Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu MASS (Power Plant Maintenance Positions Selection System) Archive  

Author Topic: MASS (Power Plant Maintenance Positions Selection System) Archive  (Read 155132 times)

MASS

Below is the Archive if MASS and MASS/POSS related discussions.
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2013, 12:42 by Rennhack »

wolfxoman

Re: MASS test
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2008, 03:12 »
I know on some sites web pages they have all the practice exams such as POSS, MASS, ect.  Have him look at the POSS test as well this may have more of the assembly questions he is looking for.

Here are a couple of links to the practice tests:

http://www.progress-energy.com/aboutus/employment/eei/index.asp

or

http://www.nukeworker.com/study/POSS.shtml

I beleive these send you to the EEI and one will give you the ability to purchase a book for studying for the test.

Good Luck :)

jcupertino

MASS different from POSS?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 06:33 »
Hi,

I've been reading all the posts about the POSS/MASS tests and after looking at the EEI overviews of the test I realized something about the Math section of the MASS - it is the short version (meaning the 19 questions in 8 minutes).  Can anyone confirm that? 

That would tell me there are only conversions but not algebra nor word problems. 

Anybody taken the MASS test but not the POSS test?  Any comments appreciated most definitely!  I've been given less than a week to prepare!

BoilerHP

Re: MASS different from POSS?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:15 »
In the post about "POSS short math section" your question is answered... I would read this

The MASS math section is the exact same as the conversion section of the POSS. So you are correct with the time/number of Qs/ no word and algebra questions. I have not taken the MASS, but this is what I remember from that post.

jcupertino

CRITERIA FOR PASSING MASS/POSS
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:52 »
Interesting thought:

I took the MASS/POSS combo test, and the short math version was administered first -- this part counts for the MASS test.  I was only able to answer 7 of the 18 questions.

When I took the math section for the POSS - the long version - I completed all of the conversions because I had already seen many of them during the short version of the test.

As a result, assuming the other tests went well -- I could have passed the POSS test but not the MASS.  Will know soon.

Anyone know if the criteria for scoring the two tests is the same?  If I got all 7 answers correct on the short math test MAAAAYBE I still passed.

jcupertino

Re: CRITERIA FOR PASSING MASS/POSS
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:26 »
Update:  I passed the MASS, but not the POSS.  Go for an interview soon.  Thanks for all the help.

79fordf3504x4

MASS TEst Scores and HAZWOPER Info
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2009, 10:52 »
Hello to everyone, im new to the industry and recently applied for a Nuclear Maintenance Journeyman postition at a Nuclear Plant. I was called in to take the MASS, PAT, and a questionarre test and was informed that day that i passed them all. My question is does anyone know what the total score amount it? I scored 102 and the test administraitor said we needed to score a minimum of 83 to pass, obviously you can score over 100 but im just curious id the 102 score is good or not. My other question is would it be beneficial to me to get the 40 hour HAZWOPER certificate now  or is that something the plant gives you when your hired? Thank you

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: MASS TEst Scores and HAZWOPER Info
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2009, 08:37 »
Students taking tests are fond of saying 80 = 100... if you get an 80% (passing) score on a test you have achieved the same goal as someone who got 100%. In most cases very true. In this case 102 = 100.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

68rs327

Taking the Poss Mass Test tomorrow. Quick Question
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2009, 06:30 »
I am taking the Poss Mass Test tomorrow.  I have been studying all week. I have taken the practice test (EEI) at least 25 times.
As everyone says, the MATH has me worried. Can anyone give me some examples of the math that may be on the test?, Especially the ALGEBRA questions? Also, I have read about every topic on Poss Mass on this site and others. Am I correct in saying that do the questions that you an answer quick first then go back and do the hard ones? They only count the questions you get correct, so if you leave several blank, it isn't going to hurt you?  Does anyone know what percentage you have to answer to pass? I am a little nervous, Thanks for all your help guys.

thenuttyneutron

Re: Taking the Poss Mass Test tomorrow. Quick Question
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2009, 07:32 »
I have made several posts about this issue.  REFER to the picture that I uploaded.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2009, 07:32 by The Nutty Neutron »

coalfired

POSS/MASS
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2010, 10:10 »
Hello everyone, last week I took the combination test for a fossil fuel plant. Received my results yesterday....I passed the POSS, MASS, and the IM MASS portion! I am very very excited! I would like to personally thank everyone on this site for all the in-depth posts about preemployment testing.  I was very worried about the fact that I did not finish enough on each test.
Assembly-approximately 2/3.
Mechanical-all but 3.
Reading comprehensive -finished all.
Lines test(not graphs)-14 of thirty some.
Short math(all conversions )-9 of 19.

Thanks again everyone.

