Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Couple of A school questions

Author Topic: Couple of A school questions  (Read 52627 times)

cleonard19

Couple of A school questions
« on: Jun 22, 2007, 01:19 »
So A school is in charleston, I get that, but what I don't get and nobody has really explained well is the transition from boot to RTC. Do you get a day or two to go home or do you go straight there? ADDITIONALLY I live in Atlanta so at what point would I be able to bring my car and my desktop (are desktops even allowed or does it have to be a laptop?)  up to A school? would I be able to fly from O'hare to atlanta and then drive to Charleston or am I pretty much going straight from RTC to charleston without passing go and without collecting 200 Dollars?

While on the topic, whats the policy for having you POV? Are they allowed at A school or do I have to wait til NPS to have it? Desktops allowed or does it have to be a laptop? Or are computers even allowed at all? (My parents travel extensively and the only effective means of keeping in contact with my family is through the internet considering the astronomical rates of international calling these days.

Cell phones allowed? Or am I not deemed human enough yet to deserve such electronic devices until after A school?

Fermi2

Re: Couple of A school questions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2007, 06:37 »
Why not use the search function and find one of the many topics available that already provide most excellent answers to these questions?

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2007, 09:24 »
My understanding: you are allowed to have POV, but they probably won't give you time to get it on the way. If Dad brings it to you, that is fine. Otherwise wait for a long weekend (not that you need a very long one between Goose Creek and Hotlanta) and catch a ride up there (or Greyhound / flight) and return with the car.

In general, laptops are easier to keep up with. But desktops have been allowed in barracks for 20 years now, so I don't think it has changed. Just submit the request in advance.

Cell phones are frowned upon in uniform. Otherwise they are acceptable.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2007, 01:47 »
You will fly directly for Chicago to Charleston the navy will buy the tickets take you to and pick up from the airport all of this will be arranged in the last week of bootcamp.

Search other threads for info on the "badge system"

The rules for POV ownership change a lot so just wait until you get to SC then once you are allowed to leave the base on a week end try to get you car from GA

cleonard19

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2007, 04:07 »
thanks for the quick responses guys :)

Finalman

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2007, 06:24 »
You will fly directly for Chicago to Charleston the navy will buy the tickets take you to and pick up from the airport all of this will be arranged in the last week of bootcamp.

Search other threads for info on the "badge system"

The rules for POV ownership change a lot so just wait until you get to SC then once you are allowed to leave the base on a week end try to get you car from GA

On the POV rules, you will not be allowed to "Operate" your POV untill you get your phase 2 badge (you've been there for a month), I personally recommend you get your POV, (i lived in NC, so mine wasn't far away) so you can get away from that galley food quicker... don't eat the crab legs and the steaks are good with alot of pepper...

good luck with school. You may see me around

MM3 Evans

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:45 »
Why not use the search function and find one of the many topics available that already provide most excellent answers to these questions?

Mike
because as you should know, the navy is not the same as it was even 5 years ago.

A school life - This is a transitory period for you. You have a lot of restrictions, but a lot of liberties compared to boot camp. You can have a computer (you dont need to "request it"), you may operate a vehicle on phase two (you dont need to "request it", however you will at some point need to register it). You should hope to be there for 9-12 months, so I suggest getting a car/computer. Dont let it interfere with your studies though.

also - as it stands, galley food sucks, but its also free! I saved a lot of money using the galley, and wish they had something like that up here in New York.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2007, 01:18 »
On the POV rules, you will not be allowed to "Operate" your POV untill you get your phase 2 badge (you've been there for a month), I personally recommend you get your POV, (i lived in NC, so mine wasn't far away) so you can get away from that galley food quicker... don't eat the crab legs and the steaks are good with alot of pepper...

good luck with school. You may see me around

MM3 Evans

Have you had the food on a CVN yet.... They arn't kidding when they say thats the best galley in the navy.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2007, 07:17 »
Do you still have to cut your meat with the edge of the spoon? (Which was always sharper than the butter knives.)
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Finalman

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:11 »
Naw, the grade E steaks we have now are tender enough to use a butter knife... ooh, and we have this fancy ketchup dispenser now instead of individual bottles, but there's no proceedure or MRC card next to it so i don't know how to use it...

quick question, who stands throttleman on a boat(sub)? and a carrier(target)?

BuddyThePug

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:59 »
Naw, the grade E steaks we have now are tender enough to use a butter knife... ooh, and we have this fancy ketchup dispenser now instead of individual bottles, but there's no proceedure or MRC card next to it so i don't know how to use it...

I think you MAY earn the privilege of using the term 'target' when you have actually been below sea level and stood some watches.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2007, 07:23 »
Normal steaming or during General Quarters?
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2007, 01:50 »

for the most part EMs

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2007, 07:43 »
I think you MAY earn the privilege of using the term 'target' when you have actually been below sea level and stood some watches.

thats IF he even gets to go sub warfare.

Finalman

« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2007, 09:55 »

I'll be sure to tell my old RDC's to properly train their recruits in the usage...

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2007, 12:37 »
I'll be sure to tell my old RDC's to properly train their recruits in the usage...

Just a piece of advice... being new (AKA a nub) and not knowing anything about... anything... you want to be careful about who you run your mouth at around here.

Remember, its just friendly advice.

Goodluck.

