Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Career Change

Author Topic: Career Change  (Read 75694 times)

VolPhoneMan

Career Change
« on: Aug 28, 2007, 01:38 »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post.  I have spent a couple days reading and looking around.  I got out of the Navy in 1998.  Spent 5 years and got a medical discharge (though with zero disability, go figure).  I finished my time as a ET2 and qualified SRO on the USS South Carolina.  I currently work for AT&T and make between 60 and 70k with a little overtime and really very little stress (compared to what navy drills were like).  However, I seem to have hit a ceiling where I work and am trying to work around it.  I am just a couple hours away from finishing a bachelors degree in nuclear technology from either TESC or Excelsior (trying to hash out the most efficient path right now).  I have looked around and though there is quite a bit of info on salary and careers etc, I just thought I would ask for some direct advice.  Assuming I stay in the South East, does swithching to a nuke career from a pretty cushy job making fairly good money sound like a good decision in the long run.  What is the upper limit on earnings in a nuke career? what is a realistic time frame for getting into a decent job? Am I going to have to take a pay cut to get into the industry?  Also, if anyone knows of the job market in East Tennesse area, some information on where to start searching for a job would be awesome.  Thanks in advance.  This site is wonderful, I wish I had found it or something like it on my way out of the navy.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: Career Change
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2007, 07:14 »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post.  I have spent a couple days reading and looking around.  I got out of the Navy in 1998.  Spent 5 years and got a medical discharge (though with zero disability, go figure).  I finished my time as a ET2 and qualified SRO on the USS South Carolina.  I currently work for AT&T and make between 60 and 70k with a little overtime and really very little stress (compared to what navy drills were like).  However, I seem to have hit a ceiling where I work and am trying to work around it.  I am just a couple hours away from finishing a bachelors degree in nuclear technology from either TESC or Excelsior (trying to hash out the most efficient path right now).  I have looked around and though there is quite a bit of info on salary and careers etc, I just thought I would ask for some direct advice.  Assuming I stay in the South East, does swithching to a nuke career from a pretty cushy job making fairly good money sound like a good decision in the long run.  What is the upper limit on earnings in a nuke career? what is a realistic time frame for getting into a decent job? Am I going to have to take a pay cut to get into the industry?  Also, if anyone knows of the job market in East Tennesse area, some information on where to start searching for a job would be awesome.  Thanks in advance.  This site is wonderful, I wish I had found it or something like it on my way out of the navy.

Welcome to NukeWorker  ;D and before you hear from BZ and Hydro  ;) let me just say, try the search function, most if not all of your questions have been asked and answered. Of course what you should do as far as giving up a "cushy job" vs. going into the power industry will not be answered and I don't think it can. That will be a personal choice decided by you after looking at the pro's and con's of each career path. Good Luck in your search of the site. 8)

Note courtesy of RDT:

On the site front page (click on the Home tab at the top of the page) there is a 'New Search Function' comment on the right. The is a somewhat hidden link (because it is blue on blue) just above where it says 'continue reading.' If you move your mouse over the link it will become a hand pointing at the link. Click when the hand appears. You should go right to the search page.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007, 07:18 by PWHoppe »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2007, 09:01 »
you might want to consider working elsewhere if you don't like stress.  as a technician or an unlicensed operator you can't make too much more than you are already making. to go beyond 100k you have to start thinking abount being a first line supervisor, licenesed operator, or working quite a bit of OT, especially in the south.  then you would be dealing with quite a bit of stress!  I've seen some indications that the pay hike that people who work in nuclear power seem to enjoy vs other industry is erroding compared to the way it used to be. that is just my opinion, and may not be the case. best case you could make close to 40 bucks an hour at a few nuc plants as a top technician, but usually the cost of living offsets the raise there. I think places like Indian Point and Diablo pay that much. So working moderate OT maybe you could make 95 a year BEST CASE? just a guess, but i don't know if it worth it to you to change jobs for that.

navytwinmom

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2007, 01:44 »
I currently work for AT&T and make between 60 and 70k with a little overtime and really very little stress....does swithching to a nuke career from a pretty cushy job making fairly good money sound like a good decision in the long run. 

Please take a nuke job and send me an application for your job...I would love a cushy low stress 60-70K job!!

