Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Chief of the boat

Author Topic: Chief of the boat  (Read 39083 times)

ramdog_1

Chief of the boat
« on: Jul 02, 2007, 10:13 »
What is the function of the Chief of  the boat?
How much do's the chief have to know about all job scopes?
where is the chief in the command scope . 1st 2nd 3rd?
How come I never run in to chief of the boat in nukes out here? Are they like Lifers?
and Who holds the keys ?
and what is a bubble head?
thanks

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
Re: Chief of the boat
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2007, 10:25 »
Straight out of Wikipedia which explains it a whole lot better than my attempt:
Chief of the Boat (COB) is a senior enlisted man on a submarine in the US Navy who assists and advises the commanding officer and executive officer on matters regarding the good order and discipline of the crew. There is only one COB on a submarine and he is generally responsible for the day-to-day operations of the boat's non-commissioned personnel and for their morale and training. While it is usually true that the COB is the most senior enlisted man, it is not strictly required. The CO is neither required to select the highest ranking man or the most senior in time in grade aboard, nor to replace his COB with a more senior man who reports aboard after the COB's selection.

When a new enlisted sailor joins a boat's crew, the COB is usually one of the first people he will meet. While the COB is outside the direct chain of command for sailors junior to him, he has a tremendous amount of authority and carries a lot of weight, generally being thought of as the top of a virtual enlisted chain of command.

The selection process to become a COB starts with the CO's recommendation, which goes to the Naval Military Personnel Command via the Squadron Commander. Nominees are interviewed by other COBs.

My COB was a quartermaster by trade so I doubt he would have ended up in a nuclear plant.

A bubble head is a submariner, you have to maintain trim and angle by a bubble.  Hence bubble head.
Is it time for coffee yet?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2007, 02:19 »
The COB is the Submarine equivalent to a Command Master Chief.  Like any other small command, a submarine may not have a Master Chief assigned to the crew.  Even if there is one, he may not be the COB.
Normally nukes do not get assigned as COB because their training is too specialized and valuable for this job.  There is a similar position for the senior enlisted nuke on a sub.  He is known as the Engineer's Enlisted Assistant.  Heis the senior member of the Engineering Department, and functions somewhat like a COB, although the COB's authority and responsibility extends to the Engineering Department the same as the other departments.
By "who holds the keys?" I assume you are referring to those used to launch a weapon.  There are several sets of keys that are "official".  The Officer of the Deck and Engineering Officer of the Watch each have a set of keys for things like the SCRAM breakers, small arms locker, etc.  The keys needed to launch weapons are held by the Captain and Weapons Officer.  These keys may or may not be assigned to other officers.  There may or may not be additional keys needed to launch a weapon.  The entire sequence from receiving the order to launch a weapon to the actual release of the weapon required a strict procedure which includes cypher locks, combinations, code keys, and actual keys.  This system is classified.  No one without the clearance and need to know ever knows exactly who is holding what pieces to this puzzle at any one time.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2007, 02:50 »
This system is classified.  No one without the clearance and need to know ever knows exactly who is holding what pieces to this puzzle at any one time.

It's Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington :P

Seriously, very good synopsis Troy, even I understood it and I'm the dumbest man on the planet 8)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2007, 03:12 »
It's Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington :P

Damn, ya beat me to it... but don't forget Weps (the weapons officer.) His was the second key. Good movie (at least to me, having never been on a sub.)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

ramdog_1

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2007, 04:57 »
will in the moives it was Sean Connerey and the political officer.
a site I am working at now has a manger who says he was the chief of the boat on some silly sub. if it was not the sea view I have no clue.
all my good friends wore green.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2007, 06:31 »
Were you Airforce or Marines or Army? Think Command Master Sgt.

Mike

klsas

« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2007, 08:41 »
The COB is the person that you do not want opening your curtain 15 minutes after field started. It is not a pleasant way to wake up. Nuke training, drills, maintenance, paperwork, etc. are not a reason to oversleep.

Keith

alphacookie

« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2007, 08:49 »
The following two Wiki articles pretty much outline how the "nuclear strike message" gets to the subs and what happens thereafter.

