Career Path > Getting in

Health Physicist positions in the medical field

(1/2) > >>

tucker0104:
I am a former nuke for 8 years that worked in radiation health for 3 years and received my thomas edison bachelors and certified NRRPT. I am currently working on my masters in radiation health physics and will be tkaing the required test to be a CHP. I was wondering what kind of jobs are open for me if I wanted to get involved in the medical side of radiation work?

SloGlo:
administrative.

Dave Warren:
It sounds like a Radiologist job or something in Nuclear Medicine would suit your needs.
Hope it helps.

roadhard:
Universities too. But they tend to hire the folks who went to their school. Kinda works like that.

eggplant50:
Any big research hospital has a RSO (Radiation Safety Officer).  A Master's Degree and CHP certification will qualify you for those positions.  Hospitals that have large cancer therapy units or nuclear medicine departments will have need of a medical physicist. Being a CHP is usually qualification enough for the Medical physics position however, there is a certification from the ABMP (American Board of Medical Physics) that is sometimes required for these positions. The problem with finding employment in either of these positions is that there tends to not be a high turn-over rate for these jobs. If you are a HPS member there is a members only employment site that sometimes lists Medical Physics or RSO positions. I am in much the same position as you. I have my MS in Health Physics and have taken the CHP exam (waiting till November for the results  :-\) I would like to go into the medical field, however, I do not want to leave the area I live in, Therefore I am waiting for somebody to die so I can have their position ;). If you find a good listing of medically leaned jobs I would love to know about it. Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version