Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I DID IT! honeypot

Author Topic: I DID IT!  (Read 28530 times)

Fermi2

I DID IT!
« on: May 09, 2007, 03:26 »
I passed my NRC SRO Exam today!!!! While it's not my first license it's still exciting to Git R Done!!!

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm gonna go call Roll Tide a dirty non qual!!!

Mike
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 12:29 by Rennhack »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 03:35 »
Hearty congrats - that's a lot of work, a lot of knowledge, and a lot of understanding how things work.
Now that you GOT R DUN...keep R runnin ;D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 04:19 »
Congratulations Mike -- no matter how many times you do it, it is still quite an achievement.

Let me buy you a Karma point.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 04:24 »
Way to go Mike!  Great job!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

shayne

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 06:31 »
Congrats...

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 08:52 »
Congrats, quite an achievement.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

navytwinmom

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 08:56 »
Way to go you grummpy old coot!! Never had a doubt your would not pass!!  8)

D

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 09:06 »
Congratulations!!  I'll spring for a coke in the cafeteria if they let us come down for your fall outage!

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2008, 08:35 by Limited Quanity »
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 12:21 »
Dinner is on me.

Can I order you a pizza?

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: I DID IT!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 06:40 »
Congrats Mike, a BIG accomplishment.

Does this mean Roll Tide can't watch movies ???

Karma to ya'
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 07:16 »
I passed my NRC SRO Exam today!!!! While it's not my first license it's still exciting to Git R Done!!!

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm gonna go call Roll Tide a dirty non qual!!!

Mike

EXCELLENT!

After you have savored the moment for another 30 minutes or so, tell us if you would still recommend instant SRO (not for previously licensed, but for those who have never held one).

Guess I will go try to get some sigs...  8)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

stownsend

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 08:38 »
Nice job

Offline Longhornfan

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 09:39 »
Well done and Congrats!

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 10:54 »
BZ, BZ!

LaFeet

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 12:00 »
Great Job,,  did the cue cards help  :P

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 03:25 »
good job BZ!  ;D  what's next, Nukeworker Forum Board Moderator Class?

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 11:17 »
Mike

Congratulations you cranky ol' fart (spoken with tongue in cheek, as I believe you are younger than I...) Remember this sense of accomplishment when answering the Newbies that come here seeking advice.

Seriously, good job, Dude.  8)
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

wolfxoman

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 10:02 »
Congrats on passing the exam.  I hear it's a real bugger.   

HLM

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 12:29 »
Mike,

Congradulations!!! :)

A Question:  How much classroom/cramming/study time did you have to put in "get er done"?

howie

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 07:06 »
congradulashuns!   duz dis meen yinze gits two ware dem prest shirts 'n preppy ties? 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 10:52 »
Donna LOL for one weekend I shall be non grumpy. In fact mostly what I've been doing is sleep. I cannot believe how tired I was when I got done.

As for study time there's a few factors involved that aren't there for many instants. I was a BWR SRO and had not worked at a PWR since the navy oh so long ago so I had to unlearn BWR at the same time I was learning PWR. That might seem minor except in a few ways a BWR behaves exactly opposite of a PWR and the procedures reflect it. Try unlearning 12 years of conditioned license behaviour. Also PWR EOP and AOP are very structured whereas BWR are not. It was difficult for me to learn to stay within a structure like that in an emergency. On the other hand it was gratifying being able to pperate at the actual control panels and see that I still have good instincts.

Item two: I grew up at my old plant, from an NLO up through the ranks. I'd been in every single inch of that plant and probably had done everything at least once. Here I had to learn new systems. During systems training I spent 3 to 4 hours a night at home studying. Every Friday afternoon I'd trace systems or walkdown procedures. I'd get up at 5am and go walk down the plant for 4 or 5 hours every Saturday. Sunday I'd study 6 hours minimum. Usually in the morning so it wouldn't impact my family. I kept this up pretty much for 26 months though after I knew the layout of the plant I stopped walking it down every week. I also have this thing but I feel if I'm going to send an NLO out to do a job I better know exactly where he/she is going and what hazards he/she will face. Also what are the special things they need to do to get their job done. I figure if I'm going to be managing them doing their jobs I at least owe them the respect of knowing what they'll be doing and how. On the average I put in about 20 to 25 hours of my own time every week except during the last three weeks and that was because we had 5 days a week with 8 hours study time a day and that was enough to drive me crazy. It would drive anyone nuts.