Justin

Finalman

« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2007, 11:20 »
So A school is in charleston, I get that, but what I don't get and nobody has really explained well is the transition from boot to RTC. Do you get a day or two to go home or do you go straight there? ADDITIONALLY I live in Atlanta so at what point would I be able to bring my car and my desktop (are desktops even allowed or does it have to be a laptop?)  up to A school? would I be able to fly from O'hare to atlanta and then drive to Charleston or am I pretty much going straight from RTC to charleston without passing go and without collecting 200 Dollars?

While on the topic, whats the policy for having you POV? Are they allowed at A school or do I have to wait til NPS to have it? Desktops allowed or does it have to be a laptop? Or are computers even allowed at all? (My parents travel extensively and the only effective means of keeping in contact with my family is through the internet considering the astronomical rates of international calling these days.

Cell phones allowed? Or am I not deemed human enough yet to deserve such electronic devices until after A school?
If your parents are nice enough to do this they can stay later than they need to and meet you at the airport before your flight out and give you a-buncha' stuff, cell-phone, clothes etc... and you can check it in as regular luggage or as carry-on, that's what some grads have done and it's allowed, just don't miss your flight!

shayne

« Reply #17 on: Sep 23, 2007, 11:26 »
I was on a cruiser and Throttleman is usually EM or ETs.  The sub prototypes it was the same...

Offline deltarho

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2007, 07:55 »
I was on a cruiser and Throttleman is usually EM or ETs.  The sub prototypes it was the same...

Yes, but what about GQ--Were they MMs for yours as they were mine?  The thought process was that the Eoow and Senior Eoow would have one warm body of each flavor in the EOS.   The Bridge used Nukes for phone talkers, too.  We was good a "tobacco auctioneering."

Sejik

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2007, 06:10 »

The way the transition works depends on when you graduate. Even though you've graduated boot camp, you're still attached to that training command, under it's rules. You're stuck there, and go straight there to Charleston. The way it worked for me specifically was I graduated, had a weekend to relax and go out in town, then flew to Charleston.

Once you arrive in Charleston you call the quarterdeck, and they'll send a driver there to pick you up and take you to the barracks. At that point you'll check in, get your temporary badge, temporary meal pass, and room key. Once you're there, you're good to go. There's only a few rules you'll have to follow as you move along in phases.

Phase 1: Not allowed to drink. Curfew. Not allowed to drive. Have to wear a uniform off base.
Phase 2: Can drink if of age. Curfew, though you can get a special request chit to ignore it, allowed to have a POV, and can wear civilian clothes during nonworking hours.
Phase 3: No curfew, and can wear civilian clothes pretty much whenever except while in the school building.

Those are pretty much the only restrictions. Yes, at this point you can go that day you want, and buy a cell phone, a computer, whatever. Chances are your car is kind of far away, so you'll have to talk to your staff adviser to see what he wants you to do to get it. Chances are you'll just put in a travel chit, and leave during a 3 day weekend or something. For up to date rules, you'll pretty much get all that when you arrive to check into Charleston.

((My information is just a couple months old, but people are stupid and things change. Like how you can't wear civilian clothes in the school building at all now unless you're E-4. I was one of the last classes that got to wear civilian clothes near the end before they changed that rule.))

My understanding: you are allowed to have POV, but they probably won't give you time to get it on the way. If Dad brings it to you, that is fine. Otherwise wait for a long weekend (not that you need a very long one between Goose Creek and Hotlanta) and catch a ride up there (or Greyhound / flight) and return with the car.

In general, laptops are easier to keep up with. But desktops have been allowed in barracks for 20 years now, so I don't think it has changed. Just submit the request in advance.

Cell phones are frowned upon in uniform. Otherwise they are acceptable.

You can have a POV whenever you get there. You just won't be able to really drive it til Phase 2, and as long as it doesn't affect your school schedule, you can pretty much get it whenever you have the time. Just need a travel chit.

You don't need any request to have anything in your barracks. I had a desktop myself. And a TV. And a PS3, other things. Just depending on what you have, make sure you either lock it up or trust your roommates. Some of the barracks got some really nice new furniture that makes this easy.

You can have cell phones in uniform. You just can't talk and walk with them at the same time. Acceptable to stand there and talk, even if in uniform. Oh, and on that note. Don't walk in the grass in uniform.

For those people who said that galley food is free, I would like to point out that it actually isn't. Sort of. If you actually pay attention to it and do the math, the Navy pays you to eat at the galley, and then charges you even if you don't eat there or not. It got really complicated trying to figure out how that works. Basically though, it's not something you should worry about. And the food is pretty decent sometimes.

If you plan on going to prototype in Charleston however, avoid Subway at all costs. You'll get so sick of that place after a year and a half of eating there.

EMs and ETs qualify/stand watches as TH. For the most part? TH is pretty much just EMs, and hardly any ETs are proficient.

If you aren't any good as a phone talker, and are an EM, your life is going to be just that much harder.

Finalman

« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2007, 08:19 »
Phase 1: Not allowed to drink. Curfew. Not allowed to drive. Have to wear a uniform off base.
Phase 2: Can drink if of age. Curfew, though you can get a special request chit to ignore it, allowed to have a POV, and can wear civilian clothes during nonworking hours.
Phase 3: No curfew, and can wear civilian clothes pretty much whenever except while in the school building.

Those are pretty much the only restrictions. Yes, at this point you can go that day you want, and buy a cell phone, a computer, whatever. Chances are your car is kind of far away, so you'll have to talk to your staff adviser to see what he wants you to do to get it. Chances are you'll just put in a travel chit, and leave during a 3 day weekend or something. For up to date rules, you'll pretty much get all that when you arrive to check into Charleston.

