Diablo Canyon

Above Average
71 (86.6%)
Average
8 (9.8%)
Below Average
3 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Diablo Canyon  (Read 184704 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Diablo Canyon
« on: Aug 12, 2001, 02:37 »
Don't forget to vote. Keep it civil.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007, 05:58 by Marlin »

Pet_Cow

Re: Rate Diablo Canyon
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2002, 08:47 »
Oh sure- the food is great, pay is nice,  every sunset is a postcard, they let you play cards, the bars are open in the morning, and you can visit Charlie Manson in your off time, (we bonded) but why would anyone want to work there? Where is the challenge?

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2002, 04:48 »
Cause they treat you like a human being. :)  As for the challenge, obviously you have not been there recently.  Techs have gotten less and work load more.  They actually expect you to be a tech, not just show up for money.  Best treatment ever.
It is what it is!

felowe

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2003, 06:51 »
Great place to work. Wonderful weather. Good relations between management and union. Good people all around.

BuffyTheNukeSlayer

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2003, 11:51 »
Good place to work.  Nice environment.  Biggest Problem:  THE SECOND MOST EXPENSIVE PLACE TO LIVE IN CALIFORNIA :o

What you make you will need for the rent or hotel - Think of it as a working vacation.  Studio Apt = 750 to 900 per month, Hotel = 60+ per night.  Since the area is a resort/retirement community and median house range is $700,000 - You get the idea.  Plus don't expect to stay more than 3 to 4 weeks.  That's all I got to say about that :-/

jrc0429

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2003, 08:55 »
This is my third rodeo (house) and this is THE Cadillac Ranch.

Pet_Cow

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2003, 03:37 »
Good place to work.  Nice environment.  Biggest Problem:  THE SECOND MOST EXPENSIVE PLACE TO LIVE IN CALIFORNIA :o

What you make you will need for the rent or hotel - Think of it as a working vacation.  Studio Apt = 750 to 900 per month, Hotel = 60+ per night.  Since the area is a resort/retirement community and median house range is $700,000 - You get the idea.  Plus don't expect to stay more than 3 to 4 weeks.  That's all I got to say about that :-/

You mean not everyone just gets a sleeping bag and lives on the beach?  (Name that tech.- Or is this one too easy?)

Marlene_Souligny

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2003, 07:24 »
Diablo Canyon is my favorite plant in the country to work.  Unfortunately, I've had some long term assignments that have kept me away for the last couple of outages.  At Diablo you are hired by the utility and not through a contract company.  Thus, avoiding co-employment problems and getting better treatment and pay.  You are eligible to join the IBEW union when you are hired.  I, actually filed a grievance while I was there,(which I later won) and still get invited back every outage.  This is unheard of at other sites!  I really miss all of the house techs.  They make you feel welcome and treat you as if you're one of them.  Very professional supervisors that are always very helpful and keep an open door policy.  Hopefully, some day I'll be able to go back for an outage.

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
Re: Diablo Canyon
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2003, 07:35 »
Outage extended by 5 days so far, lots of interesting stuff going on, I would love to hear more details.  Anyone no why containment was evacuated more than once?  

Diablo6293

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2003, 06:21 »
Containment was evacuated due to Containment not ventilated like normally done to reduce possible spread of contamination. Workers cleaning areas on the 91' were using GOSH and Simple Green. One guy was very sensitized to those chemicals from previous exposures at other plants but decided to use them anyway. He complained of dizziness and nausea. Other workers followed suit. Containment evacuated to figure out the cause. ???

classickid

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2003, 01:26 »
;DThis morning at 11:15 Diablo Canyon Experiences and hefty little 6.5 Earthquake.  :o Since all the power is off in this nice little community I was wondering how is the Plant Status.  Of course, the media will not tell us the truth :-X they are even lying about which fault it was on.  We all know that the San Semian Fault is the one and the same Hosgri Fault.  I think it funny that they are trying to say that the upper half of the fault is called one name and the bottom half which amazing starts at the plant is called another.  Well being the fault is not to far from the front door of the plant I am sure you guys over there really felt it.  

I hope you are all okay  ???and no major damage has occured.  At least if someone in there has power to a computer please let your fellow Nukers know you're okay and the plant will be open for another outage or maybe a decommissioning. ;D

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2003, 03:02 »

I hope you are all okay  ???and no major damage has occured.  At least if someone in there has power to a computer please let your fellow Nukers know you're okay and the plant will be open for another outage or maybe a decommissioning. ;D

For the record, use some discretion when replying. There was a minor tremor near the AL/GA/TN state lines about 4:00 AM in the spring. A buddy called in to a talkradio station, and gave his name, and that he was the "Licensed operations instructor for emergency response" at SQN. He wanted to reassure the listeners that the tremor was well below design basis for continued operations.
When he got to work an hour or so later, there was a PER sheet (TVA corrective action program, same as CR some other utilities) on his desk for him to fill out. The plant management considered his call an unauthorized press release. :o
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2004, 09:47 »
QUESTION :  Anyone know Diablo's policy about motorhomes on the access road?  (I know they let me bring my pickup/camper combo, but made me drop my trailer at Fat Cat's, so...)

