NukeWorker Menu GRE

Author Topic: GRE  (Read 7547 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
GRE
« on: Jun 25, 2007, 12:33 »
Okay, I decided I might go back to school for the fall semester, so I wandered in and took the GRE 'cold'.  I scored substantially lower than I should have.  This was partially due to NOT knowing that the computer-based test won't let you review your answers (so I did NOT spend as much time on some questions as I should have...thought I could go back after the 'easy' questions...).   Mostly it was because I hadn't done any studying in a couple of years, so wasn't in 'test-mode'.  :/

Anyway, here's the question:  I scored high enough that I should be able to get into the program I want, but wondered if it's worth studying up and re-taking the test for other (fellowships?  grants?  ???) purposes...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NucEng for Hire

Re: GRE
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2007, 05:05 »
The GRE is intended to test you in a manner in which studying "material" does not substantially improve your score. That being said, some improvement in score can be made by becoming more familiar with the test structure, which it appears you could benefit from in a retest. I might suggest using one of the more basic GRE prep guides that carry top ratings on Amazon; it will get you familiar with the structure and some good test-taking techniques - anything more than that won't get you a substantial return on investment.

Those fellowships are pretty gravy, so it may be worth it.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: GRE
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2007, 12:51 »
The GRE is intended to test you in a manner in which studying "material" does not substantially improve your score. That being said, some improvement in score can be made by becoming more familiar with the test structure, which it appears you could benefit from in a retest..

Yeah, I think they made the Verbal portion fairly 'study-proof'...you either have the vocabulary or you don't.  But I don't play with algebra equations or trig concepts every day, so thought I could probably do a bit better on the Math if I looked things over for a couple of weeks.

I might suggest using one of the more basic GRE prep guides that carry top ratings on Amazon; it will get you familiar with the structure and some good test-taking techniques - anything more than that won't get you a substantial return on investment.

It looks like the GRE website has some fairly good practice tests...I probably should have taken time to do them before I hit the real thing... 

Those fellowships are pretty gravy, so it may be worth it.

Thanks.  I will look into them!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?