Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions about getting a clearance?...Help.... honeypot

Author Topic: Questions about getting a clearance?...Help....  (Read 7250 times)

Nawfukguy

Questions about getting a clearance?...Help....
« on: Jul 15, 2007, 04:23 »
First time posting here.  Have a resume on file from two years ago.  Anyway, great site.  Let me get to the question (or situation).  I received an honorable discharge from the Navy in 2004 (I was an ELT on a sub).  Anyway, left the Navy after 6 years to go to ODU and study biochem.  I had a DWAI while in the Navy in 2001 in upstate New York and paid my fines and did my time.  Well, I got married and the marriage is now in disrepair, I'm still at ODU with 40 credit hours to go in Biochem, and, to make matters worse, I was arrested and found guilty of solicitation last year (REALLY bad day!).  I've paid my fine, did community service, and am on "probation" (I use asterisks because it merely means I have a suspended sentence which will be applied if I get into trouble again) for another year.  SOOO, my question is, is my situation screwed for getting a job in the Nuclear Industry now or anytime ever?  I currently have two friends working up in plants in Penn and they seem to actually enjoy themselves (I never enjoyed Navy and sub life).  So, can I actually get a NRC license/clearance for operations/health physics/RP/chem, etc. with that misdemeanor charge on my record, or should I just gut it out here in Norfolk and finish out my degree in Biochem and stay in academic science or biotech?...I 've always been intrigued what chemist-life at a plant is like and it's the only part of the Navy I liked (being an ELT), but I'm afraid my life choices the last three years may have significantly hurt me.  Thanks for your time and patience in reading this and I look forward to any and all responses.  Thanks.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Questions about getting a clearance?...Help....
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2007, 05:06 »
You have no pending charges and no felonies.  Access to a nuke is not a huge problem for you.  Keep out of trouble.  Keep your credit record as clean as you can (considering that there is a woman out there probably doing her best to wreck it right now).  Stay drug free and lay off the booze a little.  Always tell the truth.

Finish school if you can, but you can earn some nice $$$$ by working a few weeks a year as a contract worker.  It is a great "temporary" job.

There are a lot worse things than what you have been convicted for.  Good luck.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Nawfukguy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2007, 10:24 »
How do I go about getting work as a contract worker?....Bartlett?...Also, what can I do to "enhance my resume" while I stay in school here at ODU?...are there any on-line certifications/classes that I could take/finish to make a better impression?...Last, but not least, does anyone know anything about life at academic research plants like MURR (Mizzou's reactor)?
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2007, 10:45 by Nawfukguy »

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2007, 01:09 »
Your best bet is to call bartletts or atlantics security department directly and tell them your situation.  Each utility is different on what theyll accept in someones background.  Once you have the intial clearance out of the way its easier but the security folks will be able to tell you first off if a clearance will happen for you.  Good luck!

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2007, 04:58 »
First of all ..dont get discouraged ! It sounds like you have realized what bad choices and consequences can do..and are willing to do what it takes to repair things in your life !! Congratulations !

Second..finish your education for sure..a hazwoper certification can look great on your resume as well..check and see if you are eligible for NRRPT certification..you may very well be with your navy nuke time on board ( i think 5 years in the field in the requirement ) if i am wrong on my field time, Beercourt please correct me :) . Also this site does have available the study guides for the Hazwoper cert and the NRRPT available for very reasonable prices and for the NEU ( critical test for senior health physics tech or ANYONE that wants to prove to a utility they have a knowledge base.)You want to make yourself a proven certified assett for any utility ! It certainly sounds like you will be.

Call Christine at Bartletts security dept..800 225 0385 ext 1250 i believe. She is all business and a misdemeanor offence that is no longer pending ..you SHOULD be ok..just disclose ALL.

Did i say finish your degree?? i really meant it ! half an education counts as NO education..( on paper ) so finish !

and lastly..take a deep breath and realize that women are evil ...lol ..this i know cause i am one !..Try to just take a deep breath and assess whats happening in your life and imagine yourself taking 2 or 3 different paths..then the consequences for each path..once you write it down..it is not that hard to make the choices to establish your priorities..( im sounding like a mom here..but then..i AM a mom :)

Good Luck and AGAIN..Dont get discouraged !
Kathleen

It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

wolfxoman

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2007, 01:19 »
I agree with the for mentioned personnel, finish school and keep straight and always tell the employer the truth about your slightedness from the past.  When it comes to the security access don't withhold the info they will find out.  If you tell them everything and you have no felonies on your record you shouldn't have any problem getting access.

Good luck to you on your endeavors.

Nawfukguy

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2007, 03:32 »
Thanks everyone for the sound advice and, unexpected, encouragement.  My plan is to stay here at ODU and finish the Biochem degree (which means I'll graduate May 2008).  In the meantime, I'll acquire the HAZWOPER and NRRPT cert.  Maybe I can get a job working this next summer working a contract for Bartlett (I'll call Christine next week, thanks).  I was worried that the combination of my legal issues, my long time to finish my degree, and my time away from Navy Nuc would make it impossible to continue in the nuclear field.  Once again, thanks and any further advice/encouragement would be appreciated.   Thanks, Glenn....PS...anyone know about work at these Research reactor sites?...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?