Welcome to the site. Hope you find all the infomation you need

Take care

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2007, 02:11 »
Yes you should travel six to seventh months out of the year and enjoy the United States.  Stay in places like Homestead Fl, Forked River NJ, Waynesboro Ga, Peekskill, NY and Benton Harobur, MI.  Live the life of a traveling carnival.  Meet and work with interesting people.  Work 72 hours a week sometimes nightshift.  Treated at plants like a rock star.  Find Marijuna at your doorstep (homestead).  Cushy jobs are so boring get out and live.  It dont get no better than a traveling contractor.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2007, 04:23 »
Please take a nuke job and send me an application for your job...I would love a cushy low stress 60-70K job!!

Welcome to the site. Hope you find all the infomation you need

Take care

60 - 70K/year...Be a rent-a-tech and make 70 - 90K with the summer off.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2007, 05:05 »
Instrument Tech (MIG for TVA) at Sequoyah, Watts Bar, or Oak Ridge are possibilities to allow better income than you currently receive.
OPS is the other route open to a former SoCar ET2.

Either will not have a ceiling below $100K. Either will appreciate your degree, but OPS will appreciate it more.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

navytwinmom

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2007, 05:49 »
60 - 70K/year...Be a rent-a-tech and make 70 - 90K with the summer off.

Ahhhhhh but is it low stress and cushy??  :P

VolPhoneMan

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2007, 06:08 »
The first time I posted this it was pretty messed up looking (you can check out Roll Tide's post to see some of it)  I cleaned it up and now it is back in some semblance of English.

First a question for PWHoppe.  Why is it the initial response of a lot of mods on these boards to tell posters to do a search for answers to their questions?  While I appreciate this site and the information that is here, I really didn't become a member so that I can search through the thousands of threads on it.  I understand that you guys probably get tired of answering the same questions over and over, but that is the point of a discussion board is it not?  I wanted answers to some questions, so I posted them to what I thought was the appropriate thread.  Telling me to search for my answers seems to defeat the entire purpose of establishing the Forum in the first place.  Had I wanted to search for needles in world wide web hay stacks I would have went to google not nukeworker.  I hope I don’t sound rude.  I just wanted to point out that I didn’t just ask my questions in vacuum.  I spent about 3 nights reading posts.  There is just too much information to digest on this site, between not understanding half of the abbreviations and slang used, sifting through off topic replies, and not really knowing exactly what I am looking for, it is much easier to just ask. 

Navytwinmom,
 I know what you are saying and that is the crux of my post.  Am
I just seeing greener grass on the other side?  My job has some stress
and timelines involved, but we don't run drills, have simulators, or
federal inspectors.  However, as I also stated, I have seemingly reached an income ceiling.  So I am beginning to look around at other
options.  I make a decent living with little stress.  I wouldn’t mind the extra stress, I just want to make sure it is worth the trade.  I do like my good nights sleep  :)

hamsimich,
Who really likes stress?  I have never met a person that likes stress.  Also, I  didn't say that I didn't do well in stressful environments.  I just
wanted to know if the money was worth the extra effort.  If I make 60-70K with relatively low stress levels, I would need to make
at least mid 80s take a job that significantly increases my stress level. 
I really was hoping someone else who has made a similar transition could let me know if they thought it was worth it.

biloxoi blues,
good to see that sarcasm is alive and well in the nuclear power world.  I was beginning to miss it.  8)

Bat-Man,
What exactly is a rent-a-tech?

Roll Tide,
Thanks for the information!

I almost shudder to ask, since I know someone is dying to tell me to do a search for it since it has undoubtably already been asked, But where is the best place to start the process of getting a job at one
of your suggested sites.  Oak Ridge would be incredible since I wouldn't have to move to do that.  Any response would be appreciated, ie specific threads, websites, or your own personal advice.

Thanks to everyone for your posts.  Looking for employment never seems to be easy, but at least this site has put a lot of the information and helpful people at my fingertips.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007, 08:25 by VolPhoneMan »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2007, 06:50 »

I would call it "good stress and cushy"...  ;)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2007, 07:12 »

