Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Security clearance specifics or lack thereof

Author Topic: Security clearance specifics or lack thereof  (Read 4456 times)

lawdog

Security clearance specifics or lack thereof
« on: May 23, 2007, 05:58 »
Hi all, I'm getting back into the nuclear world after 4 years off and I have already been offered two operator jobs at civilian plants(never badged at a civilian plant in any capacity).  Anyways, I filled out all of my paperwork, was brutally honest, all facts match, etc etc, and on to the references part.  I provided all of my references, and they started getting phone calls.  The background people were looking for college friends from 14 years ago, co-workers that somehow know two of my personal friends, and they also told me three times that if this isnt wrapped up in 2 days that I will not be getting my background checks.  Personally speaking, if you have 1-2 friends from 15 years ago, you are probably pretty lucky.  Im back in my home town and I only know like one person from the late eighties, early nineties.  To be brutally specific,  how many levels of friends and co-workers am I required to have in some pyramid scheme with me on the top.  The investigators were somewhat rude, not understanding how I haven't kept track of old friends and bar pals, also is this three days and you won't get a clearance valid, or are they bullying me, or is this the way it always goes in the realm of background checks, since it appears from the boards that I am not the only non planted in one town for 10 years kind of person here.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Security clearance specifics or lack thereof
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:33 »
Yeah, don't sweat it.  Just answer thr questions, fill out the paperwork with no blank spaces (both timewise and on the forms) and be truthful.  The rest is up to them.
What they are looking for is what they call "developed references".  It is important that they interview people who are not on your list.  They figure that you will only give them names of people who are going to say favorable things about you, and that they are expecting to be called.  Naturally, they are digging for people who are not expecting to be called and are not necessarily your biggest fans.
To get these references, they have to ask your references "who else do you know who knows lawdog?"  When they get far enough back in your history without getting the same names that you supplied, they can call it quits.
The trick is to give them names of people who not only know you, but know your other friends and family.  So, you don't put down the names of your best buddies - you put down the names of your oldest friends.  Even if you only keep in touch every few years, they are better for this purpose than the guy you play golf with every weekend.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

lawdog

Re: Security clearance specifics or lack thereof
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 10:09 »
Cool, thanks Beercourt, I will try and kick them the oldest names I can get a hold off that are also know members of my family and such..

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?