Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Meter Reading Training  

Author Topic: Meter Reading Training  (Read 145874 times)

RADBASTARD

Re: Meter Reading Training
« Reply #100 on: Jun 19, 2007, 01:39 »
Hey HAM,I was told they show you slides of an ro2,Teletector,and a ro2a.Then they show you what scale it is on and the meter reading.
Then you put down what it reads.
Thats sorry if thats the case.
If I was told this incorrectly please correct me,MY BAD IF IM WRONG.

I mean there are some SR HP'S out there who i've seen couldn't get a job as a spell checker in an M & M FACTORY ,and still seem to get jobs
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2007, 01:40 by RadBastard »

Chimera

« Reply #101 on: Jun 19, 2007, 02:21 »
I went to the Bartlett site and looked at the PowerPoint example they have.  Depending on how the test choices are given, everyone should pass this test.  I added that qualifier since I read the scale different by one unit in three of the examples (parallax error?).

How serious is this problem in the industry?  Are there really people who consistently can't read a meter?  I'll allow for the occasional misreading (i.e., wrong scale, lack of light, in a hurry) or perceived "rounding errors" (as long as it's not a shipping survey).  I just find it hard to believe that Techs (whether Junior or Senior) don't have a clue when it comes to reading a meter and/or are too stupid to ask for help when confronted by an unfamiliar instrument.

alphadude

« Reply #102 on: Jun 19, 2007, 03:24 »
not to mention the 10% fudge factor allow during calibration-- geotropism has arisen again -YIKES

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #103 on: Jun 19, 2007, 09:13 »
I think testing is good, but all I am saying is I don't know what this particular test is and if it is fair or not, therefore i won't be throwing any stones until I see it for myself. 

go to the site, take the test, bend over, pick up stones, pick one, and throw. 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

IPREGEN

« Reply #104 on: Jun 20, 2007, 09:04 »
Did the test involve documenting the readings in something besides a g@#*$m logbook?

stownsend

« Reply #105 on: Jun 20, 2007, 09:49 »
Don't take this as defending anyone, as I'm not. I also don't work for Big Blue. Let's put another spin on this. Don't take the test at your computer but put it up on the screen thirty feet away. The only time I ever heard anyone reading a ro20( ro2A at the time) from thirty feet was Art Stockwell's oral board in the cavity using a pair of binoculars.

OUCH stop throwing stone's at me.It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it until I see the actual test myself. Then I'll throw stone's with the rest of you.

Tech A

« Reply #106 on: Jun 20, 2007, 11:17 »
Now I know why IM an HP its because all those years in school I couldnt figure out all those slide shows in school.  I wish I had all these excuses when I was in elementary school.   We all could of been doctors if it wasnt for those tricky slides and overhead projections.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #107 on: Jun 20, 2007, 12:26 »
Don't take the test at your computer but put it up on the screen thirty feet away.

I did that for my class of junior techs... they all passed without any problems. IMHO there is no excuse for having trouble with this test. Then again, I went to school when there were actual consequences for not passing. Maybe if I had been in the 'don't fail anyone it might bruise their tender ego' era I might think differently... but I hope not.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2007, 01:23 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Turbo

• Very Lite User
  • If I only had a brain....
« Reply #108 on: Jun 20, 2007, 01:07 »
All right I have only been in this business a year and a half and I am only a lowly junior hp, and so if I can pass this test anyone should be able to.  Trying to be fair, when I was given the test if the answer was 1.8 and I said 1.9, I was given credit because some of those meters were at an angle.  So if people are not getting credit for being close to the correct answer then that is the flaw of the test administrator.  However take away the ones that I was not dead on and I still would've gotten an 80% which is passing most places you go.  So for those of you that have been in the business for ten+ years, call yourself a senior hp, and really cannot read a meter....... well lets just say i aint gonna take my car to a mechanic that don't know how to turn a wrench.

P.S. There were a couple meters on that test I had never seen before.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2007, 01:12 by Turbo »

stownsend

« Reply #109 on: Jun 20, 2007, 01:16 »
I have no idea who or who didn't pass, I just wanted to look at all possibilities of why before making a judgement. As someone said you may be surprised who failed. My thoughts were "why". IMHO there have been techs in this field who should not have been there to start with. We've all seen the one's who could ace any test but you could only put him at the RBA to frisk tools and watch the PCM's,same pay as all of the rest of us. Then again It's not up to me, it's up to the utilities to decide. In their defense though I've seen where the names had to be removed from the resumes because of the litigious world we live in. Someone didn't get in to the outage and they write home "send lawyers, money and guns".

