Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Couple of A school questions

Author Topic: Couple of A school questions  (Read 52629 times)

cleonard19

Re: Couple of A school questions
« Reply #25 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:20 »
Doesn't mean I cant try to make it if i have the day free though. My question was more along the lines of a) will I be permitted to go to the games if my schedule allows for it, and B) If i am, what would the process be for being allowed to go that far from base?

landlubber

« Reply #26 on: Oct 03, 2007, 07:34 »
Doesn't mean I cant try to make it if i have the day free though. My question was more along the lines of a) will I be permitted to go to the games if my schedule allows for it, and B) If i am, what would the process be for being allowed to go that far from base?
I will cover the prototype time frame.

In general, students at prototype are never given time off from their normal work duties. For the 9th through ~24th week of said duties, you will be working shiftwork 12 hours per day. That means some of those duties will fall from 2000-0800 and often on weekends. If you want to go see a game when you are on liberty, you will have probably have to route a chit (official chain-of-command request form). NaVLI4 can probably quote the MTS command policy to you. Don't forget, you might go to Ballston Spa! (Long way to Clemson.)

However, all things are negotiable. I have seen some students given some amazingly good deals IF they were hot runners and ahead of their required progress curve. A really good reason helps. Season tickets to Clemson games might not fly so well.

Best of luck to you. :)

Fermi2

« Reply #27 on: Oct 03, 2007, 11:07 »
When I was in the Navy I believe you had to put an Out Of Bounds chit in for anything over 400 miles.

Mike

mlslstephens

« Reply #28 on: Oct 04, 2007, 08:57 »

In general, students at prototype are never given time off from their normal work duties. For the 9th through ~24th week of said duties, you will be working shiftwork 12 hours per day. That means some of those duties will fall from 2000-0800 and often on weekends. If you want to go see a game when you are on liberty, you will have probably have to route a chit (official chain-of-command request form). NaVLI4 can probably quote the MTS command policy to you. Don't forget, you might go to Ballston Spa! (Long way to Clemson.)

Just so happens I can.  Here in GC, SC, our policy for liberty is anything exceeding 200 miles requires a request chit and formal travel plan.  Columbia is only 100 miles so as long as you aren't on shift, then you would be able to go to the games.  That being said, with where you are in the pipeline, once you get to NPTU, look ahead at the shift schedules and see which ones line up better for home games.  All it takes is to request a particular shift and we would accomodate.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2007, 09:49 by NaVLI4 »

cleonard19

« Reply #29 on: Oct 05, 2007, 11:44 »
^^

Good deal. I wasn't expecting to make it to most of them, but one or two a year to get to see the family again would be enough for me. Oh and Clemson is in Anderson, that "other school" that we don't dare utter the name of (unless we're trashing on it) is in Columbia. So Clemson is definitely farther than 100 miles.

Fermi2

« Reply #30 on: Oct 06, 2007, 07:25 »
Just so happens I can.  Here in GC, SC, our policy for liberty is anything exceeding 200 miles requires a request chit and formal travel plan.  Columbia is only 100 miles so as long as you aren't on shift, then you would be able to go to the games.  That being said, with where you are in the pipeline, once you get to NPTU, look ahead at the shift schedules and see which ones line up better for home games.  All it takes is to request a particular shift and we would accomodate.

Yes it was 200 miles!!! Hey can you send me that website again? I lost the link!

Mike

mlslstephens

« Reply #31 on: Oct 06, 2007, 08:07 »
^^

Good deal. I wasn't expecting to make it to most of them, but one or two a year to get to see the family again would be enough for me. Oh and Clemson is in Anderson, that "other school" that we don't dare utter the name of (unless we're trashing on it) is in Columbia. So Clemson is definitely farther than 100 miles.
What was I thinking?  Clemson is right on the 200 mile buffer so depending on your LCC, he may or may not require a chit.  If he does require one, however, it's just paper and as long as you are keeping up with the curve, it will be approved.

mlslstephens

« Reply #32 on: Oct 06, 2007, 08:08 »

Yes it was 200 miles!!! Hey can you send me that website again? I lost the link!

Mike

Mike, which website are you referring to?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #33 on: Oct 23, 2007, 11:15 »
In general, students at prototype are never given time off from their normal work duties. For the 9th through ~24th week of said duti

Im heading to week 32... grr.

That said, prototype is much different from powerschool. time off is actually time off. What these guys arent telling you, every 5 weeks you get 4 days off in a row, on the fifth day (if you have reduced hours), you can come in at 3pm.

You will have plenty of time to do things in prototype. Just make sure you dont lose focus on things.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #34 on: Oct 24, 2007, 08:18 »
When I was at prototype, the travel limit was > 400 miles (one day's travel).  It was always best to be flying, with reservations to include with the request chit.  The chits were always approved and was a KYA manuever, in case you were UA by events outside your control.  That way, they could at least justify your being outside the limits.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Sejik

« Reply #35 on: Oct 25, 2007, 10:28 »

However, all things are negotiable. I have seen some students given some amazingly good deals IF they were hot runners and ahead of their required progress curve. A really good reason helps. Season tickets to Clemson games might not fly so well.

