NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu some perks of the past

Poll

How many recall

Rental cars
3 (6.4%)
Paid flights
0 (0%)
check hat and cup when you came on site.
1 (2.1%)
Advanced Per Diem
7 (14.9%)
Good Guy Letter
2 (4.3%)
all of the above
34 (72.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: some perks of the past  (Read 37486 times)

illegalsmile

Re: some perks of the past
« Reply #25 on: Sep 12, 2007, 06:47 »
Hey Beercourt I cant believe you are badmouthing are Bartlett/ Atlantic companies by saying they are paying us crap wages, giving us poor insurance, low per diem and that we get no respect from Bartlett/Atlantic or the utilities? .
Please tell me this is sarcasm

vikingfan

« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2007, 09:36 »
I can remember working for ARC ( another rubber check) at brunswick in 91 after they accidentally cut up a start up source and had americium 241 all over the friggen place thar arc would treat us almost weekly to a company paid dinner at the local restaurant :) went there for a 6 week job and ended up being there for almost 9 months $$$$$$$$$$$

alphadude

« Reply #27 on: Sep 12, 2007, 06:03 »
i remember that i did get $17.00 hour in 1978 from rad.. ahh yes when techs were walkin on water

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #28 on: Sep 12, 2007, 08:57 »
i remember that i did get $17.00 hour in 1978 from rad.. ahh yes when techs were walkin on water

wherinell wuz dis??  '78??  hail, hp supervisors didn't make that kinda buck.  maybe linda perry did, but she gotta be da onliest won on rad's payroll dat made dat kinda cash. 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #29 on: Sep 12, 2007, 10:53 »
In 1978   IRM was paying $6.00 to 6.50 as a consultant  (no taxes paid by employer and overtime pay held until the end of the outage) and $25/ day per diem
             NSS was paying $7.00  and  $30 / day per diem

It may have seemed like $17.00 to some as gas was $.60 per gallon and I bought a new Toyota Celica GT for $5800

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #30 on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:39 »

Are you twins? Is your name Eli Crosby or Ray Brooks?

I think your memory needs dusting off...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #31 on: Sep 13, 2007, 02:38 »
I'll get us back on topic here. I've gotten all those "perks" listed at the beginning of this thread at one time or another but one time and only one time did I get all three at once. Combustion Engineering in the fall of 1985. I'll give that man/woman a cigar if they can name that job.

I never really thought of these things as perks though, perks to me were benefits which rental(sic) tech companies didn't pay us back then. Only their "full time" techs got bennies/perks.

Ahh, the good ol' days...

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #32 on: Sep 13, 2007, 11:23 »
Would that be CY?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #33 on: Sep 15, 2007, 12:02 »
snowman.... eye usta git des perks at alla jobs.  iffen eye didn't, aye gotta nudder job.  simple solutions, huh?

re: yer c-e question, aye daunt no uva '85 job, butt eye got alla doz wit c-e at songs, trojan, 'n pilgrim.  kin ya guess dat time frame?

RADBASTARD

« Reply #34 on: Sep 15, 2007, 04:08 »
you forgot about the health insurance

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #35 on: Sep 17, 2007, 10:38 »
snowman.... eye usta git des perks at alla jobs.  iffen eye didn't, aye gotta nudder job.  simple solutions, huh?

re: yer c-e question, aye daunt no uva '85 job, butt eye got alla doz wit c-e at songs, trojan, 'n pilgrim.  kin ya guess dat time frame?
We used to get 1 days per diem/500 miles and so many cents per mile in and out, but rental cars were a thing of the past in '85. As for your question slo-glo, I'd say late 70's to very early '80's.

And Camella, it wasn't CY. But you're close, real close. Hint: Plant has gone to the big plant in the sky!

vikingfan

« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2007, 10:58 »
some of these perks still exist but they are far and in between . my current employer give me a rental car, paid air fare, direct deposit of both pay roll and per diem. plus 8 hours travel pay at my pay rate plus fed mileage rate and 1 day diem on the travel day. 20 hrs travel when we travel to japan or taiwan etc.

alphadude

« Reply #37 on: Sep 17, 2007, 05:50 »
ive been challenged on the rate rad paid me during that period and yes i did get it.. lol    dont know why.. well i do,- i never said i was an HP at that time now did i ???  when i left in 81 i was making around 18.32 or so an hour. took a pay cut to work for the utility-which was 15.00 or so an hour.

