Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Does every MM hate this pump as much as me  

Author Topic: Does every MM hate this pump as much as me  (Read 31960 times)

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Does every MM hate this pump as much as me
« on: Jul 20, 2007, 03:42 »
http://www.megator.co.uk/sliding_shoe_pump.htm

I just noticed the .uk in the address no wonder this thing sucks (actualy it dosen't thats the problem)

ender17

Re: Does every MM hate this pump as much as me
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2007, 09:24 »
LOL, well, plenty enough do hate those pumps.  I know the guys who worked the aft plant on my last carrier hated theirs.  They ended up just buying an all new pump to fix it.  But that was mainly their chief that had that happen.  He only had to have the shoes and bearings replaced at the same time to actually fix it, but he didn't know better.  I can't remember the periodicity for the maintenance on that pump, but it wasn't a short enough time in between periods.  I work with a guy that actually had theirs running great every time they started it.  However, that was because he was always tearing it down to maintain it.

Finalman

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2007, 10:34 »
So what's the problem with it?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:57 »
What is this pump used for? LO transfer or something?

ender17

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2007, 11:48 »
It pumps oily waste water.  Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I've been gone a lot.  One of the more common ways these things break is operator error.  If they are run without a suction for any length of time, you can kiss those shoes goodbye.  They will "burn up" on you.  The other way the shoes do the same thing.....well, it's just nature of the beast that it breaks so often like that.  It's the only way I can explain it in written word.  I still just think that they are just a huge pain in the arse. 

Mnemorath

« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2007, 06:23 »
Lol, yes.

Damn things were the bilge pumps in the boxes on my last ship. CVN-75. It got so bad that we resorted to using the eductors once we got far enough to sea. The only time we used them was in-port and we had to baby them the entire time.

Self priming my ass......

Offline mclumber1

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2008, 04:01 »
We had a 10 year MM1 run the oily waste pump for 6 straight hours sucking a bone dry bilge.  The next watch went downstairs to see what the noise was, noticed the pump was running (and he felt the heat coming off the casing!).  The shoes and internals were trashed.  There was talk of the MM1 having to fix his own damage, but no one trusted him to do the job.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2008, 10:04 »
its funny to see how much i DIDNT know about back in the day :-p

mclumber1- > reverse delagation for the win :)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:59 »
I was on my ship for 3 years in the 1 MMR.  For 2 and 3/4 years never saw the darn thing operate.  Used a "whizbang" for in port stuff, eductor for >12 miles.  Finally our non-nuke super MM fixer types(one worked at SIMA for several years, the other came from an Minesweeper that was constantly broke) completely rebuilt the whole thing, shoes, rotor, everything.  First time they started it, you couldn't even tell it was running it was so quiet.  Don't know how long it lasted though.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:31 »
I was on my ship for 3 years in the 1 MMR.  For 2 and 3/4 years never saw the darn thing operate.  Used a "whizbang" for in port stuff, eductor for >12 miles.  Finally our non-nuke super MM fixer types(one worked at SIMA for several years, the other came from an Minesweeper that was constantly broke) completely rebuilt the whole thing, shoes, rotor, everything.  First time they started it, you couldn't even tell it was running it was so quiet.  Don't know how long it lasted though.

Probably until the first time someone ran it dry

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2008, 02:00 »
Probably until the first time someone ran it dry

Fair enough.  Not sure there were too many MMs that knew how it ran.  Used to be able to operate it on Steam or Compressed air also.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Jimmykroffa

• Light User
  • Nuclear Operator
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:52 »
That is the worst pump ever created! The person that thought of it should be repeatedly punched in the d***. Back when I was on CVN-69, 4ish years ago, we heard this loud bang and looked all around.....later found the bottom casing of the pump had brittle fractured and fell into the bilge! Looked like someone took a pair of scissors and cut out a perfectly rounded square out of the bottom of the pump.....
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2008, 12:04 by Nuclear NASCAR »

pimpizhere18

« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:23 »
alright, the fact of the matter is that people who ran the pump dry and destroyed the shoes is generally do to the fact that they 1. weren't aware of how the pump worked and 2. didnt understand how much water was in the bilge vs pump capacity.

While I would agree that the damn pump was a big P.O.S., if you had the slightest idea on how to run the damn things.. you never had issues. I generally spent the first 5-10 mins venting off the casing in order to get sufficient suction to do anything. However, once I had a suction, the thing ran fine. Just had to pay attention to bilge level. I never got proficient at running the pump out to sea until I stood my first CRW ORSE Cycle. Other than that, it was all in port operations.

And yes, you could see it run while out to sea. On CVN 74, we would pump certain tanks to the B&O Tanks and then use the eductor to pump down the B&O Tanks.

M1Ark

« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:53 »
What is this pump used for? LO transfer or something?

Bilge pump. 

I didn't allow anyone to use it.  We used Eductors or a whiz-bang pump instead.

byroneduardo

« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2009, 05:12 »
did the same thing with whiz-bangs.  i have heard stories of this pump run dry until it was so hot it was practically glowing (i know it can get hot) but i bet that is just snipe scuttlebutT

number41

« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:51 »
Yep, those things suck.  We had a very similar design for pumping "stuff" overboard on 688 class boats, and ours stayed broken because nubs didn't actually check for water in the oil.  I spent several weeks with 2 hrs a day sleep b/c we rebuilt the damn thing twice underway.  Thank God for John Dotter!

drayer54

« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2011, 12:43 »
I can't believe that this forum had an entire thread on the Megator H300 90GPM Sliding Shoe Pump!!!

