Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A question for the girls honeypot

Author Topic: A question for the girls  (Read 8864 times)

jorji

A question for the girls
« on: May 23, 2007, 12:52 »
Hey all,

I am just curious to know if there are very many (ex-Navy) girls out there in the Nuke field. Have any of you girls had problems finding jobs after getting out of the Navy?

Jorji
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 01:32 by Marlin »

Fermi2

Re: A question for the girls
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 01:15 »
Opening up a thread only for the girls is very sexist in my opinion.

While not a girl I'd like to think I have the capability to answer your question, then again since you excluded my input I suppose we'll never know.

Mike

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 01:31 »

While not a girl I'd like to think I have the capability to answer your question, then again since you excluded my input I suppose we'll never know.

Mike

I have got to disagree with you on this one, I think that someone who experiences something from a specific perspective is uniquely equipped to comment. I don't think any thread should be closed to anyone, but one inviting comment from a specific group of Nukeworkers is not uncommon on this site.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:24 »

And all this time I thought that just the use of the word 'girls' was sexist.

Having said that, it is fine to solicit information from a particular group. It is also allowable for others not solicited to reply as long as it is on topic, which so far no one is.

Any on-topic replies out there?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:27 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

alphadude

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 03:10 »
"girls"  dude u dint say dat....

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 03:56 »
Any on-topic replies out there?

Ditto
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

boats

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 03:59 »
Jorji,

I'm a female ex-Navy Nuke. I did 6 years as an EM and got out, I decided to go commericial Nuke two years later. I immediately got interviews for every plant I applied for and took the first job offered (as a non-licensed operator0. The jobs ARE out there if you look and they (those who do the hiring) are very open to females.

That being said, at the plant I work at, there is only one other female non-licensed operator and one female licensed operator. Expect to be one of the few, but if you enjoy the work like I do, you'll be fine. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! Good luck!

Jessica

LaFeet

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 04:30 »
 I m an equal opportunist.... as long as you can do the job, go for it.  I dont care what color, sex, how many fingers or if you are your own grandpa....

The best PERSON should be the one that gets the job.

Good luck Jorji, hope to see you out there.  And thanks for your time in

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 11:32 »
Jorji, Although this is a male dominated field there are and have been women nuclear workers for many years now and most are treated well and respected. Although I never made it farther than a control point monitor/junior I have known some really smart and hard working female techs, pipe fitters, etc.

Go for it!!!

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 08:54 »
At the “quasi” federal utility I work for, if you are a member of any “diversity” group you automatically get put ahead of a white male in the hiring process.
I’m not trying to start an argument or say whether it's right or wrong, that’s just the way it is.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 09:04 »
At the “quasi” federal utility I work for, if you are a member of any “diversity” group you automatically get put ahead of a white male in the hiring process.
I’m not trying to start an argument or say whether it's right or wrong, that’s just the way it is.

I have worked for government sites also, and I know it sometimes seemed to be the case, however I believe it was more a matter of perception rather than reality. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 09:13 by PWHoppe »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

illegalsmile

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 03:55 »
If you can do the work, you'll have no problem finding a job. If you can't....well, we have a lot of people of all demographic profiles out here who can't or won't do the work, but have the job and cash the paycheck.

LaFeet

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 05:56 »
....well, we have a lot of people of all demographic profiles out here who can't or won't do the work, but have the job and cash the paycheck.

Thats the real problem with this industry

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 10:26 »
Thats the real problem with this industry
Bingo

LaFeet

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 06:08 »
jorji.... get out there, prove yourself and do the work.....  you will do fine

Hope to cross paths with you down the road ... Lafeet

Offline CarolinaGirl

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 08:26 »
Hi Jorji,
I've never been in the Navy but I have worked in commercial nuclear power since '81 (House & Road Tech). I have never had any problems due to being in the minority sex.  If you are professional, you will be treated as a professional.  The nuclear industry is a much kinder, gentler place to work now as compared to the '80's.  Just remember to treat the guys the way you want to be treated and you won't have a problem.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?