Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Persons with a pacemaker working at Nuke facility.

Author Topic: Persons with a pacemaker working at Nuke facility.  (Read 3525 times)

Leftover002

I am considering applying for a waste remediation technician position at a nuke site, however I have a pacemaker.  I am trying to find out if I can safely work at such a facility with this condition.  Specifically if the electromagnetic field will interfere with the pacemaker as well as the ability to forfill the  requirements for the position.  Any help would be great, Thanks.  Christopher
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2009, 03:38 by Leftover002 »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Persons with a pacemaker working at Nuke facility.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2009, 10:27 »
As long as you can do the physical part of the job, the pacemaker is not an issue from a nuclear standpoint. I am assuming you are asking if working in a nuclear plant will affect the operation of the implanted device... the answer is no. You are in more danger from a microwave oven than an operating nuclear plant.

However... depending on what you do and where you work, a nuclear plant can be very hot and the work can get quite physical, so you have to decide what kind of physical work you can do. There is also some equipment that operates on (or emits) radio frequencies that may interfere with the pacemaker, depending on its age. Most of the newer ones are less sensitive, but you should check with your doctor or the manufacturer to see what sensitivities your particular device may have.

The amount of ionizing radiation that you would be exposed to should not be an issue.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?