Roll|1974|1977
Tide|1979|1982
Thanks|1988|1993
for|1995|1997
the|1999|2001
information|2003|2013
almost|2019|2024
shudder|2026|2032
to|2034|2035
ask|2037|2039
since|2041|2045
know|2049|2052
someone|2054|2060
is|2062|2063
dying|2065|2069
to|2071|2072
tell|2074|2077
me|2079|2080
to|2082|2083
do|2085|2086
search|2090|2095
for|2097|2099
it|2101|2102
But|2106|2108
where|2110|2114
is|2116|2117
the|2119|2121
best|2123|2126
place|2128|2132
to|2134|2135
start|2137|2141
the|2143|2145
process|2147|2153
of|2155|2156
getting|2158|2164
job|2168|2170
at|2172|2173
one|2175|2177
of|2179|2180
your|2182|2185
suggested|2187|2195
sites|2197|2201
Oak|2205|2207
Ridge|2209|2213
would|2215|2219
be|2221|2222
incredible|2224|2233
since|2236|2240
wouldn't|2244|2251
have|2253|2256
to|2258|2259
move|2261|2264
to|2266|2267
do|2269|2270
that|2272|2275
Any|2279|2281
response|2283|2290
would|2292|2296
be|2298|2299
appreciated|2301|2311
ie|2314|2315
specific|2319|2326
thread|2328|2333
website|2336|2342
or|2345|2346
your|2348|2351
own|2353|2355
personal|2357|2364
advice|2366|2371
Thanks|2379|2384
to|2386|2387
everyone|2389|2396
for|2398|2400
your|2402|2405
posts|2407|2411
Looking|2415|2421
for|2423|2425
employment|2427|2436
never|2438|2442
seems|2444|2448
to|2450|2451
be|2453|2454
easy|2456|2459
but|2462|2464
at|2466|2467
least|2469|2473
this|2475|2478
place|2480|2484
as|2486|2487
put|2489|2491
lot|2495|2497
of|2499|2500
the|2502|2504
information|2506|2516
and|2518|2520
helpful|2522|2528
people|2530|2535
at|2537|2538
my|2540|2541
fingertips|2543|2552

OUCH! That hurts my eyes. But it is good to see how many times Roll Tide has been used on this site!

Anyway, I have never worked Oak Ridge, but would recommend checking the ORNL website for openings. Additionally, Bartlett bought NUMANCO, and NUMANCO provides lots of Instrument Techs. They advertise here, and their website would be the best place to start your search (look under jobs).

TVA is too cheap to advertise here this week: I am trying to push them into fixing that. Anyway, you could check their website on a weekly basis. From your current salary, expect a cut first year, break even second year, and make much more for as many years after that you are willing to work as AUO. Even more if you are willing to license (RO or SRO).

IF you never did RadCon in the Navy, you would have a long break-in period to become a "rent-a-tech" or RP Tech.

Good Luck. And feel free to ask for clarification for those specific questions that haven't been answered.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

VolPhoneMan

« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2007, 07:41 »
I am not sure what happened to my last post.  I tried the spell check feature and it seems to have just eaten my post and spit it out in that illegible form.  I actual had quite a long thought out post and am a little disappointed that it didn't post.  Thanks to everyone for their input, especially you Roll Tide.  Though being a life long Vols fan it does almost bring my physical pain to actually type "Roll Tide"  ;)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2007, 07:49 »
i agree, this is a discussion forum, let's discuss!  what i meant about the stress thing was if you have low stress now, you might not want to change jobs for the relatively small pay increase.  I haven't seen too many jobs where you make 100k without working a good bit of OT, don't know what tide is refering too, i don't know the pay scales at those plants, but unless you get a lic or become a supervisor/manager at the plants i've been at, usually the only way to top 100K is to work some OT. you may get close (not including OT) at a few plants but the cost of living is high at MOST of those plants.

tide, I'm curious, how much money are these people making you are refering to?

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2007, 07:59 »

To me. I have never taken a day of being an HP home with me. I was a Production manager for several years and then a marketing executive for an advertising agency. Either one of those jobs will recalibrate your stress tolorance in a hurry.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

VolPhoneMan

« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2007, 08:35 »
i agree, this is a discussion forum, let's discuss!  what i meant about the stress thing was if you have low stress now, you might not want to change jobs for the relatively small pay increase.  I haven't seen too many jobs where you make 100k without working a good bit of OT, don't know what tide is refering too, i don't know the pay scales at those plants, but unless you get a lic or become a supervisor/manager at the plants i've been at, usually the only way to top 100K is to work some OT. you may get close (not including OT) at a few plants but the cost of living is high at MOST of those plants.

tide, I'm curious, how much money are these people making you are refering to?
hamsamich,

Thanks for your response. I don't mind OT or moving into a Supervisor/manager position.  That is part of the reason I am unsatisfied with my job.  NO overtime opportunites, can't move from craft to management (including training) without an act of congress, and I am at the top payscale (at least in a non-sales position) for non-management for AT&T.  I am finishing my BS so I thought I would take a peak back in some doors I thought I had closed 10 years ago, and see if there any opportunities for me. 