((My information is just a couple months old, but people are stupid and things change. Like how you can't wear civilian clothes in the school building at all now unless you're E-4. I was one of the last classes that got to wear civilian clothes near the end before they changed that rule.))

You can have a POV whenever you get there. You just won't be able to really drive it til Phase 2, and as long as it doesn't affect your school schedule, you can pretty much get it whenever you have the time. Just need a travel chit.

You don't need any request to have anything in your barracks. I had a desktop myself. And a TV. And a PS3, other things. Just depending on what you have, make sure you either lock it up or trust your roommates. Some of the barracks got some really nice new furniture that makes this easy.

You can have cell phones in uniform. You just can't talk and walk with them at the same time. Acceptable to stand there and talk, even if in uniform. Oh, and on that note. Don't walk in the grass in uniform.

For those people who said that galley food is free, I would like to point out that it actually isn't. Sort of. If you actually pay attention to it and do the math, the Navy pays you to eat at the galley, and then charges you even if you don't eat there or not. It got really complicated trying to figure out how that works. Basically though, it's not something you should worry about. And the food is pretty decent sometimes.
Phase three has a curfew but just on the days proceeding an academic day (at 0015), now on the walking on the grass thing, DO NOT walk on the grass in uniform, and if your in civies then try not to if there's a MAA around... he may try to rip you a new one...

Yes the NAVY does give you a BAS and does charge you for eating at the galley, but the galley calculates it up and charges you for it, I recently started eating breakfast and some dinners in my room instead of at the galley and I was charged 173 for galley use instead of the usual 250 or so... so fat paycheck for me!

Sejik

« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2007, 09:45 »
Phase three has a curfew but just on the days proceeding an academic day (at 0015), now on the walking on the grass thing, DO NOT walk on the grass in uniform, and if your in civies then try not to if there's a MAA around... he may try to rip you a new one...

Yes the NAVY does give you a BAS and does charge you for eating at the galley, but the galley calculates it up and charges you for it, I recently started eating breakfast and some dinners in my room instead of at the galley and I was charged 173 for galley use instead of the usual 250 or so... so fat paycheck for me!

Yea... it got kind of weird like that. With the whole galley/charging/money crap.

As for the curfew, eh, well... at least they don't do room checks. And if you screw up and don't get enough sleep whatever, or don't get to school on time, it's your ass that gets handed to you. I just never really remember worrying about them.

shayne

« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2007, 06:38 »
Yes, but what about GQ--Were they MMs for yours as they were mine?  The thought process was that the Eoow and Senior Eoow would have one warm body of each flavor in the EOS.   The Bridge used Nukes for phone talkers, too.  We was good a "tobacco auctioneering."

EM and ET also...  I seem to remember the emergency location was by a MM, usually Main Engine Watch, until AE or other TH qual person could get there..

Nearly all of our phone talkers on the ship were performed by nukes for most evolutions/emergencies.

cleonard19

« Reply #23 on: Oct 03, 2007, 03:27 »
My parents bought me Season tickets to all of Clemson's Home games next season (technically they bought the entire season off an alumn with season tickets, but you get the point) so I can get a chance to see the family every once in a while. Will I actually have a chance to use these tickets, or are they going to end up being wasted? Like, will I be permitted to travel to anderson (about two hours from Charleston), and how often will I have navy commitments on a saturday that would prevent me from going.

Leaving nov. 6th puts me out of boot camp approx. the first week of january. So next season would either be in the middle of NPS or right at the end of NPS and the beginning of Prototype if I end up getting MM, just as a frame of reference for people who are kind enough to answer ym question. Thanks!

Samabby

« Reply #24 on: Oct 03, 2007, 09:18 »
During the next 6 years you will miss much more then football games. Weddings, birthdays, funeral, etc, all will come and go without your presence.

Don't bet the farm on attending any of the games, but just hope for the best. Good luck and thanks for serving.  8)

cleonard19

« Reply #25 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:20 »
Doesn't mean I cant try to make it if i have the day free though. My question was more along the lines of a) will I be permitted to go to the games if my schedule allows for it, and B) If i am, what would the process be for being allowed to go that far from base?

landlubber

« Reply #26 on: Oct 03, 2007, 07:34 »
Doesn't mean I cant try to make it if i have the day free though. My question was more along the lines of a) will I be permitted to go to the games if my schedule allows for it, and B) If i am, what would the process be for being allowed to go that far from base?
I will cover the prototype time frame.

In general, students at prototype are never given time off from their normal work duties. For the 9th through ~24th week of said duties, you will be working shiftwork 12 hours per day. That means some of those duties will fall from 2000-0800 and often on weekends. If you want to go see a game when you are on liberty, you will have probably have to route a chit (official chain-of-command request form). NaVLI4 can probably quote the MTS command policy to you. Don't forget, you might go to Ballston Spa! (Long way to Clemson.)

However, all things are negotiable. I have seen some students given some amazingly good deals IF they were hot runners and ahead of their required progress curve. A really good reason helps. Season tickets to Clemson games might not fly so well.

Best of luck to you. :)

Fermi2

« Reply #27 on: Oct 03, 2007, 11:07 »
When I was in the Navy I believe you had to put an Out Of Bounds chit in for anything over 400 miles.