Offline sps

• Lurker
MASS/POSS testing
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 10:06 »
-I took the MASS/POSS combination test a couple of weeks ago and today I received the notification that I met or exceeded the required score for EEI companies on both the MASS and the POSS.  I was worried that I did not do very well right after I took the test, but I did study and I applied the advice that is given on this forum, so I can credit that for passing.  
-The test started with conversions.  I had many of these memorized so I worked mainly from that.  Memorizing many conversions gave me plenty of time to work through the test.  At one point I stopped and counted how many I had completed and realized that I had probably finished enough, so I slowed down and worked carefully on the more difficult ones.  I felt that I did OK and I finished quite a few, but not all.  
-Assembly was next.  I did all the ones I could figure out quickly and skipped the harder ones or the ones with many pieces.  I then went back to the harder ones.  I left some blank on purpose.  
-Mechanical concepts came next.  I either knew the answer or I didn’t.  I believe I knew most of them, but there were a few I was not quite sure about.  I think I finished about all of them.  Like someone else said, “these are intuitive in nature”.  
-Tables came next.  This was easy.  I worked fast and I used my left hand to work the table and I kept my right hand close to the next answer line because I started using both on the table and had a harder time finding the answer line than working the graph.  I was maybe a little more than half way down the second column when time was called.   This was a very easy section.  
-The lines graph was next.  This one should be easy, but I think I started off reading the graph wrong and this made me nervous.  I finished maybe about 17-20.  I was not real sure how well I did.  
-We were given a break at this point.  
-Reading came next.  At this point I was tired and still a little in shock from my breakdown on the lines test.  I had trouble concentrating and I feel that I did not do very well.  This section should be easy and the questions follow along with the paragraphs.  The articles were mostly informative stuff that should be common knowledge to power plant workers.  Some what would be the best title stuff, but mainly just factual information easily found in the text.  
-The long math was last.  Conversions were identical to the short version taken earlier.  At this point I realize that I did one conversion from memory wrong on the first test.  Again I did only the conversions that I could work very easy with little to no paper figuring.  I was eager to get to the algebra as I enjoy it.  This was very simple stuff.  The kind you would do in junior high or high school pre-algebra (maybe not even that hard). Example:  2x+2=4.  There are some with decimals, but nothing tricky.  I did find some that had the dreaded no answer choice and I did not mark an answer because this bothered me and I felt I had finished enough anyway.  If you can work the problems on the practice test the math will be no problem.  I feel that the math test I took was easier than the practice test.  I finished quite a few conversions and all the algebra (except two of which I chose to leave blank) and I did a couple very easy third page problems.  
-Stay calm, practice with an ASVAB book, and study a mechanical aptitude and spatial relations book and you will do fine on the test.  Like I said at the beginning, I did not think I did very well right after the test, but I must have done well enough.  It can be a high pressure situation and that is the hardest part about it.  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:40 by sps »

Guitar Salad

Difference between MASS and POSS tests?
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2010, 11:54 »
This is probably answered somewhere in these forums, but is there a large difference between POSS and MASS tests?  I took the POSS test when interviewing for an AO position at Palo Verde in Arizona about 2-1/2 years ago (seems like they don't want anyone who isn't a Navy nuke or an engineer, but that's a story for another day).  I scored, according to them, in the "nuclear" range on the POSS test.  Since then I haven't been able to find my way into the nuclear industry, but I recently got a call to take the MASS test (again for a job at Palo Verde) this coming week.  When looking at the practice exams on the EEI website, I noticed that they are all identical to the ones that are supplied for the POSS test.  My main question is whether or not it is typically necessary to take the MASS test if one has taken the POSS test successfully previously.

tselby

Re: Difference between MASS and POSS tests?
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:15 »
there are some differences in the test..... So yes there is a reason to take both of them depending on what you are applying for / interviewing for. in 2007 i took both the POSS and MASS on the same day for Exelon.

Keep your head up if you did well on the POSS i am sure you can do well on the MASS. Keep striving dont give up the industry is notoriously slow

GOOD LUCK

tndempsey

POSS/MASS TESTING, how long are the results good for???
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2010, 01:41 »
I took the poss/mass test for georgia power in 2007 and didn't get to move foward, although I passed both test. I need to know are those scores still good? How can I get another card(I lost mine) I tried to call the number(on southern co website to check results) and I do not remember the testing number. So I get no where. I do have obviously my ssn# and the testing date 5-30-07. Any help would be appreciated.

Pman52

Re: POSS/MASS TESTING, how long are the results good for???
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2010, 02:01 »
Try 00097.  That's the POSS/MASS test code for nuclear.  The documentation I have says the results are valid until the position requirements change or the test itself changes. 

JustinHEMI05

Re: Is the Poss/Mass really a good aptitude benchmark?
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2010, 04:22 »
I have to agree with BZ on this one. They have to start somewhere and these tests are just as good as any. In my experience, the POSS is a good weed out tool and predictor of future success.

MacGyver

Re: Is the Poss/Mass really a good aptitude benchmark?
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2010, 06:48 »

Although I have never taken this particular test, it seems very similar to the ASVAB and GATB type tests. I was just curious as to how valid folks thought this type of test was. Thanks for the insight.  

