Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Prototype in new york.

Author Topic: Nuke Prototype in new york.  (Read 23955 times)

EM3 Grewal

Nuke Prototype in new york.
« on: Jul 15, 2007, 10:41 »
hi everyone. i little bit about myself: i am currently senior class in power school in charleston. got two more months to go and holding up pretty good. now, we get to put in our input about where we want to attend prototype this week. i am definitly putting in for new york and hope i get it. what i have a question about is how does housing work? am i to start looking for apartments near ballston spa right now with 2 months left in power school? or does someone brief us about this and lay down some options? grad leave is coming real fast and i've already got plans set for it but haven't thought about where i'm going to live. mainly, should i be worrying about it with two months left or will i be spoonfed like nukes in the navy always do? and if i should be looking into it now, where would you guys recommend me staying? i have looked at other forums but they seem a little dated. thank you.

wolfy659

Re: Nuke Prototype in new york.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2007, 12:21 »
I'm the class ahead of you (off crew up @ NPTU ballston spa). As far as you getting ny, i'd say ur chances are alright. Last class had people that had to switch to ny, so it isn't the most popular, since it gets cold here in the winter, and you will be here in the winter.

As far as housing goes, you can choose to live in Navy housing thats been outsourced to civilians (GMH is what its called here). Everything's included, so it's a good deal, but you lose all your BAH. If you decide to live out in town, you can get a better deal (i.e. me and my two buddies found a 1500 sq ft apartment for 900/month. One ended up getting picked up for OCS, so it's 450 a month for each of us, with everything included, but no on-site laundry, but we have a laundrymat right across the street).

I would recommend finding someplace between the site & downtown saratoga. I live right smack in the middle, on Geyser Rd (right near the rowland st. intersection) Lotsa people live in clifton park or malta, since they don't want to be around navy, but since there's only about 1000 of us up here, it never feels like your running into other military. NSU Saratoga Springs, where the mini nex/PSD/NAVY FED, is on rt. 29, bout 3-4 miles from me. Nearest big nex & commisary is in scotia.

As far as worrying about it, dont right now. If you haven't already, your class's master chief will hold a housing brief after it's decided where your going, and they'll give you a shit ton of info on what to expect, and a list of people with available apartments. Use common sense in laying down a security deposit on  a place you haven't seen (or get a hold of me and i'll take a look @ the place if i can...you know, shipmates helping shipmates, and all that crap)

Most important right now is focus on school. Since you only have 2 months left, it's easy to lose focus. And don't fail the comp, since you'll lose some leave going to ac board/recomp, whether or not you pass it or get booted from the prog.

Best of luck, and hope to see you around. Time for me to hit it tho, shift starts 0800. Get a hold of me if you have any other ?'s

Rad Sponge

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2007, 05:46 »
Great information. Good luck to both of you.

Jason

EM3 Grewal

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2007, 05:21 »
allright that's a little relieving cuz my SLPO really doesn't seem like he's experienced with SLPO business. i won't bother too much right now about housing if our class director is going to lay out major info on it. to personalize this just a bit, i have airline tickets to go see my family in england. i graduate on sept 14, so my main concern is leaving here RIGHT after graduation to new york, driving up there, getting settled (probably just drop off my stuff and have a place to leave my car over leave) and being ready to catch an amtrak out of saratoga springs to penn station on saturday evening at 3:30 pm. think i could do it? please leave me some input. i don't feel so confident about this whole thing being planned out already when i don't even know how it is over there.
thanks. i really appreciate it.
grewal

Nawfukguy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2007, 10:41 »
Stop worrying like all you young nukies do...when I graduated from Charleston (first class to graduate from there...what a mess!), we all loaded up in a big red suburban and headed for New Orleans for 5 days for Mardi Gras, THEN went back home (me, Michigan and AZ), then finally to New York.  We had one guy (my roommate) who pussied out on going to New Orleans and went to New York and got everyone horrible accomodations anyway.  There's a "welcome center" in Saratoga Springs for guys like you with a BUNCH of rental listings anyway.  I lived there twice, actually.  Once, in Amsterdam...cheap as hell, yet VERY far from the action...not recommended unless you're a hermit and IN Saratoga Springs...much more expensive but at least you have the fun times, the Skidmore girls, and the best breakfast place I've been to in years.  Well, good luck compadre.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2007, 11:53 »
I lived in Galway, it was the best!  You can get a big place there and then hold parties if you want the party life.  Get some good roomates and have fun.  Of course, I'm talking 1989, so things might have changed.  Don't forget to use all your media options to find a place at the right place that doesn't suck (INET, papers, rental listings at base, call a few real estate agents, ask around).

