Diablo Canyon

Above Average
71 (86.6%)
Average
8 (9.8%)
Below Average
3 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Diablo Canyon  (Read 184711 times)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Diablo Canyon
« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2004, 10:00 »
Looks like NASCAR translated. Other than location, it's a good post.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

terance of baywood

« Reply #26 on: Apr 06, 2004, 06:36 »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is 1R12 / DCPP?
It sounds like a good post, but I will move it to the most relevant location (Talk About:???? most likely).
THANKS. 8)
1R12, unit 1  refueling #12/ DCPP, Diablo Canyon Power Plant.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2004, 08:26 »

Whoops, my bad.  Shouldn't try to think on the 2nd Owl watch.  We'll get it moved to the correct thread.  Thanks Terance.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2004, 07:15 »

Oh Toto, we're home now!
(Thanks for your patience!)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

duke99301

« Reply #29 on: Apr 07, 2004, 04:13 »
I worked there in 94 it was a great place to be at.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Diablo Canyon
« Reply #30 on: Apr 08, 2004, 05:01 »
If anyone has a favorite hang out, place to shop, or local information please post it here.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #31 on: Apr 09, 2004, 08:20 »
Jocko's in Nipomo...THE steakhouse!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

terance of baywood

« Reply #32 on: Apr 11, 2004, 05:30 »
How about Blue sky cafe, Blue, in SLO and Sweetsprings saloon in The Valley Of The Bears.
Barbara's/ Mr. Rick's, Avila Beach. Enjoy!

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
« Reply #33 on: Apr 12, 2004, 03:27 »
How about F. McKlintocks (best steaks on earth, and watch out for the waiter pooring water on your head), or Happy hour at the Cliff's!

IPREGEN

« Reply #34 on: Apr 20, 2004, 07:01 »
Harry's in Pismo.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #35 on: Apr 24, 2004, 04:35 »
Does In 'n' Out Burger count?

Candyce

« Reply #36 on: Aug 16, 2004, 02:55 »
Hello-
We have lodging available at Blacklake Golf Resort in Nipomo, located approximately 20 miles south of Diablo Canyon/Avila Beach area.

We have a group of about 30 privately owned, fully equipped and furnished vacation rental condos and houses at Blacklake.  Beautiful and quiet area; available for nightly (three night minimum), weekly or monthly rental.  Discounted daily rates for golf at Blacklake and Avila Beach Golf Resorts, monthly golf rates also available.

For info, please contact Candyce at 805-343-1895.

http://www.vrbo.com/vrbo/16988.htm
http://community.webshots.com/user/candycereed
http://www.a1vacations.com/blacklake/0/

Thanks -
Candyce
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 09:43 by Candyce »

fhp

Diablo Canyon 1983-1985
« Reply #37 on: Sep 04, 2004, 01:14 »
I'm looking for anyone that worked there during these years.

mushroom

Re: Diablo Canyon 1983-1985
« Reply #38 on: Nov 09, 2004, 02:33 »
Diablo
Yep, I was there.  Part of the infamous night shift perge just prior to startup.
Mushroom

Offline hdpaul1

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
in-house planner payscale at diablo canyon
« Reply #39 on: Oct 17, 2006, 03:50 »
Does anybody know the payscale for an in-house maintenance planner at Diablo Canyon?

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #40 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:24 »
barbara, rick, grady, ellsworth, harry's ...this is not an experience one takes lightly...it will change your life...for better or worse...it will change your life.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #41 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:21 »
Great place to work.  Unlike PVNGS, they seem to appreciate you and the work you do.

FatMalky

« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2007, 03:32 »
How does one actually get into Diablo Canyon?

Where do you apply for outage work etc.?

Help would be much appreciated, thanks.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:51 »
While at work during my plant's last outage I was told that you can sit on top of the turbine building and watch whales swim by.  Man if I could afford to live there, I would apply for the NLO ops positions that they have open.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:37 »
I was there for big blue's last staffing. '91 I think
During training, which was held in the evening for the upcoming night shifters, the instructor called a break because the whales were visible out the training building window. We weren't due one, he just thought we should take that opportunity to contemplate our place in the world.
Definately the finest place I ever went.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:09 »

..."before 1973 the sierra club had been in favor of nuclear power...the sierra club was one ot the main reasons the diablo canyon facility was built. after 1973  the united states did not need additional plants, and the sierra club and the environmental movement supported only solar and wind power. the fact is that from 1973 to the present day the united states has had no need for new power."   nuclear power and the spread of nuclear weapons, leventhal, p 226

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2007, 06:59 »
Does anyone have any information on where to stay when at Diablo?
Heading there in April, wondering about rates near the plant.

Thanks.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:43 »

...wondering about rates near the plant.

Second highest in the country last I heard...

We paid $2300 for an okay two-bedroom condo last time I was there.  (...2003?  ...2004?)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2007, 11:01 »
Batman,
Check out the Rose Garden Inn in S L O.  They had great weekly rates when I was there ('97) and the place was clean.  It was a lot better than it looked from the outside.

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2007, 01:20 »
Batman,
The Rose Garden Inn in Pismo Beach/ Arroyo Grande is cheaper than SLO.  If you are looking to motel it, there are several with kitchenettes in Pismo Beach, and most give outage rates.  If you want a furnished condo, check out Coastal Vacation Rentals, http://www.coastalvacationrentals.net/rentals/index.php, they have a lot of furnished condos.
Looking at anywhere from 1400 a month and up for a one bedroom, most have washer/dryers and you have to pay a cleaning fee and security deposit.
They all charge a room tax unless staying over 30 days.

If it is your first time there, check with other techs when you get to training.  Usually, there is someone looking to share a condo.
Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions, I am going there this outage.
It is what it is!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?