Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Health Physicist positions in the medical field

Author Topic: Health Physicist positions in the medical field  (Read 7288 times)

tucker0104

Health Physicist positions in the medical field
« on: Sep 17, 2007, 09:00 »
I am a former nuke for 8 years that worked in radiation health for 3 years and received my thomas edison bachelors and certified NRRPT. I am currently working on my masters in radiation health physics and will be tkaing the required test to be a CHP. I was wondering what kind of jobs are open for me if I wanted to get involved in the medical side of radiation work?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Health Physicist positions in the medical field
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2007, 06:40 »
administrative.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2007, 11:07 »
It sounds like a Radiologist job or something in Nuclear Medicine would suit your needs.
Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2007, 04:57 by Rennhack »

roadhard

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2007, 11:27 »
Universities too. But they tend to hire the folks who went to their school. Kinda works like that.

eggplant50

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2007, 06:34 »
Any big research hospital has a RSO (Radiation Safety Officer).  A Master's Degree and CHP certification will qualify you for those positions.  Hospitals that have large cancer therapy units or nuclear medicine departments will have need of a medical physicist. Being a CHP is usually qualification enough for the Medical physics position however, there is a certification from the ABMP (American Board of Medical Physics) that is sometimes required for these positions. The problem with finding employment in either of these positions is that there tends to not be a high turn-over rate for these jobs. If you are a HPS member there is a members only employment site that sometimes lists Medical Physics or RSO positions. I am in much the same position as you. I have my MS in Health Physics and have taken the CHP exam (waiting till November for the results  :-\) I would like to go into the medical field, however, I do not want to leave the area I live in, Therefore I am waiting for somebody to die so I can have their position ;). If you find a good listing of medically leaned jobs I would love to know about it. Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK

JsonD13

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2007, 07:04 »
Tucker,
   I am a current Navy nuke (ELT/MM1) who is "going" (distance learning) to Oregon State University for my MS in Radiation Health Physics. I went up there this summer and met many people from many different types of jobs, including a medical RSO and a medical physicist.  It sounds like you are/were a RHO. A medical physicist would be more along the lines of x-ray machine calibration, radiation therapy dose calculations, etc.  The RSO would be more concerned with the worker protection practices used during these medical procedures (I hear the most notorious problem is getting doctors to wear their dosimetry).  Sometimes, these people are one and the same. The only problem with medical physicists is that most everywhere requires 3-6 years of experience prior to getting their job. If you are in a hospital setting as an RHO, you should be fine for this.  From the information I gathered, the medical physicist in a cancer therapy setting tends to work alot (80+hr weeks), but they get paid a lot (100K+).  As far as a university, I'm not sure how and if they promote from within, but on the Health Physics Society website a few months back the University of Minnesota was looking for one, and right now USUHS is looking for one.

Jason

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?