Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Sub Vol honeypot

Author Topic: Sub Vol  (Read 32757 times)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
Re: Sub Vol
« Reply #50 on: Aug 11, 2008, 12:02 »
One cannot say which one is better than the other.  It is up to the individual what he would prefer(I was surface, but initally was a sub vol). 

There are MANY(read use SEARCH feature) threads based entirely to this subject.  In the end, what it all boils down to is what will fit better with what you want.  Smaller groups of people, more places available to pull into foreign ports, wider range of home ports, no sun, hot racking, etc, etc. Or would you rather see sun, get fresh food on a regular basis, get email and phone calls, work with over 5000 people, long chow lines, and work with women(some people have strong feelings one way or another about this, therefore it must be a consideration for some). 

Personally I wish they would bring back CGN's because to me they combined the best of both worlds, plus you didn't have to deal with Airdales or coners(alas there are still other non-nukes but not in such high quantities). 

In the end, I was a sub Vol, wanted a boat out of San Dog or Hawaii and ended up as the only Mechanic from my class in Charleston to go to the Stennis when she was still in San Diego.  Go figure.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

withroaj

« Reply #51 on: Aug 11, 2008, 05:45 »
The choice is simple:  volunteer subs and be a nub until you get your fish, or go surface and be a nub for life. ;) :P ;D
(let me know if I need to add more smileys to drive the joke home)

McBride

« Reply #52 on: Aug 12, 2008, 05:46 »
One cannot say which one is better than the other.  It is up to the individual what he would prefer(I was surface, but initally was a sub vol). 

What happened?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #53 on: Aug 12, 2008, 06:43 »
What happened?

Hope this is the right way to read this.

Well it was the darndest thing.  I always heard all these great things from Sub guys so I figured what the heck, I will go subs.  Then I heard about this great welder program.  I said "Sign me up."  When it came down for my dream sheet, I put down I wanted welder school, but only if it was still in San Diego(Nobody could tell me 100% for sure if it was still open in San Diego, but I KNEW I didn't want to go to Groton). They had us put down our first-last choice for both subs and for surface.  Subs went San Dog, Hawaii, KB, Norfolk, Bangor, Groton. Surface went SD, Bremerton, Norfolk.  Odd thing was that there were mechanics with family out in California that all wanted the Stennis(only nuke in Cali at the time).  Somehow I end up flying out to Bahrain to meet up with the ship because she was already deployed. So once again, go figure.   
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #54 on: Aug 12, 2008, 12:55 »
Hope this is the right way to read this.

Well it was the darndest thing.  I always heard all these great things from Sub guys so I figured what the heck, I will go subs.  Then I heard about this great welder program.  I said "Sign me up."  When it came down for my dream sheet, I put down I wanted welder school, but only if it was still in San Diego(Nobody could tell me 100% for sure if it was still open in San Diego, but I KNEW I didn't want to go to Groton). They had us put down our first-last choice for both subs and for surface.  Subs went San Dog, Hawaii, KB, Norfolk, Bangor, Groton. Surface went SD, Bremerton, Norfolk.  Odd thing was that there were mechanics with family out in California that all wanted the Stennis(only nuke in Cali at the time).  Somehow I end up flying out to Bahrain to meet up with the ship because she was already deployed. So once again, go figure.   

I had something similar I asked for a fast attack out of Pearl and got a CVN out of Norfolk. Now that I have seen a SSN working for the yard in Pearl I am glad I didn't get my first choice. I think I would have lost my mind on one. And Hawaii/Hawaiians do can drive you crazy Bra

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?