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2007, 08:54 »
 :-\  What a decision to make!!!!  Ive been in the nuke field now for 7 years and love it.  (Former HP).  What ever you do dont work for a DOE site!!!!   >:(  Go work a commercial site and get appreciated for your degree and who you are.  8)  My family have been in the nuke industry for over 60 years and it has treated us really well.  The money has been great and the folks out there are some of the brightest and nicest in the world!! ;D  Yah there will be some stress, yah there will be some dose, yah there will be some days you wonder why you got into this field, but when its all said and done youll sit back and say like my father does, "Ive got no complaints."  :)  GO NUKE!!!!!!   

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2007, 08:57 »
I am not sure what happened to my last post. 

Though being a life long Vols fan it does almost bring my physical pain to actually type "Roll Tide"  ;)

Once again, "My plan is working!" I thought you were giving the results in some shorthand from the search feature (which lets you know how many smart alecks I am accustomed to working with).

As far as potential money out there, it goes pretty high for OPS. The AUO class (SGPO) hired at SQN 26 months ago will have members making over $90K this year, with all making at least $70K. Since their base is $30 an hour, that does mean some OT. But it is hard to not break $80K for a full year topped out (they weren't) with only the built in OT and an outage or two every year.

Similar discussion, an RO is hard-pressed to not make $100K per year.

Some make MUCH more, but the company does not want to have massive amounts of OT in the future. Just because one AUO will make $125K this year does not mean it will be available next year. Same for RO, but change the amount to $145K (if I remember correctly).

Supervision / management / SRO is another route, and the company would like for this to pay $100-120K. Either the OT must dry up, or people want to move up for the positions that will be available down the road (here or another place). Otherwise, SRO will command more $$$ down the road. (And that is before they build even one new plant to steal all the money-hungry operators!)  

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2007, 09:08 »
I was just saying no OT so you would have a real data point.  When you say someone makes so-and-so $$ per year, that doesn't mean much if you don't specify OT or not.  That's why I gave you $$$perHour figures. Usually 15% of OT is available, especially in Ops.

If you don't mind stress, then you will be in the $$$ compared to what you were making bfore as long as you pan out. being an ex-navy nuke (people will cringe for me saying this), you should at least be just fine as a technician or a non-lic. operator. I think the place for bang for your buck is I and C tech, unless you want rotating shift work, then operator would be good.  Stay away from opertations normally if you don't want to work a rotation. Oh, and on a side note, it seems to me it is easier to move to operations than it is to get out of operations once you are "in" a company, so take that into account. 

VolPhoneMan

« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2007, 10:53 »
okay, since I am getting some good responses here I am going to ask another question.  I have looked high and low for descriptions of the jobs available, and the various ways they relate to each other.  I have to admit that I am a bit confused by it all.  I get the gist that HP is something in the rad world and has some various lower level jobs to work through to get to that job.  Also I get that OPS is you basic watch standing operator.  What I need to ask is, "Is there a thread somewhere that breaks these down for each job and all the potential ways to work through a nuke career.  I see some threads about DOE jobs, NRC jobs, etc.  But I cannot find something that is a down and dirty flow chart type of thing.  People seem to throw terms like RCT and AUO around like they are fairly common terms, and even some of the guys that are still in the navy seem to understand the various jobs and the descriptions.  I must assume that this info is out there somewhere but I can't seem to find it.  And yes I have done searches, for things like career paths, job description,etc.  But I haven't found anything that really is a big picture overview of the nuke world careers.(which is what I am looking for).

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Aug 28, 2007, 11:36 »
On the site front page (click on the Home tab at the top of the page) there is a 'New Search Function' comment on the right. The is a somewhat hidden link (because it is blue on blue) just above where it says 'continue reading.' If you move your mouse over the link it will become a hand pointing at the link. Click when the hand appears. You should go right to the search page.
Pat,

There is a link to the search page on EVERY page of the site at the top:
Home | Search | Help | Advertising | Contact Us | Add to Favorites
And a search box at the bottom of EVERY page of the site.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Aug 28, 2007, 11:42 »
I am not sure what happened to my last post.  I tried the spell check feature and it seems to have just eaten my post and spit it out in that illegible form.  I actual had quite a long thought out post and am a little disappointed that it didn't post.  Thanks to everyone for their input, especially you Roll Tide.  Though being a life long Vols fan it does almost bring my physical pain to actually type "Roll Tide"  ;)

The spell check dosen't work yet, I turned it on for a few min to test it out.  The test didn't go so well ;)  Sorry about your pain.