By the way all the same people reacted the same way about 3 years ago when i made the same statement on here..

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2007, 05:59 by alphadude »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #38 on: Sep 17, 2007, 06:44 »
As for your question slo-glo, I'd say late 70's to very early '80's.

verry, verry good.  witch is why its a perk of da past.

Gonzo

« Reply #39 on: Sep 18, 2007, 11:58 »
..... average. I haven't worked for the same company more than 3 times in the last 8 years. ....

isn't this a clue of some sort?..   (just kiddin)

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #40 on: Sep 18, 2007, 12:26 »
Duh?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #41 on: Sep 18, 2007, 04:46 »
We used to get 1 days per diem/500 miles and so many cents per mile in and out, but rental cars were a thing of the past in '85. As for your question slo-glo, I'd say late 70's to very early '80's.

And Camella, it wasn't CY. But you're close, real close. Hint: Plant has gone to the big plant in the sky!
Well then, was it Yankee Rowe,Maine Yankee or Conn. Yankee? They've all gone to the "big plant in the sky"
Call Before You Dig!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #42 on: Sep 18, 2007, 06:22 »
Well then, was it Yankee Rowe,Maine Yankee or Conn. Yankee? They've all gone to the "big plant in the sky"

awl sew known as fission forever.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #43 on: Oct 14, 2007, 10:46 »
Its more a numbers game now. Companies are just too big. The personal touch seems to be gone.
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2007, 11:15 by Mike McFarlin »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #44 on: Oct 14, 2007, 11:16 »
No more fatherly talks with owners.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #45 on: Oct 15, 2007, 07:56 »
No more fatherly talks with owners.

dang.... 'n hare eye thaught yfg's wuz moor uva uncle ear beeting.

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #46 on: Oct 16, 2007, 10:43 »
Maine Yankee.

And to continue with this thread, some of the "perks' working at Maine Yankee in 1985 including NOT having to go through any kind of security to get in the plant every day. You simply walked up to the window in the guard house, said hi to Sam the guard and got your badge. No metal detector, no x-ray machine, no bomb sniffing monitor. It was wonderful.

Then, one of the first things your guide wanted to show people was an area around the back side of containment. At the equipment hatch was a fenced-in break area posted as a "Radiation/Contamination Area" that had been set up for folks working INSIDE of containment. Backed up to this area was a semi-trailer converted into a refreshment stand. And milling around were dozens of people still dressed out in PC's minus the gloves and hoods, sipping their coffee and munching on their dognuts. You got a quick hand survey from the Jr. HP and it was of to the glazed and sprinkled delights. You literally stared at this site, unable to comprehend what you were seeing. You definitely weren't in Kansas anymore.

Amd what was the first thing you did when you hit containment? You headed straight for that break area to slurp coffee and munch on dognuts! It was wonderful.

stownsend

« Reply #47 on: Oct 16, 2007, 01:18 »
Maine Yankee.

Amd what was the first thing you did when you hit containment? You headed straight for that break area to slurp coffee and munch on dognuts! It was wonderful.

Then as you wiped your fingers on the PC'S you could get a cigarette before you went back to work.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #48 on: Oct 16, 2007, 07:16 »
Maine Yankee.

And to continue with this thread, some of the "perks' working at Maine Yankee in 1985 including NOT having to go through any kind of security to get in the plant every day. You simply walked up to the window in the guard house, said hi to Sam the guard and got your badge. No metal detector, no x-ray machine, no bomb sniffing monitor. It was wonderful.

Then, one of the first things your guide wanted to show people was an area around the back side of containment. At the equipment hatch was a fenced-in break area posted as a "Radiation/Contamination Area" that had been set up for folks working INSIDE of containment. Backed up to this area was a semi-trailer converted into a refreshment stand. And milling around were dozens of people still dressed out in PC's minus the gloves and hoods, sipping their coffee and munching on their dognuts. You got a quick hand survey from the Jr. HP and it was of to the glazed and sprinkled delights. You literally stared at this site, unable to comprehend what you were seeing. You definitely weren't in Kansas anymore.

You can still have those perks at Maine Yankee, now.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #49 on: Oct 17, 2007, 01:32 »
Maine Yankee.

Dognuts? Yuck! I liked Yankee Rowe. Beer for lunch with the plant manager or fishing at the intake. Sweet place!
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?