Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Star reenlistment?  

Author Topic: Star reenlistment?  (Read 49682 times)

illegalsmile

Re: Star reenlistment?
« Reply #25 on: Sep 11, 2007, 02:05 »
The only reason to go STAR is if you're planning on doing 20. Otherwise, take Nuke School, do your time and get yourself out into the civilian world where you're going to spend the rest of your life.

Labbq

« Reply #26 on: Sep 11, 2007, 03:46 »
WHATS WRONG WITH US?!?! :-D

Im going to reenlist. Seems silly not to. As for me, due to my medical hold from boot camp, and time delay on t-track, Ill hit my 2 year point right after getting to the ship. I calc'ed it out. Ill make 42k AFTER taxes. That equivocates to 21k up front, and 437$ EXTRA a month. Not to mention E5 pay, not sure why no one brought this up - BAH/BAS pay!, and the whole E5 thing :-D

I was in the same boat, medical hold after ELT school, etc.  I almost reenlisted but I waited until I got to the ship.  Best decision I ever made.  I got married 15 months before I got out and was gone 10 of them.  My Chief gave me the line about how I was making $25,000 a year and would never make that kind of money on the outside.  My first year out I only worked 8 months and made almost twice as much and had a blast.  I even got to spend time with my wife everyday. 

Think about it cafefully, consider all the angles and not just the money.
When you are at sea you have to live with all the guys you work with every day.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2007, 08:56 by RDTroja »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 12, 2007, 08:41 »
Yes I did Sorry, that was my first post ever......

I was in the same boat, medical hold after ELT school, etc.  I almost reenlisted but I waited until I got to the ship.  Best decision I ever made.  I got married 15 months before I got out and was gone 10 of them.  My Chief gave me the line about how I was making $25,000 a year and would never make that kind of money on the outside.  My first year out I only worked 8 months and made almost twice as much and had a blast.  I even got to spend time with my wife everyday. 

Think about it cafefully, consider all the angles and not just the money.
When you are at sea you have to live with all the guys you work with every day.

I believe that I have posted this story before but it seems appropriate again.

Many moons ago while working at Davis Besse one of the newly discharged ELTs working there failed the MMPI and had to see the shrink. The shrink stated that he was outside the normal paramaters because he was too happy. The young ex sailor responded that he was making three times as much money as he had been a month ago, he was going to marry his childhood sweet heart in the next month, he was partying every night, he could quit and leave any time he wanted, and he loved his new job.

Shrink "Get back to work"

rlbinc

« Reply #28 on: Sep 12, 2007, 11:19 »
For years after I got out, I'd have a recurring dream where someone pulled my blue rack curtain back and pointed a red flashlight in my face and said,

>:("Yo, man - they need you in the plant..."

Halfway to the bathroom, I'd discover that I had carpet beneath my feet, and I wasn't in the Navy anymore. :)

I guess that was my low grade version of Post Enlisted Stress Disorder.

Offline XGDubNuke

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #29 on: Sep 13, 2007, 12:57 »
The star reenlistment gives you the bonus which when I did it (sep 19 2001) was $42,000 for ET's plus the bump up to E-5.  $75,000 is new to me but I have heard of a rumor that it was going to be raised.  I think what is more important is that you are sure of the fact that you want to add on two more years and figure out whether or not you want to extend or reenlist again to finish off your contract. 

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #30 on: Sep 13, 2007, 01:22 »
The comunity is desperate to keep people so the bonuses will keep getting higher (until the navy remembers the stop-loss clause of the contract). That being said I will quote my fist LPO "your a fool if you don't re-enlist once (STAR) your and idiout if you do it twice" the moral of the story was STAR should be re-enlistment for shore duty but that was years ago now shore duty billets are few and far between and getting fewer. In addition there is talk that now that IAs have been made part of the detaling process rather than a russian roulet, nukes may be considered not only eligible but required to do IA tours instead of shore duty.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #31 on: Sep 14, 2007, 03:41 »
Many used their Star schools to shortcut the 5-year sea rotation by trading their C/shool for shore duty.  I, on the other hand, took my C/school and made Chief at 81/2 and Senior Chief at 11 1/2 years...but I did have to do 5-years (with the 6-month break) of sea duty before I got instructor duty at NFAS.  I initially was going to get all the schooling I could and bag it, using the shore duty time to get my degree while "working" (NFAS instructor and Section Advisor).  However, after making Senior Chief, I just couldn't see me not doing the other 8 1/2 years.  As it turned out, Clinton in his infinite wisdom downsized and I got TERA at 18 years and 3 months!  I was the only nuke out of 15 who applied who got it, because they wanted to weed out the top heavy ranks.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

iHMJ

« Reply #32 on: Nov 19, 2007, 09:03 »
Dont reenlist on the day of a pay increase!!!  I just reenlisted on the day of my three year point and because my dumb ass CCC fail to mention that i would be discharged the day before so my two year pay went into the multiple insted of the three year. So $79,115.00 instead of $82,895.00.  This guy lost me $3,780.00 for ONE MORE DAY.  and he says "your a nuke, you get propay"

Kev3399

« Reply #33 on: Nov 19, 2007, 11:20 »
Dont reenlist on the day of a pay increase!!!  I just reenlisted on the day of my three year point and because my dumb ass CCC fail to mention that i would be discharged the day before so my two year pay went into the multiple insted of the three year. So $79,115.00 instead of $82,895.00.  This guy lost me $3,780.00 for ONE MORE DAY.  and he says "your a nuke, you get propay"

Actually, you cost yourself that money. Its your career and money, not the CCCs.

