Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ANPEO testing help or advice

Author Topic: ANPEO testing help or advice  (Read 12426 times)

groovespacer

ANPEO testing help or advice
« on: Aug 07, 2007, 01:58 »
I applied for the apprentice nuclear power plant equipment operator test for Southern California Edison and recently passed their mass/poss test. This comming week they require me to study about 600 pages of material on physics, fluids, and thermodynamics. I never encountered this type of material before except for physics. The material is really well written but there is simply not enough time for me to learn all this unfamiliar material in such a small time frame. If anyone has taken the test before of have a clue what they expect on the test, please fill me in. My previous background is computers and also pole climbing training to be a lineman. I am interested in getting a job in the power industry. Any hints or advice will be well recieved.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: ANPEO testing help or advice
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2007, 11:04 »
There are a LOT of discussion threads already existing on this topic.  Please use the search feature to find them.

Just a hint from several of the discussion threads: The POSS/MASS is really there to assess what knowledge you carry around with you. It's not a test you can (or should) cram in a week. It is there to give the employer the ability to assess whether the applicant would be able to think on the fly, truly understand a schematic or one-line diagram, do basic math on a batch mix in a chem add tank, correctly disassemble/reassemble something,etc. If you have specific questions after a search, lots of us here will be glad to answer.

I have some knowledge of that site...they have released people in the last month of probation for academics. Be sure that Ops is really the path that you want. It's challenging, yet rewarding. And the view ain't bad either ;)

groovespacer

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2007, 05:40 »
If you re-read my post it says I already passed the mass/poss. I really just need information on how extensive the knowledge part of the test will be. I will be tested on Thermodynamics and fluids, which I have no previous encouter with. They gave me 600 pages of material to study. Anyone with experience please help.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2007, 06:56 »
heat xchangeers - http://www.cheresources.com/shell_tube_heat_exchanger_1.shtml

http://www.cheresources.com/uexchangers.shtml

know the difference between convection, conduction, radiation

learn about latent heat of vaporization, really understand what "latent" means

understand "laminer flow" understand "head loss"

understand "closed" and "open" system

understand diffrence between positive displacement and centrifugal pump and what pump is good for wht purpose

understand importance of density of a fluid in systems

don't memorize, but understand why Bernoulli's equation works and what it is

know difference between K C F Rankine

i'll post some more if i remember.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2007, 06:58 »
let me know if this helps, if you want more, just pm me, I'll put some more down for you.

groovespacer

« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2007, 11:28 »
I am sorry but there must be some miscommunication, I thought my posts were pretty clear. I said I know what to study(fluids and thermodynamics). Edison gave me 600 pages worth of material found here http://www.westrain.org/fp_objects.asp?obj=73&sed=False
I do not need more material. I was looking for how hard can the test be if they only give me 10 days to study 600 pages worth of material that I know nothing about. I am also looking for tips during the test on what to expect. What kind of formulas should I know by heart?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2007, 12:31 »
don't know EXACTLY, sorry.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2007, 10:07 »
ham, that was just like a "thank you"...only a lot different ! Karma to ya for trying though!

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2007, 10:35 »
I am sorry but there must be some miscommunication, I thought my posts were pretty clear. I said I know what to study(fluids and thermodynamics). Edison gave me 600 pages worth of material found here http://www.westrain.org/fp_objects.asp?obj=73&sed=False
I do not need more material. I was looking for how hard can the test be if they only give me 10 days to study 600 pages worth of material that I know nothing about. I am also looking for tips during the test on what to expect. What kind of formulas should I know by heart?

600 Pages in 10 days is nothing. Hope you can assimilate information and take a test a LOT faster than that.

Take your average week in Licensed Class. Say 4 systems a day, 50 pages per system per text. Plus procedures and prints. Oh and Tech Specs. Then a test on Friday. If they gave you 600 pages they'll expect some mastery or knowledge on all of it.

Mike

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2007, 12:18 »
yeah, no doubt, I didn't see the 10 day thing.  600 pages and you already know physics?  you should be fine.  it is just ONE subject.  horse yourself up dude, just get into it, live and breathe that 600 pages for the next 10 days and you should know the stuff better than us.

learn the CONCEPTS, don't memorize.  if you don't understand a word or a phrase, look it up. it will be tedious, but 10 days is easy. 60 pages a day. if you see some crazy stuff that is way to hard, bypass it, circle or mark it, and go on.  when you are done with the 600 pages, then go back.  should be able to fully understand 90% of it easy.

you will use this knowledge for the rest of your career, so really learn it now, or go climb a pole.

Arkane

« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2007, 06:03 »
I am also applying for the ANPEO position.  Did you take the knowledge test already?  How did it go?

I just took the MASS/POSS test this past weekend.  We're supposed to get the results today or tomorrow and the Knowledge Test is also in two weeks.  I've been studying the material for a few weeks already since I'm confident I can pass the MASS/POSS (knocks on wood). 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?