This pump worked like a champ until someone who wasn't too sure how the damn thing worked would get ahole of it and break it. I can almost remember the NSN for this thing from the top of my head and have a whole lot more random knowledge on this that hasn't gone away yet. I'm pretty sure I could still offer a good checkout on the Dresser Rand SSAC too. As for the pump. it has a 1350lb shipping weight and I remember going to pick one of these up from FISC Norfolk. I went to supply to get one of their trucks to break since I didn't want to use my own that time. The only truck they had was a tiny Ford Ranger with 3 stickers on the inside clearly stating "MAX LOAD 600LBS." I was a little worried about it after that, but I went to FISC and convinced the 2 forklift loaders to stick it in the bed of the truck, only one end of the crate was touching the bed of the truck and the back end of the truck was about 2" off the road.

I drove that truck from FISC to Pier 14 at about 5MPH and listened to the most god awful noise every time I hit a bump in the road. I was imagining the truck falling apart on the road and was already thinking of what story I would use to explain myself. I figured that I could of got away with it on the road, but if it fell apart in the McDonald's Drive Thru then I was screwed. I made it back to the pier after a long scary drive and when the crane pulled the pump out of the box, the truck didn't come back up.

Too bad Weapons was using all the heavy duty trucks that day.......
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2011, 08:52 by drayer54 »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2011, 01:57 »
I can't believe that this forum had an entire thread on the Megator H300 90GPM Sliding Shoe Pump!!!

This pump worked like a champ until someone who wasn't too sure how the damn thing worked would get ahole of it and break it. I can almost remember the NSN for this thing from the top of my head and have a whole lot more random knowledge on this that hasn't gone away yet. I'm pretty sure I could still offer a good checkout on the Dresser Rand SSAC too. As for the pump. it has a 1350lb shipping weight and I remember going to pick one of these up from FISC Norfolk. I went to supply to get one of their trucks to break since I didn't want to use my own that time. The only truck they had was a tiny Ford Ranger with 3 stickers on the inside clearly stating "MAX LOAD 600LBS." I was a little worried about it after that, but I went to FISC and convinced the 2 forklift loaders to stick it in the bed of the truck, only one end of the crate was touching the bed of the truck and the back end of the truck was about 2" off the road.

I drove that truck from FISC to Pier 14 at about 5MPH and listened to the most god awful noise every time I hit a bump in the road. I was imagining the truck falling apart on the road and was already thinking of what story I would use to explain myself. I figured that I could of got away with it on the road, but if it fell apart in the McDonald's Drive Thru then I was screwed. I made it back to the pier after a long scary drive and when the crane pulled the pump out of the box, the truck didn't come back up.

Too bad Weapons was using all the heavy duty trucks that day.......

drayer, did you ever even replace a shoe on that thing? IIRC I had much more intimate time with that megator and our lovely fire pumps then you ever did ;)

You cry about about having to drive it on a truck, but I distinctly remember someone else on this forum that had to get the tagout written, get a team to rig it down, implement said tagout, and put it in... hmm... :D  that was a fun day haha.

edit : let the pissing contest begin ;) haha
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2011, 02:04 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2011, 02:06 »
http://www.sandpiperpumps.co.uk/S1F.php <- Greatest bilge pumping tool ever invented. 

Get a roll of 3/4" tygon, tape it to a broomstick, get some fittings from the A-gangers, bolt the thing to the deck, rig up an air hose and shove the discharge hose into an oily bilge tank. 

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2011, 02:10 »
http://www.sandpiperpumps.co.uk/S1F.php <- Greatest bilge pumping tool ever invented. 

Get a roll of 3/4" tygon, tape it to a broomstick, get some fittings from the A-gangers, bolt the thing to the deck, rig up an air hose and shove the discharge hose into an oily bilge tank. 

Thats cheating.

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2011, 02:13 »
Thats cheating.

I prefer to call it "taking advantage of organizational resources and infrastructure to facilitate an enhanced conformity to 'dry bilge concept' requirements."

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2011, 02:25 »
I prefer to call it "taking advantage of organizational resources and infrastructure to facilitate an enhanced conformity to 'dry bilge concept' requirements."

Right. Thats what I said? :)

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2011, 02:31 »
Right. Thats what I said? :)

Don't mind me, I'm practicing my supervisor-speech.

Speaking of which, did the surface fleet have a 'dry bilge' concept?  I remember having to dive bilges and wipe any sort of moisture out with kim-wipes, because God forbid the EDMC ever come back and find that there's actual liquid in the bilges.

drayer54

« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2011, 02:34 »

Thats just sailor rigged Whiz Bang pumping! The H300 could get 90 GPM (per the book) which is twice that load. The eductor hose worked wonders too (which is your rig x10), especially during certain maintenance items.
Speaking of which, did the surface fleet have a 'dry bilge' concept?
You would know that had you ever learned the significance of the paint color in the bilge. Perception is reality, if the bilge is dry when he does walkthroughs, it must always be dry... duh
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2011, 02:35 by drayer54 »

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2011, 02:38 »
Thats just sailor rigged Whiz Bang pumping! The H300 could get 90 GPM (per the book) which is twice that load. The eductor hose worked wonders too (which is your rig x10), especially during certain maintenance items.
44' diameter hull.  My biggest bilge was maybe 12'x4', between tankage, components, and frames.

You would know that had you ever learned the significance of the paint color in the bilge.  Perception is reality, if the bilge is dry when he does walkthroughs, it must always be dry... duh
Honestly, if I'd ever learned why it was gray, I've long-since forgotten.  As far as I could tell, it's because it glistens so nicely when there's oil leaking from the SS Hyd Plant, which means that any blind man with a flashlight could find it.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2011, 02:40 by JustPlainLo »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?