Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Sub Vol

Author Topic: Sub Vol  (Read 32746 times)

Navnu

Sub Vol
« on: Sep 16, 2007, 07:54 »
I know this sounds like the type of of sob story you always hear from people who have signed up for Sub Vol, but changed their mind, but I'm going to tell it anyways.

The day before I left for basic, when I was signing all of the paperwork at the recruiters office, my recruiter managed to slip a Submarine Volunteer form in with the rest of it. I remember asking her about it, and her telling me that it was something that everyone had to sign (Somethign similar ended up happening to a shipmate out of the same region). So now I'm stuck being a sub vol, despite the fact that I've wanted to get on the GW ever since I joined the Navy and heard that it was going to Japan. Anyone have any suggestions about how I might be able to get rid of this problem?

LDO4CNO

Re: Sub Vol
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2007, 08:35 »
First of all, submarines have a lot of advantages so dont knock em.  Second of all I am trying to understand why you signed the form??????  There are so many opportunities to bag your recruiter for dishonest practices, most recruiters are scared to death regarding so called "Truth in recruiting" practices.

I suppose you are one of those guys who get your financing at the car dealership too.... right.  Oh yea I want the $2000 undercoating as well.....  I digress.

Where are you in the pipeline?  Have you been getting SUBPAY for 6 months?  That could make things harder.  Let you supervision know your desires, and dont accept a head nod from your first level supervision.  Ensure he/she is taking it for action.  Request to speak to the Master Chief or Division Officer. 

I can tell you the detailers are having a hard enough time getting volunteers for GW that they would have interest in a hot runner who wants to go there and succeed.  (Be a hot runner)

OBTW when you reinlist.....and you will......read all of the papers, and do it in the gulf so you can keep Uncle Sams share as well.  Good luck.

Navnu

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2007, 01:13 »
I'm going into week 7 of Prototype. And if I'm not a hot runner, I don't know what is. 3.59 out of A School, 3.5 in Power School and I'm somewhere around 43% done with Prototype (Thank goodness for self pacing).

And I don't want to sound like I'm dissing subs but, at least from my point of view, I see it as a screwjob, especially for Electrician's like myself, who have to do the most amount of work, especially when it comes to maintenance, for the smallest bonuses(stupid multiple).

I only found out that I was a sub vol towards the end of Power School, so I haven't known all that long.

The biggest problem, I think, with having to deal with this right now is there is apparently a shortage of EM and ET sub vols. So much that they are starting to offer sub pay back pay all the way to boot camp for anyone who signs up today.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2007, 01:37 »
You sound like you are in section 2 at MARF. That has to be the laziest, most disgruntled group of EMs ever. So you joined the navy and don't want to work? Well, sorry, you are going to have to... and you get to go to sea too. And getting out of subs... that can be a challenge but it can be done. But it is all needs of the Navy. Like LDO said... you need to escalate your desires up your chain quickly. Your staff adviser, unless he is a good one, probably isn't going to do anything about it. As for work load for EMs on subs, I don't know where you get your info, but its not that bad. You must be listening to some guys that are just really  disgruntled, which it seems most EMs at prototype are for some reason (hence the section 2 reference). The only thing that probably sucks about it is having to fix the cooks equipment when it breaks... and it can break pretty frequently. However, sub EMs tend to have the most free time in port. A well run division has all of their work done underway.  Anyway, good luck with your "predicament."

Justin

PS When you get to you boat, I want you to go tell M div that you have more work than they do. And, sub pay has always been paid back to original enlistment.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2007, 01:40 by JustinHEMI05 »

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2007, 01:49 »
WHO the H*** told you Electricians do the most amount of work on a submarine? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2007, 04:07 »
Check this out. I just spent most of my morning mowing my acre of lawn, which is on a Tennessee slope so you know how fun THAT was. Then I trimmed the couple dozen bushes on my property and carried the trimmings back to my woods, 7 trips with a wheelbarrow on that Tennessee Slope, then spent the better part of a half hour trying to figure out why one blinker on my Neon blinked real fast with the other one normal. (HINT if a turn signal is burnt out). I just got finished putting the first waterproofing coat on my deck.

AND all through that I was STILL laughing at the post about Electricians carrying the maintenance load!

Mike

Navnu

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2007, 05:45 »
Sure am glad that I could give everyone a good laugh.  :P

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2007, 06:06 »
Check this out. I just spent most of my morning mowing my acre of lawn, which is on a Tennessee slope so you know how fun THAT was. Then I trimmed the couple dozen bushes on my property and carried the trimmings back to my woods, 7 trips with a wheelbarrow on that Tennessee Slope, then spent the better part of a half hour trying to figure out why one blinker on my Neon blinked real fast with the other one normal. (HINT if a turn signal is burnt out). I just got finished putting the first waterproofing coat on my deck.

AND all through that I was STILL laughing at the post about Electricians carrying the maintenance load!

Mike

And THAT is going to keep me going the rest of the day.

Justin

landlubber

« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2007, 06:26 »
There you go. THAT is the attitude that will make you succeed! Bravo.

If you want to find an E-div that is really slacking, get assigned to one of the new SSN 774 class boats. I know you have at least one MO staff at your plant off of the HAWAII. Ask him why RC-div has so much more work than E-div. EMs will be the next rate combined with ETs, guaranteed.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2007, 06:51 »

PS When you get to you boat, I want you to go tell M div that you have more work than they do. And, sub pay has always been paid back to original enlistment.