Best of luck to you. :)

Things have slightly gotten better now. At least while on crew.

There are two curves now to be ahead of. The standard 6% ahead, where you get 3-4 days of reduced hours off. And now the 10% ahead where you get 5 out of 7 days reduced hours off. So you basically only put in staff hours plus throw in 6 extra whenever and you're good. It's really not that hard to put in that many hours, even accidentally and just basically have to come in a hour or so early before quarters.

As for reasons, depends on who your LPO/Staff Adviser are first. You should go to them to see what they advise you of. That and if you have a good TC, you can pull off some good things, as long as you're ahead of the curve and showing strong progress.

I've even seen a guy get a day off for, let's just say, unofficial reasons.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #36 on: Nov 02, 2007, 12:46 »
Things have slightly gotten better now. At least while on crew.

There are two curves now to be ahead of. The standard 6% ahead, where you get 3-4 days of reduced hours off. And now the 10% ahead where you get 5 out of 7 days reduced hours off. So you basically only put in staff hours plus throw in 6 extra whenever and you're good. It's really not that hard to put in that many hours, even accidentally and just basically have to come in a hour or so early before quarters.

As for reasons, depends on who your LPO/Staff Adviser are first. You should go to them to see what they advise you of. That and if you have a good TC, you can pull off some good things, as long as you're ahead of the curve and showing strong progress.

I've even seen a guy get a day off for, let's just say, unofficial reasons.

what prototype are you at???

cleonard19

Bicycle at A School?
« Reply #37 on: Nov 09, 2007, 09:24 »
Am I allowed to have a bicycle (road bike) at A school? I've always enjoyed biking and its a heck of a work out without subjecting my knees to further damage, so I was wondering if i'd be allowed to have it on base, and where it would have to be stored if it was allowed.

Finalman

Re: Bicycle at A School?
« Reply #38 on: Nov 09, 2007, 11:03 »
Kind of a random question, but yes you are, at the barraks there are concrete pads that have area's to chain your bike to, you must however register it with the BEQ quarterdeck before it can have constant use on site, but that's not hard to get.

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #39 on: Nov 10, 2007, 07:15 »
Better to take a fixie or an old beater bike that can take the weather.  I don't know if "A" school has changed since I did it (wooden ships).  There was no room inside the barracks to store a good road bike.  I rode a beat up Ross to keep the miles in until I got to Nuke School and had some storage underneath the stairs. Better to get there and see exactly what the Command will allow, then get the appropriate bike.
Is it time for coffee yet?

cleonard19

« Reply #40 on: Nov 10, 2007, 02:22 »
Better to take a fixie or an old beater bike that can take the weather.  I don't know if "A" school has changed since I did it (wooden ships).  There was no room inside the barracks to store a good road bike.  I rode a beat up Ross to keep the miles in until I got to Nuke School and had some storage underneath the stairs. Better to get there and see exactly what the Command will allow, then get the appropriate bike.

that was my general train of thought. I just wanted to make sure before I left. The random question came from me getting ready to leave. I'm going out of town for a last family reunion on thursday and won't return till the day before my shipdate and I'm in the process of weeding things out and pre-boxing things for my parents to send me when the time is appropriate, so that they don't have to worry about it and I don't have to worry about them missing something. Items such as cell phone, computer, my favorite articles of clothing, legal paperwork etc. Boxed it all up in a couple small boxes and put appropriate postage on it. All they gotta do is write the mailing address and put it in the mail. But more importantly, I have a brand new schwinn fastback cx roadbike that I was going to just sell if there wasn't going to be room for it on base as a student.

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #41 on: Nov 10, 2007, 04:30 »
I would not sell it.  If you are like me, a road bike that I like and fits the way I like is hard to find.  I have only just bought a new roadie after 17 years on the last one.  Get to your command and then decide.  Depending on where you go, biking might not be pleasant, especially in the winter months.  By the time spring rolls around, you will be ready to ride and can scope out some storage.  Maybe someone will get an off base apartment that will let you store it there.  I just would not show up with it and have to chain it outside.  It won't last long that way.

Good luck, smooth seas

Is it time for coffee yet?

cleonard19

« Reply #42 on: Nov 10, 2007, 10:34 »
I would not sell it.  If you are like me, a road bike that I like and fits the way I like is hard to find.  I have only just bought a new roadie after 17 years on the last one.  Get to your command and then decide.  Depending on where you go, biking might not be pleasant, especially in the winter months.  By the time spring rolls around, you will be ready to ride and can scope out some storage.  Maybe someone will get an off base apartment that will let you store it there.  I just would not show up with it and have to chain it outside.  It won't last long that way.

Good luck, smooth seas

Thanks, and no, I don't imagine that a $1000 dollar bike will last very long chained outside, no matter where is chained (military base in this case)

Finalman

« Reply #43 on: Nov 11, 2007, 02:21 »
There is a guy here with a pretty expensive bike ( i suppose it is) that he keeps covered and rides often, even now with it being freezing cold... There are apparently several wood courses somewhere in the woods around here, i have no bike so thus I have no idea how well they are made or anything.

