Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Have any ex-Navy Nukes become teachers?

Author Topic: Have any ex-Navy Nukes become teachers?  (Read 6839 times)

millerUSC

Have any ex-Navy Nukes become teachers?
« on: Aug 17, 2007, 02:03 »
I was wondering if anyone out there has made the transition to being something like a math teacher.

My deal is, I'm an ENS at Power School with a non-tech degree (nor an education degree), but the thought has crossed my mind that in the very distant future, I'd like to teach math.  I'm just wondering what degrees or credentials I should pursue to make that a possibility.

I know it's a silly question, bc my first priority is for me to get through school and get qualled, but I guess I should plan financially to save for what I want to do in the future.  But if anyone can let me know what I should do while I'm in the fleet, I'd really appreciate it. 

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Have any ex-Navy Nukes become teachers?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2007, 02:10 »
Depends on were you want to teach at. Every state has different rules regarding the qualifications of eduactors. I have been told that you don't even need a 4 year degree in SC, only requiered to be persuing one

alphacookie

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2007, 05:04 »
This link should help.

http://www.proudtoserveagain.com/

It is called Troops to Teachers.  While I was in TAP class, a gentleman who became a teacher through this program said it was worth it, if you REALLY want to become a teacher.  Schools are REALLY looking for ex-military to teach math and sciences.  The fact that you are a "nuke" is a plus.  Teaching is a rough job that does not pay well.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2007, 08:39 »
Teaching is a rough job that does not pay well.

Of course if your goal is to teach, not necessarily teach youth / children, then you could use your experience as an instructor for nuclear power (Navy or Commercial or DOE). Commercial and DOE pay much better than high school...
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

navytwinmom

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2007, 11:50 »
My sons favorate teacher in high school was an ex navy nuke plus he worked at NASA for a while. He teaches Physics...and is a wonderful teacher. Makes very complicated stuff easy to understand and makes it fun.

I think it is one of the main reasons the boys picked the Navy and the Nuke program.

Thank you for your service to the country and i hope in the future to our children also

Have a great day

D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?