Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Steven Ahlers

Author Topic: Steven Ahlers  (Read 17003 times)

Kavok

Steven Ahlers
« on: Jun 12, 2007, 08:25 »
For those of you that know or have worked with Steve Ahlers...

He was found in his house passed away from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.  There were several notes found to various people he knew.

For those of you who may not have known him, you couldn't work with a better guy.  He was always laid-back; enjoyed talking about old times and old jobs.  He was a major history buff with WWII being his specialty.  He was always considerate and interested in how other people were doing.

He was always checking out NukeWorker to catch up on the latest industry news and Fallen co-workers.

I enjoyed his company at work.  i've worked with him for several years now, starting with Sandia National Labs in New Mexico, to Grand Junction, Colorado, and finally here at Hanford in Washington State.  He also worked at Rocky Flats and was a Road Tech for several years.

Steve, we'll miss you.

illegalsmile

Re: Steven Ahlers
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2007, 09:04 »
Unbelievable!!!! Steve was one of the easiest going people I've ever known. Any idea why?

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2007, 06:19 »
may peace be with him, his family and friends

me2

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2007, 10:10 »
MY, GOODNESS....I hope this is some kind of mistake. Steve never struck me as a person who would do something like that.

I Have heard that this would be (if true) the 2nd person from Hanford in the past week who has passed under odd behavior........

May Steve find peace .....

Offline Hanford Tech

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2007, 11:11 »
Steve Ahlers will have a memorial service on Saturday, June 16,2007 at 10:00 AM at

Hillcrest Memorial Center
9353 W. Clearwater Ave.
Kennewick, WA

Flowers can be sent to the Hillcrest.  Donations can be sent to

Richard Ahlers (Father)
1209 Foxridge Place
Melbourne, FL  32940

I have been in the nuclear industry since 1975 I know no other tech who was caring and concerned for his fellow tech as Steve was. I have lost a true friend. Steve feels no pain now.

illegalsmile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2007, 01:22 »
Does anybody have any info on why Steve did this? He was always so positive and upbeat. I don't ever remember his even being really upset.

Offline camalarm

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2007, 08:57 »
Steve was a great friend and nuclear brother to me. I will miss his humor, the great conversations we had, and the way he could get the whole group laughing. Where Steve was, good morale was sure to follow.  He would be eating chicken at lunch and then he would say  "I hope it doesn't put me in a foul mood".  He had a million of 'em. He will surely be missed.

garyderwin1

« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2007, 07:01 »
steve and i started at the denver radium sights.those were good days he would say when we ate lunch at rocky flats and they were but any day with steve was a good day.steve you dont know how much you will be missed .why brother

dairine

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2007, 12:18 »
Worked with him for almost a year at the WRAP Facility at Hanford. He was a good friend and I am saddened to hear of his passing. We spent alot of time cruising in the golf carts and testing the drums. I can still hear his laugh........... The world is pooer for this loss.

dairine

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2007, 02:41 »
Steven A. Ahlers
This story was published Thursday, June 14th, 2007

Steven Anthony Ahlers, 53, died June 11 at his home in Richland.

He was born in Arkansas City, Kan., and lived in Richland for three years.

He was a radcon technician.

Hillcrest Memorial Center, Kennewick, is in charge of arrangements.

Offline 1way

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2007, 07:32 »
I still can't believe this happened.  Anyone who spent any time with Steve knows what a tremendous person he was.  Always ready with joke or saying that would quickly bring a smile.  I first worked with Steve in Grand Junction CO and I
will never forget how he shook my hand and put me at ease on my first day there after having  suffered through a death in my family.   He would sometimes walk in to where all the techs would be hanging out B-S-ing and announce a "slug alert"!
and then start laughing. 
Another line he'd like to use was to tell people he had a "weak back", if they asked him for how long he would say "oh, about a week back!"  Although he would not broadcast it to people, he was extremely intelligent and very well versed in history.
He was an avid sports fan.  You could always count on Steve buying the "pay per view" for the big fight.  All of us would head out to his place to check it out.  He was an Honorable Vietnam Veteran from a proud military family.  He was very proud to be a seasoned Road Tech.  He will never be forgotten...God Bless You Steve. 

scharfy

« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2008, 09:32 »
Well, it's been over a year since Steve passed but I still remember him almost every day.  I worked with him at WRAP (Hanford) when he passed and will never forget when our manager broke the news to us.  "Disbelief" would be an understatement.  As cheerful, laid-back and helpful a tech as Steve was, he was an even better person to call "friend".  I'll never understand what drove him to what he did, so instead I'll just remember what a great person he was.  RIP Steve. 

tera_rogue

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2008, 08:42 »
My Husband also committed suicide ten years ago from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
I had the following passage from “The Holy Bible: New International Version” engraved on the back of his headstone.

The Lord searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts.
1 Chronicles 28:9

Although I never had the pleasure of working with Steve, I will pray for his peace. I will pray for Steve’s loved ones to allow themselves to understand that eventual acceptance of his passing is necessary. Trying to understand all of the whys, questioning the what ifs and maybes are not necessary and will certainly serve only to keep you in a never ending downward spiral. Please do not anguish over the circumstances of Steve’s death. Please remember Steve’s smile, laughter and celebrate Steve’s life.

Connie Ahlers

Thank you from the family of Steven Ahlers
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2012, 02:13 »
Hello to all the NukeWorkers out there.  I am not a NukeWorker myself, but an RN and the sister-in-law of Steve Ahlers.  I am married to Steve's brother Mike.  We reside in the Houston area.  I found your website a year ago and was very touched by the kind words, prayers and wonderful memories you shared about my brother-in-law.  However it has taken me a year to sit down, become a guest to your forum and write this note of thanks.  Sadly, we lost Steve's father, Lt Col. (ret.) Richard J. Ahlers (Papa) in May to heart failure.  Our family cared for Papa in our home until his death.  It was but one way of thanking a man we loved very much...Steve loved very much.  The loss of Steve was tragic for his mother and father, also for his brother, niece, nephew and myself.  Steve's mother Ginny (Nana), lives in the Houston area nearby.  She and Papa moved down here in 2009.  We spent the last couple of years all together making some great memories.  Nana is doing OK for all she has been through this year.  I guess that is what made her a great wife of a Marine.  Papa had a full military and Catholic service.  Steve, also a Marine who served in the Vietnam War like his father, now lies in rest at the Veteran's Memorial Cemetery in Houston.  In closing I simply want to thank everyone who kept Steve and his family in your thoughts and prayers.  It is a comfort to know so many people cared and loved Steve as much as we do.  Blessings to all, Connie Ahlers 

hptek1

« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:15 »
It's been years since Steve and I worked together at Rocky Flats, we came in with the same group in 1999 and went through many weeks of training in the same class.
When I heard of Steve's death it was a shock then as it still is today many years later.
It's weird how you never know who it is you'll always remember.
Steve I still miss your attitude and sense of humor, I'm glad I met you.
Paul B. (Motel6)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?