Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Officer with 20+ years retiring with questions about the industry
honeypot

Author Topic: Navy Officer with 20+ years retiring with questions about the industry  (Read 25556 times)

mlslstephens

First, here is a little history...
Ten years experience as sub electrician's mate.
Twelve years as sub officer.
Qualified EOOW, Engineer, Command.
Currently serving as Executive Officer of Moored Training Ship.

With one year left in the Navy, I am looking forward to life after the Navy but I am leaning heavily towards a second career in the Nuclear Industry.

Can anyone with experience in the industry help me with realistic options regarding where to start and realistic timelines.  I am interested in the training side of the house as well as operations.  I understand what the bottom of the totem pole looks like but does my experience and qualifications help me in the job interview process and initial placement?

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Fermi2

I bet if you used the search function you'd find an answer to everyone of your questions.

Mike

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
War Eagle! Send me a PM; we know each other.

Joe

Edit: I sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2007, 05:56 by War Eagle »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
yeah, search for some stuff and ask questions about what you found.  if you can't find anything, let us know.

JustinHEMI05

Palo Verde is hiring in the training department! :) However, it would probably be a HUGE pay cut for you.

Justin

wolfxoman

I know that most Nuke plants are looking for Operations Training personnel.  It all depends on where you want to settle in the states.  As far as your military exp. did you also manage to get a degree in engeneering or the like while you were in?  That would be a big plus for the Licensed Operator positions that are also needed in the industry.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
You are a "bit" more qualified than the bottom of the totem pole.  Guys like you are more heavily valued for their management experience than anything else.  That's not to say that you are going to be a Plant Manager right off the boat, but you could easily find yourself on that track.
Training is a good choice too.  But, there are literally hundreds of companies who provide services to the nuclear industry.  I think that they tend to get the short end of our conversations here.  You can try to build a nest at one nuke plant that is close to something you love (like your hometown or favorite golf course) or you can sign on with a vendor and live pretty much anywhere.  The downside of that is that it can be scheduled heavily around outage season.  Pretty much, every Sept - Nov and Mar - May are a little like deployments -- except you get to stay on land and call home every night.

My point is ;  call Westinghouse, GE, Givoo, Aerotek, Sonic, DeNuke (that is a real company with really good people despite the goofy name), etc.  The jobs section here is a great resource.  If you use it right, you won't have to call anybody --they'll call you.   Get your resume on there, and just watch what happens.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

mlslstephens

I'm really hoping to settle in somewhere in the Southeast.  Living in SouthCarolina now and being from Tennessee, I'm interested in those two states.  However, I really don't know much about the other sites so I'm open to any ideas and information.

As for my education, yes, I have an Engineering degree and a Master's degree in Information Systems.

Once again, I value any helpful information.  This site continues to provide great information for us newbies trying to break in.

On a separate note, being from Auburn it is hard to admit that anyone with Roll Tide as a online name could be any help at all, but reading all the posts from him and Broadzilla are extremely helpful.  Thanks!

Mike

mlslstephens

You are a "bit" more qualified than the bottom of the totem pole.  Guys like you are more heavily valued for their management experience than anything else.  That's not to say that you are going to be a Plant Manager right off the boat, but you could easily find yourself on that track.
Training is a good choice too.  But, there are literally hundreds of companies who provide services to the nuclear industry.  I think that they tend to get the short end of our conversations here.  You can try to build a nest at one nuke plant that is close to something you love (like your hometown or favorite golf course) or you can sign on with a vendor and live pretty much anywhere.  The downside of that is that it can be scheduled heavily around outage season.  Pretty much, every Sept - Nov and Mar - May are a little like deployments -- except you get to stay on land and call home every night.

My point is ;  call Westinghouse, GE, Givoo, Aerotek, Sonic, DeNuke (that is a real company with really good people despite the goofy name), etc.  The jobs section here is a great resource.  If you use it right, you won't have to call anybody --they'll call you.   Get your resume on there, and just watch what happens.

Great information here.  Thanks so much.  I'm not opposed to working my way up the totem pole, but management is definately something I'm looking at.  However, I understand the importance of having a detailed knowledge of what you are supervising to be effective.  I do like the training aspect.  I am going to check out the vendors you mentioned.  Right now, I'm really just trying to gather as much information as possible.  I'm still one year from retirement but knowledge is power.  As always, I value your input and it is much appreciated.

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
War Eagle! ;D
If you are interested in a job at a TVA facility (TN, AL), check out TVA's online job info and application web site at http://www.tva.gov/employment/index.htm.
Best of luck ( But I doubt, given your background, you'll need any luck too find a great job).

Fermi2

I answered your PM my friend!

Mike

ranger2

Found myself in a similar circumstance fairly recently. Be happy to help you out. Sent you an email.

Thanks for your service.
Rich

landlubber

A little bird told me that 4 engineers and managers (2 in operations and 2 post-operations) quit from KSO this week.  :o At least 2 are going to FL power and light. Just a coincidence? Or maybe a growing trend.....Do you have the same problem with retaining CTEs and SITs at the 626 and 635?

mlslstephens

A little bird told me that 4 engineers and managers (2 in operations and 2 post-operations) quit from KSO this week.  :o At least 2 are going to FL power and light. Just a coincidence? Or maybe a growing trend.....Do you have the same problem with retaining CTEs and SITs at the 626 and 635?

