Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Valve and equipment location

Author Topic: Valve and equipment location  (Read 9901 times)

Scorpio51

Valve and equipment location
« on: Jun 28, 2007, 11:12 »
I know most of you have wandered around (or climbed around) inside the biowall, drywell, D-Ring, etc.  looking for some damn valve that the house tech told you was in Alpha Loop only to find it in Charlie Loop 40 mrem later.

Okay nukes, what's out there to assist us in finding valves, transmitters, etc?  What's the best you've seen and the worst?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Valve and equipment location
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2007, 11:38 »
The Valve Locator books at St. Lucie and Turkey Point work pretty well. While they are not perfect, they are pretty clsoe. They come from a database that were put together by the ALARA groups with assistance from Maintenance, Ops and others. They save a bunch of time and dose.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2007, 12:53 »
Shearon Harris was by far the best I have seen.  They had big maps at every ingress point to a major area with valves numbered on each map.  Every valve had a tag with large numbers identifying it.  You could also go to the HP window and get a map for every area with the valve numbers on it.  They also had large maps around the HP window with valve numbers on them.  The rest do not compare, they are scum in my opinion compared to the Shearon Harris way.

shayne

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2007, 02:35 »
Usually valve lineups had good locations of the valves.  Back that up with the maps at RP, and generally you were in business..

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2007, 10:48 »

Jerry Hiatt, Chief Technical Officer-Bartlett Nuclear, has produced an exceptionally helpful Light Water Reactor basic training package intended for those new to the commercial nuclear power industry.
   I found it so well organized that it serves as my library's sole systems reference book.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 29, 2007, 09:11 »
We've got a surrogate tour at Callaway that I've found pretty useful for locating components prior to going into containment.  You can choose to have components identified or not when going through it.  It's really useful when doing a pre-job walkdown or to look an unfamiliar area over prior to going there.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:05 »
Many plants produced something like the valve locator, but did not put it in a very usable format (e.g. some MAC fan wrote it on proprietary Apple software). Sequoyah has a decent product on MS Excel, which is backed up with the virtual tour.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2008, 07:54 »
Does anyone at a BWR-Mark 1 have a decent valve locator?  (esp. one with instrument/transmitter locations &/or pictures)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:25 »
Does anyone at a BWR-Mark 1 have a decent valve locator?  (esp. one with instrument/transmitter locations &/or pictures)

We have a picture file, but it's kinda thin. We also use the time honored "go ask the old guy" method...... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline dinutt

• RPT (HP)
  • Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2008, 09:43 »
We have a pretty good valve and transmitters locater book with pics, for our containment  and Auxiliary building at  FPL one of our House RP updates as he goes along and it is the best i have seen. we recently performed some power entries (we had both our units RX heads replaced )  so with that we have updated our Neutron dose areas (maps etc  ) to help with our historical data now  This  book is a great Alara concept and a tool to do the job right the first time.he has given copies of this book to workers new and old to our site. Even OPS uses it If you want to contact him email me and I can give you his name etc if you wish. BWR plants try the Entergy plants they had a good virtual tour and valve locator's contact their Alara Groups...
Di

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2008, 07:16 »
Thanks!

We have a picture file, but it's kinda thin. We also use the time honored "go ask the old guy" method...... ;)

That's how the topic came up...Old Guy had his day off & we couldn't figure out where the jobsite was, let alone what we needed to do once we got there...  :(

We have a pretty good valve and transmitters locater book with pics, for our containment  and Auxiliary building at  FPL one of our House RP updates as he goes along and it is the best i have seen. we recently performed some power entries (we had both our units RX heads replaced )  so with that we have updated our Neutron dose areas (maps etc  ) to help with our historical data now  This  book is a great Alara concept and a tool to do the job right the first time.he has given copies of this book to workers new and old to our site. Even OPS uses it If you want to contact him email me and I can give you his name etc if you wish. BWR plants try the Entergy plants they had a good virtual tour and valve locator's contact their Alara Groups...
Di

We have the virtual tour, but it's on an obsolete computer that only 3 people have access to.  There is also a partial list of valves with locations & some pictures that we all have access to...guess we'll have to decide if it's worth adding to, or if it would be better to start fresh.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?