Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Couple of A school questions

Author Topic: Couple of A school questions  (Read 52628 times)

cleonard19

Couple of A school questions
« on: Jun 22, 2007, 01:19 »
So A school is in charleston, I get that, but what I don't get and nobody has really explained well is the transition from boot to RTC. Do you get a day or two to go home or do you go straight there? ADDITIONALLY I live in Atlanta so at what point would I be able to bring my car and my desktop (are desktops even allowed or does it have to be a laptop?)  up to A school? would I be able to fly from O'hare to atlanta and then drive to Charleston or am I pretty much going straight from RTC to charleston without passing go and without collecting 200 Dollars?

While on the topic, whats the policy for having you POV? Are they allowed at A school or do I have to wait til NPS to have it? Desktops allowed or does it have to be a laptop? Or are computers even allowed at all? (My parents travel extensively and the only effective means of keeping in contact with my family is through the internet considering the astronomical rates of international calling these days.

Cell phones allowed? Or am I not deemed human enough yet to deserve such electronic devices until after A school?

Fermi2

Re: Couple of A school questions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2007, 06:37 »
Why not use the search function and find one of the many topics available that already provide most excellent answers to these questions?

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2007, 09:24 »
My understanding: you are allowed to have POV, but they probably won't give you time to get it on the way. If Dad brings it to you, that is fine. Otherwise wait for a long weekend (not that you need a very long one between Goose Creek and Hotlanta) and catch a ride up there (or Greyhound / flight) and return with the car.

In general, laptops are easier to keep up with. But desktops have been allowed in barracks for 20 years now, so I don't think it has changed. Just submit the request in advance.

Cell phones are frowned upon in uniform. Otherwise they are acceptable.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2007, 01:47 »
You will fly directly for Chicago to Charleston the navy will buy the tickets take you to and pick up from the airport all of this will be arranged in the last week of bootcamp.

Search other threads for info on the "badge system"

The rules for POV ownership change a lot so just wait until you get to SC then once you are allowed to leave the base on a week end try to get you car from GA

cleonard19

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2007, 04:07 »
thanks for the quick responses guys :)

Finalman

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2007, 06:24 »
You will fly directly for Chicago to Charleston the navy will buy the tickets take you to and pick up from the airport all of this will be arranged in the last week of bootcamp.

Search other threads for info on the "badge system"

The rules for POV ownership change a lot so just wait until you get to SC then once you are allowed to leave the base on a week end try to get you car from GA

On the POV rules, you will not be allowed to "Operate" your POV untill you get your phase 2 badge (you've been there for a month), I personally recommend you get your POV, (i lived in NC, so mine wasn't far away) so you can get away from that galley food quicker... don't eat the crab legs and the steaks are good with alot of pepper...

good luck with school. You may see me around

MM3 Evans

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:45 »
Why not use the search function and find one of the many topics available that already provide most excellent answers to these questions?

Mike
because as you should know, the navy is not the same as it was even 5 years ago.

A school life - This is a transitory period for you. You have a lot of restrictions, but a lot of liberties compared to boot camp. You can have a computer (you dont need to "request it"), you may operate a vehicle on phase two (you dont need to "request it", however you will at some point need to register it). You should hope to be there for 9-12 months, so I suggest getting a car/computer. Dont let it interfere with your studies though.

also - as it stands, galley food sucks, but its also free! I saved a lot of money using the galley, and wish they had something like that up here in New York.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2007, 01:18 »
On the POV rules, you will not be allowed to "Operate" your POV untill you get your phase 2 badge (you've been there for a month), I personally recommend you get your POV, (i lived in NC, so mine wasn't far away) so you can get away from that galley food quicker... don't eat the crab legs and the steaks are good with alot of pepper...

good luck with school. You may see me around

MM3 Evans

Have you had the food on a CVN yet.... They arn't kidding when they say thats the best galley in the navy.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2007, 07:17 »
Do you still have to cut your meat with the edge of the spoon? (Which was always sharper than the butter knives.)
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Finalman

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:11 »
Naw, the grade E steaks we have now are tender enough to use a butter knife... ooh, and we have this fancy ketchup dispenser now instead of individual bottles, but there's no proceedure or MRC card next to it so i don't know how to use it...

quick question, who stands throttleman on a boat(sub)? and a carrier(target)?

BuddyThePug

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:59 »
Naw, the grade E steaks we have now are tender enough to use a butter knife... ooh, and we have this fancy ketchup dispenser now instead of individual bottles, but there's no proceedure or MRC card next to it so i don't know how to use it...

I think you MAY earn the privilege of using the term 'target' when you have actually been below sea level and stood some watches.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2007, 07:23 »
Normal steaming or during General Quarters?
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2007, 01:50 »

for the most part EMs

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2007, 07:43 »
I think you MAY earn the privilege of using the term 'target' when you have actually been below sea level and stood some watches.

thats IF he even gets to go sub warfare.