No one person has all the combinations to get into the safes.  And that is just to get the code books and authentication "cookies".  Once the message is decoded and authenticated, then and only then can you get the keys to launch.  Also, there are multiple keys that have various functions in the launch process.  Again, no one person has the ability to get each different set of keys.

There is absolutely no way for any one person to conduct a launch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Integrated_Operational_Plan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Action_Message

I have had many years experience on a ballistic missile sub.  Whoever wrote the Wiki articles must have as well.

Also, as an aside, Gene Hackman was right and Denzel was wrong.  If the last authenticated/verified message said launch, then they should have launched.

illegalsmile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 03, 2007, 05:23 »
Ab-so-friggin'-lutely!!!!!!! And I don't believe there's ever been an XO or a crew that would have argued w/ that.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 2007, 12:08 »
will in the moives it was Sean Connerey and the political officer.

That was Sam Neill, playing the part of the "zampolit", the installed KGB political officer, responsible for keeping an eye on captain and crew, Party doctrinal correctness of crew conduct on shore as well as at sea, and anything else of note to the KGB. Usually an officer ranked major or above. In no way comparable to the coffee-swilling, pastry-crunching flubbering khaki coner played very well by George Dzundza.  ;)

Wirebiter

« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2007, 10:05 »
That was Sam Neill, playing the part of the "zampolit", the installed KGB political officer, responsible for keeping an eye on captain and crew, Party doctrinal correctness of crew conduct on shore as well as at sea, and anything else of note to the KGB. Usually an officer ranked major or above. In no way comparable to the coffee-swilling, pastry-crunching flubbering khaki coner played very well by George Dzundza.  ;)

Actually,  Sam Neill was the XO of the Red October or captain second rank as they call it.  The Political officer was played by Peter Firth.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099810/

The senior nuke on a sub is now refered to as the "EDMC" or Engineering Department Master Chief.  Even though he usually is a Senior chief (E-8).  The EDEA was changed about 8 or 9 years ago.

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2007, 12:44 »
But I bet it doesn't matter what the Navy calls him, I'll venture a guess the nukes still call him the Bull Nuke right?

Mike

alphacookie

« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2007, 07:03 »
But I bet it doesn't matter what the Navy calls him, I'll venture a guess the nukes still call him the Bull Nuke right?

Mike

Yup!

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2007, 05:29 »
The COB is the Submarine equivalent to a Command Master Chief.  Like any other small command, a submarine may not have a Master Chief assigned to the crew.  Even if there is one, he may not be the COB.
Normally nukes do not get assigned as COB because their training is too specialized and valuable for this job.  There is a similar position for the senior enlisted nuke on a sub.  He is known as the Engineer's Enlisted Assistant.  Heis the senior member of the Engineering Department, and functions somewhat like a COB, although the COB's authority and responsibility extends to the Engineering Department the same as the other departments.

The "Bull Nuke" is called the EDMC (Engineering Department Master Chief).  In order for a nuke to be a COB they normally must have 20 years in and completed an EDMC tour.  There are several former nukes who have gone on to be COBs.  One of the MCPONs was a nuke (MCPON Herdt).  I know a couple of nukes that have gone to be CMCs of surface ship's (non-Nuke).
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

duke99301

« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2007, 10:40 »
Hey what is Chief of the Watch?

mlslstephens

« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2007, 11:32 »
The Chief of the Watch (COW) is Responsible for coordinating shipboard evolutions such as housekeeping, watchstanding, wake-ups, etc. Also controls the BCP (ballast control panel) while underway.

Wirebiter

« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2007, 09:20 »
Hey what is Chief of the Watch?
It is an at sea watch station that can be qualified by anyone, usually E-5 or higher.

PapaBear765

« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2008, 10:44 »
Also, as an aside, Gene Hackman was right and Denzel was wrong.  If the last authenticated/verified message said launch, then they should have launched.

Bull----.  With respect to the exact scenario from the movie, they should have not launched.

<modified by moderator>
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2008, 12:21 by PWHoppe »

ddklbl

« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2008, 01:32 »
Bull----.  With respect to the exact scenario from the movie, they should have not launched.

<modified by moderator>

BabyBear, I love your posts!  I would wager that you wouldn't have as much conviction if you were saying this to NaVLi4 directly.  If you knew his background you would know to defer to his experience.