I guess 80K doesn't buy the common sense to read about something before you sign your name to it. The OPNAVINST on this is not that long of a read. Also, the SRB equation barely requires 4th grade math.

Best of luck to you.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #34 on: Nov 19, 2007, 11:25 »

As immature and totally unnecessary as this is... I just can't help myself...

ROTFLMFAO   ;D

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #35 on: Nov 20, 2007, 03:41 »

I weep for your loss of 4k...

how about you go be a mechanic, then the shock will set in on your bonus :)

I read through this post, for those that care, your multiplier is NOT 24 months, its 48 months if you reenlist anywhere before the 4 year mark.

I thought about it heavily, and I have decided to reenlist for 2 extra years. Its the most beneficial thing I can do. Plus it will allow to do those quals i want to do :)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #36 on: Nov 20, 2007, 04:17 »
This guy lost me $3,780.00 for ONE MORE DAY.  and he says "your a nuke, you get propay"

Technically, you could petition the BCNR. Probably not worth the hassle for that amount.

Perhaps you think this is the last time you will get a raw pay deal? I know you don't. But beware when you get out; the pay issues are more complex than your re-enlistment, and even if you find the mistake and get it corrected onsite the same issue could come back and take your income tax refund checks for years to come!!! (not that I am still upset!!)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline matthew7899

• Light User
« Reply #37 on: Nov 20, 2007, 06:21 »
Things that people don't think about when re-enlisting....

2 years in.....STAR reenlist  (which, in the most recent Navy Times, ET rates are in critical need of people, SO...the cap has gone up to 90-100K (not sure exactly) for zone A (first time enlistment)...you might want to find that Navy Times because I'm not sure if it was all ET's or just Sub ET's (depends on your NEC).

Taking you to 8 years in.....which depending on the needs of the Navy, luck or your ability to get a good deal around the 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 year point you will probably be considering SHORE DUTY, but in order to accomplish this you will have to re-enlist again (or extend...with no bonus), putting you up to the 10 year point.

SO think about that....if you re-enlist now, there is a good possibility you will face that decision again, but with a Shore Duty to deal with (much easier to talk yourself into than staying at SEA)

You are now getting to your 10 year point (which is where I will be) and you find this site, and wish you had found this site 3 years ago!......oh sorry, got off topic......This is where you reach a critical point--

--If you re-enlist now, you might as well settle in for 20 years. (Listening to Master Chief's discuss their retirement pay is nice, but if you listen closely you realize that they will still need to get another job to supplement that pay (unless they have made sound financial decisions).

--Or you realize that the civilian world is the place to be.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret joining the Navy or staying in as long as I have....I have been able to finish my degree and gained experience being an Instructor and SLPO, which I believe will better help my transition out of the Navy.

My best recommendation to the decision of re-enlisting:  Get some more information from honest, unbiased opinions (as difficult as it may be), and see the BIG picture!! (subsequent decisions to re-enlist and the decision to go career or not)

Good luck with your decision!

Fermi2

« Reply #38 on: Nov 20, 2007, 10:56 »
Here's the way I look at it. I've been a commercial nuke for 17 years. In that time I've earned more than I would have in the Navy PLUS I've earned what I would have earned in roughly 23 years of Naval Retirement, and still going..

Do the Math.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #39 on: Nov 21, 2007, 12:26 »

I read through this post, for those that care, your multiplier is NOT 24 months, its 48 months if you reenlist anywhere before the 4 year mark.

I thought about it heavily, and I have decided to reenlist for 2 extra years. Its the most beneficial thing I can do. Plus it will allow to do those quals i want to do :)

I really wish you would quit trying to justify your reenlistment. You don't have to. It is obvious that the money is too much for you to pass up. You cannot make an informed decision about reenlisted with under 1 year in the navy... zero years in the real navy... and zero years as a navy nuke. Any decision to reenlist now is purely motivated by dollar signs. And that is just fine. Just admit it and move on... no one cares since you have obviously ignored everything anyone has told you here.

Justin

PS By the way, that 2 extra years turns into 3-4 extra years with no extra money if you hope to go to shore duty.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2007, 12:27 by JustinHEMI05 »

Kev3399

« Reply #40 on: Nov 21, 2007, 12:42 »
I really wish you would quit trying to justify your reenlistment. You don't have to. It is obvious that the money is too much for you to pass up. You cannot make an informed decision about reenlisted with under 1 year in the navy... zero years in the real navy... and zero years as a navy nuke. Any decision to reenlist now is purely motivated by dollar signs. And that is just fine. Just admit it and move on... no one cares since you have obviously ignored everything anyone has told you here.

