Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Career Change honeypot

Author Topic: Career Change  (Read 75690 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Career Change
« Reply #25 on: Aug 29, 2007, 11:53 »
But those buttons don't link to the new and improved search page like the link I described does... unlessI am missing something (again).
Click on the 'search' link at the very top.  It does go there.  The was the whole point of making that page.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Aug 29, 2007, 11:56 »
I have looked high and low for descriptions of the jobs available, and the various ways they relate to each other.  I have to admit that I am a bit confused by it all.  I get the gist that HP is something in the rad world and has some various lower level jobs to work through to get to that job.  Also I get that OPS is you basic watch standing operator.  What I need to ask is, "Is there a thread somewhere that breaks these down for each job and all the potential ways to work through a nuke career.  I see some threads about DOE jobs, NRC jobs, etc.  But I cannot find something that is a down and dirty flow chart type of thing.  People seem to throw terms like RCT and AUO around like they are fairly common terms, and even some of the guys that are still in the navy seem to understand the various jobs and the descriptions.  I must assume that this info is out there somewhere but I can't seem to find it.  And yes I have done searches, for things like career paths, job description,etc.  But I haven't found anything that really is a big picture overview of the nuke world careers.

Thats a good idea.

mlslstephens

« Reply #27 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:09 »
But those buttons don't link to the new and improved search page like the link I described does... unlessI am missing something (again).

Initially, I was agreeing with you and I thought Rennhack had lost his mind.  Then I came to my senses and realized he designed it, he must know what he's talking about....I continued to search for the illusive "search" button and alas, at the extreme top of the page in size 8 font is the new and improved search button.  :)
Rennhack, thanks for the new feature and thanks for helping us less informed people find the useful tools.  This website continues to rock.

I do have a question, under the Forum tab, there continues to be a search feature; how does this search engine differ?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:22 »
I do have a question, under the Forum tab, there continues to be a search feature; how does this search engine differ?

I wrote a song about it, want to hear it?  Here it goes:

That search button, in the forum menu, in the forum only...searches the forum.  Further, it searches the part of the forum you are in.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2007, 12:23 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:33 »
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2007, 12:35 by Rennhack »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #30 on: Aug 29, 2007, 02:26 »
http://orangoo.com/spell/

good spell checker.

AU, AUO, AO, NPO, APO, NLO, NLPO= non-licensed nuclear plant operator

eye daunt no about this site.  it'll hilite yer misspellings, but duzzant give alternatives.  i yam tinking dat μsoft word wood give better spellchick.  four doze who knead it, any weigh.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #31 on: Aug 29, 2007, 02:40 »
yes it does, just click on the word after you have it spell check. funny how people miss stuff like that even though it's right under your nose, huh?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #32 on: Aug 29, 2007, 05:59 »
Click on the 'search' link at the very top.  It does go there.  The was the whole point of making that page.

I just about need my 'old fart' glasses to see that one. Didn't see that particular tree in the forest.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #33 on: Aug 29, 2007, 06:16 »
I'm sure someone else on the forum can explain the difference between AO,AUO, RO,SRO

I am sure I have done that before, but I guess it is time again.

AUO (Aux or Assistant Unit Operator) = NLO (Non-licensed Operator); these positions are the field operators. Not licensed by the NRC. Well-paid competent professionals making about the same as journeymen in the crafts. Good ones are worth their weight in gold.

RO (Reactor Operator) = RCO (Reactor Controls Operator) = Licensed operator; these positions are control room operators. Licensed by the NRC. Very well-paid professionals making more than the rest of the bargaining members on site.

SRO (Senior Reactor Operator) = US (Unit Supervisor) = Senior Licensed Operator; these positions are non-bargaining most places (and all TVA). Supervise the unit or the Work Control Center (WCC). May not be compensated for OT, but paid well.

SM (Shift Manager) is another SRO. He is serving in place of plant management on the back shift. Paid 10-25% more than SRO.

These terms are the standard. Other plants use various terms, but have the same positions. For example, TVA usually calls the RO a UO (Unit Operator) and FP&L calls the SM a NPS (Nuclear Plant Supervisor) and Beaver Valley calls (or at least did call) the US the ANUS (Assistant Nuclear Unit Supervisor).

Hope this helps.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #34 on: Sep 14, 2007, 10:18 »
What ever you do dont work for a DOE site!!!!   >:(  Go work a commercial site and get appreciated for your degree and who you are.  8)  My family have been in the nuke industry for over 60 years and it has treated us really well. 

:)  GO NUKE!!!!!!   

Amen, Brother Presgrove!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #35 on: Sep 16, 2007, 03:18 »
 8)  uh thank yu, thank yu vry much.  8)

subsailer

« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2007, 07:05 »
I worked as an aux operator for ten years.  The money was very good (80 to 100K).  The big downside is the 600+ hours of OT a year.  Another thing to consider is that operating a nuc plant is just a glorifed factory job--somewhat boring and routine.  I found the job not very challenging after about 3 years.  You'll make no independent decisions and have someone always looking over your shoulder.  I left and became a tech rep for a large corporation.  The money is somewhat less but the indepenence and job satisfaction is priceless. 

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2007, 01:39 »
I am sure I have done that before, but I guess it is time again.

AUO (Aux or Assistant Unit Operator) = NLO (Non-licensed Operator); these positions are the field operators. Not licensed by the NRC. Well-paid competent professionals making about the same as journeymen in the crafts. Good ones are worth their weight in gold.

RO (Reactor Operator) = RCO (Reactor Controls Operator) = Licensed operator; these positions are control room operators. Licensed by the NRC. Very well-paid professionals making more than the rest of the bargaining members on site.

SRO (Senior Reactor Operator) = US (Unit Supervisor) = Senior Licensed Operator; these positions are non-bargaining most places (and all TVA). Supervise the unit or the Work Control Center (WCC). May not be compensated for OT, but paid well.

SM (Shift Manager) is another SRO. He is serving in place of plant management on the back shift. Paid 10-25% more than SRO.

These terms are the standard. Other plants use various terms, but have the same positions. For example, TVA usually calls the RO a UO (Unit Operator) and FP&L calls the SM a NPS (Nuclear Plant Supervisor) and Beaver Valley calls (or at least did call) the US the ANUS (Assistant Nuclear Unit Supervisor).

Hope this helps.

Entergy: SRO = Control Room Supervisor (CRS) and no overtime.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #38 on: Oct 03, 2007, 10:12 »
Hey subsailer,

I will agree that being in ops can be somewhat routine and boring, but some of us like that.  It kinda gives a false sense of hope  :D.  But to each his own I always say, and I think its great you found something you like and enjoy.

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: Oct 29, 2007, 09:33 »
why would you trade a low stress job to come back for more of the same.........in the outages all you hear is "critical path jobs".......well if you are lucky to be on one, you will getall the help you never wanted.........and then you listen to how much per hour the outage is costing the utilty, and if your portion of the job dealys the outage one hour it wil only cost $35,000.  and then the changing shift work is fun too.....just remember the grass is greener over the ........

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?