Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Currently in DEP trying to change my MOS...  

Author Topic: Currently in DEP trying to change my MOS...  (Read 8794 times)

ChrisCauble

Currently in DEP trying to change my MOS...
« on: Aug 31, 2007, 04:16 »
Hi, I am currently in DEP, I ship out on 12/5 and I have been trying to change my MOS for a while now.

While I was at meps I was told that my waivers were not accepted for my chosen MOS (I want to go nuclear propulsion) even though my scores automatically qualified me for the position. What happened was a few years back I was in some trouble and my grades slipped. This has come back to bite me in the butt because I was told with my grades that way I had to put through a waiver to attain the position.

Now, I had met the nuclear reps in my area, who both approved me almost instantly when we met. But I guess it is their higher-ups who shot me down. I am currently enlisted as STG-AEF because it was the most advanced I could get at the time. Is there any way I could increase my chances of acceptance when I go to try and push my second waiver through?

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Currently in DEP trying to change my MOS...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2007, 02:58 »
Simple answer talk to your recruiter. But if someone in NR rejected your waivers there is little you can do. Unless you have little desire to advance stay away from Sonar related rates (also included HM) The best current advancment is in the CT community (not the linguists CTI) we have 2, 6 year E7's this cycle at the shipyard. This is nearly impossible in any other rate nuke included. The last thing I'll add is if you can't do nuke, choose something that you will enjoy. Ask the questions and research the various ratings in the navy the odds are you will find something you would acutaly like.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:41 »
the "little bit of trouble" you got in, is whats holding you back.

I graduated highschool with a 2.4 ish, failed many courses. I also had terrible credit. I had a 430 score when I checked in A - school. (that was AFTER paying my credit cards off!).

93-383 - ct's are harder to get then nukes, he would not get ct if hes not able to get nuke.

If you have good scores as you say, try to keep pushing waivers and tell them you wont join unless you get nuke. If you are qualified and dont have a felony on your record you should get in.

DanWhay86

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2007, 09:53 »
yeah buddy if you mess up your done...secret clearance doesn't come easy you got to earn it

Finalman

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2007, 11:16 »
the "little bit of trouble" you got in, is whats holding you back.

I graduated highschool with a 2.4 ish, failed many courses. I also had terrible credit. I had a 430 score when I checked in A - school. (that was AFTER paying my credit cards off!).

I graduated high school with a 2.3, made an 81 on the asvab and didn't have to take the "nuke test", my chemistry, science, and mechanics skills were high enough...

But my clearance was held up all through A school till the day I comp.'d and I received it. now I start power school tomorrow.

I have 3 waivers, why I joined the nuke program, my wreckless driving to improper equipment, and why I had a 76 in advanced functions and models.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2007, 04:57 »
I graduated high school with a 2.3, made an 81 on the asvab and didn't have to take the "nuke test", my chemistry, science, and mechanics skills were high enough...

But my clearance was held up all through A school till the day I comp.'d and I received it. now I start power school tomorrow.

I have 3 waivers, why I joined the nuke program, my wreckless driving to improper equipment, and why I had a 76 in advanced functions and models.

I have 19 waivers -.- I spent 5 months in boot camp and a couple months on t track because of it lol

I feel your pain :-D

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2008, 02:58 »
Sorry to say that AEF is a double-edged sword.  It sounds great, but it has a good deal of range.  For example, you could get SATCOM or satellite communications or Simpson 260 calibration school as a "C" school (sorry, not old enough to say B/school), which are about an extra 6 months or 2 days extra training after A/school, respectively.

I wouldn't try for a 6-month lease after A/school with your record...  By the way, you could work out permanent shore duty with the first school.

ON THE OTHER HAND... (coin flip) I did see many other ratings cross over to the nuclear field, like a GS to MM; an AE to ET; and coner ET to real ET (Yes, I said it and I was a skimmer puke).  So go bust butt and get the best of both worlds, it will probably be the only way.
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?