Careful about using words like "always".  I started getting sub pay on the day I graduated at S3G just like the rest of my class.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2007, 08:07 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2007, 08:23 »

Good attitude my friend.

Mike

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2007, 09:39 »
Hopefully your EM detailer is reading this. I hear there are a lot of electricians on Enterprise, so they must not work too hard ...ask for CVN-65 ;)

LDO4CNO

« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2007, 10:01 »
NAvnu, it seems you hit a nerve..  ;)    If you have not figured it out this is a rough crowd.   8)  If you want to explain why your life should be easier, you are most likely in the wring place.  Many of these guys, myself included were punching holes before you were born....and it would seem I am not the only one that was overhauling the brine pump, in offgoing three section,  while the wirerates were all playing poker. 

Have you gotten any subpay yet?  It seems I heard a few years ago they changed the rules on SUBPAY and started paying guys in the pipeline immediately as an incentive.  (When I came through we got it upon graduation.)  If you have been getting paid for a while ...good luck.  If not I still think you have a slim chance.  If the Nav cant get wire rates to volunteer then they wont let you go.  Give it a shot, dont be surprised when they say T.S.  Start looking for orders to a good boat.  OBTW, read what you sign in the future.

JB

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2007, 11:07 »
Careful about using words like "always".  I started getting sub pay on the day I graduated at S3G just like the rest of my class.

Yes, as soon as I posted that I knew someone would say "well back in my day.." LOL I should have said since *I* have been in the navy... LOL thanks :)

Justin

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2007, 12:02 »
Check this out. I just spent most of my morning mowing my acre of lawn, which is on a Tennessee slope so you know how fun THAT was.
Thats why I brought in 216 dump truck loads of dirt to level my yard off.

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2007, 12:25 »
How much did that cost??

Rad Sponge

« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2007, 03:56 »
Now wait a minute everyone.

I thought ELTs did the most work.

:o

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2007, 04:13 »
Started getting mine when i got to the boat - course I wasn't one of those nuke types....
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2007, 09:20 »
Now wait a minute everyone.

I thought ELTs did the most work.

:o

We did :)

Mike

Rad Sponge

« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2007, 11:45 »
Which is of course true, but since we worked so cleanly and avoided being covered with carbon dust, grease, lube oil, and also regularly took showers, it appeared as if we did not work much.

But back to the main topic:

Having a Page 13 slipped in on ya is like believing the girl who promises you she is on birth control.

Wirebiter

« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2007, 05:58 »

EMs will be the next rate combined with ETs, guaranteed.

I cringe to think of the day where I trade my globe in for an jimmy neutron decal.  It probably will happen, but hopefully after I get out...   8)

Now as far as E-div work load, don't let these guys fool you Navnu.  Electricians do work hard and often.  We just have the ability to do most of our work regardless of the ship's condition; with a few exceptions of course.  When you own everything from the ERLL bilge probe to the CO's rack light, there is always something in need of repair.  M-div has a large portion of their planned work waiting for them in port, where you are really trying to get home ASAP.  Between hydrostatic tests, valve repair, and primary maintenace, there is little preventative maintenance to be done while at sea. 

In my opinion though, everyone plays second fiddle to A-gang.   All I have to say is "San pump".......... :-X

shayne

« Reply #21 on: Sep 23, 2007, 12:31 »
I don't think being a sub volunteer restricts you to subs.  I was a sub vol also, but put in for all surface ships on my dream sheet and ended up on a cruiser.  You can also try to get your sub vol retracted.  Talk to your chain of command and administrative unit and see if they can help you...  I helped some students at prototype that were able to get the sub vol sheet removed.

Austria

« Reply #22 on: Sep 24, 2007, 03:43 »
I don't think being a sub volunteer restricts you to subs.  I was a sub vol also, but put in for all surface ships on my dream sheet and ended up on a cruiser. 

Yeah...anything can happen. I was a sub-vol. They yanked out my wisdom teeth in boot camp, I started receiving sub pay as soon as I qualified at S8G (MM) and stayed for ELT school. Put in for all subs on my dream sheet and ended up on the Enterprise. Go figure.  8)

LaFeet

« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2007, 10:25 »
Navnu   I hope you dell well out in the fleet.  Lord knows times have changed, but they can not have altered reality.

I and mine allways worked hard... and played hard.  It has been my experience that the MMs (aided by the SMAGs) always had the largest brunt of work.  But on my first two boats, we were a team.  We all pitched in so that we all coul,d go on liberty sooner.  I have rigged out/in ASW/MSW pumps, replaced MG bearings (at PD no less), lanced RPFW &  ERFW heat exchangers, racked out breakers and many other tasks that was not part of my  RO quals.

Humilty and arrogance are the submariners too worst (and best) traits.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2007, 02:52 »
FWIW, I was in the most recent class to graduate (0701). One of the guys in my bootcamp division volunteered subs up at Great Lakes, and after putting his desires (changed his mind and wanted to be surface) on his dream sheet got sent to....the Enterprise. Well, I guess he got what he asked for, huh?

Anyway, it is possible, just be sure to let everyone know who could possibly influence the decision.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?