Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ELT's take vacation and make $5k

Author Topic: ELT's take vacation and make $5k  (Read 9559 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
ELT's take vacation and make $5k
« on: Sep 18, 2007, 04:57 »
One of the featured companies that posts jobs on NukeWorker, “Bartlett”, has a unique opportunity for some Navy ELT’s that can take a vacation immediately.  Peach Bottom is accepting ELT’s for their 2-3 week outage.  Report date is ASAP, and no later than Sept 26th.  The pay is between $2,000.00 and $2,400.00 a week.  Take your vacation, and make some serious cash.  – And get some good commercial power experience to boot.

If you or someone you know is interested, call Bartlett at 800-225-0385 x 1308 or use the link below.
http://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=4984
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2007, 06:23 by Rennhack »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: ELT's take vacation and make $5k
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2007, 05:01 »
I'm not sure how it works now, but if you got occupational exposure outside of BuMed/NavShips there could potentially be a problem. I would check on it prior to jumping on this offer.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2007, 07:11 »
Remember that all civilian employment must be approved by your command.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2007, 01:39 »
I think the key in his post was VACATION. :)

Justin

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2007, 07:35 »

Justin

Yes, but vacation is not a temporary seperation of service. I knew ELT's who did this in the late 70's but they had to get permission up front, I doubt that has changed. Your command may view the increased exposure as a limitation on thier emergancy exposure bank or an impediment to potential maintenence work this will depend on your command ( probably not an issue for CVNs).

Fermione

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2007, 08:16 »
I remember this happening back in the ealy 80s.  Commercial was one heck of a shock to those coming from the service.  IP2, 180 mr performing a survey inside the shield wall, I haven't got that much in 5 years in the Navy.
Fermione

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2007, 09:27 »

Justin

I think that Justin is making the opposite point here.  The Navy doesn't use the word "vacation".  They call it "leave", which is not the same as a vacation.  You are not free to do the things on leave that a civilian might be free to do.  Sailors still have to be sailors even on leave, and they need permission do work or travel.  They are subject to recall.
If I am reading it correctly, Justin is commenting on the fact that Bartlett might be asking sailors to do something that they (Bartlett) may not have studied well enough.
To my friends at Bartlett, I would caution; before you make offers to military personnel you should clear it with the government first.  There are also tax implications to paying per diem to someone who is getting a government housing allowance.  You should check with an accountant about the tax problems this might (or might not) cause.  Of course, there was no per diem mentioned in the post.  I think it is probably okay because they take away your housing allowance while you are on leave anyway.
You also have to be careful about publishing a rate of pay that is "$2,000.00 to $2,400.00 per week."  If the job pays hourly, you can't quote a weekly rate without the danger of someone expecting $2400 for that 40 hour week he just worked.  Be honest, for one of those weeks, an ELT might make less than $1000.

For all those ELT's reading this;  regardless of all those warnings, if you can get permission to do this, DO IT!!!
Mike is not offering a job on behalf of Bartlett.  He is just passing out some useful information to you.  Call the 800 number for all the actual details.  But, the odds are that you will make about $5000, plus per diem, plus you'll get to see s#!t that you never thought existed.  You'll have some stories to share with your buddies.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2007, 09:30 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2007, 01:17 »
Does it have to be an ELT? Could Sub tender RCSS's or RCM's do it also??? They may be more available than actual ELT's and some of them aren't ELT's (but they are 108 qualified)?

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2007, 03:08 »
Does it have to be an ELT? Could Sub tender RCSS's or RCM's do it also??? They may be more available than actual ELT's and some of them aren't ELT's (but they are 108 qualified)?

Mike

ELT or NAVSHIPS 108 qualed - need at least 4 yrs of 108 quals - Site Qual criteria will give 1:2 up to 24 mo's experience, thus qualifiying an individual as an 18.1 SHP.  Biercourt is right - its not an automatic $2,000 to $2,400 - that money is based on working 72-84 hrs per week...with that, per diem and bonuses it can add up to a good chunk of change. 
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2007, 08:10 »
My comment would be that so far, I have experienced great customer service from Exelon (Peach Bottom), Bartlett, and the various other contractors here. I have met many of the House Techs and it seems like it is going to be a good deal.

If you have the opportunity, by all means.

Jason

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2007, 10:27 »
I think that Justin is making the opposite point here.  The Navy doesn't use the word "vacation".  They call it "leave", which is not the same as a vacation.  You are not free to do the things on leave that a civilian might be free to do.  Sailors still have to be sailors even on leave, and they need permission do work or travel.  They are subject to recall.
If I am reading it correctly, Justin is commenting on the fact that Bartlett might be asking sailors to do something that they (Bartlett) may not have studied well enough.
To my friends at Bartlett, I would caution; before you make offers to military personnel you should clear it with the government first.  There are also tax implications to paying per diem to someone who is getting a government housing allowance.  You should check with an accountant about the tax problems this might (or might not) cause.  Of course, there was no per diem mentioned in the post.  I think it is probably okay because they take away your housing allowance while you are on leave anyway.
You also have to be careful about publishing a rate of pay that is "$2,000.00 to $2,400.00 per week."  If the job pays hourly, you can't quote a weekly rate without the danger of someone expecting $2400 for that 40 hour week he just worked.  Be honest, for one of those weeks, an ELT might make less than $1000.

For all those ELT's reading this;  regardless of all those warnings, if you can get permission to do this, DO IT!!!
Mike is not offering a job on behalf of Bartlett.  He is just passing out some useful information to you.  Call the 800 number for all the actual details.  But, the odds are that you will make about $5000, plus per diem, plus you'll get to see s#!t that you never thought existed.  You'll have some stories to share with your buddies.

Bingo! I was simply pointing out that it isn't as easy as taking a "vacation." :) If I was still in I would be jumping all over this. I passed the message and posts here to some of my old ELT buds that are still in.

Justin
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2007, 10:32 by JustinHEMI05 »

withroaj

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 08:29 »
I know that this post is way outdated, but I have to ask.  How often does stuff like this come up?  I am in kind of a stagnant position at work right now and would jump on an offer like this right now.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 09:29 »
Where are you stationed?  Millstone is having an outage this fall.  If you are at New London, BINGO!!  Call Bartlett and ask if they have any openings this fall.  If you are in Norfolk, or San Diego, there are plants near you too tht will be needing techs this fall.

Basically, this happens at least once every September through April every year.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?