Finalman

« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2007, 09:55 »

I'll be sure to tell my old RDC's to properly train their recruits in the usage...

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2007, 12:37 »
I'll be sure to tell my old RDC's to properly train their recruits in the usage...

Just a piece of advice... being new (AKA a nub) and not knowing anything about... anything... you want to be careful about who you run your mouth at around here.

Remember, its just friendly advice.

Goodluck.

Justin

Finalman

« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2007, 11:20 »
So A school is in charleston, I get that, but what I don't get and nobody has really explained well is the transition from boot to RTC. Do you get a day or two to go home or do you go straight there? ADDITIONALLY I live in Atlanta so at what point would I be able to bring my car and my desktop (are desktops even allowed or does it have to be a laptop?)  up to A school? would I be able to fly from O'hare to atlanta and then drive to Charleston or am I pretty much going straight from RTC to charleston without passing go and without collecting 200 Dollars?

While on the topic, whats the policy for having you POV? Are they allowed at A school or do I have to wait til NPS to have it? Desktops allowed or does it have to be a laptop? Or are computers even allowed at all? (My parents travel extensively and the only effective means of keeping in contact with my family is through the internet considering the astronomical rates of international calling these days.

Cell phones allowed? Or am I not deemed human enough yet to deserve such electronic devices until after A school?
If your parents are nice enough to do this they can stay later than they need to and meet you at the airport before your flight out and give you a-buncha' stuff, cell-phone, clothes etc... and you can check it in as regular luggage or as carry-on, that's what some grads have done and it's allowed, just don't miss your flight!

shayne

« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2007, 11:26 »
I was on a cruiser and Throttleman is usually EM or ETs.  The sub prototypes it was the same...

Offline deltarho

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2007, 07:55 »
I was on a cruiser and Throttleman is usually EM or ETs.  The sub prototypes it was the same...

Yes, but what about GQ--Were they MMs for yours as they were mine?  The thought process was that the Eoow and Senior Eoow would have one warm body of each flavor in the EOS.   The Bridge used Nukes for phone talkers, too.  We was good a "tobacco auctioneering."

Sejik

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2007, 06:10 »

The way the transition works depends on when you graduate. Even though you've graduated boot camp, you're still attached to that training command, under it's rules. You're stuck there, and go straight there to Charleston. The way it worked for me specifically was I graduated, had a weekend to relax and go out in town, then flew to Charleston.

Once you arrive in Charleston you call the quarterdeck, and they'll send a driver there to pick you up and take you to the barracks. At that point you'll check in, get your temporary badge, temporary meal pass, and room key. Once you're there, you're good to go. There's only a few rules you'll have to follow as you move along in phases.

Phase 1: Not allowed to drink. Curfew. Not allowed to drive. Have to wear a uniform off base.
Phase 2: Can drink if of age. Curfew, though you can get a special request chit to ignore it, allowed to have a POV, and can wear civilian clothes during nonworking hours.
Phase 3: No curfew, and can wear civilian clothes pretty much whenever except while in the school building.

Those are pretty much the only restrictions. Yes, at this point you can go that day you want, and buy a cell phone, a computer, whatever. Chances are your car is kind of far away, so you'll have to talk to your staff adviser to see what he wants you to do to get it. Chances are you'll just put in a travel chit, and leave during a 3 day weekend or something. For up to date rules, you'll pretty much get all that when you arrive to check into Charleston.

((My information is just a couple months old, but people are stupid and things change. Like how you can't wear civilian clothes in the school building at all now unless you're E-4. I was one of the last classes that got to wear civilian clothes near the end before they changed that rule.))

My understanding: you are allowed to have POV, but they probably won't give you time to get it on the way. If Dad brings it to you, that is fine. Otherwise wait for a long weekend (not that you need a very long one between Goose Creek and Hotlanta) and catch a ride up there (or Greyhound / flight) and return with the car.

In general, laptops are easier to keep up with. But desktops have been allowed in barracks for 20 years now, so I don't think it has changed. Just submit the request in advance.

Cell phones are frowned upon in uniform. Otherwise they are acceptable.

You can have a POV whenever you get there. You just won't be able to really drive it til Phase 2, and as long as it doesn't affect your school schedule, you can pretty much get it whenever you have the time. Just need a travel chit.

You don't need any request to have anything in your barracks. I had a desktop myself. And a TV. And a PS3, other things. Just depending on what you have, make sure you either lock it up or trust your roommates. Some of the barracks got some really nice new furniture that makes this easy.

You can have cell phones in uniform. You just can't talk and walk with them at the same time. Acceptable to stand there and talk, even if in uniform. Oh, and on that note. Don't walk in the grass in uniform.

For those people who said that galley food is free, I would like to point out that it actually isn't. Sort of. If you actually pay attention to it and do the math, the Navy pays you to eat at the galley, and then charges you even if you don't eat there or not. It got really complicated trying to figure out how that works. Basically though, it's not something you should worry about. And the food is pretty decent sometimes.