Mike

mlslstephens

« Reply #28 on: Oct 04, 2007, 08:57 »

In general, students at prototype are never given time off from their normal work duties. For the 9th through ~24th week of said duties, you will be working shiftwork 12 hours per day. That means some of those duties will fall from 2000-0800 and often on weekends. If you want to go see a game when you are on liberty, you will have probably have to route a chit (official chain-of-command request form). NaVLI4 can probably quote the MTS command policy to you. Don't forget, you might go to Ballston Spa! (Long way to Clemson.)

Just so happens I can.  Here in GC, SC, our policy for liberty is anything exceeding 200 miles requires a request chit and formal travel plan.  Columbia is only 100 miles so as long as you aren't on shift, then you would be able to go to the games.  That being said, with where you are in the pipeline, once you get to NPTU, look ahead at the shift schedules and see which ones line up better for home games.  All it takes is to request a particular shift and we would accomodate.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007, 09:49 by NaVLI4 »

cleonard19

« Reply #29 on: Oct 05, 2007, 11:44 »
^^

Good deal. I wasn't expecting to make it to most of them, but one or two a year to get to see the family again would be enough for me. Oh and Clemson is in Anderson, that "other school" that we don't dare utter the name of (unless we're trashing on it) is in Columbia. So Clemson is definitely farther than 100 miles.

Fermi2

« Reply #30 on: Oct 06, 2007, 07:25 »
Just so happens I can.  Here in GC, SC, our policy for liberty is anything exceeding 200 miles requires a request chit and formal travel plan.  Columbia is only 100 miles so as long as you aren't on shift, then you would be able to go to the games.  That being said, with where you are in the pipeline, once you get to NPTU, look ahead at the shift schedules and see which ones line up better for home games.  All it takes is to request a particular shift and we would accomodate.

Yes it was 200 miles!!! Hey can you send me that website again? I lost the link!

Mike

mlslstephens

« Reply #31 on: Oct 06, 2007, 08:07 »
^^

Good deal. I wasn't expecting to make it to most of them, but one or two a year to get to see the family again would be enough for me. Oh and Clemson is in Anderson, that "other school" that we don't dare utter the name of (unless we're trashing on it) is in Columbia. So Clemson is definitely farther than 100 miles.
What was I thinking?  Clemson is right on the 200 mile buffer so depending on your LCC, he may or may not require a chit.  If he does require one, however, it's just paper and as long as you are keeping up with the curve, it will be approved.

mlslstephens

« Reply #32 on: Oct 06, 2007, 08:08 »

Yes it was 200 miles!!! Hey can you send me that website again? I lost the link!

Mike

Mike, which website are you referring to?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #33 on: Oct 23, 2007, 11:15 »
In general, students at prototype are never given time off from their normal work duties. For the 9th through ~24th week of said duti

Im heading to week 32... grr.

That said, prototype is much different from powerschool. time off is actually time off. What these guys arent telling you, every 5 weeks you get 4 days off in a row, on the fifth day (if you have reduced hours), you can come in at 3pm.

You will have plenty of time to do things in prototype. Just make sure you dont lose focus on things.

Offline deltarho

• Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: Oct 24, 2007, 08:18 »
When I was at prototype, the travel limit was > 400 miles (one day's travel).  It was always best to be flying, with reservations to include with the request chit.  The chits were always approved and was a KYA manuever, in case you were UA by events outside your control.  That way, they could at least justify your being outside the limits.

Sejik

« Reply #35 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:28 »

However, all things are negotiable. I have seen some students given some amazingly good deals IF they were hot runners and ahead of their required progress curve. A really good reason helps. Season tickets to Clemson games might not fly so well.

Best of luck to you. :)

Things have slightly gotten better now. At least while on crew.

There are two curves now to be ahead of. The standard 6% ahead, where you get 3-4 days of reduced hours off. And now the 10% ahead where you get 5 out of 7 days reduced hours off. So you basically only put in staff hours plus throw in 6 extra whenever and you're good. It's really not that hard to put in that many hours, even accidentally and just basically have to come in a hour or so early before quarters.

As for reasons, depends on who your LPO/Staff Adviser are first. You should go to them to see what they advise you of. That and if you have a good TC, you can pull off some good things, as long as you're ahead of the curve and showing strong progress.

I've even seen a guy get a day off for, let's just say, unofficial reasons.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #36 on: Nov 02, 2007, 12:46 »
Things have slightly gotten better now. At least while on crew.

There are two curves now to be ahead of. The standard 6% ahead, where you get 3-4 days of reduced hours off. And now the 10% ahead where you get 5 out of 7 days reduced hours off. So you basically only put in staff hours plus throw in 6 extra whenever and you're good. It's really not that hard to put in that many hours, even accidentally and just basically have to come in a hour or so early before quarters.

As for reasons, depends on who your LPO/Staff Adviser are first. You should go to them to see what they advise you of. That and if you have a good TC, you can pull off some good things, as long as you're ahead of the curve and showing strong progress.

I've even seen a guy get a day off for, let's just say, unofficial reasons.

what prototype are you at???

cleonard19

Bicycle at A School?
« Reply #37 on: Nov 09, 2007, 09:24 »
Am I allowed to have a bicycle (road bike) at A school? I've always enjoyed biking and its a heck of a work out without subjecting my knees to further damage, so I was wondering if i'd be allowed to have it on base, and where it would have to be stored if it was allowed.

Finalman

Re: Bicycle at A School?
« Reply #38 on: Nov 09, 2007, 11:03 »
Kind of a random question, but yes you are, at the barraks there are concrete pads that have area's to chain your bike to, you must however register it with the BEQ quarterdeck before it can have constant use on site, but that's not hard to get.

