Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Checking in/Tiger cruise?
honeypot

Author Topic: Checking in/Tiger cruise?  (Read 16893 times)

proud dad

Checking in/Tiger cruise?
« on: Aug 07, 2007, 01:13 »
Hi,folks.My name is Alan and I have been lurking on your site since JUN05 when my son left for Great Lakes. I am impressed with the amount of info that is able to be gathered here. Every question I had, plus some I did not think of, about his path through the pipeline is here in the fourm. Not being in the industry,I saw no need to become a member untill I had a question I could not find.After Joining, becoming a gold member was a no brainer.I have recieved way more than $35 worth of info and piece of mind over the past two years.I have read most if not all the threads in navy nuke:Shayne,if this post is in the wrong place,please move it to where it belongs(if there is such a place).HydroDave6, 7578 current members, located in the members list.Broadzilla,I have searched untill my fingers bled. I will going on a tiger cruise on an carrier in a few weeks and I have no idea what to expect.Is there any info anybody has as to what to bring,what to do,what is expected of me,what to wear.Any info would be wonderfull.Thank you for your time,Alan

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Checking in/Tiger cruise?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2007, 07:54 »
It sounds like the "dependents cruise" that surface ships (targets) did way back - if so, look forward to a few days seeing what your son does, expect to get a new appreciation of how he has grown...Generally light time at sea, with the intent on sharing the experience with family. Your son should get a briefing from his LPO, with answers to most of your questions.

Try a google search also - http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=12101
this one came up, and actually was about a carrier (I didn't read it, just found it for you)

Congrats on your son's progress to the fleet. Thank him for his service. We appreciate it.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

mlslstephens

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2007, 09:05 »
Hi,folks.My name is Alan and I have been lurking on your site since JUN05 when my son left for Great Lakes. I am impressed with the amount of info that is able to be gathered here. Every question I had, plus some I did not think of, about his path through the pipeline is here in the fourm. Not being in the industry,I saw no need to become a member untill I had a question I could not find.After Joining, becoming a gold member was a no brainer.I have recieved way more than $35 worth of info and piece of mind over the past two years.I have read most if not all the threads in navy nuke:Shayne,if this post is in the wrong place,please move it to where it belongs(if there is such a place).HydroDave6, 7578 current members, located in the members list.Broadzilla,I have searched untill my fingers bled. I will going on a tiger cruise on an carrier in a few weeks and I have no idea what to expect.Is there any info anybody has as to what to bring,what to do,what is expected of me,what to wear.Any info would be wonderfull.Thank you for your time,Alan

Proud Dad,
Congratulations to your son.  The pipeline is long and I know he is happy to be done...now on to the good stuff.  Being a submariner I don't know much about Carrier Dependent cruises but the I know the basics.  My dad accompanied me on a Tiger Cruise several years back.  He still talks about it today. 

Wear comfortable clothes and shoes.  Don't pack much, you won't need it.  Don't expect to see your son work, you won't be allowed to go to the engine room.  However, if he isn't qualified, then you might get to spend some quality time with him.

Hope this helps,

Mike <><

navytwinmom

« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2007, 10:27 »
Welcome to the site!! I know as a parent I know get a ton of information from here and of course all the mods and posters are great!! So glad you are now posting!!

I did not know about this "Tiger Cruise" thing...i can not wait until i can go on a real working Navy ship!! My only problem would be i would want to help all the men and woman out...do laundry or cook or something...guess it is the mom in me  :P

I think it would also be very interesting to chat with the other navy moms and dads on board...swap bootcamp and pipeline stories with them.

Thanks for coming aboard the boards...oh my gosh i made a navy joke...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  :-[ :-[ :-[

Have a great day!!

mlslstephens

« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2007, 12:16 »
Are the twins going subs or targets???

Almost impossible for moms, girlfriends, aunts, or the like to go out on subs anymore.  They are pretty much limited to Tiger cruises these days.  Security concerns. :(

