Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How NOT to get a job

Author Topic: How NOT to get a job  (Read 21394 times)

B.PRESGROVE

Re: How NOT to get a job
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:04 »
Maybe in my time of working I havent had the opportunity of having a crummy interview, but I have never had an interview where folks were eating in front of me.  I would have the same attitude as Bradly in that respect.  They should have better prepared for the interview sessions, and not have been so unprofessional in the way they came accross. 

I think in this instance respect is a 2 way street here.  They should have been ontime with the interview not finishing lunch in front of anyone and coming across as "we have asked all our questions were done here" (way to much pride and "you are the little people" for my taste), and he should not have gone in expecting the world to be handed to him on a silver platter.  He does have the right to expect to be treated as a professional not just another number. 

I know the market is tight but does that justify treating anyone any different?

matthew.b

« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2008, 01:21 »
I'm in the non-nuke world right now, but I'm interviewing people right now so I think it's somewhat relevant.  We've recently been "re-educated" by our HR folks about how we interview.  The offer acceptance rate is plummeting so we are expected to "sell" the company during the interview now.

We're hiring for two engineers... we've done 9 interviews, extended 4 offers and had no takers so far.  And they aren't low ball offers either...

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2008, 05:06 »
bradley535......Welcome to the Civ'y World!

You did much better then I would have!  You dressed for the occasion, arrived on time and patiently waited in line.  When your turn came, you proceeded to the interview room and watched them eat their lunch?  I believe that would have clicked my humor button into overdrive!  One has to have the ability to read the room.  One would assume that the interviews would be held with a professional venue.  If the interviewers are distracted, (eating their lunch, cleaning their furniture, or fielding a dozen calls during the process), they either aren't interested, or have already make a decision!  Their just running through the formalities and the numbers.  The higher ups are actually interested in feedback from prospective candidate's experiences.  Maybe taking the time to supply it will bring a lead or two!

I mentioned cleaning furniture for a reason; I once attended an interview with a small local firm outside of Knoxville.  The interviewer was the VP and reminded me of that repeatedly.  During the interview he proceeded to clear, clean and reorganize his desk.  His train of thought was well outside of the interview room and he seemed more interested in giving me his resume then reviewing mine.  After about thirty minutes he asked me if I had any questions.  I informed him that I only had one, had he ever thought about hiring a cleaning service for his office?  He chuckled and asked why?  I informed him that he sucked at it! 

I was actually offered a position a week later, which I declined!

I don't recommend that type of response, but when you know your in a lose-lose proposition, go for the Gusto!

......and always remember; The Toes you Step on Today, May be Attached to the Arse you have to Kiss Tomorrow!

Have a Great Day......RG!   ;D

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2008, 09:52 »
yeah, that "office space" type stuff actually works for some situations, but many would never believe it because they would never think of acting like that. 

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2008, 01:10 »
Wow! I really didn't expect all of this response. I think some have the wrong idea about what I did though. I wasn't being a wise-guy when I asked the question of "What sets yourselves apart from the rest?" I really wanted to know, and feel that every company deserves the chance to sell themselves to me.
As for being thankful that they interviewed me, and that I should take what I can get??? No, no, no, NO!!! I am not looking for a job. I am looking for a career; a place to settle down. I won't take a job that I don't think I will enjoy. I understand that the nuclear world has some form of inner ring of seniority that most fields don't. That doesn't mean that I'm going to accept a position that comes by, just because it's a higher step than most think a new commercial nuke should be offered. I want to work for a company that treats all of it's workers well.
Here is an example of another company's approach. They invited me up to interview for a RO position. After their head of Human Resources called me personally, I was contacted by one of their recruiters. The contact personnel stated that I must have impressed him, because they now wanted to interview me for supervisory positions. I let them know that I was married... I know that sometimes this is not a good idea, but I wasn't going to be taking off my wedding ring for the interview anyway. Well, I'm glad I let them know, because they then invited my wife to join me. I was then contacted by a Realtor that the company set me up with. She wanted to take my wife and I around to different houses and get a feel for the community. I have yet to meet with anyone in this company personally, but I'm already impressed.
I would take a NLO position from this group LONG before considering the other company's offers, even an instant SRO position. "Why?", one might ask. Because, I can earn seniority as time goes by. No matter how much effort and hard work I put into a company, I can't make them better to their employees (Aside from my own part). In the end, all that matters is how happy you are; and, your work environment is a big part of that.
I may or may not end up in a nuclear field. I have no doubt in my mind that the money is vastly superior in the nuclear power sector, but I may not be able to find a career that I can enjoy in it. I can tell you this. Where ever I find a position, they will be glad they hired me. A lot of the reason for this is that I will be happy there, because I was picky. A happy worker is a productive worker; so YES, I will have my tar-tar sauce!

As for comments about EWS not meaning anything... You're wrong. Dead wrong. Anyone who's ever put in the monumental time and effort it takes to qualify knows better. It may not mean that you have anymore experience that directly relates to a civilian position, I don't know. What I do know is that very few of us were offered the chance to pick up the qual card. Even fewer were able to stand before the Captain and prove to him that they had the knowledge and maturity to be the senior person in the Engine Room. Anyone that can do that, myself included, has earned better than to hear that their efforts were nothing. They may not be appreciated, sure. But those who can't appreciate it will be missing out.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2008, 01:12 by bradley535 »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2008, 01:52 »
Well said! And, good luck! Keep us posted.

Justin

PS I know Exelon is the Evil Empire of nuclear power, but its the individual plants that matter. None of the horrible things I have read about Exelon at large exists at my plant, at least as far as I can tell. My interview was on time and professional and I have been treated very well during the entire process. And the company they use for relocation... love them.

PapaBear765

« Reply #31 on: Feb 28, 2008, 01:24 »
You earn respect.

Very true.  And one way that respect is earned is by showing it to others.  Like he said, the interviewers represent the company.  If they're all hosed up, then what are you supposed to think about the company?

Are you being inflammatory on purpose just for the sake of being inflammatory, Mike?  Rather than taking pride in lacking tact, why not try a little to gain some?  This guy wasn't suggesting that EWS is equivalent to SRO, nor did I get the impression that he thinks too highly of himself.

If more people turned the tables on the interviewers like that, then more companies would get their stuff together after they begin to hurt for people.  If they never run short of applicants/employees, then they can run themselves how ever they wish.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2008, 01:26 by PapaBear765 (3363) »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?