Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority)
honeypot

Poll

TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority)

Above Average
7 (50%)
Average
6 (42.9%)
Below Average
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority)  (Read 25944 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority)
« on: Sep 09, 2007, 01:16 »
Talk about this company.  Don't forget to vote.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2010, 10:12 »
JD79,

Thank you for posting the question here.  I know the site is huge, and there are always several 'right' places to post things.  I appreciate you helping us out.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2010, 02:29 »
Ok, I take my thank you back! Pfft!

Thanks Tom!

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2010, 05:16 »
Privileged information.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2010, 06:40 »
Rennhack,

Please elaborate on how posting it here "helps out" over posting elsewhere on the site.  How does it make a difference?  Am I missing something here???

When people are looking for information about TVA... it is nice to have one location for them to find it.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2010, 07:49 »
Congratulations, and I'm glad we could help! 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2010, 03:04 »
Welcome aboard!! Which plant?

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2010, 10:14 »
How would you expect people at NUKEWORKER to know the policy at a DIRTBURNER?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2010, 10:46 »
I'd say you're correct that it won't happen.  In general, a new hire won't get vacation until after 1 year of service. 

Doing the math, I'd say don't plan on vacation until 2012.

Good luck in the new job!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Sun Dog

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:20 »

...even if it is for a "dirtburner" as BZ calls it.

Anybody who is anybody calls them [fossil plants] dirt burners.  As usual BZ was spot on.  As usual some NUB gets their panties in a wad.

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:31 »
Hey jd79. If you stay on this site you will see there are only a few people that like to tell you how much they know, and you don't. Most of them haven't been in the field for a long time. (which is probably a good thing. How many times do you want to hear,"this is how we did it in the 80's",etc.) They now are desk jockies playing on Nukeworker on Company time. I suggest that maybe their employer be informed of how much time they are on the internet while they are supposed to be working.
                                  [stir]

499tarheel

« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:06 »
Heard a rumor the .gov budget committee is going to suggest the sale of TVA to fund a "green energy" push. In fact, it's more than just a rumor, but I can't locate a good source on the internets to reference.

Thought some of you TVA folks might have heard something? Not that I think a sale is eminent, but the suggestion shows the strains of the federal budget.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:15 »
Heard a rumor the .gov budget committee is going to suggest the sale of TVA to fund a "green energy" push.

Just another wacky idea from some Chicagoid running for U.S. Senate

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/oct/23/gop-congressman-calls-for-selling-tva/

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:44 »
Thanks Nuclear Nascar.  That's what I figured. 

Thanks to you, too, bi-polar BZ.  I appreciate the time it took you type that completely useless sentence.  I know this is NUKEWORKER, but apparently there is no FOSSILWORKER.COM out there, so this is the only place to get the kind of info on TVA that I was looking for.  I will refrain (after today) from commenting further on your otherwise juvenile behavior on this forum due to the fact that:

A) nobody wants to see you go through your tantrum of swearing you are completely finished posting and "helping" other people out, only to come back later with the same fecal-filled attitude; and

B) I realize you do have a wealth of knowledge, even if you make it obnoxiously obvious to everyone that you know this and are very proud of it, coupled with your attitude that everyone else is a moron for not knowing what you already know.  I have bachelor's and master's degrees in fields completely unrelated to power production.  If you ever made it to a forum to ask a question in my area of expertise, I certainly wouldn't expect you to know everything I do on the topics.  Why do you expect that of folks on here? (Read: rhetorical, as I really don't care what your response is at this point.)

One little piece of advice to you: If you ever manage to get that enormously large chip off of your shoulder, you could actually provide lots of useful advice to folks without talking down to them or degrading them.  In plainer English, you are smart.  We know that.  You are good at what you do.  We know that as well.  Now, get the hell over yourself.

To everyone else, thanks for the help and advice that I have received while I have been on here.  The information I have found through lurking, searching and asking questions these past 6 months has been instrumental in the hiring process, even if it is for a "dirtburner" as BZ calls it.

Give me a week of study, I'll master whatever field you have "expertise" in.

