Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu They say "Timing is everything" honeypot

Author Topic: They say "Timing is everything"  (Read 28389 times)

Fermi2

Re: They say "Timing is everything"
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2007, 01:52 »
I help with hiring. I've seen the data on POSS examinations. It's not a rectal pluck.

So far as I know I never once said Navy Operators do poorly in the Commercial Industry. What I SAID was personnel from other backgrounds tend to do just as well if not better. I also stated what an EOOW in the Navy does is not at all comparable to what an SRO does in the commercial world. This is a fact. Being a USN Nuke is not a prerequisite for success in the commercial world.

I really wish someone would point out where I said being a distribution operator is easy. Oddly I can't find that post. I do know one of my ex NLOs is working as a Shift Supervisor at my companies Load Distribution Center and he flat out says it's a lot easier. This guy is one of the best people I ever had working for me. Compared to the day to day grind of a Nuke Control Room it IS easy.

Justin, remember I'm an ex BWR guy so if you need any help just let me know!

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2007, 02:16 »
I help with hiring. I've seen the data on POSS examinations. It's not a rectal pluck.

So far as I know I never once said Navy Operators do poorly in the Commercial Industry. What I SAID was personnel from other backgrounds tend to do just as well if not better. I also stated what an EOOW in the Navy does is not at all comparable to what an SRO does in the commercial world. This is a fact. Being a USN Nuke is not a prerequisite for success in the commercial world.

I really wish someone would point out where I said being a distribution operator is easy. Oddly I can't find that post. I do know one of my ex NLOs is working as a Shift Supervisor at my companies Load Distribution Center and he flat out says it's a lot easier. This guy is one of the best people I ever had working for me. Compared to the day to day grind of a Nuke Control Room it IS easy.

Justin, remember I'm an ex BWR guy so if you need any help just let me know!

Mike

Mike,

Thanks and I appreciate the insights.

Justin

emnuke

« Reply #27 on: Nov 09, 2007, 03:17 »
You don't need any electrical background at all to be an STO or GRid Operator. The best ones are those who have experience in the Commercial Industry whether it be at a Nuke or a Dirt Burner.

Mike

Naw--us Grid Operators/System Operators don't need any electrical background at all to control thousands of volts going through wires to evry major city in the US

30378wby

« Reply #28 on: Nov 20, 2007, 06:46 »
I would just summarize that my experience is completely at odds with anyone claiming that each and every non-ex Navy person performs as well or better than an ex-Navy person.

Fermi2

« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2007, 10:28 »
Who said every person of any background is better than every person of any other background?

Best grid Operator I ever knew was an ex Navy Mechanic, no real electrical experience whatsoever.

Give me a week, 10 days tops and I'd be as good as any grid operator in the country.

Mike

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #30 on: Nov 23, 2007, 10:26 »
I am an ex MM1/SS and the last group of ex navy nukes that were hired to fill a NLO class here came across like they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. We even had one that was trying to tell us that Naval Nuclear Power School was harder and more intense then even commerical lisenced class. He hadn't even been to licensed class. He had only been hired about a week. I had to just laugh at him. My HLO class is through GFES and almost done with systems. I can confidently say the two training programs are not even on the same level. HLO class is the hardest thing I have done.  Doesn't help being an instant SRO and a PWR guy now at a BWR.

Fermi2

« Reply #31 on: Nov 24, 2007, 10:31 »
Initial License Training is probably one of the most intense and hardest training programs in the world. Naval Nuclear Training is nursery school in comparison.

So how do you like the concept of control rods moving up in order to scram the reactor?

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #32 on: Nov 24, 2007, 04:40 »
Initial License Training is probably one of the most intense and hardest training programs in the world. Naval Nuclear Training is nursery school in comparison.

So how do you like the concept of control rods moving up in order to scram the reactor?

Mike

Yup I have to agree with what everyone has said so far. My first 5 months... wait... my only 5 months in the commercial world so far have been the hardest 5 months ever in my nuclear career. NNPP is a good start, but not even close to the level of initial license training. (The first 2 weeks were basically a review of everything I ever learned in the NNPP, to give some perspective. It just took off from there.)

Justin

Justin

emnuke

« Reply #33 on: Nov 24, 2007, 05:05 »
Who said every person of any background is better than every person of any other background?

Best grid Operator I ever knew was an ex Navy Mechanic, no real electrical experience whatsoever.

Give me a week, 10 days tops and I'd be as good as any grid operator in the country.

Mike
Har dee har har--you are a legend in your own mind Mike ;D ;D

Fermi2

« Reply #34 on: Nov 24, 2007, 08:00 »
Actually, It's the truth. Has nothing to do with being delusional. I've seen idiots become good grid operators and I am far from being an idiot. A week, ten days I would be as good as any grid operator in the country.

Mike

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #35 on: Nov 24, 2007, 11:43 »
Viper: In case some of you are wondering who the best is, they are up here on this plaque. [turns to Maverick] Do you think your name will be on that plaque?
Maverick: Yes sir.
Viper: That's pretty arrogant, considering the company here, don't you think?
Maverick: Yes sir.
Viper: I like that in a pilot.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #36 on: Nov 25, 2007, 08:46 »
Looks like we need a "Legends of Commercial Nuclear Power" calender

Fermi2

« Reply #37 on: Nov 25, 2007, 12:47 »
Looks like we need a "Legends of Commercial Nuclear Power" calender

LOL

However I stand by my assertion that within 10 days I'd be as good as any grid operator in the country.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #38 on: Nov 25, 2007, 03:16 »

LOL

However I stand by my assertion that within 10 days I'd be as good as any grid operator in the country.

Mike

Vegas is laying 3.5 to 1 in favor with an 8 day over under. I take Mike for 7 days. Anyone else?  ;D

Justin

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2007, 04:01 »
Vegas is laying 3.5 to 1 in favor with an 8 day over under. I take Mike for 7 days. Anyone else?  ;D

Justin

I'm in, my money's on Mike in 6  8)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

admiral202

« Reply #40 on: Nov 30, 2007, 01:19 »
what about unemployent?  massachusetts is offering almost 600$ a week plus 25$ per dependent.  but you might not max out.  it is easier to max out in PA and they are over 500$. not a huge amount of money but enough to tide you over possibly until you get a job. when I started working at Brunswick as an AO I wasn't making so much more than that, but it ain't 1997 anymore, but inflation hasn't went up that much. think about it. save some $$$$ and use unemployment, you've earned it. plus you can take a small break before you begin work again.

I agree. Everyone says they want to jump right into a job, but when it's all said and done, there is a huge weight lifted off your shoulders when you leave and a big sigh of relief.  Taking some time to really look hard at your options and some much needed rest may give you time to wind down and make better decisions on what you really want to do with the rest of your life.  The transition isn't as easy as you may think from a mental standpoint. 

Save some money for when you leave, apply for school and do some traveling.  That's my recommendation.  Use the unemployment services too.  It will help you out.  I used unemployment while waiting for the fall semester to arrive (got out in March).

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #42 on: Dec 15, 2007, 12:57 »
Here's your chance...

http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=59407626&JobTitle=Transmission+System+Dispatcher+-+Wadsworth%2c+OH++-+GOE07.1069&q=system+dispatcher&brd=1&cy=us&vw=b&AVSDM=2007-11-13+15%3a50%3a00&pg=1&seq=3

http://www.eei.org/practicetests/displayPage POSS or EEI System Operator/Power Dispatching Test, they seem to be the same.  I just finished all my quals for becoming a fully qualified NLO.  Maybe I should start a new qual path to learn some new material :)
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2007, 12:59 by Nutty Neutron »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?