I actually had my post license outing BEFORE I took my exam. I was to take it the Thursday before. Tuesday I had arranged with some of my buds from Fermi to come up there and party after I took my exam on Thursday. No more had the arrangements been made than my boss called telling me the exam got moved about a week. I figured ya know, I'm stuffed with this I'm gonna go anyway. So I went to Monroe and had a GREAT time ,Kevin, Pose, CMFR, Joey, Timbo, Chris and Alesia (my favorite waitress ever I love you girl :)) Thanks a lot. I can't imagine a better time . This was actually a great stress reliever and really reset my mind for my exam. John I'd thank you too but I'm still pissed at you over that email!!!! Mrs BZ insisted I go as I was acting like a caged bear.

Limited, if you come down look me up. Find an Operator and just ask for Bru. Or have Campy point me out.

No movies for Roll Tide.

Slo Go, GAWD I hope TVA never makes SMs wear Ties. I had enough of that at Fermi. It was ridiculous. The Dayshift SM had to wear a tie and he'd go to meetings and Upper Management wouldn't be wearing them. Talk about a SUPER example.

Gotta run

Mike

PS:  Alesia It was AWESOME seeing you sweetie!! We do love you!!! One of you Fermi guys get that to her ok?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 11:11 »

I I also have this thing but I feel if I'm going to send an NLO out to do a job I better know exactly where he/she is going and what hazards he/she will face. Also what are the special things they need to do to get their job done. I figure if I'm going to be managing them doing their jobs I at least owe them the respect of knowing what they'll be doing and how.

Mike,
This is what makes you This alone makes you a great supervisor.  That sense of responsibility will be seen by those whom you supervise and will earn you the respect that you deserve.  Give Mrs. BZ Happy Mothers Day wishes from us and enjoy your weekend.

Peace,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 10:58 »
Thank you. It's also not something I merely play lip service to. The guy who hired me at Fermi eventually became a Shift Manager. I have always been a firm believer in treating your people well, plus the fact is I just like nukes, they don't have to be operators. Anyway the guy who hired me always treated his people well. I used to love working on his shift because you could see the obvious respect he had for his people and how they respected him. I remember the great shift meals he'd throw and it was something I adopted when I became an SM. For instance I have always bought my shift a Prime Rib Dinner whenever we've had to work a holiday or come up with ideas for breakfast. I had an STA who really got into the breakfast concept and would create menus for "Breakfast At Mikeys". I think you gotta hold your people to a high standard and I've found if you show basic respect and treat everyone fairly and allow a certain bit of fun they'll meet virtually any standard you set for them. When I had my last group at Fermi I had Suzy Q Day. The last day or night at every shift I'd pick one or two people who I felt had done a good job during the week make a little speech about them and what they did at turnover, followed by a joke and I'd give them a Suzy Q and sometimes a toy.  The criteria was always my own and it wasn't usually for someone who got a job done quickly. It might be someone who kept crew moral up, it might be someone who came up with a better way of doing something and got it adopted. It wasn't always an Operator ,  I rewarded 5 Suzy Qs to Engineers, I think maybe 7 or 8 to Radcon, a couple to Chemistry, and a few to maintenance. The guys seemed to love it and after they caught on that Suzy Qs were to be a fact of Shift 2 life they'd start asking if they could recommend people. One of the guys even had a chart about who had gotten them. It was fun and I think we all had a good time. I know I sometimes come off as being gruff here but as a boss I am very approachable though one thing I will never do is subvert one of my supervisors authority because I believe once you start doing that you lose everyones respect.

Mrs BZ is happy because I'm no longer thinking about an exam!! I will pass along your best wishes to Mama BZ. I think she and Babygirl BZ have big plans for tomorrow, a girls only day, THOUGH I will duly note that Babygirl BZ was very enthused about my offer to pay for lunch provided I could go as I love Japanese Steak. Of course I am expected to get lost immediately after paying for lunch :)

Mike

aturner

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 03:52 »
Congrats BZ!

It's been quite a while since I posted but I got some good info from you and Roll Tide when I was in the job market.  I've been back in the recent weeks as my desire has peeked again.

Sounds like you've got some qualities we'd all like to see in our managers.

Once again, congrats!

visserjr

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 05:49 »
BZ, congrats! I remember the help you gave me when I was getting out of the navy. Some say your grumpy, but I say you tell it like it is or should be, or something profound like that. But, seriously dude, you are the beacon in a foggy harbor for the rest of us to follow. 8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?