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #39 on: Nov 10, 2007, 07:15 »
Better to take a fixie or an old beater bike that can take the weather.  I don't know if "A" school has changed since I did it (wooden ships).  There was no room inside the barracks to store a good road bike.  I rode a beat up Ross to keep the miles in until I got to Nuke School and had some storage underneath the stairs. Better to get there and see exactly what the Command will allow, then get the appropriate bike.
Is it time for coffee yet?

cleonard19

« Reply #40 on: Nov 10, 2007, 02:22 »
Better to take a fixie or an old beater bike that can take the weather.  I don't know if "A" school has changed since I did it (wooden ships).  There was no room inside the barracks to store a good road bike.  I rode a beat up Ross to keep the miles in until I got to Nuke School and had some storage underneath the stairs. Better to get there and see exactly what the Command will allow, then get the appropriate bike.

that was my general train of thought. I just wanted to make sure before I left. The random question came from me getting ready to leave. I'm going out of town for a last family reunion on thursday and won't return till the day before my shipdate and I'm in the process of weeding things out and pre-boxing things for my parents to send me when the time is appropriate, so that they don't have to worry about it and I don't have to worry about them missing something. Items such as cell phone, computer, my favorite articles of clothing, legal paperwork etc. Boxed it all up in a couple small boxes and put appropriate postage on it. All they gotta do is write the mailing address and put it in the mail. But more importantly, I have a brand new schwinn fastback cx roadbike that I was going to just sell if there wasn't going to be room for it on base as a student.

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #41 on: Nov 10, 2007, 04:30 »
I would not sell it.  If you are like me, a road bike that I like and fits the way I like is hard to find.  I have only just bought a new roadie after 17 years on the last one.  Get to your command and then decide.  Depending on where you go, biking might not be pleasant, especially in the winter months.  By the time spring rolls around, you will be ready to ride and can scope out some storage.  Maybe someone will get an off base apartment that will let you store it there.  I just would not show up with it and have to chain it outside.  It won't last long that way.

Good luck, smooth seas

Is it time for coffee yet?

cleonard19

« Reply #42 on: Nov 10, 2007, 10:34 »
I would not sell it.  If you are like me, a road bike that I like and fits the way I like is hard to find.  I have only just bought a new roadie after 17 years on the last one.  Get to your command and then decide.  Depending on where you go, biking might not be pleasant, especially in the winter months.  By the time spring rolls around, you will be ready to ride and can scope out some storage.  Maybe someone will get an off base apartment that will let you store it there.  I just would not show up with it and have to chain it outside.  It won't last long that way.

Good luck, smooth seas

Thanks, and no, I don't imagine that a $1000 dollar bike will last very long chained outside, no matter where is chained (military base in this case)

Finalman

« Reply #43 on: Nov 11, 2007, 02:21 »
There is a guy here with a pretty expensive bike ( i suppose it is) that he keeps covered and rides often, even now with it being freezing cold... There are apparently several wood courses somewhere in the woods around here, i have no bike so thus I have no idea how well they are made or anything.

As for the ships they are now built like hotels, in a crossed shape, 3 stories, with small suites for the students, A-schoolers have two-two person rooms with a common head, and then through T-track and power school you have two-one person rooms with a common head.

andrew.pigg

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 07:19 »
Bringing this thread to the top--

Ok--Here my situation--Im rolling in in less than 30 days now as opposed to 6 months!! So thats exciting--

I only live about 5 hours south of Chicago...My rents have been nagging me about what I can bring to Goose Creek...I know the rules about vehicles and all that jazz, here my question.

I have a laptop, Im a freelance photographer and my camera is surgically attached to me.  My question is "When" When can I get these item in my possession?  I dont exactly want to have to pay to have them shipped all the way out to goose creek when my parents can bring them to graduation--is that allowed??  And honestly, I dont plan on taking any leave--Just make home in goose creek and be "happy" 

Really all I need/want is my laptop and my camera gear.  Everything else Ive already signed a living will to my friends here at home (xbox, tvs, projector yada yada yada)

And Bikes?? I read about having them at prototype...what about going through A school??  Im a pretty active guy--if something is within biking distance, no point in wasting gas. 

Thanks

Andy

Rad Sponge

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2008, 07:31 »
All the gadgets you can have, but have to fit in your lockers and you gotta keep it locked up and out of site at all times. You may need permission for the camera at NPS, not sure though.

Leave the gadgets for after boot grad. You may not have an opportunity to get them. You may be flying to Charleston on grad day. Do you really want to risk damaging your gear in a hectic time?

I found that traveling light early was much easier.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 07:31 »
Bringing this thread to the top--

Ok--Here my situation--Im rolling in in less than 30 days now as opposed to 6 months!! So thats exciting--

I only live about 5 hours south of Chicago...My rents have been nagging me about what I can bring to Goose Creek...I know the rules about vehicles and all that jazz, here my question.

I have a laptop, Im a freelance photographer and my camera is surgically attached to me.  My question is "When" When can I get these item in my possession?  I dont exactly want to have to pay to have them shipped all the way out to goose creek when my parents can bring them to graduation--is that allowed??  And honestly, I dont plan on taking any leave--Just make home in goose creek and be "happy" 

Really all I need/want is my laptop and my camera gear.  Everything else Ive already signed a living will to my friends here at home (xbox, tvs, projector yada yada yada)

And Bikes?? I read about having them at prototype...what about going through A school??  Im a pretty active guy--if something is within biking distance, no point in wasting gas. 