The spell checker will return in a month or so when I update the software.  Then it will be back for good (for those that remember the old spell checker would come and go).  Our new server allows for the 'stock' spell checker to work (theoretically), so I won't have to hack it together as I did in the past, which led to it comming, and going.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 28, 2007, 11:53 »
Pat,

There is a link to the search page on EVERY page of the site at the top:
Home | Search | Help | Advertising | Contact Us | Add to Favorites
And a search box at the bottom of EVERY page of the site.

But those buttons don't link to the new and improved search page like the link I described does... unlessI am missing something (again).
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #22 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:35 »
HP, RP, RCT, Radcon, HPT, Navy 108; these are all terms for the same job depending on where you are at

DOE: RCT, Radcon

NRC (commercial plants): HP, RP, HPT

HP- Health Physics
RP- Radiation Protection
RCT Radiological Control Technician

those are the guys who monitor, document, and control the work in radiological areas.

We call ourselves Rent-a-techs because we come in during the outages, do our work and are kicked out on our xxxes when the job is done. then we spend three or four months at home receiving unemployment until the next batch of outages come up.

it's possible to make 40-60k or more per year on just the outages  unemployment not included. check the thread on Massachusetts combined wage claims 

work in the fall and spring usually

I've worked for both NRC and DOE sites, both have their pros and cons, DOE tends to have longer work.

you generally have to start as a JR tech and work your way up, there is about an $8 difference in pay

I'm sure someone else on the forum can explain the difference between AO,AUO, RO,SRO

also look into QA, QC, and engineering work
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #23 on: Aug 29, 2007, 10:58 »
to phind any job, go to

http://www.oalj.dol.gov/libdot.htm

click on

Parts of the Occupational Definition

'n fallo da directshuns.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Aug 29, 2007, 11:05 »
http://orangoo.com/spell/

good spell checker.

AU, AUO, AO, NPO, APO, NLO, NLPO= non-licensed nuclear plant operator

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #25 on: Aug 29, 2007, 11:53 »
But those buttons don't link to the new and improved search page like the link I described does... unlessI am missing something (again).
Click on the 'search' link at the very top.  It does go there.  The was the whole point of making that page.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Aug 29, 2007, 11:56 »
I have looked high and low for descriptions of the jobs available, and the various ways they relate to each other.  I have to admit that I am a bit confused by it all.  I get the gist that HP is something in the rad world and has some various lower level jobs to work through to get to that job.  Also I get that OPS is you basic watch standing operator.  What I need to ask is, "Is there a thread somewhere that breaks these down for each job and all the potential ways to work through a nuke career.  I see some threads about DOE jobs, NRC jobs, etc.  But I cannot find something that is a down and dirty flow chart type of thing.  People seem to throw terms like RCT and AUO around like they are fairly common terms, and even some of the guys that are still in the navy seem to understand the various jobs and the descriptions.  I must assume that this info is out there somewhere but I can't seem to find it.  And yes I have done searches, for things like career paths, job description,etc.  But I haven't found anything that really is a big picture overview of the nuke world careers.

Thats a good idea.

mlslstephens

« Reply #27 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:09 »

Initially, I was agreeing with you and I thought Rennhack had lost his mind.  Then I came to my senses and realized he designed it, he must know what he's talking about....I continued to search for the illusive "search" button and alas, at the extreme top of the page in size 8 font is the new and improved search button.  :)
Rennhack, thanks for the new feature and thanks for helping us less informed people find the useful tools.  This website continues to rock.

I do have a question, under the Forum tab, there continues to be a search feature; how does this search engine differ?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:22 »
I do have a question, under the Forum tab, there continues to be a search feature; how does this search engine differ?

I wrote a song about it, want to hear it?  Here it goes:

That search button, in the forum menu, in the forum only...searches the forum.  Further, it searches the part of the forum you are in.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2007, 12:23 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:33 »
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2007, 12:35 by Rennhack »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #30 on: Aug 29, 2007, 02:26 »
http://orangoo.com/spell/

good spell checker.

AU, AUO, AO, NPO, APO, NLO, NLPO= non-licensed nuclear plant operator

eye daunt no about this site.  it'll hilite yer misspellings, but duzzant give alternatives.  i yam tinking dat μsoft word wood give better spellchick.  four doze who knead it, any weigh.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Aug 29, 2007, 02:40 »
yes it does, just click on the word after you have it spell check. funny how people miss stuff like that even though it's right under your nose, huh?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #32 on: Aug 29, 2007, 05:59 »
Click on the 'search' link at the very top.  It does go there.  The was the whole point of making that page.

