ocean.

RPM is leaving two days before outage starts...wonder if this is signs of things to come.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #138 on: Apr 21, 2011, 08:56 »
Spring outage 2011 - not using Bartlett or anyone else.
No plans to in the future, pure business decision, not because of a sinlge individual.

Hiring ops like crazy - place is crawling with operators. Still light in the HP area. Damn chem AND rp
requirement.

However,

State of CA  and the lovely grandmothers for peace are trying to shut down the plant due to fear of a tidalwave washing it into the ocean or a fault off shore shaking it into the ocean.

Interesting.  Not using Bartlett or anyone else?  What does that mean...curious.  Are they still doing that thing where they hire outage RPs as utility temps?    thanks

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #139 on: Apr 21, 2011, 09:45 »
MFP would be elated if DCPP (and several hundred well paying jobs) vanished.
Where did you hear that the state of Kalifornia has the same agenda?

The "state of Kalifornia" & MFP were successful before!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #140 on: Apr 21, 2011, 10:46 »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #141 on: Apr 21, 2011, 11:01 »
Please explain.

Google 'Rancho Seco'.
Ok, then just click this ----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_Seco_Nuclear_Generating_Station

Thanks RDT you got back before I did!  +K

Also look up Bodega Bay NPP.  They got that one before it ever got off the ground.
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: Apr 21, 2011, 11:51 »
Telling me or anyone else to google Rancho Seco does not help to explain how Kalifornia or the MFP negatively impacted Diablo as implied.  The disinformation campaign launched by the Sacramento Bee (and promulgated by local academia) that effectively duped the voters into opting to prematurely close the Ranch is not the same threat that DCPP faces.  There is a big difference in the approach foes take to impact a power plant owned and operated by a private company and one managed by a municipal utility district.

I am still interested in learning about the claimed state agenda to eliminate DCPP...

and the implied victories by the MFP and Kalifornia to negatively impact or close Diablo...

The "state of Kalifornia" & MFP were successful before!

Please explain.

I responded to that post. It explains it. The voters (i.e. California) succeeded in shutting down a viable, operating Nuclear Plant. If you wanted more you should have been smart enough to ask for it the first time. A terse 'Please Explain' without details gets exactly what you asked for -- an explanation of the quote you used. If you are to stupid or too lazy to get your information with that start, then never mind... you are not worth the spoon it would take to feed you.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #143 on: Apr 21, 2011, 11:53 »
Telling me or anyone else to google Rancho Seco does not help to explain how Kalifornia or the MFP negatively impacted Diablo as implied.  The disinformation campaign launched by the Sacramento Bee (and promulgated by local academia) that effectively duped the voters into opting to prematurely close the Ranch is not the same threat that DCPP faces.  There is a big difference in the approach foes take to impact a power plant owned and operated by a private company and one managed by a municipal utility district.

I am still interested in learning about the claimed state agenda to eliminate DCPP...

and the implied victories by the MFP and Kalifornia to negatively impact or close Diablo...

SD: you don't need to yell!

They use many different methods.  What RDT was pointing out was that they used a particular method with the ranch.  They used a different method to stop the continued licensing effort on Bodega Bay.  And they continue every day with their efforts on SONGG.

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #144 on: Apr 22, 2011, 08:49 »
I don't know if it's true or not, but a former house tech at Humbolt Bay said that PG&E made a deal with the state to close Humbolt in order for the "politics" of Diablo to be easier for permits and the like. Like I said..I don't know if it's true, but it is plausible.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #145 on: Apr 22, 2011, 07:49 »
I don't know if it's true or not, but a former house tech at Humbolt Bay said that PG&E made a deal with the state to close Humbolt in order for the "politics" of Diablo to be easier for permits and the like. Like I said..I don't know if it's true, but it is plausible.

It may have played into it but I believe the primary reason Humboldt shut down was due to the cost of upgrades. Humboldt was only a 65 MegaWatt plant built right on the bay with the vessel sitting -66' below sea level. It just wasn't worth spending the money on. The plant was more of an experiment than anything, I think we had the #2 license.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: Apr 23, 2011, 06:26 »
It would have been much simpler, and accurate, if you would have admitted that you do not know the answers.

Actually it was much simpler to tell you to do some of your own work. I don't spoon feed people that have shown no desire to do things for themselves.  If thinking I don't know blows your skirt up, be my guest.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #147 on: Jan 10, 2012, 01:06 »
Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation Event Number: 47580
Rep Org: DIABLO CANYON
Licensee: PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC CO.
Region: 4
City: AVILA BEACH State: CA
County: SAN LUIS OBISPO
License #: SNM-2511
Agreement: Y
Docket: 72-26
NRC Notified By: MICHAEL QUITTER
HQ OPS Officer: BILL HUFFMAN  Notification Date: 01/09/2012
Notification Time: 23:44 [ET]
Event Date: 01/09/2012
Event Time: 14:05 [PST]
Last Update Date: 01/09/2012  
Emergency Class: NON EMERGENCY
10 CFR Section:
72.75(d)(1) - SFTY EQUIP. DISABLED OR FAILS TO FUNCTION
 Person (Organization):
RYAN LANTZ (R4DO)
WILLIAM RULAND (NRR)
CHRISTEPHER MCKENNEY (FSME)

Event Text

NUT ON HOLD-DOWN STUD WAS FOUND LOOSE

"On January 9, 2012, at 1405 [PST], plant personnel notified the Diablo Canyon shift manager that a nut on a hold-down stud on an Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation(ISFSI) HISTORM spent fuel storage cask was loose to the touch. Plant personnel hand tightened the nut and verified that none of the other 16 casks in the facility had nuts that were loose to the touch.

"The Diablo Canyon ISFSI design requires that each spent fuel storage cask be installed with the cask compressed against the embedment plate using 16, two-inch diameter, anchor studs. Each stud is pre-loaded to approximately 157,000 lbf. This design ensures the cask will remain stable during a seismic event. A manufacturer's analysis of the stability of the cask with all of the 16 hold down stud nuts installed with no pre-load concluded that the cask would maintain its stability during a seismic event.

"PG&E has contracted the vendor to re-tension the stud and expects completion by 1/13/2012. PG&E will assess the need to verify tension of the remaining studs based on the extent of condition evaluation.

"Cause of the loose nut has not yet been determined.

"The NRC Senior Resident Inspector has been informed."
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2012, 01:07 by HydroDave63 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #148 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:03 »

Offline jamcad

• Very Lite User
« Reply #149 on: Apr 18, 2012, 09:25 »
What contractor handles the trades portion of the outage at DC?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?