jsilvavalentin

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2007, 08:09 »
I was up in New York for a year up until last Feb and I can tell you not to worry. When I got there it was end of Feb last year and I got a place within the first day looking. There should be a brief coming soon for you in which one of the PMCs (Plant Master Chief) from NY will go down to NNPTC and brief all you guys on everything, including housing. I lived right outside downtown Saratoga Springs on Crescent St, close enough to the site (like a 10 min drive taking Geyser Rd) and definetly close enough to downtown to go out @ night. You'll love Saratoga, I know I did. Wayyyy better than Goose Creek. Anyway, good luck on the end of NPS, and before you know it, you'll be out on a ship, believe me. Again, good luck.
MM2

OCnuke

« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2007, 08:31 »
Stop worrying like all you young nukies do...when I graduated from Charleston (first class to graduate from there...what a mess!), we all loaded up in a big red suburban and headed for New Orleans for 5 days for Mardi Gras, THEN went back home (me, Michigan and AZ), then finally to New York.  We had one guy (my roommate) who pussied out on going to New Orleans and went to New York and got everyone horrible accomodations anyway.  There's a "welcome center" in Saratoga Springs for guys like you with a BUNCH of rental listings anyway.  I lived there twice, actually.  Once, in Amsterdam...cheap as hell, yet VERY far from the action...not recommended unless you're a hermit and IN Saratoga Springs...much more expensive but at least you have the fun times, the Skidmore girls, and the best breakfast place I've been to in years.  Well, good luck compadre.

i assume youre talking about Compton's?  Prototype was by far the best time i've had in the navy so far. i lived right across the street from the race track and went to catherine street at least two times a week. Great times had by all and lucky for me i was there in the summer.  I think our rent was like $350 a month (4 of us in a house). It was a perfect house since it was already beat up we would have parties there all the time.  And now i'm stuck in bangor where it rains all the time.

AskewDivergent

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2007, 11:30 »
  Once, in Amsterdam...cheap as hell, yet VERY far from the action...not recommended unless you're a hermit and IN Saratoga Springs...much more expensive but at least you have the fun times, the Skidmore girls, and the best breakfast place I've been to in years.  Well, good luck compadre.

Haha I remember the skidmore ho's... good times. The best was going up to Montreal on our 4-days and hoping that our BAC was below the limit before driving back into the states. We had a tradition to go skiing at Gore mtn in the mornings when we got off of mids, the place was empty.

Were you talking about Comptons diner? We went to another place as well, can't remember the name of it some ma & pa shack at the first intersection when you're leaving the site.

Definitely a highlight in my time in the Navy.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2007, 08:39 »
Stop worrying like all you young nukies do...when I graduated from Charleston (first class to graduate from there...what a mess!),

Hehehehe  I just gotta laugh at that one.  I guess it all depends what you call "young".  When I got out of the Navy, those "prototypes" in Charleston were fully operational warships, there were FOUR units at Ballston Spa, One in Connecticut, and a bunch in Idaho.  NPS was in Orlando FL, and "A" school was in Great Lakes for MM's. 

Now, somebody is going to call me a Baby Nuke, 'cause he can remember NPS in Bainbridge or Mare Island.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

GldnShllBck

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2007, 08:51 »
Just remembering Bainbridge and Mare Island would not qualify anyone to call you a baby nuke! They would at least have to have gotten out before Orlando was opened!

landlubber

« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2007, 11:01 »
Prototype was by far the best time i've had in the navy so far.
As a guy who spent 13 years at KSO training, maintaining, testing and operating one of the remaining plants, I am SHOCKED that that h@!!-hole was your best time in the Navy. I can't remember a single one of the thousands of students that I trained that said they actually enjoyed prototype. Many preferred prototype to power school, but that is like selecting a prom date from the Soviet women's ice-hocky team. There just ain't no good choice. Most of the Navy staff I worked with (which includes someone reading this) thought the only worse place than prototype (as an instructor) was the shipyard.

I hope the rest of your time in the Navy improves. :)

By the way, when you get out, if you get an engineering degree, KAPL will hire you and you can work there forever! :(

citresa

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2007, 05:17 »
Hey. I graduate from power school in about 3 weeks. 4 of my friends have already signed a lease for a house and have invited me to live with them. Unfortunately, none of them have actually seen the house and they just found it online. Everything seems alright and from the pictures it looks okay. But all these housing briefs have got a couple of them paranoid now. I saw something about someone offering to go and look at places? I know they've already signed the lease and can't get out of it if the house is in bad neighborhood or something, but it'd still be nice if someone could go and take a quick peak at the house to calm some of the nerves. Any offers? I'd be very appriciative.

landlubber

« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2007, 06:10 »
Send me the address and I will swing by tomorrow. ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?