Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu MASS (Power Plant Maintenance Positions Selection System) Archive  

Author Topic: MASS (Power Plant Maintenance Positions Selection System) Archive  (Read 155123 times)

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
Re: POSS/MASS and TECH results retrieval
« Reply #100 on: Mar 02, 2013, 09:55 »
The HR guy is correct.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #101 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:24 »
Besides, if your knowledge is solid, these tests only get more comfortable to take. Often times some of the folks in the interview/hiring cycle happen to wander by and chat with test takers, so if your appearance, demeanor and conversation style exude professionalism, it may improve your chances of being selected. YMMV
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2013, 10:47 by HydroDave63 »

Offline mnorton1228

• Very Lite User
« Reply #102 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:27 »
Ah well alrighty then. I was mainly wondering for convenience sake. I didn't feel like the tests were overly complicated or anything of that nature. Was really just curious to see if there was a way I could omit having to take them again for different employers.

Offline hello

• Lurker
poss and mass
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2013, 09:29 »
I recently took the poss. test and the mass test from EEi at a college I attend at and I was curious to know if any body can explain to me the results ????????????????

the letter said we have compared your scores to the poss and mass cut off scores used by participating companies and have the following results

your score met or exceeded the cutoff used by 0%of participating companies what in gods name dose that mean ???? vary frustrating

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: poss and mass
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2013, 06:55 »
It sounds like 0% of the utilities that use the test would select you for an interview.

Study harder, practice more, take it again, because you did not score high enough to get past the initial screening purpose of the test.

GOod luck
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
Re: poss and mass
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2013, 04:23 »
Yep, while it may be dissapointing to see you don't meet any EEI utility criterion... study harder right now if you are looking to take it again.  Utilize the practice tests and time yourself.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Offline neil1212

• Lurker
poss/mass question
« Reply #106 on: Jun 05, 2013, 10:52 »
I have searched and haven't found a answer anywhere to my question. last week I took the POSS/MASS for a fossil plant. well when they gave us the info sheet for finding out if we passed, they had marked for POSS/MASS (fossil/hydro) and POSS/MASS (nuclear). I found out yesterday I passed the fossil combined, and failed the nuke op but passed the nuke maint. My question is will this affect me being eligible for the AO position at the fossil plant? Just trying to calm my nerves. thanks in advance.

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
Re: poss/mass question
« Reply #107 on: Jun 06, 2013, 05:20 »
I don't think there is a nuke maint. That would be the MASS, it's pass or fail. The only nuke level is the POSS. At least that is what it was like when I took it. I would think you'd be ok if you passed for fossil.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #108 on: Jun 06, 2013, 02:09 »
I don't think there is a nuke maint. That would be the MASS, it's pass or fail.

When I took the MASS test for a nuke plant the Test Administer explained it this way.
It is not a "pass or fail", each utility/plant has a set standard for the test. If you meet their standard you are "recommended" for employment. So, just because you are "recommended"  for one utility/plant does not mean that your score was high enough for another or vice versa.

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #109 on: Jun 06, 2013, 06:25 »
When I took the MASS test for a nuke plant the Test Administer explained it this way.
It is not a "pass or fail", each utility/plant has a set standard for the test. If you meet their standard you are "recommended" for employment. So, just because you are "recommended"  for one utility/plant does not mean that your score was high enough for another or vice versa.
Agreed. I took it last winter and the POSS was the only option to pass at nuke level. MASS was only pass or fail.

Offline neil1212

• Lurker
« Reply #110 on: Jun 06, 2013, 06:28 »
ddickey it said MASS and POSS for nuclear. they were separated like that for fossil as well. I just don't understand why the nuke was even involved since its for a coal burner? I just wanted to make sure I was still eligible for the job there since I passed for fossil.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #111 on: Jun 07, 2013, 08:14 »
Perhaps
If the MASS/POSS are taken for a utility with significant nuke and fossil, they have it for both.
If taken for a Nuke opening, only scored for nuke
If taken for a Fossil opening, scored for fossil
If they screen for nuke when testing for fossil, may get lucky and find a jewel...

Good luck, hope you get an interview
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline mac1911

• Lurker
Help with MASS prep!
« Reply #112 on: Jul 13, 2013, 05:34 »
Hey guy. I recently have been selected to take the mass test. I am already in the nuclear industry just taking a different career path. I have studied the EEI practice test and it just seems to good to be true. The actual test MUST be harder than that. If you have any pointers please weigh in!! Thanks!

Offline drcruz

• Lurker
Guessing on the POSS
« Reply #113 on: Aug 05, 2013, 12:10 »
(I tried to search for the answer)

I'm currently a LO being laid off from SONGS. The last time I took the POSS test was in 1991 (obviously passed) and I've also taken the MASS test (long story on why I took the MASS) about the mid '90s (I think I passed - can't remember). I'm now applying for a job for an instant lic. and if Edison lost my records for the POSS test I'm going to have to take it again and the 50% failure rate is making me nervous.