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2007, 01:35 »
From the sounds of it and from the timing I am guessing your son is on the Stennis in reactor department.  Well, you just happen to be in some luck being that I am from the Stennis and just flew off a couple of months ago and probably know your son.  What's his name by the way?  Anyways, to prepare for the tiger cruise I will tell you what i told my dad when he went back in 2004.  I know they are doing one from Hawai to San Diego and San Diego to Bremerton.  I would hope you are doing the one from Hawaii to San Diego since the airwing will be off in San Diego, and the airwing is pretty much the purpose of a carrier.  Anyways, the most important item to bring with you is a pair of shower shoes, rubber flip flops to be exact.  Believe me the shower on a carrier is the last place you want to be bare foot.  Another thing would be to bring at least a weeks worth of underwear and socks.  I think the cruise will be about five days long so your gonna want extra.  I would also bring a very small compact sleeping bag that you can roll up.  Also, for all the stuff you are bringing on I would use a large backpack, since storing luggage will be a pain, something you can rull up and place in a locker.  Other than that, just the typical things you would bring on a week long vacation.  Three things to emphansize though would be shower shoes, extra socks and probably something to read/crosswords.  You will have a lot of extra time on board so you will want something to due.  My dad was excited for about two days, then was in his rack sleeping as much as I was.  As far as things to expect... expect to stand in line to shower and to eat, nasty toilets and most importantly the food you will be eating is no where near as bad as what they normally eat.  The galley staff try to put there best foot foward when they have family on board.  If you have any other questions you can Pm me and I will do my best to help.

-Adam 

Wirebiter

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2007, 10:22 »
Ditto here with my dad and I back in '98, although it was on a sub.  In addition to the many great recommendations already mentioned, I would like to suggest a disposable camera.  Some places will be off limits, but you will want many pictures to show the family.  A few extra dollars might be a good thing too.  The ship's store has many souvenirs that may be hard to find later when you are off the boa..err ship. 

Good luck and I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

-Rob

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2007, 10:48 »
My man, you'll never see me tell a parent, dependent, or sibling to use the search function. You aren't in the industry or the Navy so there's lots of stuff that is alien to you. It's better in my view just to answer your question and put your mind at ease.

I think it's a dependent cruise. We on the USS Richard Brevard Russell never did them :(

Mike

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2007, 11:00 »
my brother went with me. he had the time of his life!  bring money for ships stores yes.  it is kinda fun just to show up like my bro did and get what you get.  it is so fun, you will love it.  we put my bro in a poopy suit bcause everybody already knew him (used to come up and pay bball with everyone), he was like one of the crew in a way!  sweet.

proud dad

« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2007, 03:39 »
Hi everyone,Thank you for your replies
  Adam,Your "guess" is correct.That must be why the navy lets you nukes play with the expensive toys,you can figure out stuff.I am not sure I should give the names of navy personel on a public fourm.My sons nickname at power school was"Mac". Since it is related to his(our) name,it most likley stuck.If you know him.let me know.I will be going from Pearl to San Diego on the tiger cruise.looking forward to a good time. thank you for your info.
  Mike, my prior post was in no way ment to be negitive.I was trying to establish non earned and not deserved bona-fides and a bit of humor.In the past two years I have read every post in the navy nuke section.You are correct most if not all questions have been answered by prior posts.I must ask,why should someone not in the navy or industry be exempt from bring told to search.If they make the effort to visit this site and are not willing to spend the time to search,I feel that they should be told. I have enjoyed reading your posts and respect your knowledge.I hope you enjoyed your time on ssn687(I searched) And thank you for your service.Alan

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2007, 10:18 »
Sorry, the nickname doesn't ring a bell.  I worked down in Reactor training and gave a lot of the new guys BNEQ lectures.  There was one that might match a little bit though now that I think of it.  Kinda a bigger guy and married maybe?  RM division? 

Another thing, I'm not sure how they are doing it now, but they don't except money on the ship anymore.  they use a thing called navy cash which is a credit card with a chip that you out money on.  I doubt they will give everyone that is coming along for the tiger cruise a cash card but it might be included in the registration.  If not, have your son but money on his chip ahead of time.  You don't want to know what the line is like to put money on those things especially when they have to issue a bunch of new ones.  if you want PM, I still have my navy cash card that I can't use and I'll just give it to you, if not I am just going to throw it away.

LaFeet

« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2007, 12:45 »
Tiger Cruise... wow   bring up the tears.....

I was oh so fortunate to get my Father on the Maryland (Blue) for our first tigercruise back in the late 90s......  It was a hoot for him, being an old ATC /ET in the Air Force.   The crew were great and treated him like a God.... too bad I had to stand watch for the entire time back aft.  I did manage to sneak (properly relieved of course) forward and check on him.