I don't have the long term statistics but I have seen my share of CTEs and SITs leave.  Not sure if this is normal turnover or are they "seeing the light?"

landlubber

"seeing the light?"

Yup. We have been hiring more and more folks to fill the billets at KSO. What a mess.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
I know they are hiring AOs for over 30$ an hour to start at Indian Point.  I know they always need SROs there and good shift managers there are not in high supply either.  If you can stand the cost of living and like the area, try giving IP a call.  It is different there though, but if you need a job......Maybe your getting out would coincide with an SRO class starting up or close to it.  Good people move up quickly there and if you don't like it eventually you could move on and probably move up.

pointer

Hello:

Please send me a MS Word resume. I'm a retained exec recruiter in Houston searching for Tech Sales Engineer all over the US for APC (www.APC-MGE.com) and they love you nuke Navy guys!

I'm the only search firm thus engaged by APC.

Best regards,
=bob frank=
Pointer@Houston.rr.com

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
perhaps they could purchase a button ad here,then?

mlslstephens

perhaps they could purchase a button ad here,then?

??? Sorry, I didn't follow you.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2007, 10:24 by NaVLI4 »

maxparity

You galdern goldmembers shore seems like sum smart fellers. Dang.

mlslstephens

Let me help,...
"pointer" is scanning the posts and replies on these forums looking for good candidates for his goals,...
he found you and proferred his services for your mutual benefit,...
pointer is not a gold member,...
pointer does not buy advertising space,...
it costs money to operate this resource,...
hydrodave is suggesting that if pointer seeks to profit from this resource it would only be decent to contribute to it's upkeep in some small measure,...
this is not required of pointer, it's just a mark of the man so to speak,...
since pointer has only recently registered here and may not have realized the full potential this resource affords him, I will toss him some positive karma to offset the negative karma administered yesterday, this is a token of our indulgence for allowing pointer to appreciate the faux pas and make amends,...
best of luck to all involved,...
marssim

Awesome post!  Being new to the forum as well I am not a Gold Member ( can't help but to see Mike Myers when I say that) either.  I am learning more and more about this fantastic website each day.  Broadzilla, BeerCourt, Rolltide and many others help in this matter each time I read their posts.
I can understand pointer's perspective in that I too am looking for things to help me out as well.  I have very few posts because I don't feel "qualified" to respond to many of the posts about the industry.  In a way, I feel a bit selfish because so far I am benefitting more than I am contributing. 

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
I have very few posts because I don't feel "qualified" to respond to many of the posts about the industry.  In a way, I feel a bit selfish because so far I am benefitting more than I am contributing. 

Do not feel selfish, that is exactly what we are here for. You will find a lot of nukes (navy and non) that just want to help. I almost guarantee that sometime soon someone will ask a question you can help with... and if not, you are still a welcome participant even if all you do is learn.

As far as refraining from answering questions you are not qualified to respond to all I can say is... thank you. You are showing much more restraint than some others who are not qualified and go ahead and post anyway. We have even had one individual that posted "I am not qualified to respond to this post." All that does is junk up the site and inflate the users posting numbers (and ego.)

And BTW... welcome to NukeWorker.com
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Chip Horton

Hello - I am the Head of Training at Bruce Power (an eight unit site) in Ontario Canada.  I am from SC and an ex Navy Nuke.  Would love to chat with you.  Send contact info to my email at chip.horton@brucepower.com

mlslstephens

First, here is a little history...
Ten years experience as sub electrician's mate.
Twelve years as sub officer.
Qualified EOOW, Engineer, Command.
Currently serving as Executive Officer of Moored Training Ship.

With one year left in the Navy, I am looking forward to life after the Navy but I am leaning heavily towards a second career in the Nuclear Industry.

Can anyone with experience in the industry help me with realistic options regarding where to start and realistic timelines.  I am interested in the training side of the house as well as operations.  I understand what the bottom of the totem pole looks like but does my experience and qualifications help me in the job interview process and initial placement?

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Well, it is hard to believe almost a year has past since my first NW post.  As my Navy career is winding down, I wanted to take a moment to reminisce and thank a few people for their help.  First, I should mention the first reply to my post...

I bet if you used the search function you'd find an answer to everyone of your questions.

Mike

I still laugh at other newbies to the site when they post similar threads and get the same response from BZ.  Well, publicly, I want to thank BZ for an enormous amount of help and assistance during my search for a new career in the civilian nuclear industry.  Mike has given great advice, always put bluntly  ;), but always on target.  Additionally, he has helped tremendously with my resume.  Thanks, Mike.

Secondly, Beercourt's advice over the past year and his help with my resume is also appreciated immensely.

Okay, I'm not going to go down the list of every person who has given great advice, but I'm amazed at how helpful this site has been to me. 

So, for all those people who continually surf NW, looking for people to help, I thank you and I look forward to beginning my second career very soon and hopefully meeting some of you in person.

Fermi2

I met NaVLI4 in person and I'll vouch for him being one hell of a nice and very impressive guy. Definitely an asset for wherever he chooses to go.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?