Justin

PS By the way, that 2 extra years turns into 3-4 extra years with no extra money if you hope to go to shore duty.

That whole "Obliserve"(spelling?? I can't remember the exact spelling) portion of your orders to shore duty will come and slap you in the face.

Me "Whats this piece of paper?"
YN "Just sign it."
Me "Is this extending my EAOS?"
YN "Only for 8 months......You have to obliserv to get the required 40 month tour at your shore command."
Me "Hmmmmm, does this count as a reenlistment......I mean do I get anything for it?"
YN "No, sign it if you want to transfer."
Me "Ok."

Moral of the story.......Justin's right. Its more than two years.

Wirebiter

« Reply #41 on: Nov 21, 2007, 12:53 »

Just be advised that those two extra years can easily be spent on your boat/ship.  Over 6 years is a long time to be at one command, especially if it is a crappy command.....which it will be for some/all of your time onboard.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #42 on: Nov 21, 2007, 07:36 »
I remember the Tubers that got short cycled at NFAS.  They were realigning and anti-skewing and whatever else they could find as an excuse for sending them back out to the fleet after about 18 months of the 39 month tour.  That way they had 2 years at sea.  By the way, some of them extended for the shore duty billet...

BOHICA!!
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #43 on: Nov 21, 2007, 08:36 »
If you are doing it for the money, wait until you see what it is you are buying.

I had to re-up for SPU (I know, I know, there are some of you out there that managed to get around that)

I re-upped again mostly for the money and benefits that were supporting an ill family member.

If you go to the fleet without any additional time, make rank off the test, and perform well, you will have some serious bargaining power come time for your EAOS.

Qualify EWS before your six and you can pretty much choose your career path from there, IMHO.

And if you don't like it after you are E-6/EWS with 6 in, get out.

Fermi2

« Reply #44 on: Nov 21, 2007, 10:56 »

Too bad, you could have used that extra money to take a reading class so next time you can actually read the rules before you sign a paper.

Here's what gets me about guys like this.

1: They had a recruiter who lied to them. We'll give them a Mulligan on that as we all fell for it sort of.

THEN

2: They do what the COMMAND CAREER COUNSELOR tells them to do without any research or questioning attitude whatsoever.

Shouldn't the experience of item 1 make one VERY leary of any dealings with the COMMAND Career Counselor?

Some people shouldn't be allowed to pump their own gas.

Mike

mlslstephens

« Reply #45 on: Nov 21, 2007, 11:22 »

Some people shouldn't be allowed to pump their own gas.

Mike
Is this why people in New Jersey can't pump their own gas?  :)

Fermi2

« Reply #46 on: Nov 21, 2007, 11:23 »
LMAO, is that true???

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #47 on: Nov 21, 2007, 04:28 »
Is this why people in New Jersey can't pump their own gas?  :)

Oregon too. Explains a lot about my best friend. :)

Justin

shayne

« Reply #48 on: Nov 21, 2007, 05:17 »
Me "Is this extending my EAOS?"
YN "Only for 8 months......You have to obliserv to get the required 40 month tour at your shore command."
Me "Hmmmmm, does this count as a reenlistment......I mean do I get anything for it?"
YN "No, sign it if you want to transfer."
Me "Ok."

I re-enlisted for orders to NPTU for 48 months.  After arriving at S8G, I extended my PRD out to my EAOS and did a 47 month shore tour.

I can say to you 'Stay in the Navy if you enjoy it and forget about the money to help make your decision.' 

Most nukes can make more money without the other BS than you will for the terms of your re-enlistment and you will have a much better quality of life..

S3GLMS

« Reply #49 on: Nov 21, 2007, 09:16 »
I can only speak for myself because I made my own decision while I was in the Navy, ( I am out now).  I STAR reenlisted at the 2 year 2 month point to get E-5 Promotion and a $30,000 Bonus and a "C" school.  I knew what I was signing up for and valued that against leaving after my initial 6 years and decided to do it any way.  My time in rate got moved back to the beginnig of the year and my bonus was tax free during the first gulf war.  I was an MM and I took HAGAN boiler and feedwater controls "C" school.  What the result for me was that I eaned more money on active duty then what I would have during my initial tour for a grand total of what turned out to be only 18 months extra obligated service for me (at the time that maximized the Bonus to the limit).  I used the extra time to complete EWS and in port AEDO quals.  I was a respected technician onboard the ship because I could actually fix the HAGAN cabinet and I made chief in 7 years.  I did not re-enlist for the next rotation though because I wanted to get to the civillian world after a 5 year sea tour.  Anyone who can think through the good and bad sides for each of the items that you would be committed to for your remaining service should then be happy with their cicumstances.  I was satisfied with my decision at the time and I would do it the same way because I needed the extra time to complete senior qualifications.  If I could have completed the quals in less time I definately would not have re-enlisted.  looking back on the extra time the 18 months really did not change much about the sea tour except that I learned a little more about the plant and I was better prepared for my first civillian nuclear job when I got out.  I support anyone in any decision they make as a Navy nuke, because it is tough and I respect your service and thank you for it. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?