NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu some perks of the past  

Poll

How many recall

Rental cars
3 (6.4%)
Paid flights
0 (0%)
check hat and cup when you came on site.
1 (2.1%)
Advanced Per Diem
7 (14.9%)
Good Guy Letter
2 (4.3%)
all of the above
34 (72.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: some perks of the past  (Read 37484 times)

ramdog_1

some perks of the past
« on: Sep 06, 2007, 11:01 »
Some many things have changed . at one time you could go site to site and it was like a reuion to see who was there. It was Nice to give your name to the site Cord. and he shook your hand smiled and gave you a check and hat and pen.
and then we had to get the good guy letter at each site. and the MMPI at every site so fun.

illegalsmile

Re: some perks of the past
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2007, 11:17 »
Uhhh, what if you remember all of them? The 'voting machine' only lets you select one.

ramdog_1

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2007, 12:47 »
Good Point! Plus the wish lists use to read 60 days 90 days. ect.
I have not seen a list saying 90 days in a long time. nor do they bring 150 SRHP and Jr hps.
nor do you have the deconnors coming up asking to go set up the A/S for you and to take smears so they can learn the ways.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2007, 12:51 by ramdog_1 »

stownsend

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2007, 02:56 »
Numanco- one days per diem for each 300 miles driven

Early Bartlett (just Bruce and Judy in the office) 8hour travel,20 cents per mile and a days per diem from Connecticut to Peach Bottom

alphadude

« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2007, 03:20 »
yep good ole Rad Services
car, perdiam, flight, advance, and those other special items that a tech from the 70's needed to get along

Rahrah

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2007, 08:56 »
What about the great feeds that IRM used to put on?  You could count on a feast to start an outage.

Ruth

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2007, 09:28 »
Must be a company thing,as I still get pretty much all of the above...still. Life is good
Call Before You Dig!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2007, 09:33 »
yep good ole Rad Services
car, perdiam, flight, advance, and those other special items that a tech from the 70's needed to get along

knot two mention time 'n a half after 40 'n double time sundays.  plus individual hellth insurance.  'n alwaze gitting da summers off.  even iffen yer site werked all summer, ya gist put infer da layoff 'n dey braught sum buddy else in, 'n ya gots yer travel out to.
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2007, 09:34 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

duke99301

« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2007, 10:09 »
Well since I moved out working as an HP I did pick up the above.

vikingfan

« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2007, 11:10 »
Well since I moved out working as an HP I did pick up the above.

i agree duke ! companies such as westinghouse, masterlee, GE, and areva still provide rental cars, paid airfare. paid hotel etc.. not sure why more companies don't do it but i'm sure there's a reason for it.

illegalsmile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2007, 12:17 »
i agree duke ! companies such as westinghouse, masterlee, GE, and areva still provide rental cars, paid airfare. paid hotel etc.. not sure why more companies don't do it but i'm sure there's a reason for it.

Ye$$$ JJ, I'm $$$ure there i$$$$.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2007, 02:00 »

doz companies are doing that for there employees.  they also provide in-house certifications, qualifications, physicals, yadda, yadda, yadda.  corporate employees are in a different venue than rentateks.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2007, 11:53 »
doz companies are doing that for there employees.  they also provide in-house certifications, qualifications, physicals, yadda, yadda, yadda.  corporate employees are in a different venue than rentateks.
Not so..I'm a part time employee and I get all those "perks".Airfare,cars,hotels,deim..And I also get the medical benny's too.All at no cost to me.Plus a pretty hefty pay rate too boot...
Call Before You Dig!

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2007, 09:42 »
 profit sharing, stock options, prepaid air travel, rental cars with weekly reimbusement for gas and lets not forget that long gone issue of full coverage health insurance.
Ah the life of a road tech, now we get  $.40 per mile  and ????????????????????????????????

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2007, 11:57 »
If your not getting all the "old" bennies then you should negotiate better for yourself.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2007, 12:15 »
If your not getting all the "old" bennies then you should negotiate better for yourself.

Not to be rude here Mike but the average rent-a-tech in no way receives the type of "bennies" they once received. Even the pay scale has not kept up with the cost of living.

Back in the eighties Henry and I paid 800.00 per month rent without a room mate, drove new cars, clothed our children in whatever they wanted to wear and threw thousands away on various hobbies and stuff young people usually take part in. We had EXCELLENT insurance, worked almost year round and had paid time off at times. Needless to say, those days are gone.

As long as the outages are spread apart and we all need the work then we are right where everyone out there needs us: looking for the next job. This in my opinion is the driving force that keeps the outages spread apart because by making outages few and far between the powers that be can keep the pay low thus saving money.

The majority of us work for the same companies every outage and there really is no negotiating. You either take the job or don’t or maybe you hold out and come in on the back up contract and get a few more perks or pennies that way.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2007, 09:49 »
I didn't get most of those bennies as a road HP.  I came out of the Navy in the fall of 87.  By then, there was a "glut" of HP's in the business.  Some blame TMI for this introduction of many new, and barely qualified, people to the business.
All the stories about the travel pay, rental cars, bennies, ... etc. seem to end at about that time.  There seems to be a correlation.
If you have ever read anything I have posted on this site, you might make the connection between these "blessed-off" HP's and the overall decline in everything to do with being an HP.
All those break-room cowboys, sweater-knitters, salesmen, slugs, untrainables, and undesirables came into a job with the least of qualifications, diluted the industry to the point where pay, benefits, and all consideration became based on the lowest common denominator.
Look around the break room tomorrow.  How many people are in there with whom you would trust a new car that you were paying for?  That is why YOU don't have one.
How many of them would work for $19/hr becaus there is no other job on earth that would pay them near that much?  That is why YOU get paid crap.
How many will take whatever thay get because they don't do enough to earn even that much?  They are the reason why YOU have to settle for crap insurance, poor wages, no rented cars, low per diem, no respect from the office or the customer, and less work than you need to make a living.
The job hasn't gotten any easier.  You have to do the same work or more in less time with fewer people.  Dose limits are far more limiting than they were in 1987.  Personnel contaminations are a big deal now - you have to prevent them almost to the exclusion of safety.  We haven't gotten any younger either.  Climbing the polar crane to do a survey is work now.  We used to do it just to kill time.
Next time you find yourself doing the work of two people, go find the lazy jerk in the trailer taking a nap and remind him that you are really earning $50/hr but you only get half because he's getting the other half.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Tech A

« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2007, 12:32 »
Hey Beercourt I cant believe you are badmouthing are Bartlett/ Atlantic companies by saying they are paying us crap wages, giving us poor insurance, low per diem and that we get no respect from Bartlett/Atlantic or the utilities?  I hope you stay off the road with that kind of talk.

duke99301

« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2007, 01:09 »
is he not working for APM and getting a hole lot better deal?
I got a a very good gig with my 3nd time with atlantic  travel in out high rate plus ot and good diem. but I am not an hp.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2007, 08:22 »
Dear Bittercourt,

It seems that you are a little tainted in your opinion of how things have evolved in the world of HP. The bottom line is  that there are still some of us out here that are trying to improve the image of contract HPs by  good job performance and helping to share the benefit of experience and education with fellow techs in the field. I had the dubious honor of seeing you work last spring.
 The bottom line is "Those that can, do, and those that can't get other jobs.

Just Another Dumb - Old HP

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Sep 10, 2007, 08:38 »
Not to be rude here Mike but the average rent-a-tech in no way receives the type of "bennies" they once received. Even the pay scale has not kept up with the cost of living.

Back in the eighties Henry and I paid 800.00 per month rent without a room mate, drove new cars, clothed our children in whatever they wanted to wear and threw thousands away on various hobbies and stuff young people usually take part in. We had EXCELLENT insurance, worked almost year round and had paid time off at times. Needless to say, those days are gone.

As long as the outages are spread apart and we all need the work then we are right where everyone out there needs us: looking for the next job. This in my opinion is the driving force that keeps the outages spread apart because by making outages few and far between the powers that be can keep the pay low thus saving money.

The majority of us work for the same companies every outage and there really is no negotiating. You either take the job or don’t or maybe you hold out and come in on the back up contract and get a few more perks or pennies that way.

I guess the key word is average. I haven't worked for the same company more than 3 times in the last 8 years. So if you get screwed taking the first job down the shute then shame on you.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007, 08:40 by Mike McFarlin »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2007, 08:41 »
Dear Bittercourt,

It seems that you are a little tainted in your opinion of how things have evolved in the world of HP. The bottom line is  that there are still some of us out here that are trying to improve the image of contract HPs by  good job performance and helping to share the benefit of experience and education with fellow techs in the field. I had the dubious honor of seeing you work last spring.
 The bottom line is "Those that can, do, and those that can't get other jobs.

Just Another Dumb - Old HP
Well said.

illegalsmile

« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2007, 09:00 »
If the pay, etc is down because of the NPU (Non-Productive Units) that are in the business, you can't really blame them for taking the best paying job they can get. I'd say the blame lays with the people who hire them, and ultimately, that's the utilities.

ramdog_1

« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2007, 11:20 »
Bitter table of one!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2007, 12:08 »
Let's clear these all up in one shot.
No, I do not work for APM.  I do often work with APM.  My better deal didn't just fall in my lap.  There was a lot of luck involved, but that only got me the one job.  The rest, I had to earn.
No, I am not bitter.  I am disappointed and a little disgusted, but not bitter.  How could I be?  I am way better off now than I was five years ago.  I just wish that I could say the same for a lot of my friends.  They work hard for crap money, and I know they deserve better.
I am not badmouthing Bartlett or Atlantic for paying the crap wages and per diem that they pay.  They are my competitors, but they see it as I do.  As long as it takes 24 hours of pay to get six hours of work, the hourly rate is going to reflect that.  Unfortunately, the six hours of work gets done in about five hours by a minority of the HP's.
OldHP, if you really are an HP, you didn't see a twentieth of what I do for a living.  You saw me at the place where we both worked, but you probably didn't witness any of what I do.  Please spare me the wisdom. Here's the way it really works:  Those who can, do;  those who can't, fake it; and those who can learn, get promoted.
If you are truly interested in improving the profession, good for you.  You're one of those folks I feel such sympathy for.

This brings up another point.  Every time I touch a nerve here, some jagoff brings up the fact that I no longer work as an HP.  WTF difference does that make?  Am I supposed to just say f#@k you to all those HP's I have known over the years just because I don't have to suffer the same pains anymore?  It really makes me wonder, how will you behave when you get the chance to move into something better?  Will you just forget all those people and stop caring about them?  I can't do that.  I consider myself fortunate to have been given the chance to progress in my career.  I'm no way going to turn my back on the people who helped me get here.  I'm going to keep speaking up for them and try to improve their plight.  The way I see it is if it wasn't good enough for me then it sure isn't good enough for them.  I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't matter anymore just because it doesn't affect me personaly.  Of all the things I have learned, the biggest one is to never say never.  I might end up swinging a meter again someday.  I hope not to do that, but I'm certainly not above it.  A lot of good people make their living that way and I'd be honored to be among them.  But, if I ever do come back I'm going to give my best effort and continue to harass, harangue and ridicule anybody who is just taking up space.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?