Thanks

Andy

Congrats and good luck!

One of the recent guys will have better info but I am still pretty sure they won't be able to bring anything with them to give to graduation. in fact, you will probably have to dump stuff on them. However, if your flight out is like mine, they you might have time waiting at the airport where they can meet you. Once we were dropped off there, we were pretty much on our own. But we definitely were not allowed to leave RTC with nothing more than our sea bags. As far as the bike that shouldn't be a problem either. But, from I remember from goose creek, nothing of worth is within biking distance. :) I spent most of my time in orlando where we walked everywhere.  ;D

Justin

andrew.pigg

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2008, 12:50 »

You may be flying to Charleston on grad day. Do you really want to risk damaging your gear in a hectic time?

Tis true...Didnt think about that--Theres seriously like a small fortune in my camera gear...but it all fits in a small back pack deal.  I dont really foresee a problem with having it, its not like im taking pictures inside any buildings or anything of some confidential material--I do operate my own business and own a studio here at home...which I have slowly been shutting down.  My last wedding shoot is scheduled for the 24th and after that, im not booking anything.

Samabby

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2008, 10:09 »
Andrew, you still seem to be laboring under the misconception that everything in the Navy makes sense- FTR, it often doesn't. You can NOT have those extra items in your possession when you leave Great Lakes. End of story. They can be mailed to you once you arrive at Goose Creek. Ease back a little on trying to push the edges. Good luck.  8)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 03:40 »
While it has been a little while since I left boot camp, the way it worked when I was in was that depending on where you were in your training time, you may or may not ship out to Charleston immediately after Graduation.  For instance my division along with 13 others graduated on a Friday, we had liberty weekend and didn't "ship out" until the next thursday.  We were at the tail end of the graduation class.  Other divisions that were towards the front of the graduation class shipped out anywhere from immediately after graduation all the way until the next Friday(1 week).  Pretty much whatever you brought with you to boot that didn't have to get shipped back(shoes, personal small items like watch, glasses, etc) and the stuff they issued you is all you had when you went to Charleston.  Civilian clothes are superflous since you can't wear civies until much later in the training pipeline, and by then you have had a chance to go to the mall and get some new threads.  Of course this is about 9 years old so things have probably changed some. 

Their may not be much in the way of biking in Charleston, but there is an abundance of other things to take in.  Paintball(great field down there, lots of players), ice skating, downtown, beach, golf, short stay(if you are allowed to go), etc, etc.  You can always have things shipped to you, or well you gotta have someway to spend all that big money you are making now, NUB.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

andrew.pigg

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2008, 11:56 »
Andrew, you still seem to be laboring under the misconception that everything in the Navy makes sense- FTR, it often doesn't. You can NOT have those extra items in your possession when you leave Great Lakes. End of story. They can be mailed to you once you arrive at Goose Creek. Ease back a little on trying to push the edges. Good luck.  8)

Im not under any misconceptions...thus why I asked the questions to begin with. 

And me and spending money...yeah, I actually hate doing it--When I signed my contract with my bonus amount...I was like "alright, cool--not like im going to be able to spend it on anything" 

I wouldnt really consider myself A biker...more like Im cheap and dont want to pay for gas!  When I went to my university, instead of driving all over campus (which was a pain the the A** stupid one way streets...turn abouts, the street system was planned by a north korean nuclear bomb maker i think...) I just rode my bike from one building to another.  What will my itinerary look like through the pipeline?? Will I be pretty much in the same general area all day for classes?

As far as wearing civies goes...I could honestly care less. The tech school I went to was uniform code--as well as work.   I practically slept in steel toed boots and dickies. 

Charleston has been our families vacation spot for many many years now.  We have family and friends that live there as well as in Hilton Head--Its a beautiful area with Asheville being only 4 hours away. 

In all honesty, will I even have time to go out and hit the paintball fields?? (im a big baller...suppose ill have to use field gear?) and played varsity golf all through school. 

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2008, 12:37 »
Im not under any misconceptions...thus why I asked the questions to begin with. 

And me and spending money...yeah, I actually hate doing it--When I signed my contract with my bonus amount...I was like "alright, cool--not like im going to be able to spend it on anything" 

I wouldnt really consider myself A biker...more like Im cheap and dont want to pay for gas!  When I went to my university, instead of driving all over campus (which was a pain the the A** stupid one way streets...turn abouts, the street system was planned by a north korean nuclear bomb maker i think...) I just rode my bike from one building to another.  What will my itinerary look like through the pipeline?? Will I be pretty much in the same general area all day for classes?

As far as wearing civies goes...I could honestly care less. The tech school I went to was uniform code--as well as work.   I practically slept in steel toed boots and dickies. 

Charleston has been our families vacation spot for many many years now.  We have family and friends that live there as well as in Hilton Head--Its a beautiful area with Asheville being only 4 hours away. 

In all honesty, will I even have time to go out and hit the paintball fields?? (im a big baller...suppose ill have to use field gear?) and played varsity golf all through school. 

Not only will you be in the same area for class all day, you will be in the same class room at the same desk the entire time. :) Enjoy that.

