Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Starting a Radiation Safety Program at Eastern Idaho Technical College honeypot

Author Topic: Starting a Radiation Safety Program at Eastern Idaho Technical College  (Read 7351 times)

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
I am a new instructor for the Radiation Safety Program at Eastern Idaho Technical College in Idaho Falls.  Just started here a couple of weeks ago.  The Radiation Safetey program here is an 11 month college credit deal.  The students, upon completion, will receive a technical certificate from the college in Radiation Safety.  The goal to produce people with the knowledge and skills to obtain jobs as junior rad techs at DOE and commercial nuclear power plants.  We have a loose association with the Idaho National Laboratory here.  As part of the program, the students will actually spend the last (summer) semester at the variuos INL sites and complete a checklist of radation technican tasks.

I have some OLD instrumentation that I am told works.  Specifically, an Eberline SAC-4 alpha scintallaion counter, a Tennelec LB1000, Technical Associates Model MGP-5AB Gas flow proportional, various types of friskers (ludlum M177, eberline RM20, etc.), and some ion chamber and GM beta/gamma survey instruments.

I would like to get your input on the types, number and strength of check sources I should get for my program.  I would like for the students to perform the normal daily/weekly checks of the portable instruments; plateau, chi-squared and simple calibration of the gas flow/scintillation/gm tube counters.

We do not have a radioactive material license so the sources would have to meet exempt status.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Valkrider

I am a new instructor for the Radiation Safety Program at Eastern Idaho Technical College in Idaho Falls.  Just started here a couple of weeks ago.  The Radiation Safetey program here is an 11 month college credit deal.  The students, upon completion, will receive a technical certificate from the college in Radiation Safety.  The goal to produce people with the knowledge and skills to obtain jobs as junior rad techs at DOE and commercial nuclear power plants.  We have a loose association with the Idaho National Laboratory here.  As part of the program, the students will actually spend the last (summer) semester at the variuos INL sites and complete a checklist of radation technican tasks.

I have some OLD instrumentation that I am told works.  Specifically, an Eberline SAC-4 alpha scintallaion counter, a Tennelec LB1000, Technical Associates Model MGP-5AB Gas flow proportional, various types of friskers (ludlum M177, eberline RM20, etc.), and some ion chamber and GM beta/gamma survey instruments.

I would like to get your input on the types, number and strength of check sources I should get for my program.  I would like for the students to perform the normal daily/weekly checks of the portable instruments; plateau, chi-squared and simple calibration of the gas flow/scintillation/gm tube counters.

We do not have a radioactive material license so the sources would have to meet exempt status.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Why not talk with the folk at INL in charge of the RP program?  I'm sure they even have some sources they would be glad to share or give to you.
If you need some names, send me a PM.

alphadude

contact new mexico military institute. they have a wide variety of old button sources and misc. exempt material for you to use. They can send you all they have except the thorium nitrate.  they will be glad to get it off their hands. the treasure chest includes natural materials and other items that are legal to own with out rm lisc.  another method is to make your own with smoke detectors and thorium mantles. they work great and are stable for a while.  you can take them to someone whose is traceable and document it as a standard.  since you are not doing rocket science it will work great for you.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
contact new mexico military institute. they have a wide variety of old button sources and misc. exempt material for you to use. They can send you all they have except the thorium nitrate.  they will be glad to get it off their hands. the treasure chest includes natural materials and other items that are legal to own with out rm lisc.  another method is to make your own with smoke detectors and thorium mantles. they work great and are stable for a while.  you can take them to someone whose is traceable and document it as a standard.  since you are not doing rocket science it will work great for you.

Do you have a contact there? If so please PM me with the info. Thanks in advance.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?