I'm thinking about buying a 20' motorhome, but don't want to have to hitch-hike from the checkpoint every day.

Thanks!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2004, 08:40 »
20ft?!  What, you gonna sleep with your feet hanging
out the back window? ;D

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2004, 10:34 »
20ft?!  What, you gonna sleep with your feet hanging
out the back window? ;D

Yeah, probably!  ...but Diablo'll be warm enough to do that and YOU will still be chipping out from this freezing rain crap! :D

(Actually, I did a 20' motorhome for a couple of years and it's the PERFECT size for one rent-a-tech on these new short outage parties they are throwing.)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2004, 05:32 »
I've never been to the Canyon, but based on personnel presently at BFN, I have only three words:

WHAT ABOUT BOB??!!!   
He's here, and we want him there.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2004, 09:35 by Roll Tide »
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2004, 05:36 »
Unca Buffalo--- They used to let you park the motorhome on site and stay.  Now they no longer do it.  You can get a space at the end of the access road, and then either drive in or hitch a ride with someone.
It is what it is!

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2004, 10:10 »
I can't see why they wouldn't let you park in the upper lot, it is outside the primary vehicle barrier system.  I will check with them though and find out.  How about buying a moped, and riding that up the hill.  Sounds like fun to me!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2004, 11:51 »
Unca Buffalo--- They used to let you park the motorhome on site and stay.  Now they no longer do it.  You can get a space at the end of the access road, and then either drive in or hitch a ride with someone.

I don't need to stay every day...that's the nice thing about a 20-footer...you don't mind driving it back & forth to the campground each day.  I was 18 mpg in my last motorhome...Dolphin on a Toyota chassis.

Thanks for the info and good Karma onya! :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2004, 11:54 »
I can't see why they wouldn't let you park in the upper lot, it is outside the primary vehicle barrier system.  I will check with them though and find out.  How about buying a moped, and riding that up the hill.  Sounds like fun to me!

Actually, a moped (or Vespa Scooter?) sounds like a GREAT idea!  I'll check into that. :)

Thanks!  Karma onya!

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:44 »
Short Duration Stays, where money isn't a problem:

The Cliffs at Shell Beach (Hotel).  You can't beat the Cliffs, excellent food, great view, good bar, and better happy hour (with free food).

The Oxford Suites is also good, as every nites stay comes with a ticket for free breakfast (a real buffet not one of those stupid continental things), and two tickets for free drinks at the bar.  Not as nice as the cliff's, but more reasonable.

F. McKlintocks is a great steakhouse with a fun attitude, but bring your appetite and your wallet, cause your going to need it.

A.J. Spurs is similar to the above, for those who seek variety in there steak intake.

Watch out for sharks when swimming in the ocean!

IBENNUKED

« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2004, 03:59 »
Love the area, the plant is good... long walk from lot 1 though.

Nuetrino

« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2004, 04:54 »
I will have 2 rooms for rent for the upcoming Diablo Outages.  It is a brand new fully furnished, 3/2 house with a washer/dryer, full kitchen, living room and private porch for each room.  It is in a quiet neighborhood in Arroyo Grande, off street parking, just 15 minutes from the Diablo Gate, 1 mile from the ocean, and convienient (1-3 miles) to stores and restaurants.  I work in operations and will be on an outage schedule too. Linens, dishes, towels, utensiles etc provided.  Bedroom wall are insulated and doors are solid (quiet) and lockable.

Master Bedroom: King size bed, private bathroom, private porch $225/wk, $250/couple.

Guest Bedroom: Queen size bed, rear porch, shared bathroom, $200/wk, $225/couple.

Will be available 3/15 (if needed sooner, make inquiry)

Contact WJML@PGE.com

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:44 »
FINALLY! This is the best Lodging post I have seen.

This is the kind of place I would want to stay for the Outage, but the kind of information usually available only on message boards when you get to the site for training. I will include Diablo Canyon on my future wish lists for outages.
+Karma to you. 8)

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Apr 05, 2004, 05:50 »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is 1R12 / DCPP?
It sounds like a good post, but I will move it to the most relevant location (Talk About:???? most likely).
THANKS. 8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?