Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Personal Defense Weapons
honeypot

Author Topic: Personal Defense Weapons  (Read 16258 times)

AndrewMullis

Personal Defense Weapons
« on: Jun 06, 2007, 04:52 »
This is likely a stupid question, but since I don't know any better, I'll ask it here anyway.

Obviously, any sort of weapons or ammo are not allowed in the secure area of any nuclear plant.  My question involves having a handgun carry permit, valid in the state I'll be working in.  Am I allowed to have my carry weapon in the car for travel to and from the plant, or is that a big no-no as well? 

Thanks for your help, and pardon my ignorance.

alphadude

Re: Personal Defense Weapons
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2007, 05:23 »
not on company property... no way no how..

Ask a facility manager...Am I allowed to bring fire arms on company property? what do u think the reply will be? You might get a "lock it up" answer but make sure it is in writing because you are on private property and are subject to search at any time.

don't take the word of the good ole boy who hasnt been caught yet or is hunting buddies with the supervisor.. they don't really care.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2007, 05:29 by alphadude »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2007, 10:59 »
Most plants have a sign at the gate says firearms are prohibited on company property with an exemption for security and law enforcement.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Chimera

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2007, 03:11 »
Every plant I have been to has a big sign at the start of the access road stating what items are prohibited on site.  After a while, we get so used to seeing the signs that we don't notice them, but they are there.  Firearms are on that list of things prohibited anywhere in the Owner Controlled Area (that means anywhere on their property, not just inside the Protected Area).  These things are listed in Plant Access Training, too.

LaFeet

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2007, 06:41 »
Dont do it until AFTER you contact Security and verifiy that it is permissible.

Then get it in writing....  based on this, I bet you won't be bringing them onsite.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2007, 08:05 »
not on company property... no way no how..

It was expected that everyone would have one (or more) at Turkey Point. But you have to leave it in the car!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

pappy

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2007, 10:05 »
It was expected that everyone would have one (or more) at Turkey Point. But you have to leave it in the car!

That was the case pre-9/11. They have moved the guard shack out to the access road, so I don't think it applies now. But I do remember those 'Beer & Bullets' days after work at the canal. Amazing the weapons that would come out then.....

rlbinc

« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2007, 10:28 »
A purse size can of White Rain Hairspray with a WD-40 spray nozzle on it and a BIC Lighter makes a dandy 50-state legal flamethrower. It all fits in your pocket or glovebox and has been known to deter all but the most violent PCP influenced criminals.

It just depends on what you mean by Personal Defense Weapon, doesn't it?

alphadude

« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2007, 03:00 »
makes for great liablility .. so mr. power plant owner ..how long have u allowed these types of weapons to be brought on company property where my clients husband was killed???? cha ching...$$$$$

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2007, 08:08 »
Turkey Point allows your legal firearm to be in your car if it is not visible from outside the car, and the car is locked when you are not in it.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

doctormoo

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2007, 07:57 »
the last time i was to turkey point was in the 80's
i think when you got past orlando you entered a different world or at least i felt i did

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2007, 09:20 »
makes for great liablility

Without protection in South Florida is safer than Columbia, but still not reasonable. The parking lot would become a designated hunting area for thugs if an employer prohibited weapons.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

shovelheadred

« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2007, 07:12 »
...thanks Troy,,,after numerous "I think, No Way, No How,,blah blah"..posts we get an answer with credibility....thats what makes this website like talking on a "CB Radio"...you dont know who it is saying what, or where they are getting their information...but I do know that Beercourt was working at TP  recently, and with reading  his prior posts (they are usually full of facts, with explanations) I myself would count this as fact...red

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2007, 08:22 »
I am currently at Turkey Point. There is a sign on the outer doors to the Nuclear Entrance Building (i.e. Security Building) that reads 'No contraband past this point.' Troy (as usual) got it just right... you are allowed to have your gun in the car in the parking lot, but keep it out of sight. There are still a lot of large caliber bullet holes in the stop sign at the nearest intersection to the plant on the 'access road.'
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

alphadude

« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2007, 09:43 »
so you got that "allowed" in writing Roger or is this tribal knowledge...

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Jun 12, 2007, 11:47 »
so you got that "allowed" in writing Roger or is this tribal knowledge...

It is allowed because it is not 'disallowed' until you enter the Security building. That is where the first sign is. And, it has been the practice here since they opened.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

alphadude

« Reply #16 on: Jun 12, 2007, 01:06 »
tribal knowledge.. ask for the formal policy.. other FP&L sites mention no guns or booze allowed on company property...

the parking lot may not be company property or may fall under a public domain caveat.  (winn-dixie parking lot or wal-mart example)

So I would assume that booze is also allowed in the parking lot at TP?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2007, 03:15 »
This is information that I learned, quite to my surprise, during the site-specific portion of my PAT.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2007, 03:46 »
tribal knowledge.. ask for the formal policy.. other FP&L sites mention no guns or booze allowed on company property...

the parking lot may not be company property or may fall under a public domain caveat.  (winn-dixie parking lot or wal-mart example)

So I would assume that booze is also allowed in the parking lot at TP?

It is not tribal knowledge. It is the policy. As Troy pointed out, it is what they teach. The signs say so. Yes, they allow alcohol in the cars, too, don't drink it on the company property (you have to follow state laws about open containers, of course.) Contriband stops at the Security building. This is not other FPL sites, it is Turkey Point. If you chose not to believe me, I can't do anything about that, but those are the facts.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

stownsend

« Reply #19 on: Jun 12, 2007, 04:10 »
1983 Oyster Creek a Junior from down south was there with his 22 hanging in his truck window. Security waited until he went off the property at lunch, pulled him over and held him for the local cops. He was arrested,then fired. Not only did he lose his job but had to return to NJ for court.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #20 on: Jun 12, 2007, 09:16 »
last time i wuz at kewaunee you could have anything in your vehicle that you could legally possess in your vehicle in the kmart parking lot, as per g.e.t. "welcome to kewaunee" speech.  this included firearms and alcohol if of legal age.   dat sayed, it's best to axe security at da plant yer going to.  most contracting companies will be glad to supply you the phone number so that you may call in advance.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

rlbinc

« Reply #21 on: Jun 13, 2007, 04:21 »
I'll stick with the flame thrower idea. Maybe quote some lines from "Pulp Fiction" while deploying it.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?