Very valid.  You don't believe they (i.e. the utilities) would waste their time giving it if it was not valid.  Right?

Be alert.  Skip things you can not answer immediately.  Do as much math in your head as possible.  Learn to bubble for speed.  That means dulling the pencil tip some and making three to four circles (non overlapping) and side-swipe the internal portion of the bubble if you missed a spot.  You do not have to bubble the entire bubble.  Just ensure that you get the inner-most portion graphited.  Come back to the ones you skipped after working through once.  And so on until you are done or time is up.

I will warn you that smart people fail this test.  If you perform poorly on one section you will fail.  You must do well on all sections.  The site has good advice on how to pass it so go look under the POSS/MASS child board.

Those test takers that did not follow my advice typically have this response after the test:

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011, 07:38 by MacGyver »

Cycoticpenguin

Re: POSS/MASS TESTING, how long are the results good for???
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:19 »
7 years. Depends on the company policy as well.

Offline steve.schuck

• Lurker
MASS POSS test results
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:50 »
I completed the MASS and POSS tests earlier this year and it only told me I reached standards of 100% of the powerplants that subscribe to the test. Is it possible to check my scores to see if i should retake it?

bulldog

Mass/Poss Test
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:39 »
Just wanted to thank everyone who gave insight about these test.  As I posted above I passed, but only had 2 days to study for it.  Without some of the helpful insight from everyone I don't think that would have happened.  My suggestions on each part.  First off I took the advice not to guess.  I did not answer a question unless I knew it.  Only once on the spatial diagrams I had it narrowed down to 2 pictures and then I guessed as the proctor called time.  I think this was a big part of me passing, because I only finished the reading comprehension.  All other parts I did not finish.

Math Section-  I really was doing well on this section to start then got to three questions and could not find the answer I went on but it did shake me a little.  In my hurry to try and answer other questions I forgot about the N answer.  There were three problems on my short math test that had N as the answer.  Do not forget about none being an answer.  All I could think about was what was I doing wrong.  I really thought because of that I would not pass that part, but apparently I did the minimum required.  Remember the answers as others have stated because the long section on the Poss is the same conversions, so the more you can remember the better chance you will have on the long section.  On the long section of math I did all the easy conversions then moved on to solve equations for x and did all the easy ones.  I then did the the four or five easy word problems then came back and tried to finish any question I could.  I by no means got it all done.  Not even close, but what I did must have been correct.  I went for speed naturally because you have to work fast, but I did not sacrifice accuracy.

Spatial drawings- All I can say is I did the easy ones at the start then just tried to find any one of the drawings I thought I could do.  There were some on there I could have spent all day on and not finished , but there are some easier ones that a person can do.  I was really worried about this part because I am not that good at spatial recognition, but apparently I was just good enough.

The other parts I thought were easy and just required you to stay clam and work.  Just don't just frustrated stay calm and do the best job you can and most likely you will do well on them.

deskaiser

Question about MASS test. Please help.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2011, 02:43 »
I'm taking the MASS test next week and have 7 days to study.  I just purchased the Power Plant Maintenence Selection Systems Secrets, a study gude published by Mometrix Media.

Question:  The study guide states that you must answer ALL the questions as they make no distinction between a wrong answer and one left blank.  People on forums and others say not to guess and leaving a few blank is better if you run out of time.  Can someone clear this up for me?  Any suggestions on studying beside the EEI site and the book I have?  I'm nervous as heck because I really want this job.   Suggestions appreciated.

Pman52

Re: Question about MASS test. Please help.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2011, 03:01 »
Don't focus on guessing or how many you left blank.  Channel your focus into working quickly and getting every single question you do know right.  They are simply looking for a specific number correct in each section.  People who are studying for the POSS/MASS always dwell on how many they should leave blank or whether to guess or not.  Then they panic and lose focus.  If I can give you any good advice, it would be to work on working the problems quickly.  Work as quickly as you can.  If you are spending too much time on one problem, skip it and continue.  To sum it up, do as many as you can as quickly as you can.  Good luck, and I'm sure you'll do fine.  Get enough sleep and eat a good breakfeast the morning of the test.

deskaiser

« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:37 »
Thanks Pman52.  It's the time contraints that worry me the most.  This is a very large power company and I'd love to get this test under my belt for future employment opportunities.  I tend to struggle on tests.  I passed the CWI exam which was timed also but I used every single minute they allowed. It was a real struggle.

bulldog

« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2011, 06:25 »
I just recently passed the mass/poss and I took the advice of the majority of people on this site and worked as fast as possible and made sure I knew the answer or I did not answer it.   Just remember on the math part there is a good possibility some will be N.  I pannicked a little and forgot this so I left 3 not answered because I could not find the correct answer.  As many others have stated work the test given on the site for the mass test and work them in the time given and you should be in good shape.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?