Buddy

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:51 »
Great. Let's screw up something the Federal Government actually got right. What a moron.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:06 »
Just another wacky idea from some Chicagoid running for U.S. Senate

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/oct/23/gop-congressman-calls-for-selling-tva/

Looks like the guy won the Senate seat he was running for.

So he wants to sell TVA.  I'd be interested to see who he thinks should buy it.  Maybe the company that is headquartered in his home state?

Stranger things have happened involving that state's politics...
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

499tarheel

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:14 »
It would'nt be purchased by one company. TVA would be broken-up and sold off, most likely to geographically positioned utility companies.

I can't see all of TVA being auctioned off, but I could see .gov shedding some of the non-core assets. I don't see the nukes going anywhere, but maybe some hydros, dirtburners, or land could be in the cards down the road. Nothing that other utilities don't do now.

I was just wondering if any of the TVA folks had heard about any of this and had the scoop.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:47 »
Give me a week of study, I'll master whatever field you have "expertise" in.

Quick, somebody hide the donuts! ;)

jowlman

« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:51 »
I know that back when I interviewed for an Ops training position at TVA, I did ask about their vacation policy. I was told that there were times, mostly when the instructors wanted their vacation, that the students would be allowed to take vacation. I hope that this helps. I did not take this job, so I cannot say this for sure that this is what happens.

co60slr

« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:57 »
It would'nt be purchased by one company. TVA would be broken-up and sold off, most likely to geographically positioned utility companies.

I can't see all of TVA being auctioned off, but I could see .gov shedding some of the non-core assets. I don't see the nukes going anywhere, but maybe some hydros, dirtburners, or land could be in the cards down the road. Nothing that other utilities don't do now.

I was just wondering if any of the TVA folks had heard about any of this and had the scoop.
I thought this was a "red herring", but decided to check the source (Library of Congress).

House Resolution 5780, Section 6 seems somewhat vague but does contain "sale of" and "TVA" in a few sentences.  Introduced by reps from MI and VT.   

Looks like the draft Resolution has been sitting in various inboxes since 07/20/2010.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.5780:

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2010, 03:03 »
I've seen this come up every couple of years. Ain;t never gonna happen!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2010, 07:18 »
I've seen this come up every couple of years. Ain;t never gonna happen!

Although I agree it is unlikely and a bad idea, I wouldn't assume an absolute. There was a recent effort by a multi-billion dollar Federal agency to transfer water rights on dams built by the taxpayers to some podunk water district, allegedly to save a buck or two.

There is a continual review process known as "A-76" that applies here...

http://www.dodea.edu/offices/cspo/a76.cfm?sid=7

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2010, 07:08 »
I know that back when I interviewed for an Ops training position at TVA, I did ask about their vacation policy. I was told that there were times, mostly when the instructors wanted their vacation, that the students would be allowed to take vacation. I hope that this helps. I did not take this job, so I cannot say this for sure that this is what happens.

I can verify that this is correct.  Around many of the major holidays (July 4, Thanksgiving, and Christmas) the training department pretty much shuts down, and the students can generally take leave at those times.

Sivryn

TVA Operator hiring cycle
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:32 »
I was looking to see if anyone might know the hiring cycle for Operators at TVA.  I'm specifically looking at the Chattanooga plant but would also like working in Spring City.  I'm a Navy Nuke LT, prior ELT looking to separate within 3 months.  I'd like to get into an SRO training slot if possible but understand that NLO may be the way to go initially to become a more knowledgeable supervisor.   The website has had no listings matching the description for operations jobs for the past couple weeks.  Appreciate any help. 

Fermi2

Re: TVA Operator hiring cycle
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2010, 01:50 »
I was looking to see if anyone might know the hiring cycle for Operators at TVA.  I'm specifically looking at the Chattanooga plant but would also like working in Spring City.  I'm a Navy Nuke LT, prior ELT looking to separate within 3 months.  I'd like to get into an SRO training slot if possible but understand that NLO may be the way to go initially to become a more knowledgeable supervisor.   The website has had no listings matching the description for operations jobs for the past couple weeks.  Appreciate any help. 

Probably won't be any for quite some time (By that I mean within the next 3 to 6 months)

Currently we just tested for a bunch of NLOs. SQN has 3 SRO classes going on now and I'm pretty certain WBN interviewed SROs at the time SQN did.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?