Career Path > Getting in

How does one get started in the field

(1/1)

Lay:
Hi all,

I read last week that the nuclear energy industry is concern (read it here in fact: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070426/lf_nm/usa_nuclear_workers_dc)

I am a chemical engineer and have had a LOT of trouble finding work these days.  So I've been thinking of a career change.

Is that article for real, or just some kind of hype and there are plenty of workers for the industry?
If so, what kind of education does one need to get into the field?
What schools offer those programs?  Is there going to be much overlap with the CME courses I've already taken?

Fermi2:
Wanna bet your questions have been answered many times over and if you'd just use the search function or browse the website you can find them?

When you were getting your Chemical Engineering degree did you have people doing your studying for you?

Mike

Lay:
Thanks for your help.

Roll Tide:

--- Quote from: Broadzilla on May 07, 2007, 02:36 ---When you were getting your Chemical Engineering degree did you have people doing your studying for you?

--- End quote ---

We need a volunteer for the "Welcome Wagon". Are you available Mike?  :o

Now that the Great Lakes introduction is over, the answer to Lay's question is YES. The nuclear industry is poised to hire many people in the near future (though the actual number hiring today is significant).

Figure out what you want to do in the industry. I doubt you got a Chemical Engineering degree to do lab analysis, though that is an option. Chem lab experience would open many doors to you.

Contractors process resin and waste water at most plants. They would like to have a Chem Eng that is good with his hands. It might be the fastest way for you to get a foot in the door. Ecolochem, Naldeco, and other companies (the names change fairly often due to mergers / buyouts) provide these services.

OPS is my preference, and I admit I am prejudiced. If you have been working as a chemical engineer in a factory, it is more similar to OPS than any other discipline. The training will be challenging, but you will be well compensated and in high demand. Best of all, they pay you to train.

If you REALLY like the training, you can jump over to instructor down the road.

Look at each utility (or contractor) website where you would be willing to work. Express your interest in employment / apply for listed jobs as applicable for each one. And as BZ so gruffly pointed out, some of those issues have been raised in other threads.

If you hit a brick wall, post a specific question here.

Good luck

ROLL TIDE!

tr:
You may also want to look at the actual fuel fabrication plants (GE in Wilmington NC, Westinghouse in Columbia SC, etc.).   Depending on the company, significant industrial scale chemical processes are used (converting UF6 gas to UO2, etc). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version