So, back when I took the POSS/MASS I took the tests as fast as I could making sure I answered correctly as many questions as possible (like everyone else), but I also budgeted enough time to blindly fill in the rest of the exam not knowing anything about the "guessing" controversy. As far as I can tell when I blindly guessed the last quarter of the test (when I was crunched for time) I still end up passing both exams.

Am I crazy, am I a lucky guesser or does guessing not really penalize you?

Thanks All...

Offline drcruz

• Lurker
Re: Guessing on the POSS
« Reply #114 on: Aug 05, 2013, 12:21 »
Also, which ASVAB book do you recommend? There's a bunch on amazon.

Thanks again

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

Offline 175mws

• Very Lite User
This is how it went down for me.

Your results is as follows:

POSS:  Recommended
MASS:  Not Recommended

How can I pass one and not the other? Its the same test taken at the same time. how is MASS scored vs.POSS  

I am a CRO for past 15 years in power and before power 6 years in a refinery my employer requires a POSS/MASS test to transfer from plant to plant.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2014, 11:49 by 175mws »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
This is how it went down for me.

Your results is as follows:

POSS:  Recommended
MASS:  Not Recommended

How can I pass one and not the other? Its the same test taken at the same time. how is MASS scored vs.POSS  

I am a CRO for past 15 years in power and before power 6 years in a refinery my employer requires a POSS/MASS test to transfer from plant to plant.

The POSS and MASS are graded under the same system (an "aptitude index" as they refer it to. I will not even begin to speculate on how they come to those numbers), and the tests are used congruently for the same purpose (according to EEI's words themselves " . The MASS and POSS batteries may be concurrently administered for this purpose, using specialized administration instructions").  Both are applied a 0-15 aptitude score, and if you fail one section, it fails you for the whole test.

This is pretty much the most public information I could find about these tests grading criteria honestly. So the way to look at it, is "whats different". The only section the MASS has that the POSS C does not, is the "easy math section" (the first math portion of the combined MASS/POSS is the MASS math section)(the POSS "B" does not have the higher level math section for those curious). Is it at all possible you failed that section? Leave some blanks/make some guesses?
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2014, 02:29 by Starkist »

Offline 175mws

• Very Lite User
This is what HR told me, FWIW

"The POSS consists of and is scored from Assembly, Mechanical Concepts, Tables and Graphs, Reading Comprehension and Mathematical Usage.
The MASS consists of and is scored from Assembly, Mechanical Concepts, Reading Comprehension and Mathematical usage."

She will not tell me what test I did poor on.. I think it was the Line tracing or Math since Tables and Graphs was not part of my test. It was the POSS B test that I took.

Not passing the test is the worst part of the whole thing,  In the power plant world that test means a lot.  I will take the test every chance I can tell I pass it.

Thanks for the reply Starkist.. Maybe broadzillia can shed some light on it
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2014, 04:22 by 175mws »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Unfortunately, its all speculation at this point. You should have some semblance of what you think you did poorly on honestly. Its a stressful test, especially the combined one being so long. From what I can gather, it appears they use the same scale to grade both the tests, but its hard to say with how secretive they keep those things.

A way around the time delay for the retesting is apply at another facility. Entergy is fantastic for transferring test scores.

Offline 175mws

• Very Lite User
I am 100% certain that I messed up on the math. I tried to get them all correct and I think I did but only completed 8 or 9 of the math questions. I will practice and gain more speed for the next time..  the only thing that is messing with my head now. what test is harder to pass MASS,POSS or POSS,MASS  :-[  I was thinking that the MASS was the easy part.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
I am 100% certain that I messed up on the math. I tried to get them all correct and I think I did but only completed 8 or 9 of the math questions. I will practice and gain more speed for the next time..  the only thing that is messing with my head now. what test is harder to pass MASS,POSS or POSS,MASS  :-[  I was thinking that the MASS was the easy part.

I've taken the POSS alone, MASS alone, POSS/MASS combo probably dozen times now (all passed, just time constraints with job searching led me to taking the tests instead of getting a score transfered)... the POSS is the "harder" of the two for sure. But mine have always been POSS C, not POSS B, so I'd wager the MASS/POSS B would be equal.

As far as the "math" part, my only advice is to not be afraid to skip questions. Wasting time on a triple conversion when the next question is a single conversion is a waste of time. Was your math section like 16 questions long or was it several pages?  The problem with these tests, its hard to practice make believe conversions...

Offline 175mws

• Very Lite User
It was the short math test. So passing the Math on the POSS should have been a PASS on the MASS, making me want to look at line tracing section a bit more. remember my test did not have Charts and Graphs section. I could not do more then 9 of those in the time limit.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
It was the short math test. So passing the Math on the POSS should have been a PASS on the MASS, making me want to look at line tracing section a bit more. remember my test did not have Charts and Graphs section. I could not do more then 9 of those in the time limit.

The line test is your graph section. Was it the frequency chart with hearing and stuff?

Offline 175mws

• Very Lite User
no it was line tracing kind of like print reading. Follow the line from a number to a letter

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?