Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Need some educated opinions concerning security  

Author Topic: Need some educated opinions concerning security  (Read 8319 times)

BrownsFerry5

Need some educated opinions concerning security
« on: Jun 05, 2007, 03:36 »
Newby here, I have a security question for EVERYONE who knows. Let me know your opinions:

I have found this to be a REALLY great source of info recently.  I have been involved in the hiring process for TVA Browns Ferry since Dec. 06. To give ya'll a view of my past, I graduated from Calhoun Community College in 04 with an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Electrical Instrumentation.  I have been working at a small electronics company for 4 years now as a Test Engineer Tech.  I love calibrating, testing, and troubleshooting.  I had always hoped for the opportunity to get on with TVA, but it seemed like such a far stretch.  I have successfully made it through the weeding out of applicants for the Instrument Mechanic Trainee position.  I was extended a job offer last week and took my MMPI and Physical on 6/4/07 (GLAD THATS BEHIND ME!!).  I received a clean bill of health thus far from the plant physician. They still have to complete my MMPI and blood work.

The thing is, I have a minor blemish in my history I'm not proud of.  I had a 1 car accident on 12/20/01 when I was 19 years old. I had been drinking earlier that night with my buddies, nothing heavy. Story made short, a State Trooper came to the scene, gave me a field test, passed, but was arrested on suspicion of DUI anyways.  Blew a .04, which was illegal for under 21.  I never got my license revoked and it was dismissed. However, the arrest record and charge still exist.

When I filled out my pre interview application packet they mailed to me, I didn't include this on the Personnel Security (short form).  I read it thoroughly and noticed it said something about not having to report "youthful offender" charges, so I reluctantly left it off. I am really concerned this might come back to haunt me.  I wasn't trying to hide anything, just provided the information they "requested".  When I went for my fingerprints, MMPI, and physical I got an official, full length Personnel Security package which clearly stated to list EVERYTHING except minor traffic violations under $200 since you were 18.  So, I provided them in all honesty with the dates and info of this blemish. I knew I definitely didn't want to hide it then.  My concern is that they will see I didn't list it on my application packet, but I did on my Personnel Security background info packet that morning.  Will this prevent me from being employed? Should I have disclosed it earlier even though it didn't fall into being "required"?  I really want this job, it is an answered prayer.  What do ya'll think, did I screw up? What happens now? I have perfect credit “knock on wood”, and no other arrests or convictions.

Thanks for all the valuable lessons and experiences all of you have provided on here, I'll definitely be around!

LaFeet

Re: Need some educated opinions concerning security
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2007, 04:06 »
As long as you are honest, I don't think that you have anything to fear.  Heck, they keep techs on who have rap sheets.... Good Luck

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2007, 07:54 »
What LaFeet said.  Honesty is most definitely the best policy in this case. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2007, 09:03 »
Here's what you have to report.
Past CONVICTIONS
CURRENT pending charges

Past arrests that did not result in a conviction, and are no longer pending, do not exist.  HOWEVER, put them down anyway.  This is a minor blemish on an otherwise clean history.  Disclosing it only does you credit.  It shows that you are honest and forthcoming.  THey can't ding you for not including it on your application package because you were not supposed to.

Just tell the truth.  If this is the worst thing you have to put down, you are miles ahead of most other people.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

BrownsFerry5

« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2007, 10:39 »
Thanks guys!!  And sorry NASCAR about posting this in the wrong area.  I have been over stressing about that particular issue.  I have no other concerns.  My health is good, drug free, good credit, and havent been in any more trouble since.  I just get the hibby jibbies when people I don't know go snooping throught my past, lol! Hopefully everything will work out fine with this job.

Can some of you tell me what Instrument Mechanics do in the field?  What kinds of things can I expect?  Please don't hold back anything, I'm not going to be scared off, lol.  I don't mind getting cut, bruised, burnt, hot, sweaty, and frusterated, so share your knowledge!  I am eventually going to try for operator, after I get some years in.  I'm really looking forward to this new job. I've worked in any and every type of environment since I was 14.  Like I said, I'll be popping in and out around here for a while!  Look forward to getting to know all of you. 8)

Offline AS55555

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 08, 2007, 09:21 »
At one time I was the Browns Ferry Maintenance Manager and was involved in the hiring of all trainees. Your one event would definitely not be a deciding factor in the hiring factor. The others are correct - honesty is a must. I hired a number of people who were good workers where several years after hiring it was found they had exagerated about their education or past work and they were let go. The logic being if you lie on your application you can not be trusted and they take your security clearance away.
My best example of it pays to tell the truth is when I was the RPM for Browns Ferry I had one HP tech who had past drug and firearms issues but listed them all and listed his parole officer as a reference. He got his security clearance. On the other hand I hired one HP tech who said he had a degree whwn he was 2 courses short. A degree was not required and he would have been hired without it. He was a great worker and quickly made supervisor. Two years after hiring the final security clearance was completed showing no degree. I was forced to fire him for losing his clearance.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2007, 10:50 »
I hired one HP tech who said he had a degree whwn he was 2 courses short. A degree was not required and he would have been hired without it. He was a great worker and quickly made supervisor. Two years after hiring the final security clearance was completed showing no degree. I was forced to fire him for losing his clearance.
I saw a fellow offered a job with the degree listed on his resume (final 2 classes in progress, and he thought he would complete them prior to the anticipated hiring date). Based on some good advice from friends, he clarified it prior to accepting the position. He still got the job, and doesn't have to worry about keeping it.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2007, 01:48 »
Man I wouldn't sweat it! So long as you placed it on the security form AND are otherwise capable of getting a clearance what you did was minor in the general scheme of all things nuclear.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?