Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Cars at A-School?

Author Topic: Cars at A-School?  (Read 21699 times)

JustinHEMI05

Re: Another car question
« Reply #25 on: Sep 10, 2007, 01:23 »
How about trying to build a motor that doesn't need nitrous? Then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Justin

:)

mlslstephens

« Reply #26 on: Sep 10, 2007, 03:44 »
Yes, I agree with you NaVLI4. Please beg your recruiter to slate you as a Machinist Mate. You will fit in just fine with that crowd.

I have a few recommendations:
-Sell your cars that use nitrous or are only used for drag racing
-Buy some notebooks and pens for studying

I would also begin to do some research about your actual job in the Navy vice things like emission laws and drag strips in SC. Being a nuke is nothing like working at Walmart or American Eagle.

Great recommendations.  It is quite apparent from your post that you are intelligent.  However, it seems like you have worked for some dynamic leaders while you were in the Navy.  Lucky Man!  :)

ddklbl

« Reply #27 on: Sep 10, 2007, 03:52 »
Great recommendations.  It is quite apparent from your post that you are intelligent.  However, it seems like you have worked for some dynamic leaders while you were in the Navy.  Lucky Man!  :)

He had a good PMC for a little while.

Kev3399

« Reply #28 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:28 »

Its too bad my peers in the Reactor Operator ranks were lacking in several categories. Most notably, the inability to stay qualified(or on the watchbill) for any finite period of time.

He had a good PMC for a little while.

I think I took leave when that happened.

ddklbl

« Reply #29 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:42 »
Its too bad my peers in the Reactor Operator ranks were lacking in several categories. Most notably, the inability to stay qualified(or on the watchbill) for any finite period of time.

What was her name, again?  She was on that one carrier with that one guy.

DoSoMo

« Reply #30 on: Sep 11, 2007, 02:59 »
yea i'll proll end up selling my drag car i got an offer for 10g's today i'll miss it but the navy will be worth it
but i was curious if anyone knew of any automotive related careers that would be a possibility after being a nuke like the bigger jobs in the major automotive businesses

and like you said will being a mm actually help get a mechanical type career over one of the other rates

mlslstephens

« Reply #31 on: Sep 11, 2007, 05:35 »
What was her name, again?  She was on that one carrier with that one guy.

I'm not a moderator, and this probably isn't my job, but we have ventured too far off the subject.

That being said, the subject is what....another car question.  How many car questions do you have??
Navytwinmom has the real salient points in her post.
When my sons were doing well in both A and Power School it was a treat to get to go to the mall for a few hours once or twice a month...or catch a movie. When they were not doing well...lets just say the inside of the class room was all they saw most weekends

And it is not all about the study either...you have to clean your room...take care of your uniforms...eat...sleep....cal l your family.

DoSoMo, you have signed up for one of the Navy's toughest academic programs and there will not be time during your first year to play with cars.  That being said, once you have earned the right to be called a nuke (graduate prototype), then you will have plenty of time to rekindle the fires of your heart.  :)  Unless you are submerged and undetected for months at a time...that by the way is the good stuff.

One last thought...good luck in school.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 05:36 by NaVLI4 »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #32 on: Sep 11, 2007, 01:48 »
yea i'll proll end up selling my drag car i got an offer for 10g's today i'll miss it but the navy will be worth it
but i was curious if anyone knew of any automotive related careers that would be a possibility after being a nuke like the bigger jobs in the major automotive businesses

and like you said will being a mm actually help get a mechanical type career over one of the other rates

Depends on what you condiser high. Automotive engineering no. But I did have guys that worked with me that got jobs with BMW and Porsche doing maintenance for about 40k a year (major pay cut)

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #33 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:45 »
I remember an 1/8th mile strip near Goose Creek.  They had a few open nights where you could bring anything from a car like yours to your mom's minivan :P

Dont sell your cars because people here are saying you will never have time for a car, sell them because you will never have the time for more than one.  A car is a good thing to have on the days you have to yourself.  Having a strip car will probably just have you do the maintenance in the parking lot and paying for insurance and gas.  I say bring it to SC and sell it to some fellow Navy chuck who will likely overpay to have a car like yours.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #34 on: Sep 12, 2007, 07:49 »
Do So,

Those buggies will only get dusty sitting while you put in 18 hour days at school in Goose Creek. If this is news to you, perhaps you better rethink the program and the time required to complete it. Good luck, son!  8)

Samabby, please dont force your opinions of your time at charleston on other people. I have a 287hp/323tq mx5 I tinker(ed) with quite often in charleston. If hes mature enough to balance his time, he has no problem playing with his toys. I put in moderate(average?) hours in both schools, and I had my cake and ate part of it. This is a personal thing, if he breezes through, then he will feel like an idiot for selling his hobby away. Granted, he may struggle and actually spend (18??? where did you get that number?) most of his time MON-FRI at work, but on the weekend he should still have time for fun and games.

DoSoMo - what these guys arent telling you, theres an "Auto Hobby Shop" right on base. It has lifts, any tool you will need, and helpful attendants (tell dan i say hi!). Lifts are 3.50 an hour, and work spots are 2$ an hour. Tools and machines are free to use. I spent a hefty amount of my off time there tooling on mine and other peoples cars.

Finalman

« Reply #35 on: Sep 12, 2007, 09:52 »
I remember an 1/8th mile strip near Goose Creek.  They had a few open nights where you could bring anything from a car like yours to your mom's minivan :P

Dont sell your cars because people here are saying you will never have time for a car, sell them because you will never have the time for more than one.  A car is a good thing to have on the days you have to yourself.  Having a strip car will probably just have you do the maintenance in the parking lot and paying for insurance and gas.  I say bring it to SC and sell it to some fellow Navy chuck who will likely overpay to have a car like yours.

Now, they tell you that you cannot work on your car in the parking lot... pretty sure i replaced the wires, cap, rotor, tunned the carb, set the timing, idle, etc.. and chatted it up with a few people that were in power school and a MAA... as long as your not swapping trannies or tearing your motor apart you can work on your car a bit.

And the hobbie shop, awsome, got some nessesary work done on my car during T track.

Offline XGDubNuke

• Light User
« Reply #36 on: Sep 13, 2007, 01:09 »
Please, for your own sake, focus your attention and energy on doing well in school, not on being the fast and furious, you will thank yourself later.  Plus your mother will sleep better at night. 

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2007, 01:13 by XGDubNuke »

DanWhay86

« Reply #37 on: Sep 15, 2007, 09:52 »
having a drag racer down here might be one of the dumbest ideas ive heard of...just wait till school starts and you'll be saving that gas money

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?