As far as how much free time you will have, that is entirely in your hands. Well, not entirely but your performance is what your free time is primarily based on. Of course any discipline problems you have too. But as I have stated in another thread, it is my experience and belief that the older, more mature (20 somethings with some life experience) tend to do the best in the pipeline both academically and militarily. I think you are going to excel. My only advice is stay away from abusing the booze, stay away from under agers, and avoid military problems by keeping your hair cut, uniform cleaned and pressed, clean shaven, tats covered, not wearing those giant hole ear rings, and saying sir/maam/chief at the appropriate times. Every now and then, a person with piercings/tats/wild hair on the outside try to push the envelope and patients of the Chiefs with their shenanigans (hair length to the edge of the spec, trying to hide tongue rings, wearing those giant size hole ear rings, etc). Do you know how many times they were successful in their cause? Exactly zero. It always ends bad for them. Now, I don't get the feeling that you are of this type, but you do have the types of physical things that can get you in a lot of trouble. Its just fair warning in case you get a wild hair up your butt. :)

Justin
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:40 by JustinHEMI »

andrew.pigg

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2008, 01:37 »
Thanks--

Yeah, Ive had my gauges out for about 3 weeks now so theyre closed up.  My tongue has been free of metal ever since MEPS and Ive kept my hair at a 0a for the past 3 weeks (ive always worn my hair short) I dont usually drink...plus I wont even be legally of age to drink til 200904...not that that has stopped me in the past, but no way in heck am I even going to risk my career for something stupid--im fairly conservative in most aspects of life--Dont let my looks fool you...Just because I have tattoos and (had) crazy piercings doesnt mean crapola.  One of the officers I ran into at MEPS had this piss poor misconception that every person that had tattoos smoked weed.  He actually started a pissing contest with my recruiter about the results of my very first drug test.  He tried to get NC1 to say that she had told me to drink lots of water to falsify the initial results.  Chief got wind of it--All heck broke loose...made for an interesting later half of the day. 

Anyways, that was off the beaten trail.  About the underagers--I can only imagine that at boot camp some immature kid right out of high school is going to try and do something stupid and the whole division is going to pay for it!!  My plan=get in the bunk and pass out.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2008, 02:40 »
Thanks--

Dont let my looks fool you...Just because I have tattoos and (had) crazy piercings doesnt mean crapola.  One of the officers I ran into at MEPS had this piss poor misconception that every person that had tattoos smoked weed.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Like I said, I don't get that impression from you. The problem is, you are going to run into these cooks all over the Navy. It is complete BS, yes, but its a fact none the less. Therefore, you will have to make sure that at all times, you are militarily squared away, which it sounds like you are well on your way to being so that those like that officer never have a reason to come after you.

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2008, 12:37 »

Trust me the Civies thing will become a big deal after you have to go to the mall in your whites or blues and stick out like a sore thumb(why is it always the thumb). 

There are a lot of good places to visit in SC and surrounding areas.  Myrtle beach, cyprus gardens, short stay, etc.

Usually MWR(Morale Welfare and Recreation) will schedule trips for student to do things like White Water rafting, paintball, moutain biking, etc.  Furthermore, we usually tried to plan a Staff vs. Student paintball game after Mids at proto(we always slaughtered the students).  They also do it on the weekends for NPS students.  The cool thing about the trips in Proto was it was usually a thursday so we had the entire field to ourselves.  Believe me you will be able to get your guns shipped to you and have a blast there.  If not you got all this big money now, just go buy a 900 dollar gun off the shelf.

Samabby

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2008, 02:14 »
" If not you got all this big money now, just go buy a 900 dollar gun off the shelf. "

Please tell me that this is a typo. Is it possible that any sane person could spend $900.00 on a paint ball gun?  8)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2008, 02:48 »
" If not you got all this big money now, just go buy a 900 dollar gun off the shelf. "

Please tell me that this is a typo. Is it possible that any sane person could spend $900.00 on a paint ball gun?  8)

I know isn't it crazy? Whats crazier is that most of them spend THOUSANDS on their paint ball gun. I never understood it. I have a lot of real guns and not a single one of them cost me thousands. :)

Justin

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2008, 02:51 »
I know isn't it crazy? Whats crazier is that most of them spend THOUSANDS on their paint ball gun. I never understood it. I have a lot of real guns and not a single one of them cost me thousands. :)

Justin

True but you can't go shooting people with a real gun for fun without getting thrown in prison or executed.  And yes there are people out there that spend multiple thousands of dollars on paintball guns and accessories. 

Samabby

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2008, 03:00 »
I must live in some sort of parallel universe.  :(

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2008, 03:07 »
No just another example of people having more money than they have sense.  But I digress.  Back to the topic at hand, Yes there are plenty of things to do in Charleston and even more to spend your money on.  I know some great places to eat there for whatever your tastse may be.  You will have more free time than you might expect, as long as your grades hold up.  Best advice I can give you for NPS and A school.  DO NOT STUDY the night before an exam.  You will cram and get screwed up if you do.  Go in the morning of, and do a quick review.  The night before, go bowling or to the mall or something.  Seen quite a few NUBs Study themselves into low grades from craming the night before.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2008, 03:52 »
True but you can't go shooting people with a real gun for fun without getting thrown in prison or executed.  And yes there are people out there that spend multiple thousands of dollars on paintball guns and accessories. 

No no I am not saying there is anything wrong with it. I am just saying that I think the cost of the game is inflated.

Justin

andrew.pigg

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2008, 12:35 »
Well what do you expect...They force you to purchase field paint--the course I play at even requires to you pay a fee if youre not a "member" to chron in your gun. 

