Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Who knew OPS had to study??? ;) honeypot

Author Topic: Who knew OPS had to study??? ;)  (Read 17755 times)

Loose Screws

Who knew OPS had to study??? ;)
« on: Aug 22, 2007, 07:01 »
OPS 101: Anyone wanting to get into OPS better have good study habits and the ability to put their life on hold for several months!  So far so good with the training and I passed my electrical board today and have a big goofy grin on my face.  3 more orals to go!  Time sure does fly by but looking back seems like forever ago since I had secondary systems but it has only been a few months.

Loose Screws

Re: Who knew OPS had to study??? ;)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2007, 08:19 »
Sorry if my post is not clear but I am in the Assistant Unit Operator training class at BFN.  College was a breeze in comparison to the study load here but for the most part what we learn is very interesting.  I figured a few people had been through Oral Boards and could relate to the difficulty of the electrical systems.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2007, 11:03 »
Congrats,

Especially knowing you pass an electrical board at a 3 unit facility in a utility that has some of the most robust electrical distribution systems in the nation.

I remember the first time I saw just ONE of the Switchyards at Sequoyah, my first thought was HOLY you know what!

THEN I saw the inplant system and was floored.

Mike

stownsend

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2007, 11:15 »
I offer my congratulations to you and all the other ops personnel. Since reading these posts involving operations I have taken on much more respect and admiration to your job and general knowledge. Most of my experience with ops is "we just spilled primary water back there get someone to clean it up". Thanks for opening my eyes.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2007, 11:47 »
...Since reading these posts involving operations I have taken on much more respect and admiration to your job and general knowledge.... Thanks for opening my eyes.

I have had the same experience. Another benefit of NukeWorker.com is getting us all (I hope) to appreciate each other a bit more.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2007, 12:44 »
Congrats!  Although comparable, I thought the initial training was harder than college also. Sounds like BFN maybe even harder with oral boards and whatnot.

rlbinc

« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2007, 03:13 »
Congratulations on passing your board.
Many plants need to consider reviving Oral Boards. Exam questions tend to measure book knowledge, be it procedural or theory. Oral Boards allow topic variation necessary to evaluate overall plant knowledge. The big picture. Something we see missing from time to time these days.

Loose Screws

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2007, 01:20 »
Thanks!  I need to find a hobby now that I have a couple days free!   :P 

Next up is Turbines...I wonder if they slow transfer on under voltage??? ;D jk

Mike, how did you like the 120v system over here? 

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2007, 07:24 »
The 120V System and the DC System are spaghetti but DANG, coming from a plant where everything was break before make and wasn't as robust this is heaven. One thing TVA believed in was plenty of cross connects and alternate power supplies.

Mike

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2008, 12:48 »
Ressurecting a dead thread but....

Passed the electrical oral board today!!  I can now relate to this posters immense relief (less than a year later).  Fortunately, turbines is a nice break leading into Primary systems (or so I hear).

We're working it on through up here at WBN.  3 more boards to go...

PapaBear765

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2008, 07:16 »
My only experience being navy nuke, is the study material a similar setup in the commercial world?  That is, are there equivalents to an RPM, S&EPM, etc. with system chapters, operating procedures, and maintenance procedures?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2008, 08:21 »
Nothing like RPMs. Just book upon book of procedures, many different kinds. No system chapters. That is what tech manuals are for.

Speaking of studying, I class up Monday. wish me luck!

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?