PapaBear765

« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2008, 01:41 »
BabyBear, I love your posts!  I would wager that you wouldn't have as much conviction if you were saying this to NaVLi4 directly.  If you knew his background you would know to defer to his experience.

Nope, definitely not.  I can think for myself, and I stand by my post.  You re-read it...I said "in that exact scenario," so if you're implying that NaVLi4 was in that exact scenario...then I'd still disagree.

taterhead

« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2008, 01:49 »

Actually, he was quoting alphacookie, not the Auburn fan guy (NaVLi4)

That, and if the CO's dog was pee'in all over the decks I had to clean (like in the movie), I would drop-kick that little bugger and claim not to have seen a thing. 

taterhead

« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2008, 01:53 »

Beat me to it TaterHead.

Well, I am training for speed and accuracy these days... ;D

ddklbl

« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2008, 01:59 »

whoops, so much for attention to detail on my part.  to the bilge I go.  which isn't that far off the truth from what I am doing now... :(

mlslstephens

« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:16 »

That, and if the CO's dog was pee'in all over the decks I had to clean (like in the movie), I would drop-kick that little bugger and claim not to have seen a thing. 

Thanks taterhead, dd and honecomb for sticking up for my post.  :)

There are so many things about that movie that get to me.  First, the name. (it's an Auburn thing).  Then the dog peeing in the missile compartment.  Being a former Strategic Weapons Officer, I can't imagine seeing a dog in my "house" much less relieving himself on my tubes.
The Weps and the CO are the only two people on the sub with combos to the "keys".  No one on the boat knows the other combo.
I hate the bus seen where the O-gangers bust on the E-5 and then make him do push-ups.  :(  I did use push-ups as "training tools", but only when my TMs dropped wrenches at Battlestations...that will get you shot.
So, how do I get this post back to the topic, well, the COB on the movie wore a 1/2 inch gold band on his cover.  This is used only on officer covers.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2008, 03:19 »
Thanks taterhead, dd and honecomb for sticking up for my post.  :)

There are so many things about that movie that get to me.  First, the name. (it's an Auburn thing).  Then the dog peeing in the missile compartment.  Being a former Strategic Weapons Officer, I can't imagine seeing a dog in my "house" much less relieving himself on my tubes.
The Weps and the CO are the only two people on the sub with combos to the "keys".  No one on the boat knows the other combo.
I hate the bus seen where the O-gangers bust on the E-5 and then make him do push-ups.  :(  I did use push-ups as "training tools", but only when my TMs dropped wrenches at Battlestations...that will get you shot.
So, how do I get this post back to the topic, well, the COB on the movie wore a 1/2 inch gold band on his cover.  This is used only on officer covers.

At least they got one thing right... all skippers wear their TLDs on the outside of their belts... not double captured. :) At least thats the way it was with my 5 COs. :)

Justin

PS This is also true of Down Periscope and The Hunt for Red October.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:06 »
When did double capturing start?

I have no idea. :)

Justin

PapaBear765

« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2008, 12:41 »
At least they got one thing right... all skippers wear their TLDs on the outside of their belts... not double captured. :) At least thats the way it was with my 5 COs. :)

Justin

PS This is also true of Down Periscope and The Hunt for Red October.

Would everyone agree that an "accurate sub movie" would consist of combining the shenanigans of Down Periscope with the monotony of Das Boot.  I had to stop watching after 20 mins, it was too realistically boring.

Offline trollarc

• Light User
« Reply #28 on: Aug 20, 2009, 04:51 »
Yeah the little dog thing would be impossible. The MAs wouldnt let even a captain take a dog down. But if they did, I guarentee that if the dog had hair when it went underway, it would not have hair after halfway night. In fact, if I had gone out to sea with someone's dog, I would have purchased nair just for the occasion (after shaving the dog use it to make it less likely to grow back).

ziphaa

« Reply #29 on: Nov 25, 2009, 08:33 »
The Chief of the Watch (COW) is Responsible for coordinating shipboard evolutions such as housekeeping, watchstanding, wake-ups, etc. Also controls the BCP (ballast control panel) while underway.
He is in charge of going to his rack, being seven section, and blaming maneuvering for sinking out at PD.
 :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?