I lost my Dad a short time later.... just wished the CNO and DNR would have cleared him for an aft tour..... Love you Dad

s1wlightning@msn.com

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2007, 02:36 »
So, your tiger cruise is over now.  Let us all know how things went while you were on board and if your son qualified Chief Reactor Watch yet or if he's still a DINQ Nubling.

proud dad

« Reply #13 on: Aug 31, 2007, 07:09 »
Hi all, tiger cruise was wonderfull.Just got back to computer (friends) so this post will be short.I will be home in 5-6 days and will tell stories,ask a few questions,give some advice and have one rant (nuke related,not cruise).A couple of things that need to be stated now.Re: Adam, the sugestion for the sleeping bag was great. I have know idea what navy blankets are made of,but I think it is fiberglass insolation,asbestos left over from the diesel boats,and shaved sheep hoves (so they can call it wool).Mine went to the end of my rack and my $10.00 overnight bag from WM was great. After talking to my son(I might be talking out of school here) he and his cronies have labeled you as one of the good guys. From what I understand there are not many of you. Keep the same attitude and you will go far in ANYTHING you do Thanks everyone,Alan

LDO4CNO

« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2007, 08:38 »
PD,  when you refer to the "Navy Blankets", I take it that you are refering to the ultrathin ugly grey or its suitable ugly relative green cloth.  You did figure out the contents accurately though!

These arent blankets.  Try folding one into a uniform square and you will find it is impossible.  The only practical use for these products is to stretch them tight over your poker table for a good playing surface.

I am sure your cruise was a blast!

proud dad

« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2007, 02:46 »
Hi folks, sorry for the delay,I recived a PM from RAD DAD and that sort of kicked me in the butt to continue my story.BTW how does the karma thing work.RAD DAD has 8 pages and 178 replies to the thread he started and ony 1 karma point,I will figure out how to give him one more but what are the normal qualifications for getting one?
  I have done a few cool things in my life,but none can conpare to the tiger cruise,the massiveness of the equipment,the pride and training of the sailers,the perfection of the aircrew and ground support,the cleanliness and maintenance of the reactor compartments(just kidding,was not allowed there but they need a plug also).I would recomend that anyone that has a chance to go, do it.from what I understand it is not limmited to parents:aunts uncles,neighbors,friends etc can go all you need is a sponser on board.Be nice to the kid that cuts your lawn.
  As to info before you go, if you don't have satilite internet(I do) go to your sponsers ship web site(I cant) cvnxx.navy.mil  The Stennis site had 21 pages of info, most everything you will need.
  A few things not on the web page.First and formost,realise and be aware that although you are on vacation,you are not on a cruise ship.You will be on a warship that is doing warship things.you will have an unbelievable amount of freedom to wander around and explore.Be aware of your suroundings.You will have many chances on the flight deck or hanger bay to bash your head on an aircraft wing or trip over a tiedown.Bring a digital camera with a case.Put a spare memory card and spare batteries in the case,when it your turn to be on vutures row watching flight ops is bad time tohave your batteries die.
  As for preporation before you go,this is my best advice.Go to either WalMart or HomeDepot on a sunday early afternoon with a list of 10 items.Park as far from the front door as possible.pick out your first item,pay for it and take it to your car. return and repete for item #2.Do the same for #3 thru 10.This training will serve two purposes.One, it will train you how to stand in line. I think on the ship they have lines to get in line.Second, observe the people wandering around aimlessly,changing direction at random,blocking the ailes.You know where I am going with this,dont do be like them.I dont know how it is during deployment,but at the end there is a lot of material being moved and staged for unloading.
 As I mentioned before,you will have a lot of feedom.Explore,on the Stennis we were issued a qual book:find the ships laundry,go to the air wing ready rooms,tour the jet shop plus many more,dont stop at what is in the book,explore,talk to the sailers,they are proud of what they do and will be happy to explain how their job is the most important job on the ship.I was amazed that after 8+ months at sea and 5 days from home how helpful and proud they were.Its getting late and I am starting to ramble so I am done for now.If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer.Thanks Alan

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2007, 06:30 »
Hi folks, sorry for the delay,I recived a PM from RAD DAD and that sort of kicked me in the butt to continue my story.BTW how does the karma thing work.RAD DAD has 8 pages and 178 replies to the thread he started and ony 1 karma point,I will figure out how to give him one more but what are the normal qualifications for getting one?

Karma is for Goldmembers (paid subscriptions) to bestow.

And your Walmart advice is priceless. I hope everyone that goes on a Tiger Cruise is as enthusiastic as you, Sir. And tell your son I appreciate his service.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?