I just about need my 'old fart' glasses to see that one. Didn't see that particular tree in the forest.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Aug 29, 2007, 06:16 »
I'm sure someone else on the forum can explain the difference between AO,AUO, RO,SRO

I am sure I have done that before, but I guess it is time again.

AUO (Aux or Assistant Unit Operator) = NLO (Non-licensed Operator); these positions are the field operators. Not licensed by the NRC. Well-paid competent professionals making about the same as journeymen in the crafts. Good ones are worth their weight in gold.

RO (Reactor Operator) = RCO (Reactor Controls Operator) = Licensed operator; these positions are control room operators. Licensed by the NRC. Very well-paid professionals making more than the rest of the bargaining members on site.

SRO (Senior Reactor Operator) = US (Unit Supervisor) = Senior Licensed Operator; these positions are non-bargaining most places (and all TVA). Supervise the unit or the Work Control Center (WCC). May not be compensated for OT, but paid well.

SM (Shift Manager) is another SRO. He is serving in place of plant management on the back shift. Paid 10-25% more than SRO.

These terms are the standard. Other plants use various terms, but have the same positions. For example, TVA usually calls the RO a UO (Unit Operator) and FP&L calls the SM a NPS (Nuclear Plant Supervisor) and Beaver Valley calls (or at least did call) the US the ANUS (Assistant Nuclear Unit Supervisor).

Hope this helps.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #34 on: Sep 14, 2007, 10:18 »
What ever you do dont work for a DOE site!!!!   >:(  Go work a commercial site and get appreciated for your degree and who you are.  8)  My family have been in the nuke industry for over 60 years and it has treated us really well. 

:)  GO NUKE!!!!!!   

Amen, Brother Presgrove!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #35 on: Sep 16, 2007, 03:18 »
 8)  uh thank yu, thank yu vry much.  8)

subsailer

« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2007, 07:05 »
I worked as an aux operator for ten years.  The money was very good (80 to 100K).  The big downside is the 600+ hours of OT a year.  Another thing to consider is that operating a nuc plant is just a glorifed factory job--somewhat boring and routine.  I found the job not very challenging after about 3 years.  You'll make no independent decisions and have someone always looking over your shoulder.  I left and became a tech rep for a large corporation.  The money is somewhat less but the indepenence and job satisfaction is priceless. 

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2007, 01:39 »
I am sure I have done that before, but I guess it is time again.

AUO (Aux or Assistant Unit Operator) = NLO (Non-licensed Operator); these positions are the field operators. Not licensed by the NRC. Well-paid competent professionals making about the same as journeymen in the crafts. Good ones are worth their weight in gold.

RO (Reactor Operator) = RCO (Reactor Controls Operator) = Licensed operator; these positions are control room operators. Licensed by the NRC. Very well-paid professionals making more than the rest of the bargaining members on site.

SRO (Senior Reactor Operator) = US (Unit Supervisor) = Senior Licensed Operator; these positions are non-bargaining most places (and all TVA). Supervise the unit or the Work Control Center (WCC). May not be compensated for OT, but paid well.

SM (Shift Manager) is another SRO. He is serving in place of plant management on the back shift. Paid 10-25% more than SRO.

These terms are the standard. Other plants use various terms, but have the same positions. For example, TVA usually calls the RO a UO (Unit Operator) and FP&L calls the SM a NPS (Nuclear Plant Supervisor) and Beaver Valley calls (or at least did call) the US the ANUS (Assistant Nuclear Unit Supervisor).

Hope this helps.

Entergy: SRO = Control Room Supervisor (CRS) and no overtime.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #38 on: Oct 03, 2007, 10:12 »
Hey subsailer,

I will agree that being in ops can be somewhat routine and boring, but some of us like that.  It kinda gives a false sense of hope  :D.  But to each his own I always say, and I think its great you found something you like and enjoy.

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:33 »
why would you trade a low stress job to come back for more of the same.........in the outages all you hear is "critical path jobs".......well if you are lucky to be on one, you will getall the help you never wanted.........and then you listen to how much per hour the outage is costing the utilty, and if your portion of the job dealys the outage one hour it wil only cost $35,000.  and then the changing shift work is fun too.....just remember the grass is greener over the ........

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?