Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Site Outages  

Author Topic: Site Outages  (Read 10836 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Site Outages
« on: Jul 27, 2007, 02:59 »
You may have noticed that NukeWorker has had a few service interruptions this week.  Our database server is not behaving properly.   When I contacted the people we rent a dedicated server from to resolve the situation, there service was very poor.  Basically, they told me that they wouldd get to me when they could.  The site has been inaccessible for 24 out of the last 72 hours.  I am at the point where I am screaming at them (as if that would help).

Every problem has a solution.  The solution we have found will cost us 5 times what we are currently paying for a dedicated server (and a cheap dedicated server is expensive).  We have found a new dedicated server provider that is selling "fanatical service".  So, we should eventually resolve all issues.

Moving to a new server is no easy task, even for a small site.  NukeWorker is not a small site.  The transition will be VERY difficult.  But in the end, we will have a more reliable product.

We have all come to rely on NukeWorker being here for us 24/7, like a trusty security blanket.  For some it is an anchor, in a crazy sea of traveling.  For others, it is a trusty connection to our friends, family and co-workers.  And some people just like to see how quickly they can spin others up in the Gold Members areas (Dave Warren).  NukeWorker is a constant source of news, gossip, and of course JOBS.

I will pay any cost necessary to maintain that reliability.

If you experience any outages or just ‘odd’ stuff in the next week or two, know that we are working on a solution.  When we move the data and files to the new server, we have to go in and edit every application that runs on NukeWorker, and adapt them to their new environment.  That will take several days.  Once that is finished, we have to point the domain name to the new server.  – That’s the point where it gets tricky.  – Some domain name servers will still point to the old server for a few days until every domain name server in the world points to the new server.  We will have to ‘turn off’ the old site, so people don’t post data on it.  I’ll try to time it so the PLANNED server outage will only be 2 days, and over a weekend.  But things don’t always go as planned.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2007, 07:25 by RDTroja »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Site Outages
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2007, 11:05 »
Well, I've signed the contract at the new provider.  I'm in the middle of setting up ther server.  I'm also downloading the site from the old server.  I've been downloading all day, and we are about 50% finished.  Then I have to UPLOAD it to the new home.  That will go slower, probably 48 hours or so.

I expect to have all the files moved around monday, if nothing goes wrong.  I'll spend the week testing the new server, and editing all the software so that it can function in its new home.

I plan to try the actual transition of the domain name friday after COB.  So, hopefully by monday, all DNS servers will point to the new server.  The new server is located here:

http://66.216.91.95/

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2007, 04:34 »
Status update:

I need some sleep.
The Domain name server has been updated (i.e. typing nukeworker.com takes you to the new server)
The forum is working
the photo gallery is working
the adserver is working
the quiz is working

the job board is still under construction, but working

The news may or may not be working
the maps are not working
the online store is not working
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2007, 04:42 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2007, 05:42 »
I think the job board is back at 100%.  You should login to your account and check for errors.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2007, 05:43 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2007, 11:08 »
We have everything but the online store back up.  The online sotre does not get a lot of use, so its ok that it takes me an extra day or two...

I have to make a fgew pages look 'nices, the banner ads are out of order, but other than that, we are looking good.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2007, 04:54 »
Keep up the good work! Thats why you make the BIG bucks.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2007, 04:55 by Mike McFarlin »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2007, 05:10 »
I think I have the banners all sorted out.  If you visit a page that looks FUBAR, let me know.

I decided to redo the shop from 'scrach' using the other one as a go-by.  As the older one had some bugs, i fugured this was a good time to start anew.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2007, 01:11 »
New Server Update:

Last night I get a message from the server, that it was refusing connections.  So I changed some settings on the server (allowed more connections), then I edited the web sites software to turn off persistent connections.  -- It seems to have helped.

I reviewed the server load, and things look incredible, the CPU is sitting at 1% usage, and memory is at 15% used, the hard drive is at about 20%:

CPU load averages 1.00 (1 min) 1.07 (5 mins) 0.96 (15 mins)
Real memory 1.98 GB total, 310.57 MB used
Virtual memory 1 GB total, 8.09 MB used
Local disk space 457.46 GB total, 97.73 GB used

Looks like we have a lot of room for growing.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2007, 09:31 by Rennhack »

Austria

« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2007, 04:13 »
I reviewed the server load, and things look incredible, the CPU is sitting at 1% usage, and memory is at 15% used, the hard drive is at about 20%:

CPU load averages 1.00 (1 min) 1.07 (5 mins) 0.96 (15 mins)
Real memory 1.98 GB total, 310.57 MB used
Virtual memory 1 GB total, 8.09 MB used
Local disk space 457.46 GB total, 97.73 GB used

Man....I don't know what any of that means. But if you're happy, I'm happy. Kudos, karma and many thanks for working so hard to maintain such a great site!  8)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2007, 04:41 »
Man....I don't know what any of that means. But if you're happy, I'm happy. Kudos, karma and many thanks for working so hard to maintain such a great site!  8)

Loosely translated it is a geek's wet drream.

Congrats on the new hardware/software/geek fantasy, Mike. And my yearly 'great job' to ya. I am not sure how we all got along in the years BNW.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?