If you plan on going to prototype in Charleston however, avoid Subway at all costs. You'll get so sick of that place after a year and a half of eating there.

EMs and ETs qualify/stand watches as TH. For the most part? TH is pretty much just EMs, and hardly any ETs are proficient.

If you aren't any good as a phone talker, and are an EM, your life is going to be just that much harder.

Finalman

« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2007, 08:19 »
Phase 1: Not allowed to drink. Curfew. Not allowed to drive. Have to wear a uniform off base.
Phase 2: Can drink if of age. Curfew, though you can get a special request chit to ignore it, allowed to have a POV, and can wear civilian clothes during nonworking hours.
Phase 3: No curfew, and can wear civilian clothes pretty much whenever except while in the school building.

Those are pretty much the only restrictions. Yes, at this point you can go that day you want, and buy a cell phone, a computer, whatever. Chances are your car is kind of far away, so you'll have to talk to your staff adviser to see what he wants you to do to get it. Chances are you'll just put in a travel chit, and leave during a 3 day weekend or something. For up to date rules, you'll pretty much get all that when you arrive to check into Charleston.

((My information is just a couple months old, but people are stupid and things change. Like how you can't wear civilian clothes in the school building at all now unless you're E-4. I was one of the last classes that got to wear civilian clothes near the end before they changed that rule.))

You can have a POV whenever you get there. You just won't be able to really drive it til Phase 2, and as long as it doesn't affect your school schedule, you can pretty much get it whenever you have the time. Just need a travel chit.

You don't need any request to have anything in your barracks. I had a desktop myself. And a TV. And a PS3, other things. Just depending on what you have, make sure you either lock it up or trust your roommates. Some of the barracks got some really nice new furniture that makes this easy.

You can have cell phones in uniform. You just can't talk and walk with them at the same time. Acceptable to stand there and talk, even if in uniform. Oh, and on that note. Don't walk in the grass in uniform.

For those people who said that galley food is free, I would like to point out that it actually isn't. Sort of. If you actually pay attention to it and do the math, the Navy pays you to eat at the galley, and then charges you even if you don't eat there or not. It got really complicated trying to figure out how that works. Basically though, it's not something you should worry about. And the food is pretty decent sometimes.
Phase three has a curfew but just on the days proceeding an academic day (at 0015), now on the walking on the grass thing, DO NOT walk on the grass in uniform, and if your in civies then try not to if there's a MAA around... he may try to rip you a new one...

Yes the NAVY does give you a BAS and does charge you for eating at the galley, but the galley calculates it up and charges you for it, I recently started eating breakfast and some dinners in my room instead of at the galley and I was charged 173 for galley use instead of the usual 250 or so... so fat paycheck for me!

Sejik

« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2007, 09:45 »
Phase three has a curfew but just on the days proceeding an academic day (at 0015), now on the walking on the grass thing, DO NOT walk on the grass in uniform, and if your in civies then try not to if there's a MAA around... he may try to rip you a new one...

Yes the NAVY does give you a BAS and does charge you for eating at the galley, but the galley calculates it up and charges you for it, I recently started eating breakfast and some dinners in my room instead of at the galley and I was charged 173 for galley use instead of the usual 250 or so... so fat paycheck for me!

Yea... it got kind of weird like that. With the whole galley/charging/money crap.

As for the curfew, eh, well... at least they don't do room checks. And if you screw up and don't get enough sleep whatever, or don't get to school on time, it's your ass that gets handed to you. I just never really remember worrying about them.

shayne

« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2007, 06:38 »
Yes, but what about GQ--Were they MMs for yours as they were mine?  The thought process was that the Eoow and Senior Eoow would have one warm body of each flavor in the EOS.   The Bridge used Nukes for phone talkers, too.  We was good a "tobacco auctioneering."

EM and ET also...  I seem to remember the emergency location was by a MM, usually Main Engine Watch, until AE or other TH qual person could get there..

Nearly all of our phone talkers on the ship were performed by nukes for most evolutions/emergencies.

cleonard19

« Reply #23 on: Oct 03, 2007, 03:27 »
My parents bought me Season tickets to all of Clemson's Home games next season (technically they bought the entire season off an alumn with season tickets, but you get the point) so I can get a chance to see the family every once in a while. Will I actually have a chance to use these tickets, or are they going to end up being wasted? Like, will I be permitted to travel to anderson (about two hours from Charleston), and how often will I have navy commitments on a saturday that would prevent me from going.

Leaving nov. 6th puts me out of boot camp approx. the first week of january. So next season would either be in the middle of NPS or right at the end of NPS and the beginning of Prototype if I end up getting MM, just as a frame of reference for people who are kind enough to answer ym question. Thanks!

Samabby

« Reply #24 on: Oct 03, 2007, 09:18 »
During the next 6 years you will miss much more then football games. Weddings, birthdays, funeral, etc, all will come and go without your presence.

Don't bet the farm on attending any of the games, but just hope for the best. Good luck and thanks for serving.  8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?