As for the ships they are now built like hotels, in a crossed shape, 3 stories, with small suites for the students, A-schoolers have two-two person rooms with a common head, and then through T-track and power school you have two-one person rooms with a common head.

andrew.pigg

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 07:19 »
Bringing this thread to the top--

Ok--Here my situation--Im rolling in in less than 30 days now as opposed to 6 months!! So thats exciting--

I only live about 5 hours south of Chicago...My rents have been nagging me about what I can bring to Goose Creek...I know the rules about vehicles and all that jazz, here my question.

I have a laptop, Im a freelance photographer and my camera is surgically attached to me.  My question is "When" When can I get these item in my possession?  I dont exactly want to have to pay to have them shipped all the way out to goose creek when my parents can bring them to graduation--is that allowed??  And honestly, I dont plan on taking any leave--Just make home in goose creek and be "happy" 

Really all I need/want is my laptop and my camera gear.  Everything else Ive already signed a living will to my friends here at home (xbox, tvs, projector yada yada yada)

And Bikes?? I read about having them at prototype...what about going through A school??  Im a pretty active guy--if something is within biking distance, no point in wasting gas. 

Thanks

Andy

Rad Sponge

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2008, 07:31 »
All the gadgets you can have, but have to fit in your lockers and you gotta keep it locked up and out of site at all times. You may need permission for the camera at NPS, not sure though.

Leave the gadgets for after boot grad. You may not have an opportunity to get them. You may be flying to Charleston on grad day. Do you really want to risk damaging your gear in a hectic time?

I found that traveling light early was much easier.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 07:31 »
Bringing this thread to the top--

Ok--Here my situation--Im rolling in in less than 30 days now as opposed to 6 months!! So thats exciting--

I only live about 5 hours south of Chicago...My rents have been nagging me about what I can bring to Goose Creek...I know the rules about vehicles and all that jazz, here my question.

I have a laptop, Im a freelance photographer and my camera is surgically attached to me.  My question is "When" When can I get these item in my possession?  I dont exactly want to have to pay to have them shipped all the way out to goose creek when my parents can bring them to graduation--is that allowed??  And honestly, I dont plan on taking any leave--Just make home in goose creek and be "happy" 

Really all I need/want is my laptop and my camera gear.  Everything else Ive already signed a living will to my friends here at home (xbox, tvs, projector yada yada yada)

And Bikes?? I read about having them at prototype...what about going through A school??  Im a pretty active guy--if something is within biking distance, no point in wasting gas. 

Thanks

Andy

Congrats and good luck!

One of the recent guys will have better info but I am still pretty sure they won't be able to bring anything with them to give to graduation. in fact, you will probably have to dump stuff on them. However, if your flight out is like mine, they you might have time waiting at the airport where they can meet you. Once we were dropped off there, we were pretty much on our own. But we definitely were not allowed to leave RTC with nothing more than our sea bags. As far as the bike that shouldn't be a problem either. But, from I remember from goose creek, nothing of worth is within biking distance. :) I spent most of my time in orlando where we walked everywhere.  ;D

Justin

andrew.pigg

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2008, 12:50 »

You may be flying to Charleston on grad day. Do you really want to risk damaging your gear in a hectic time?

Tis true...Didnt think about that--Theres seriously like a small fortune in my camera gear...but it all fits in a small back pack deal.  I dont really foresee a problem with having it, its not like im taking pictures inside any buildings or anything of some confidential material--I do operate my own business and own a studio here at home...which I have slowly been shutting down.  My last wedding shoot is scheduled for the 24th and after that, im not booking anything.

Samabby

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2008, 10:09 »
Andrew, you still seem to be laboring under the misconception that everything in the Navy makes sense- FTR, it often doesn't. You can NOT have those extra items in your possession when you leave Great Lakes. End of story. They can be mailed to you once you arrive at Goose Creek. Ease back a little on trying to push the edges. Good luck.  8)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 03:40 »
While it has been a little while since I left boot camp, the way it worked when I was in was that depending on where you were in your training time, you may or may not ship out to Charleston immediately after Graduation.  For instance my division along with 13 others graduated on a Friday, we had liberty weekend and didn't "ship out" until the next thursday.  We were at the tail end of the graduation class.  Other divisions that were towards the front of the graduation class shipped out anywhere from immediately after graduation all the way until the next Friday(1 week).  Pretty much whatever you brought with you to boot that didn't have to get shipped back(shoes, personal small items like watch, glasses, etc) and the stuff they issued you is all you had when you went to Charleston.  Civilian clothes are superflous since you can't wear civies until much later in the training pipeline, and by then you have had a chance to go to the mall and get some new threads.  Of course this is about 9 years old so things have probably changed some. 

Their may not be much in the way of biking in Charleston, but there is an abundance of other things to take in.  Paintball(great field down there, lots of players), ice skating, downtown, beach, golf, short stay(if you are allowed to go), etc, etc.  You can always have things shipped to you, or well you gotta have someway to spend all that big money you are making now, NUB.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?