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #110 on: Jun 20, 2007, 03:17 »
well, i won't be passing any judgements until I take it myself

I too feel as Ham does on this topic. That said if the test is anything like the Bartlett power point I cannot understand how anyone could fail this.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #111 on: Jun 20, 2007, 07:29 »
I have no idea who or who didn't pass, I just wanted to look at all possibilities of why before making a judgement.

yeah, like when eye yam ona rode wit sumbuddy woo kant drive, i look at alla possibilities two.... like ware i kin pass 'n leaf 'em ina dust.  unfortunately, eye kan't due dat wit non-meter reeding seenures now kin i?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

RADBASTARD

« Reply #112 on: Jun 20, 2007, 10:02 »
I think they should all get on the short bus and drive to the unemployment office to ask for some job training in another field.

In the words of carlos mencia they must be a bunch of DEE DEE DEE'S

It's stinking meter for god sake,it's your tool of your trade,come on

What's next the disk smear test or the prober way to take an LAS with a masselin mop.

we a going to hell in a hand basket!
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2007, 10:03 by RadBastard »

LaFeet

« Reply #113 on: Jun 20, 2007, 10:04 »
I think they should all get on the short bus and drive to the unemployment office to ask for some job training in another field.

In the words of carlos mencia they must be a bunch of DEE DEE DEE'S

I a stinking meter for god sake,it's your tool of your trade,come on

What's next the disk smear test or the prober way to take an LAS with a masselin mop.

we a going to hell in a hand basket!

Naw  we survived Calvert during the first Thimble job... everything else is gravy from here on out

stownsend

« Reply #114 on: Jun 21, 2007, 08:46 »
Sitting in training at 2 oclock in the morning with 50 senior HP's and Roger Knight signing off our JPM's.Thirty days of training prior to an outage. "If everyone knows what full pc's are put a check in the yes box, if you don't know what full pc's are put a check in the no box". This went on for an hour. Let's bring back Beaver Valley training and Roger to train us.  NOT. Then we can  have Bartlett send us home on Dec 23 and bring us back on Jan 2 so they don't have to pay us holiday pay.Some one stated to test us on job performance.I quess they never took an oral board.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #115 on: Jun 21, 2007, 11:58 »
agree with p-dub

illegalsmile

« Reply #116 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:14 »
But next time I will be working for The Rock! for 45 and 100 +benefits .
so what contracts does Rock have? It sounds great, but I don't see anyone paying that much to get techs to a job.

Asa1

« Reply #117 on: Jun 27, 2007, 05:06 »
We (the house techs at Palisades) just had to take the "test" during our most recent continuing training cycle. All I've got to say is WOW.

Offline TENN-1

• Moderate User
  • Finished the 5 year plan in only 34!
« Reply #118 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:46 »
You mean "Wow" x (0.1) or "Wow" x (10)?
Things come to those who wait, but usually it's stuff left over from those who hustle!

Asa1

« Reply #119 on: Jun 27, 2007, 11:11 »
Off scale high.

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #120 on: Jun 28, 2007, 05:18 »
Off scale high???
 sounds like a lot of the particles we used to find there!

Oh no ASA, when we doing the Tip run.....I'm hungary.....
 What do you figure your favorite tech scored on this test?  20% unless she took it at BV.

We all took it here at Columbia, didn't think it was a big deal......

klsas

« Reply #121 on: Jun 28, 2007, 09:21 »
Asa - off scale high??

Maybe that is why we were digging contam out of the conrete outside my last time there

Keith

ramdog_1

« Reply #122 on: Jun 28, 2007, 01:25 »
humm I took this silly test and it was no worrys at all and I have been an HP in 10 years so whats the problem ?  some times you got to slow down and read the thing to know what you are looking at .
anyways good luck to all.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #123 on: Jun 28, 2007, 01:59 »
well im in oahu now trying to find an hp job so i can readem here.god this place beat the real hp world on the mainland

Asa1

« Reply #124 on: Jun 28, 2007, 10:17 »
Off scale high referred to how amazed I was. And Barry, as soon as you'll come back, we'll do that TIP run.
Keith, we need some good closers this outage.....Interested?

Asa1

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?