Ive been fairly adamant about my study habits throughout school (my pops was my principal during middle school and mom was a teacher at my high school... no room for slacking)

bryantvail

Looking into the U.S. Navy Nuke with major questions
« Reply #62 on: Jul 17, 2014, 01:08 »
 >:(
     I want to go Nuke, I've score well beyond the range as far as ASVAB and go to MEPS soon. My concerns are fundamental. One, I am going in with a waiver for my knee so I'm curious about PT during A school and on regular orders, type of Physical Training and how often. Also, I have a DUI from 4yrs ago when I was 20yrs old (now 24), an Associates Degree and again an above average ASVAB, my question is whether I should be concerned about my clearance going through during basic and whether anyone has any suggested jobs to go into as a substitute for someone looking for a position that transfers into the private sector with such strength.

Thanks, this forum has been so helpful already!

Druid

Re: Looking into the U.S. Navy Nuke with major questions
« Reply #63 on: Jul 18, 2014, 02:28 »
     I want to go Nuke, I've score well beyond the range as far as ASVAB and go to MEPS soon. My concerns are fundamental. One, I am going in with a waiver for my knee so I'm curious about PT during A school and on regular orders, type of Physical Training and how often.

I would be far less concerned with PT that you do on a periodic basis in proper gear and more concerned about day-in/day-out on (worst case) steel decks and (best case) tile over steel decks. You are going to be going up and down steel ladders onto steel decks LOTS. Your going to be slipping in lube oil and seawater. Best of luck if that's your decision though.

bryantvail

« Reply #64 on: Jul 18, 2014, 03:56 »
Steel decks and stairs are fine and comfortable, as far as making the mile and a half in basic and PT are my major concerns. Are there any long runs I should be aware of?

Hilariousity

« Reply #65 on: Jul 18, 2014, 09:39 »
Steel decks and stairs are fine and comfortable, as far as making the mile and a half in basic and PT are my major concerns. Are there any long runs I should be aware of?

Just all the time. Like seriously, all the damn time. You'll run at least 3 PFAs at RTC. You'll run one when you class up at A-School, when you class up at power school, when you class up at prototype, you'll run an official PFA every six months. You'll run one every time you want part of that glorious enlistment bonus, but most of all you'll run a check PFA whenever the people in charge of you feel like it, which will be ALL THE TIME!

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #66 on: Jul 19, 2014, 01:21 »
Just all the time. Like seriously, all the damn time. You'll run at least 3 PFAs at RTC. You'll run one when you class up at A-School, when you class up at power school, when you class up at prototype, you'll run an official PFA every six months. You'll run one every time you want part of that glorious enlistment bonus, but most of all you'll run a check PFA whenever the people in charge of you feel like it, which will be ALL THE TIME!
I'm not sure if the Navy can check-PFA people in the fleet, but I know it can't be done at the LPO/DIVO level. Was playing poker with some Army/Marine company officers... Navy fitness standards (or lackthereof) somehow came up and they were shocked that we couldn't do that.

One of the big hazing incidents trained on not too long ago (and probably is still talked about) is how an E-5 'hazed' an E-3 or E-4 because he made him do pushups for getting a checkout question wrong. I thought about being on my face for getting the Marine's Hymn wrong at OCS, thought about how it was damn effective at making sure I don't forget it, and wondered why there was such a double standard, but hey I just work here.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2014, 01:24 by spekkio »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #67 on: Jul 19, 2014, 08:04 »
Not only do you not get a check PFA in the fleet (unless you're on FEP), you might get out of the real PFA if you're on deployment. I know in 20 years, I've performed fewer than 40 PFAs, most due to Op tempo not allowing it, and one (prototype) because the weather didn't allow it. That might have changed now that you can use the bike/elliptical.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #68 on: Jul 19, 2014, 12:42 »
Back in the day,.... I can remember PRTs that consisted of beer and softball.  
This was back when PRT scores were recorded on a pink file folder.

« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2014, 12:43 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #69 on: Jul 19, 2014, 04:24 »
Back in the day,.... I can remember PRTs that consisted of beer and softball. 
This was back when PRT scores were recorded on a pink file folder.

I thought they were calculated on a slide rule, and written in grease pencil on a polar plot board   8)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #70 on: Jul 19, 2014, 04:34 »
I thought they were calculated on a slide rule, and written in grease pencil on a polar plot board   8)

Offline PercMastaFTW

• Light User
Re: Looking into the U.S. Navy Nuke with major questions
« Reply #71 on: Aug 01, 2014, 11:30 »
     I want to go Nuke, I've score well beyond the range as far as ASVAB and go to MEPS soon. My concerns are fundamental. One, I am going in with a waiver for my knee so I'm curious about PT during A school and on regular orders, type of Physical Training and how often. Also, I have a DUI from 4yrs ago when I was 20yrs old (now 24), an Associates Degree and again an above average ASVAB, my question is whether I should be concerned about my clearance going through during basic and whether anyone has any suggested jobs to go into as a substitute for someone looking for a position that transfers into the private sector with such strength.

Thanks, this forum has been so helpful already!
For A-School, you will PT 3 times a week, including a 5K run every wednesday (new mandatory event). Every month at NNPT you will have a "PRT" that is only used to determine if you are placed into FEP (Fat Enlisted Person :) ) for getting less than a satisfactory overall. FEP is basically 5 days a week of PT, and much more difficult than regular PT, and you must score a good overall to be taken off the Fitness Enhancement Program.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?